Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I am not sure how old you are and how far back you go, but i learned he hard way about buying Jerseys for guys that are gone before I could even wash the jersey. Wasted a lot of money in the process too. I decided to stick to the all timers who will never go out of style. Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet, Mo Lewis etc. At least we know these guys won't get cut the next day. Besides I get a lot of compliments in my Klecko, Toon and Freeman McNeil jerseys all of the time, as oppposed to my Keyshawn, O'Donnel, Johnny Mitchell, Bryan Cox, Jonathan Vilma, Chad, Santana Moss and John Abraham jerseys.
Very good point about the jerseys. I'm 23 but have spent my fair share of money on jerseys of players who got the boot. I don't wear it to the bar or games for fear of it getting beer or food all over it, but my Joe Namath Jersey always gets compliments. Broadwayjoe will never go out of style, but that was a birthday present from my Ma a while back; not necessarily on the cheap side.

I'm just waiting for the day when I finally get outta med school and get a job, the first thing i'm buying, besides a gift for my ma, is a vintage mickey mantle jersey. The old school creamish colored ones.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:58 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Well we just parted ways with barrett
Had to happen, he saves us a lot of cap space and just isn't as valuable as his figure. I think he'd have been cut even if we had cap space this offseason. A no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I am not sure how old you are and how far back you go, but i learned he hard way about buying Jerseys for guys that are gone before I could even wash the jersey. Wasted a lot of money in the process too. I decided to stick to the all timers who will never go out of style. Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet, Mo Lewis etc. At least we know these guys won't get cut the next day. Besides I get a lot of compliments in my Klecko, Toon and Freeman McNeil jerseys all of the time, as oppposed to my Keyshawn, O'Donnel, Johnny Mitchell, Bryan Cox, Jonathan Vilma, Chad, Santana Moss and John Abraham jerseys.
I'm in college and go back to the Neil O'Donnell days...probably farther but that's the earliest I remember. I've wasted a lot of jerseys (from your list we have O'Donnell, Pennington, Moss, Abraham) and I've got 2 retired Jets I'm happy with in Martin and Chrebet. I definitely know the risks involved but I'd just like to add a new one into the mix.

Also found it interesting that the Jets have a plan with or without Favre, wonder who they're going to get to try to restructure and who they'll cut if he sticks around, along with how much space they'll try to open up if he doesn't.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

[quote=

I'm just waiting for the day when I finally get outta med school and get a job, the first thing i'm buying, besides a gift for my ma, is a vintage mickey mantle jersey. The old school creamish colored ones.[/QUOTE]

My friend has the vintage Mantel away jersey, and when we went to the second to last Yankees home game last year, by our count 11 different people stopped him to compliment on it. It is definitely a cool jersey...
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're nearing the possibility of cap room!!!

Hopefully everything works out for Favre. Pleasantly surprised he didn't try to screw us over, and he absolutely took a chance on this team last season. Definitely changes the dynamic of this offseason a bit, and it's nice to have a decision there so early.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

I think I'll ultimately go with Revis. Probably won't roll the dice quite as much as the guys you mentioned, maybe Gholston taking a chance on whether or not Rex can actually get something out of him. Keller was actually my second leaning. The other option I thought of was Cotchery but I'm thinking Revis, Keller, or Gholston. Perhaps Harris as well but I think there's probably as many of those as Revis and I'm more of a Revis guy.
haha i got a rhodes jersey his rookie season. i felt like the man. it took like 2 years until i saw another rhodes jersey and i have season tickets haha. getting someone obscure and it working out is always fun.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And like Derza said we may actualy have enough cap room to sign a free agent or 2 haha. probably not someone big but definitely solid guys
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
haha i got a rhodes jersey his rookie season. i felt like the man. it took like 2 years until i saw another rhodes jersey and i have season tickets haha. getting someone obscure and it working out is always fun.
Yeah it's sweet I had a Rhodes jersey pretty early on as well. Not sure who I'd go for in that case though, Keller seems to be pretty popular and the under the radar guys are really, really under the radar. Might make sense to wait till after the draft to get a feel for who will have opportunities to play, etc. For instance if we draft a WR that gives Clowney a lot less opportunities to shine. Anyways...

