Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Farve just better retire hes done. We got 3 youg QBs on our roster and you cant tell me that none of them can not take over and have a pretty good season. They all have cannons for arms so thats a start
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre better retire before FA starts.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have absolutely no qualms with cutting him. It's the right move, I don't care about PR or anything else. We need the cap space and he isn't nearly worth the money. If he was anybody else or maybe even played any other position he'd be gone, just get it done move on and bring some new players in.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Look the bottom line though is this.. if you don't find a way to keep him.. you lose out on the chance at signing Ray Lewis.. he already has said multiple times playing in NY with Farve is attractive along with Rex Ryan as the HC and his defensive schemes surely to be implemented and follow his philosophies
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think that factors in at all. I think that's just a name he's attracted to. I think the unquestionable big interest there is Rex Ryan. If anything, we have a better chance at getting Ray if he leaves because he wouldn't be coming here on a discount. It's highly unlikely we'd have enough money to pay him even if Favre leaves, though.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMike View Post
Look the bottom line though is this.. if you don't find a way to keep him.. you lose out on the chance at signing Ray Lewis.. he already has said multiple times playing in NY with Farve is attractive along with Rex Ryan as the HC and his defensive schemes surely to be implemented and follow his philosophies
If we keep Favre, we won't have any money to sign Ray. We're 15 million over the projected cap.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I don't think that factors in at all. I think that's just a name he's attracted to. I think the unquestionable big interest there is Rex Ryan. If anything, we have a better chance at getting Ray if he leaves because he wouldn't be coming here on a discount. It's highly unlikely we'd have enough money to pay him even if Favre leaves, though.
Absolutely. I think the major pull here is Rex, otherwise he's probably not that interested in us. He's already said that he isn't going to take a discount to play anywhere, so really I view it the opposite way. The only way we have a chance at Lewis is if we can get Favre and his albatross of a contract off our books.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Rex + a chance to play in the greatest city is what pulls him here not Farve. Ofcourse a chance to play with Farve is nice but hes more intrested in playing for Rex till he retires, Hope we scan get him to play here
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We NEED Favre to retire. We need the cap space, plus I mean why would we keep him when he's obviously washed up. Like someone said ahead of me, if he was any other position he'd be gone. He needs to go now. We'll pick up the pieces, sign some FAs, and be better for it.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Rex + a chance to play in the greatest city is what pulls him here not Farve. Ofcourse a chance to play with Farve is nice but hes more intrested in playing for Rex till he retires, Hope we scan get him to play here

I think his motives are # 1. $$, # 2. $$ and # 3 Rex
Old 02-06-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
We NEED Favre to retire. We need the cap space, plus I mean why would we keep him when he's obviously washed up. Like someone said ahead of me, if he was any other position he'd be gone. He needs to go now. We'll pick up the pieces, sign some FAs, and be better for it.
Even after we cut Favre, we'll be 2 million over the cap. Cutting Barrett as I said before will get us about 2 million under. I wouldn't be holding my breath for any FA's, we're going to be lucky to sign all of our picks.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomecouldntbe View Post
Even after we cut Favre, we'll be 2 million over the cap. Cutting Barrett as I said before will get us about 2 million under. I wouldn't be holding my breath for any FA's, we're going to be lucky to sign all of our picks.
I think we spent too much money on Pace last year.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Hopefully we can restructure some bonuses over the life of some contracts to save some money on the cap this year. Unfortunate our cap number is so high though. Hopefully there are some guys that come off soon because we have some young guys on rookie contracts we'll be hurting if we can't keep on to.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I think we spent too much money on Pace last year.
Somewhat agree, but he played really well for us, and I don't think we could have gotten him for any cheaper. God knows we would have been screwed if we had to play Gholston anymore.

Here's a good website (obviously not official, but it's pretty close, but one of the best compilations I have really seen.)

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Hopefully we can restructure some guys as Derza said, it would be nice to bring in at least one solid guy other than a rookie. Although, it will be quite tough to get any of the big name guys.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is today the first day cuts start? or is it next week.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Is today the first day cuts start? or is it next week.
Not 100%, but I think it's today, considering a handful of teams have released some players.

I found this at thejetsblog.com and thought it was something that everyone would like to know....

Feb. 18-24: NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, IN

Feb. 19: Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.

Feb. 26: Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.

Feb. 26: Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired.

Feb. 27: Veteran free agency signing period begins.

Feb. 27: Trading period begins.

March 22-25: NFL Annual Meeting, Dana Point, CA

April 17: Signing period ends for restricted free agents.

April 24: Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

April 25-26: NFL Draft, New York City, NY

May 18-20: NFL Spring Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 1: Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season if player is not signed by another club by July 22.

June 1: Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights.

June 15: Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of previous year’s salary.

June 28-July 1: NFL Rookie Symposium, Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Mid-July: Training camps open.

July 22: Signing period ends at 4 p.m. ET for unrestricted free agents who received June 1 tender.

Aug. 9: Pro Football Hall of Fame Game, Canton, OH

Aug. 13-17: First preseason weekend.

