Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I was agreeing, but rather than being a goon and simply saying" I agree" I decided to use my own words to illustrate the same point and by doing that I thought that would portray my agreement.
Ahhhh, makes sense

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We cut Justin Miller to do this don't be surprised if the Pats pick him up off of waivers bc of how bad their secondary is and bc they would stick it to the Jets at least on kickoffs with Miller and Hobbs.

Mangini said Miller was just an outside RCB and couldnt play nickle or move to safety to add to his value for the team. Now Law will play inside at nickle and dime he'll also play some safety. Apparently, Mangini thought Law could have some impact in this game.

-Barrett
-Poteat
-Coleman
-Law

All play both S and CB... I like it

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
It's just you....no offense.

I don't think I've ever seen Rhodes play this well. I think he's getting better if anything. I disagree with the run support comment as well, I've seen a number of occasions were he has made big tackles from behind the line or where he's pushed the pile to help stuff the run. Check the stats to see how many tackled he has for a loss....I'd be curious to find out that. But yea, I think Rhodes has been pronominal. Perhaps he's not blitzing AS much as he used to, but I think he's still been equally effective. Plus, we have the third best pass rush and the 5th best run defense in the NFL, so we don't necessarily need him to do that stuff right now, we have something like the 17th best pass defense. And I think he's done his part in coverage, more than done his part actually. A few big plays come to mind, for instance the interception Poteat had in the endzone last game was because Rhodes tipped the ball to Poteat.

I didn't by any means say that Rhodes has played poorly....far from it, i think he has done very well, but his role in the defense has changed. He is far more deep man coverage than i remember. As a result of that, his role in the run game has decreased, even though i agree, he has been efficient when playing the run. It isn't so much how he's played that i was referring to, it is how the defense is using him. Regardless, i'm happy with how he's done, but i do feel on the regular, he doesn't hit with the aggressiveness that he once did.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My post regarding Lawrence Maroney and the Jets.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...8&postcount=25

What do you guys think?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'd be down for it. My concern is that he seems to be injury prone....but when he is used to a sufficient degree he seems to be pretty effective. I like the way he runs, and i think he has talent. As usual, it depends on the required offer, but i think he would be a solid addition, and could be cheaper than a draft selection, get division rival info, and go somewhere else in the draft, if that is somewhere we are looking. Jones isn't getting younger, but isn't in need of an immediate replacement, but i guess it never hurts since Maroney has never been an actual feature back. I like Maroney, but i also hate him because he's a Patriot.....

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 AM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so as a raiders fan i was just wondering if justin miller was worth signing. I think they picked him up as a nickel/dime back and as a return man, is he still a viable option as a returner or has he flamed out already and how are his man cover skills?
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

We cut him for Ty Law. Lets keep that in mind.

I wish I could give you more info, but I can't honestly remember the last time I saw him play. I only hear what everyone else hears.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

He has been injured the majority of the time. He was hard to get a read on as a DB because of that. Nice return guy, but the way Washington has excelled, who knows how special he is. He has physical ability, I liked him coming in, but like i said maybe 2 weeks ago when we were discussing him, it is tough to gauge because he's always hurt. He wasn't adding anything to the team....he is however, a typical Raider guy. Physical attributes and speed in the secondary...

Quote:
Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

BIG WIN.

We needed this considering we play Tennessee next week.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brad Smith needs to run the ball more for you guys, the man is electric.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even though they gave up a lead and did all they could to blow the game in the second half, the Jets stayed tough and won the game. They were able to drive down the field when they needed to and this could be a win that defines the identity of the team. Favre played well because we didn't ask him to do too much. We were able to combine the pass heavy/aggressive offense and the overly conservative offense we used against the bengals to create a balanced attack. The last two weeks have shown that Keller is a huge weapon that can help be a safety valve for Favre rather than having him force it into double and triple coverage.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I really like what i've seen from the offense, they have put up points, and appear to be reliable when it counts. However, i'm not impressed with the defensive play-calling in that last drive. It was basically, lets play to hopefully win in the end, or 'lets hope they run out of time'. You play to win the game, don't play like pansy's, what was that overly prevent defense crap. 3 man rush? The Watson TD was pathetic. Moss is shut down, but lets try something new on the last play. I know it was super close and an outstanding catch, but the opportunity presented itself because of the defense called.

Weak, that's all i can say.

Huge win though, i'm very happy, even if i don't show it here

Quote:
Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
I really like what i've seen from the offense, they have put up points, and appear to be reliable when it counts. However, i'm not impressed with the defensive play-calling in that last drive. It was basically, lets play to hopefully win in the end, or 'lets hope they run out of time'. You play to win the game, don't play like pansy's, what was that overly prevent defense crap. 3 man rush? The Watson TD was pathetic. Moss is shut down, but lets try something new on the last play. I know it was super close and an outstanding catch, but the opportunity presented itself because of the defense called.

Weak, that's all i can say.

Huge win though, i'm very happy, even if i don't show it here
The D really was absolutely awful, especially that last drive. Is it just me or did the level of intensity seem to come down a little bit after we went up 24-6? We kind of seemed content to let the game play itself out without being super aggressive offensively or defensively, and it almost cost us big time. It would've been nice to put 60 minutes of high-level football together.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
The D really was absolutely awful, especially that last drive. Is it just me or did the level of intensity seem to come down a little bit after we went up 24-6? We kind of seemed content to let the game play itself out without being super aggressive offensively or defensively, and it almost cost us big time. It would've been nice to put 60 minutes of high-level football together.
I agree. This wasn't the first game this year where we came out flat in the second half, after establishing solid leads in the first.....that needs to be corrected, both Arizona and NE gave us battles, and they shouldn't have been close.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
I agree. This wasn't the first game this year where we came out flat in the second half, after establishing solid leads in the first.....that needs to be corrected, both Arizona and NE gave us battles, and they shouldn't have been close.
I don't really think the players are to blame though. The playcalling just looked to be uber-conservative. It's happened in a lot of games where we've taken a big lead, we start to call a really conservative game and then our opponents come back and we have to scrap for the win.