Another thought I had about cutting Brandon Moore. If we do that, there's always the option to slide Damien Woody inside and draft a right tackle. So that really gives us a ton of flexibility there. With the success we've had running the ball on the right side (saw a stat somewhere that we were 3 in the league running b/w C and RG, 1 running behind RT, and 1 running off RT) it's not something I'd want to do by any stretch, but if we want to make some moves with the new coach...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Well FAVRE has retired. So all of the speculation is over, and we now have an extra $13 million to spend.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kind of hope that we just end up saving the money unless it's a small addition.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I kind of hope that we just end up saving the money unless it's a small addition.
Jim Leonhard/Bart Scott small? Jabari Greer small? Or smaller than one of those three?

I do agree with that, though I'd like to fill one or two of ILB, SS, CB this offseason (if we deem CB is a need). A QB like Kerry Collins who Cimini says we have interest in would be a little frustrating given the money it would take. I could definitely feel saving the money, but if we can make a few small, logical moves and get a little more flexible draft-wise that'd be great. Not like we have to sign Pro Bowlers to fill ILB and SS anyways.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I was watching all the Favre vids on ESPN, and it pleased me to hear that... uh... Josh something... say the Jets have needs at WR and in the secondary, so if he says it, I'm assuming it's common knowledge. For a while there they had me worrying with all the random needs Jets fans were bringing up elsewhere and some of the crazy mock drafts I see around. So hopefully that's where we're looking.

Of course, McShay also did bring up that he thinks we should address QB in the first, and if we take Freeman at any point (and I do see the similarities to Flacco, so that worries me) I will kill every person I see with a Freeman jersey. But with the pressures of the media and all that, I assume we're either going to trade for a QB or draft one early, so hopefully it's the former (unless it's Cassel).

And Jim Leonhard small. I really don't think it's going to happen just because everyone and their grandma has been calling for that, not to mention I think he's fairly overrated. If we got Scott though I guess I wouldn't mind. It seems a little crazy to me to pay big money for an ILB than many view as a product of Ray Ray that will be 29 next season, though.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Man if we take Freeman I cant even explain how mad I would be. Tell me what Freeman has that Ratliff and Ainge do not have. And Clemens has just as strong of an arm as Freeman as well. All three young QBs on our team have good ability and deserve a chance to fight for this spot.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Man if we take Freeman I cant even explain how mad I would be. Tell me what Freeman has that Ratliff and Ainge do not have. And Clemens has just as strong of an arm as Freeman as well. All three young QBs on our team have good ability and deserve a chance to fight for this spot.
I am a big Brett Ratliff proponent and want him to start next year if he can prove it in training camp. With that said, let's keep in mind that Kellen Clemens could very easily take the job . In his time starting, he did show flashes of talent with absolutley nothing to work with around him. If it wasn't for a drop he would've led a comeback against the Ravens (I think). Clemens showed a strong arm and a nice amount of gunslinger swagger.

I have never been impressed with Freeman. He has been inconsistent with his accuracy. He has a strong arm. He can move a bit, but my no means is a mobile running qb. I think unless we are in a position for Sanchez somehow, we should not take a qb at all.

Just in general, I'm not sure we should keep signing veteran free agents. I know last year we did it with great results, but if we keep doing it we are gonna be cap screwed and old. I think if some special circumstance comes along then we can, but I am against acquiring more 29,30 year old guys that other teams don't want to overpay for their decline years.

Last edited by josh07039 : 02-11-2009 at 10:24 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think as a means to plug holes at this point signing a veteran would be fine, but nothing for a long-term contract. Can't blame the team if they don't want a rookie starting at a position like ILB or SS for example. If they sign a guy to a short deal, say two years max maybe three, and draft a guy in the mid-rounds to groom behind them I'd have no issue with it, mostly because it allows us a lot more flexibility in the early rounds.