Sept. 1: Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.

Sept. 5: Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

Sept. 10-14: Regular season kicks off.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently we're looking at OGs, so it looks like Moore is going to get cut. I'm pretty sure Barrett will get cut and Baker likely will as well. So after that... if Favre leaves, that'd leave us in a pretty solid position.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Apparently we're looking at OGs, so it looks like Moore is going to get cut. I'm pretty sure Barrett will get cut and Baker likely will as well. So after that... if Favre leaves, that'd leave us in a pretty solid position.
Yeah I actually was thinking the same thing the other day. Cutting more saves us like 5.5 million which is pretty solid, Baker's another 2 and Barrett's like 3.5. I'd imagine at the very least Barrett's gone, probably the other two also. Wouldn't be incredibly shocked to see Ellis or maybe even Bowens get the axe as they'd save us money, but I would be a little surprised. Hopefully Favre is gone. Who we cut could really have a big impact on what we draft...should be very interesting and open up a few more positions to look at.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

I dont wanna cut Ellis hes been here for a long time now and had a productive year last year. I think he still has atleast 2 years left in him
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I agree I'm just not so sure how he fits with Rex's scheme...probably well but maybe we want some youth at the position I dunno. He's one of the few guys that would save us money on the cap which is the only reason I bring it up.

Alright guys I'm looking to get a jersey but not sure who to go for. Out of the guys on the team now I've got a green Rhodes and a green Coles...all of my whites are from retired/traded guys so I'd probably like to go white. My leaning is Revis but...any other suggestions?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I would definitely lean towards Revis. There's no way, or atleast i pray to god, that the FO would let him get away, he's an absolute stud and is on his way to being one of the best cornerbacks in the game.

So you have a guy who should be on our team for a while *knock on wood* and he's a baller. I would lean towards Revis.

As for cutting Moore, I don't buy it. I read that article from Jane McCutchen was it??? And I really think it's a BS article. I know OGs are easy to replace, but we have 0 depth and he was a stud in the running game and performed well enough in passpro. I just don't wanna go through a Kendal situation again.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I would definitely lean towards Revis. There's no way, or atleast i pray to god, that the FO would let him get away, he's an absolute stud and is on his way to being one of the best cornerbacks in the game.

So you have a guy who should be on our team for a while *knock on wood* and he's a baller. I would lean towards Revis.

As for cutting Moore, I don't buy it. I read that article from Jane McCutchen was it??? And I really think it's a BS article. I know OGs are easy to replace, but we have 0 depth and he was a stud in the running game and performed well enough in passpro. I just don't wanna go through a Kendal situation again.
I think the difference is that he's due something like a 5 mil roster bonus, and it's possible that we could find a RG just as good if not better in the late second day of the draft.

And I'd go Revis as well, but I may be biased since I've liked him since his sophomore year at Pitt. But since there's a ton of those, maybe you'd want to roll the dice and get a Gholston or Ratliff or Clemens or Clowney jersey before it's cool to do so. Keller would be a pretty solid choice as well.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I think the difference is that he's due something like a 5 mil roster bonus, and it's possible that we could find a RG just as good if not better in the late second day of the draft.

And I'd go Revis as well, but I may be biased since I've liked him since his sophomore year at Pitt. But since there's a ton of those, maybe you'd want to roll the dice and get a Gholston or Ratliff or Clemens or Clowney jersey before it's cool to do so. Keller would be a pretty solid choice as well.
Right exactly, he saves us a ton off the cap. Theoretically if we slice him along with the guys TTGS stated we can get a decent guard somewhere day 2 in the draft, even in the third or fourth round. If Favre retires on top of that we could (maybe, doubt it actually happens) fill our two biggest needs (SS and ILB) with former Ravens in Leonhard and Scott and have a lot more versatility come draft day (look WR, G obviously, DE, etc).

I think I'll ultimately go with Revis. Probably won't roll the dice quite as much as the guys you mentioned, maybe Gholston taking a chance on whether or not Rex can actually get something out of him. Keller was actually my second leaning. The other option I thought of was Cotchery but I'm thinking Revis, Keller, or Gholston. Perhaps Harris as well but I think there's probably as many of those as Revis and I'm more of a Revis guy.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Well we just parted ways with barrett
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

Alright guys I'm looking to get a jersey but not sure who to go for. Out of the guys on the team now I've got a green Rhodes and a green Coles...all of my whites are from retired/traded guys so I'd probably like to go white. My leaning is Revis but...any other suggestions?
I am not sure how old you are and how far back you go, but i learned he hard way about buying Jerseys for guys that are gone before I could even wash the jersey. Wasted a lot of money in the process too. I decided to stick to the all timers who will never go out of style. Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet, Mo Lewis etc. At least we know these guys won't get cut the next day. Besides I get a lot of compliments in my Klecko, Toon and Freeman McNeil jerseys all of the time, as oppposed to my Keyshawn, O'Donnel, Johnny Mitchell, Bryan Cox, Jonathan Vilma, Chad, Santana Moss and John Abraham jerseys.