If you think about it we were even flat offensively in the second half against the Rams. Or the Dolphins game for example, where we were all over them for three quarters then stopped blitzing Pennington and needed the pick in the endzone from Revis to seal it. The Arizona game was just one where after the opposing team came back we had time to get aggressive again and really go after it and take the lead.

I just think the opposing coaching staff needs to get the memo that just because we have a big lead doesn't mean other teams are going to roll over and let us win. It's the NFL, if you aren't aggressive you can get snakebit. We need to keep our foot on the gas until the game is over, not just probably out of reach because we've dominated and have a big lead. If we keep letting opponents stay alive, we are going to get burned.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

I'm wondering from my fellow Jets fans, how do the Jets rank, to you, amongst the other teams in the NFL?

My view is that they are a slightly above average team in the league, considering a few things.

The general AFC powerhouse teams have had slow starts and/or are struggling/suffering from injuries. Last couple of seasons, 10-6 wasn't even a guarantee to make playoffs in the AFC, but I'm less concerned about that now.

The Jets were able to split with NE, and take the first from both Miami and Buffalo. This is HUGE, considering how close the division is. Everyone in the AFC East, even with Buffalo's struggles recently, has been playing competitive football.

The reason I would hesitate to say anything more then slightly above average is the fact that the Jets, besides this last game, haven't really beaten a dominate team yet. Blown out against SD as well poor play against Oakland and KC still does concern me. I said at the start of the season that if the Jets wanted a shot at making playoffs, they have to take advantage of their easy schedule like they have every other previous year and win the games they "should".

It was great to win against NE, and this weeks game will really tell us a lot about where we stand. However, the Jets still can take advantage of their schedule, with the amount of winnable games they have left.

I'm not really using their 7-3 record to rate them either. The Jets are in a great position to make a run for the playoffs.

So, where do you guys rank them? Top 10 team in the NFL? Top 15? Do you see them as divisional winners, wild card, or missing playoffs?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Prior to the year, i thought that we just needed to survived the early struggles that were obviously going to come with all the new faces. I think we did that, and are obviously hitting our groove at a good time. I'm trying not to get too excited, but i really think that the sky is the limit this year. Right now we are a top 10 team, but we still have alot of improvements to make and we are just starting to form a real identity.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd say we're a fringe top 10 team, maybe in the 8-13 range. Should make the playoffs, hopefully as a division winner if we take care of business. One win that gets slightly underrated IMO is the victory over a very solid Arizona team. And all divisional wins are good ones in my eyes, this is a solid division and divisional games in the AFC East are always rough anyways. Because of the parity in the league right now I think we are capable of being competitive with every team in the league right now. We've good, and next week will do a lot in telling us where exactly we stand in the scheme of things. I do wish we would really put games away for good instead of let teams hang around with conservative playcalling, though. Just don't see that killer instinct that great teams have yet, but I'm not sure if that's the coaching staff or not.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that if the coaching staff allowed the team, especially the defense, to stay aggressive throughout the game then we could beat anyone. We are a completely different team than the one that was blown out by SD at the beginning of the season. They really have gotten better with each game(minus a few exceptions). The biggest issue is the secondary. It always gets revealed when the coaching staff calls off the blitz and gets conservative. Lowery, Poteat, Law are all decent, but they are going to get abused without a big time pass rush.

Little Team Summary
Offense- It can be explosive in the air or pound it on the ground. Thomas Jones has been one of the most prolific backs in the league and Leon is a great weapon. If the attack is balanced then Favre makes fewer mistakes. He is still a great qb who can win games on his own, but he does much better with a strong running game(as is the case with all qbs). Our receiving group is one of the best in the league with the emergence of Keller. Last week it was clear that other people were open because he forced the pats to pay more attention to him.

Defense- Pressure is the key. Ellis, Bowens, Pace, etc. We need a lot of pressure on the qb. The corner opposite Revis will always be exploited. And whoever our safety opposite Rhodes is(Smith/Elam) can't cover. It might be smart to try Law/Barrett more at safety. The biggest thing for the D, as many have mentioned, is play calling and intensity.

Special Teams-Leon. Feely is really talented and has been clutch but can be inconsistent. Hodges is pretty average. Leon=God.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:51 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

To address a few posts randomly in bullet point form...

-The D in the 2nd half of the Pats game was playing PREVENT (That's bad coaching)

-Jets are a top 10 team (Should be 8-2, which is why theyre not a top 5)

-Great matchup position by position this sunday (it will be close)

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post

-Jets are a top 10 team (Should be 8-2, which is why theyre not a top 5)
I'm not a fan of this argument, as I could also just as easily say they should be 4-6. (Lucky Favre toss up TD against Miami, which we won by six, close game against KC we could have just as easily lost, as well as saying we COULD have lost to NE).

Just because it was a close game, doesn't mean we should have won by any means.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Ainge suspended for steroids/related substances.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3718028
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Ainge suspended for steroids/related substances.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3718028
Just opening the door for Brett Ratliff a little more.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That clipboard must be really heavy if Ainge needed to bulk up with steroids
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heys guys. Just wanted to wish ya'll luck tomorrow (*crosses fingers behind his back* :D ). I'm stoked about it!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote