Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Ellis was arrested on marijuana possession.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3746304

I wonder what kind of punishment he will get by the team or the league. Really, unfortunate news.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely not something we need. Ugh. Terrible.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Ellis was arrested on marijuana possession.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3746304

I wonder what kind of punishment he will get by the team or the league. Really, unfortunate news.
Im kinda shocked actually, Ellis has always seemed like a smart guy and a good guy off the field. Losing him for any amount of time is awful. He has been great this year and it will be hard to replace him for any amount of time.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

Im still pissed i went to the Denver game. Didnt want to go but was "peer pressured".
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
Im still pissed i went to the Denver game. Didnt want to go but was "peer pressured".
I'm going to the Miami game, which is the last game of the season. Did you stay for the entire game?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This has been a pitiful performance today, especially given the huge playoff implications that it has.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:57 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I put the last two games 100% on mangini and co.

Complete lack of preparation and sense of urgency. TJ has 10 carries today?? WTF??? Defensive playcalling has been absolutely terrible, getting zero pressure on the QB and playing soft coverage on every play. This team has shown no passion the last two weeks and it's painful to watch

This entire year we have completely sucked whenever we are the favorite, that is 100% on the coaching staff.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

10 carries for TJ? Is this some sort of joke? It was never a blow out situation. What the hell is wrong with Mangini? I'm getting really annoyed with Mangini and his stupidity, i can't even describe it. Honestly, i know he had a real good first year, and we have a solid record this season, but i really don't think he knows what the hell he's doing. There have been a number of games where he just seems to abandon the run game for no reason....and it is getting on my damn nerves!

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to die. How are they not going to make the playoffs? I always had it in the back of my head that it was possible, but I didn't fully believe it as more than an outside shot until now.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Well, Buffalo is on a slide, which helps. Seahawks aren't very good in any facet, and we get to play Miami for what could be the game that determines whether we make it. Basically, our fate is in our hands, and if the team is good enough, we should make it, if not, we only lose a 3rd for Favre (a way of looking positively) and we know we didn't deserve it (and maybe Mangini gets fired, which i wouldn't be saddened by)

Quote:
Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

A bit close for comfort today, but a win is a win.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Those tickets I got for week 17 are looking more and more important.....

I'm pretty sure the Jets are 0-3 on their trips to the West Coast this year. I hope they are ready.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those tickets I got for week 17 are looking more and more important.....

I'm pretty sure the Jets are 0-3 on their trips to the West Coast this year. I hope they are ready.
Yup. Chargers, Raiders, 49ers. They'd best be ready and fired up. It'd also be nice if we started to run the ball some. And Leon Washington needs more touches.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yup. Chargers, Raiders, 49ers. They'd best be ready and fired up. It'd also be nice if we started to run the ball some. And Leon Washington needs more touches.
I agree Leon needs more touches. Seemed they got away from that in the two losses.

Did you see Vernon was inactive today. Can't say as I blame them, but wow...really liked him coming out. Hopefully he just needs time to develop.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
disgruntledjetsfan
Rookie

disgruntledjetsfan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I agree Leon needs more touches. Seemed they got away from that in the two losses.

Did you see Vernon was inactive today. Can't say as I blame them, but wow...really liked him coming out. Hopefully he just needs time to develop.

Yeah and we had no pass rush today. We need to do something to pressure the QB, I know Buffalo has a massive OL, but JP Losman appeared to have massive amounts of time to throw the ball (so did Brett Favre - our OL looked great). That needs to change. I wish Gholston was ready to contribute like we hoped he would be.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are the results from the Forum Mock. Being the Gm was fun. Why didn't any of you apply? Jbond just gave me a team that nobody took, but I enjoyed it.

Grade this:

New York Jets

Trades:

"Selling High"
Trade: Sent RB Thomas Jones to the Houston Texans in exchange for a 3rd round pick (#90 Overall)
Logic: Jones is coming off a great season after an otherwise pedestrian career. We credit his success to Favre's impact on the game. He has hit the dreaded 30 year old mark for a RB. So we consider trading him now as "selling high". This is a great way to score some value and cap off his 2 year rental considering the minimal cost it took to get him and the production we've received in return.

"Finding the right fit at the right value"
3 way Trade (NYJ-ATL-BAL): Sent our First Rounder (18 overall) in exchange for LB Jarrett Johnson, a First Rounder (28 overall) and a Third Rounder (83 overall)
Logic: At the 18 overall pick, we did not see a player available that could blow us away. Honestly, we liked Taylor Mays, Brandon Spikes, and Herman Johnson (as a RT prospect). With Mays off the board, we looked for a trade down and found a deal we liked and still ended up with Spikes who we really wanted badly. Jarrett Johnson was more than just a toss in, as we like his youth and the depth he provides in addition to his experience as a 3-4 OLB.

"On Attack"
Trade: Sent our 2nd Round pick (51 overall) and 3rd Round pick (90 overall) for Jacksonville's 2nd Round pick (40 overall).
Logic: We had 1 player in mind and 1 player only who we were desperately pursuing. RB Shonn Greene. We were discussing with teams who had picks in the late 1st to the early 2nd to see if we could move up. We felt strongly that we had to jump ahead of Philly at the least. We finally found a partner in JAX and were elated to grab Greene.

Draft Picks:

28. New York Jets (f/ BAL) – Brandon Spikes LB/Florida
Logic: Brandon Spikes is an incredible player who has proven to be one of the country's elite LB prospects. We wanted to pair him inside the heart of our Defense alongside David Harris in our 3-4 scheme to give us one of the brightest duos in the league for a very long time.

40. New York Jets (f/ JAC) - Shonn Greene RB/Iowa
Logic: With Leon "Sparky" Washington we wanted to add a back that better compliments his "breakaway" ability. Shonn Greene reminds us of Marion Barber's violent running style. He's got great balance and power in a compact frame, always falls forward, has a great spin move, stiff arm... and most off all never goes down upon first contact. He was the ONE player in the draft that we set out to get from the very beginning. Landing him set the War Room in celebration.

79. New York Jets (f/ NO) - Derrick Williams WR/Penn State
Logic: Laverneous Coles is getting old, Jericho Cotchery is a nice possession receiver, Dustin Keller is more like a tall WR than TE and he gives us a big receiving target. What's missing is a speed burner to turn up the sidelines and stretch the field. We targeted him going into the draft and landing him brought great satisfaction. D-Will will get time in the slot from the start but has the potential to become much more than that if he develops. We feel the WRs corps is now well rounded with nice talent.

83. New York Jets (f/ ATL) - Vance Walker DT/Georgia Tech
Logic: Our front 3 got a boost with the addition of Kris Jenkins, but at DE, Shaun Ellis is our only capable end. Kenyon Coleman is a depth guy being asked to start. At 6-3, 295, Vance Walker not only has ideal size for the 3-4 DE position, but he has the pass rushing mentality. There were other prospects with similar size, but Walker had the pass rushing skillset and repitoire that separated him from other available prospects and fit what we were looking for. His addition will boost our front 7 and Mangini can continue to add complexities to his schemes now that the right people and the right talents are in place.

Last edited by D-Unit : 12-15-2008 at 11:57 AM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like it. My one and only criticism is that Derrick Williams, while talented, doesn't address the size issue in the receiving corps. Obviously at that point in the draft you can't really go for size and speed and get some polish as well at that point in the draft and Williams isn't a bad player, but size there would be nice as well. We really only have the tight ends for size and they aren't that big either (6'2 for Keller and 6'3 for Baker I believe). Also not exactly sure where Johnson fits in with Pace, Thomas, Gholston, and a little Bowens as well who flips back and forth between ILB and OLB, can play both, and is more of a natural OLB, but you can't have too many pass rushers and he's solid so it's tough to question. Overall if that actually happened come draft day I'd be really, really happy with it. Spikes is an awesome fit next to Harris in the middle and I absolutely love Shonn Greene for us. Great to get an end in there as well. Kind of tough to part with Jones especially because of his locker room presence and what he's done this year but better to get rid of a guy a year too early I guess.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
He needs better coaches.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

I posted before that I would have applied but it was during finals. Did you do this draft assuming that Favre would stay another year? Did this effect your draft at all / the talent of senior QBs in this draft.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I posted before that I would have applied but it was during finals. Did you do this draft assuming that Favre would stay another year? Did this effect your draft at all / the talent of senior QBs in this draft.
I did assume Favre would be back. I think he'll be back for at least 2 more seasons too. I figured with Clemens and Ainge that you had enough young untested arms. I wouldn't have drafted any QBs in the first 3 rounds.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I like it. My one and only criticism is that Derrick Williams, while talented, doesn't address the size issue in the receiving corps. Obviously at that point in the draft you can't really go for size and speed and get some polish as well at that point in the draft and Williams isn't a bad player, but size there would be nice as well. We really only have the tight ends for size and they aren't that big either (6'2 for Keller and 6'3 for Baker I believe). Also not exactly sure where Johnson fits in with Pace, Thomas, Gholston, and a little Bowens as well who flips back and forth between ILB and OLB, can play both, and is more of a natural OLB, but you can't have too many pass rushers and he's solid so it's tough to question. Overall if that actually happened come draft day I'd be really, really happy with it. Spikes is an awesome fit next to Harris in the middle and I absolutely love Shonn Greene for us. Great to get an end in there as well. Kind of tough to part with Jones especially because of his locker room presence and what he's done this year but better to get rid of a guy a year too early I guess.
Johnson was strictly a toss in in that trade. I tried to get Demetrius Williams or Antwan Barnes, but they weren't biting. With D-Will it was a speed vs size thing. I did consider Heyward-Bey in round 1, but I liked Spikes a lot more. So it was between D-Will and Brian Robiskie in the 3rd and I pulled the trigger on D-Will factoring in how much he impacted Penn St. Without him, they'd be a different team. Without Robiskie, OSU wouldn't have missed a beat. Williams also has versatility in the return game... and the plan is to give Leon Washington more snaps... I think that is important... and with more snaps, that means you have to relieve him of some kick return duties. D-Will can easily help out in that department. Also, Robiskie isn't that much taller than Keller... but no one on the Jets roster has the kind of speed and talent that Williams has. Stretching the field helps to keep defenses honest... preventing them from keeping 8 in the box which helps the run. ...and with Favre's arm, there's no one currently who really allows Brett to take advantage of his deep throws... and that's not a good thing.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Johnson was strictly a toss in in that trade. I tried to get Demetrius Williams or Antwan Barnes, but they weren't biting. With D-Will it was a speed vs size thing. I did consider Heyward-Bey in round 1, but I liked Spikes a lot more. So it was between D-Will and Brian Robiskie in the 3rd and I pulled the trigger on D-Will factoring in how much he impacted Penn St. Without him, they'd be a different team. Without Robiskie, OSU wouldn't have missed a beat. Williams also has versatility in the return game... and the plan is to give Leon Washington more snaps... I think that is important... and with more snaps, that means you have to relieve him of some kick return duties. D-Will can easily help out in that department. Also, Robiskie isn't that much taller than Keller... but no one on the Jets roster has the kind of speed and talent that Williams has. Stretching the field helps to keep defenses honest... preventing them from keeping 8 in the box which helps the run. ...and with Favre's arm, there's no one currently who really allows Brett to take advantage of his deep throws... and that's not a good thing.
Ah gotcha on Johnson. You had me fooled in your writeup with the "Johnson was more than just a toss-in" comment there. Like I said even though I'm not sure how much he'll see the field it can't hurt to add another guy that can get after the quarterback.

I understand the logic behind the Williams pick, especially the return value with Leon Washington getting more touches on offense. Just pointing out that our WR corps is missing more than just speed. Obviously it's tough to get a guy with both size and speed at that point so to take a guy that's good at one rather than medicre at both who will impact special teams on top of it is obviously a nice find at that point. One name to keep in mind, though, is David Clowney. A little raw at the moment and he hasn't gotten on the field until last game mostly due to injury, but he's the one guy with legit speed on our roster that can get deep. Unfortunately at this point he can't make much of an impact so I'm not saying we don't need to get more speed at the position at all, but we do have a talented fast guy on the roster, albeit just one.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So...we got seven guys in the Pro Bowl. Five alternates. Not bad...
Old 12-16-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Did we have any guys in the Pro Bowl last year?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nope, Rhodes and maybe Leon as a returner should have made it last year, but didn't
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote