Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-02-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
MJK

Where's Chad? :(
Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kris Jenkins stood out this game, and Revis made a brilliant play at the end to seal the victory. very nice to be sitting 5-3
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys know who's good? David Harris.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
MJK

Possibly good Gholston news?!?!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...to-LT-for-help

ANYTHING that shows he cares is great news to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post

Could my baseless skepticism over his alleged lack of desire be proving true?
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question: How many game ending in the endzone interceptions has Darrelle Revis had this year? I know it is at least 2, probably 3.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Question: How many game ending in the endzone interceptions has Darrelle Revis had this year? I know it is at least 2, probably 3.
The real question is what deity impregnated his mother to result in his virgin birth?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I believe it's 3. Miami, Arizona, and now Buffalo. He certainly is quite the stud muffin at corner.

Interesting that Lowery got benched towards the end of last week's game, I think teams know he's beatable and don't want to mess with Revis so they just pick on him, which probably makes him look worse than he actually is. Still, it makes who our starter across Revis down the road will be a bit more of a question than it was earlier in the season.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I have a lot of theories about Brett Favre's poor play, I'm wondering which one people think is the most realistic or if it may be a combination of a few.

1.Favre is just getting old and he is going to be inconsistent. After all, he did just have one amazing game that really inflated his stats

2.The hits he took the last few weeks has him hurt more than he is letting on and it is affecting his play.

3.The poor o-line play just isn't giving him enough time and he keeps getting hit while he throws.(This applies to a few of his ints but i dont think this is the main cause)

4. He still isn't fully in synch with his receivers.

5. The coaches are forcing him into an offense that he isn't familiar with. Perhaps a bit too conservative?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post

That is news i like to see. I'm hoping for the best. Initiative baby. I like the first lesson: 'Even if you are going to screw up, screw up going 100%' That is exactly what i've said i want to see!

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
That is news i like to see. I'm hoping for the best. Initiative baby. I like the first lesson: 'Even if you are going to screw up, screw up going 100%' That is exactly what i've said i want to see!
I agree. Whenever you hear a guy come into the 3-4 they always sound tentative and talk about how much more thinking is involved. I think guys struggling not to make mistakes rather than working to make plays is a problem. LT's point is a good one that a mistake you make when trying to make a play and going all out is much better than a mistake made when trying to avoid screwing up.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

If Tim Tebow is there do you want him?
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I certainly don't, but i'm personally not a fan....

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with TGJV on this one. Not opposed to a QB if it's the right guy but I don't like Tebow.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Not a fan of Tebow either.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im opposed to drafting a QB for these reasons:
A)Clemens
B)Ratliff
C)Ainge

I know their all young, but realistically if the Jets are going to be competetive next year they're going to have to throw some money at Favre and then give the reigns over to Clemens or Ratliff

Clemens showed great ability to run a 2 minute offense, but struggled seemingly because of poor offensive line play.Another year learning and getting used to things could prove valuable.

Ratliff showed me a lot in the preseason (which is just that preseason) but he made Clowney look really good and lead the league in passing for those 4 games (he kept Ainge on the sideline). Clowney has been injured though which has limited his playing time, but he's been listed as probable the past few games and hasn't played so imagine if Ratliff played with #1's. I think he made some dumb mistakes but some great plays (sound like anyone to you?)

Ainge showed absolutely nothing except being a big pocket passer who is stable enough to make reads but not one who can function with any pressure. That said it is rare that teams draft QBs two years in a row especially with other young QBs. The last thing we need is a high risk/profile Bust at QB...

Let's work with what we have I think Favre will play next season mainly because I think the potential on the team has peaked his curiosity and LC might guilt trip him into coming back.

Additionally, we have a lot of minor needs that could use addressing
3-4 DE, Ellis is playing well, but he and COleman are old and having a rotation would be good for everyone. (Tyson Jackson comes to mind). We need a backup NT with size because Pouha is just not a 34 NT he gets run on too much and can barely get by one blocker let a lone command two. That along with two older DEs doesn't help on the downs he is in (pass rushing 3rd downs when Jenkins is winded) (BJ Raji in the 2nd or 3rd)

I think S is worth addressing in the 2nd or 3rd to compliment Rhodes...Elam and Smith are both ok but not good enough to make teams stop throwing the under route over the middle. Upgrade is definitely a possibility

ILB also bears investment...David Bowens is not the answer for a backup ILB he's ok but Bartion and Bowens are both over 30 and if Harris is out (like he is now) we realize how valuable the position becomes...I would love to get younger, but that said I love Barton's physicality and how he compliments Harris...If Gholston shows strides towards the end of the season don't be surprised to see him or Pace move inside some plays to get the best pass rushing package on the field aka Harris Pace Gholston and Thomas (again if he progresses)...Also if we add another big NT next season we could run a similar package to the Pats 2-5...In my little ideal world...Jenkins, Raji, Thomas, Barton, Harris, Pace, Gholston. That could potentially be a freakishly strong and deceptive STRONG NICKLE package that could attack or stunt from unknown angles or stay back while still applying pressure.

On the offensive side of the ball we should address RT...This could come early and if we address it I hope it does. I would like a Phil Loadholt in the second. I think Woody is a stop gap I don't think he has merited a renewed contract but we'll see down the stretch...RT on the line is most pressing but a backup guard comes to mind as well.

I think the Jets have had some success scouting RBs in the draft...Leon...Ward (Giants) scouted well and loved him but the Giants had a spot and swooped him off the Practice squad...I think a later round back (4th or 5th) who could succeed TJ in a couple of years would be a good pickup. That late would be a good investment for the future and to spell both leon and TJ down the stretch of the season...Jesse Chatman is not the answer for that role, but I do think we need an effective 3rd back on the roster.

Other than those positions:
QB: Addressed above
RB: Addressed right here
FB: I see a potential hole at FB if Richardson leaves (but I would love to see him re-signed), FA can help there if needed
WR: Too many to choose from (LC, JC, Brad Smith, Stuckey, Clowney, Wright)
TE: Baker might be back, but look for Keller and Franks to be the tandem next season
OT: Brick is doing ok this season, but RT addressed above
OG: Faneca is under performing for his contract and Moore is playing ok, but a backup like I said could be a good addition late
C: Solid

DE: Addressed above
NT: Addressed above
OLB: Stacked...if Gholston comes around GODLY...I love Thomas and Pace (although they are spotty with sacks they are constant with pressure and push) and Murrel hasn't played terribly either, especially on special teams
ILB: Addressed above
CB: Revis is a stud, Lowery seems above average, but is thrown at so much plays are bound to be given up...like the way he plays the run. Miller hopefully will play again one day, Poteat and Coleman are adaptable and haven't heard much from Barret except that TD from the SD game so yea he's having a great year like a Long Snapper bc he's not being talked about
FS: STUD
SS: Addressed above

K: OK not problem enough to draft
P: Perhaps a FA or 7th rounder (no one stands out) but Hodges has been great holding and sometimes with his punts

LS: Dearth you rock my world...

Coaching: Can we draft Brain Billick to be our O.C.? or Bill Cowher to be our H.C.

Im getting sick of the style Mangini and Schottenheimer use and I want more consistent plays and mentality as opposed to stretching the offense thin in order to adapt week by week for opponents...sometimes teams are just not as good as yours and you can play your game and they wont beat you regardless of their strengths...You game plan for teams who merit gameplanning, like divisional rivals who know your team or elite teams, not the Raiders...when you try to gameplan specifically for the raiders instead of saying let's play JETS football (whatever that means...which is a problem) you outthink yourself as a coach and don't win a game youre supposed to.

Overall I like the players on our team, not the direction the coached want to take thier skills (Not Favre though, we need to calm down the INTs aka give more touches to TJ whos ripping it up and to Leon who has always deserved more touches)

PS to Leon Washington if you ever read this, that was ABSOLUTELY the most heads up special teams play I've EVER seen in a football game when you stepped out of bounds for that Bills Kickoff. Touchez sir...

Thoughts?

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 11-06-2008 at 03:48 PM.
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

hcbrad08 that is a nice write up. When I have time I'd like to actually make some comments about it

Outstanding play by our defense today.

Next week is a BIG game, considering we are tied in the AFC East and that we play the Titans the week after.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
hcbrad08 that is a nice write up. When I have time I'd like to actually make some comments about it

Outstanding play by our defense today.

Next week is a BIG game, considering we are tied in the AFC East and that we play the Titans the week after.
I love the fact that we have the NE game on thurs, when we're finally hitting our stride, then we have the mini bye before the TEN game. Fortunate scheduling

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Nice to see Rhodes' stats start to come through, he's made some real nice plays on the ball when he's been given a chance, which from what i've seen, hasn't been all that often. He's appeared to soften in run support, not wanting to get dirty, but his coverage skills have looked very solid. Is it me or has his role changed a fair bit over the years.

Elam has made a few game changing plays the last 2 weeks. The sack FF agains the Rams in the end didn't relaly make a huge difference in the outcome, but it came when things were at least still interesting. That along with his INT/TD against Buffalo, and he's looking pretty solid out there. I'll take those types of plays from a 'role' guy anyday. Hope he keeps this up.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
ams
Rookie

ams hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It's just you....no offense.

I don't think I've ever seen Rhodes play this well. I think he's getting better if anything. I disagree with the run support comment as well, I've seen a number of occasions were he has made big tackles from behind the line or where he's pushed the pile to help stuff the run. Check the stats to see how many tackled he has for a loss....I'd be curious to find out that. But yea, I think Rhodes has been pronominal. Perhaps he's not blitzing AS much as he used to, but I think he's still been equally effective. Plus, we have the third best pass rush and the 5th best run defense in the NFL, so we don't necessarily need him to do that stuff right now, we have something like the 17th best pass defense. And I think he's done his part in coverage, more than done his part actually. A few big plays come to mind, for instance the interception Poteat had in the endzone last game was because Rhodes tipped the ball to Poteat.

I think we need to find a shutdown corner opposite Revis though. Lowery has more than held his own this year, but he's not starting material..yet at least. He's made some tremendous plays, absolutely, but he's blown coverage and made some dumb penalties as well. I'd prefer him as a nickel. We also need an LB who can cover the middle of the field. Maybe it's because we lost Harris recently, but I think our LB's are doing a pretty poor job in coverage.

Is Elam good or not? I can't tell if safety is a position we need to draft or not, I mean I feel like part of the reason our pass defense is not great is because of him....because it's clearly not because of our pass rush, Rhodes, or Revis, but I've only sen good plays from Elam, so where is it going wrong? Why is our pass defense not great?

Last edited by ams : 11-10-2008 at 03:23 PM.
ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
It's just you....no offense.

I don't think I've ever seen Rhodes play this well. I think he's getting better if anything. I disagree with the run support comment as well, I've seen a number of occasions were he has made big tackles from behind the line or where he's pushed the pile to help stuff the run. Check the stats to see how many tackled he has for a loss....I'd be curious to find out that. But yea, I think Rhodes has been pronominal. Perhaps he's not blitzing AS much as he used to, but I think he's still been equally effective. Plus, we have the third best pass rush and the 5th best run defense in the NFL, so we don't necessarily need him to do that stuff right now, we have something like the 17th best pass defense. And I think he's done his part in coverage, more than done his part actually. A few big plays come to mind, for instance the interception Poteat had in the endzone last game was because Rhodes tipped the ball to Poteat.

I think we need to find a shutdown corner opposite Revis though. Lowery has more than held his own this year, but he's not starting material..yet at least. He's made some tremendous plays, absolutely, but he's blown coverage and made some dumb penalties as well. I'd prefer him as a nickel. We also need an LB who can cover the middle of the field. Maybe it's because we lost Harris recently, but I think our LB's are doing a pretty poor job in coverage.

Is Elam good or not? I can't tell if safety is a position we need to draft or not, I mean I feel like part of the reason our pass defense is not great is because of him....because it's clearly not because of our pass rush, Rhodes, or Revis, but I've only sen good plays from Elam, so where is it going wrong? Why is our pass defense not great?
On that note, we just signed Ty Law and he's expected to play Thurs

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/10/jets-sign-cb-law/

Don't really know what to think. Surprised to say the least

Sig by Me
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
On that note, we just signed Ty Law and he's expected to play Thurs

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/10/jets-sign-cb-law/

Don't really know what to think. Surprised to say the least
Not so sure he's the answer.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Anyone own a Ty Law jersey? Might be time to break that bad boy out one more time LOL.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Not so sure he's the answer.
Which is why i am perplexed by the signing...

Sig by Me
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Which is why i am perplexed by the signing...
I was agreeing, but rather than being a goon and simply saying" I agree" I decided to use my own words to illustrate the same point and by doing that I thought that would portray my agreement.