I unfortunately suspect we may go with a QB in round 1. Maybe we at least trade down to do it. Seems like Woody likes to make the big moves though, and that can come back to burn us. At this point I think it's pretty clear that'd be a mistake based on this team.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think as a means to plug holes at this point signing a veteran would be fine, but nothing for a long-term contract. Can't blame the team if they don't want a rookie starting at a position like ILB or SS for example. If they sign a guy to a short deal, say two years max maybe three, and draft a guy in the mid-rounds to groom behind them I'd have no issue with it, mostly because it allows us a lot more flexibility in the early rounds.

I unfortunately suspect we may go with a QB in round 1. Maybe we at least trade down to do it. Seems like Woody likes to make the big moves though, and that can come back to burn us. At this point I think it's pretty clear that'd be a mistake based on this team.
I suppose a short term contract would be fine. I just hate the idea of paying a guy for what he did with another team that he is no longer capable of doing.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Lets say the Lions passed on Stafford wich is possible considering there bad draft habits, how would you guys feel about a trade up to #3 to get him. And what do you think we would have to give up?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lets say the Lions passed on Stafford wich is possible considering there bad draft habits, how would you guys feel about a trade up to #3 to get him. And what do you think we would have to give up?
Two firsts and probably a third or possibly a second.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
We'd have to give up wayyyyyyy too much to get up to #3 to draft him. Just going by the value chart it would cost, sticking in the first three rounds, our first 3 picks this year and next year's first and second. That's a lot to give up for an unproven guy who could very well bust. I think we're much, much better off just sticking where we are and seeing what falls to us. Only way I'd be alrightish with going quarterback is if Sanchez falls to 17 and I'd rather not go that route ideally, give the guys on the roster a shot in a run-oriented offense.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well, combine's coming up soon. Who are you guys most interested in seeing?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Damn, there are a lot of players I'm looking forward to seeing, but the one guy who pops up into my is Percy Harvin. I was very sour on the guy, but as of lately I really want to see him run the route tree, catch from the jug machine and all that stuff.

I really do not like how he wasn't in a traditional receiver role in Florida and will need help learning to be a true receiver, but ya can't ignore his talent. I'm not advocating taking harvin, but I'm very interested to see him perform.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Outside of my Rutgers boys.
I want Vontae Davis to run really well so he's gone before we pick.
Cushing
Shonn Greene
Everette Brown
Connor Barwin
DHB
Harvin
P.J Hill
McCoy

I'm not interested in some of these guys for the Jets. Just interested.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mostly the wide receivers (because I want the Jets to draft a receiver) such as Kenny Britt, DHB, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, and so on. I'm also interested in seeing how fast defensive backs such as Rashad Johnson, Patrick Chung, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, Michael Hamlin and William Moore.

I don't want the Jets to draft a cornerback in the first, but they very well might, so hopefully they would at least draft a good one.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

You can add DJ Moore to the corner list for me. Chip Vaughn as a mid-round guy for safety is pretty intriguing. Curious to see how Brinkley runs. Maualuga won't be doing LB drills supposedly which kind of sucks. Not for us, but I'm curious to see how everything shakes out with the top tackles and centers and if the combine impacts anything there. Jared Cook's forty time at tight end should be interesting. Everette Brown is a guy I think could look pretty good, it's always fun to watch the ends who could move to LB also.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Bennie, Rashad Jennings, PJ Hill
Nicks, Maclin,
Rey Rey, Worell Williams, Jasper Brinkley
Kevin Barnes, Domonique Johnson
Rashad Johnson, William Moore, Delmas, Chung
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I'm most interested in Hakeem Nicks and Patrick Chung of course, but I'd also like to see:

Rashad Jennings
Nate Davis
Josh Freeman
Mark Sanchez
Bernard Scott
Kenny Britt
Quan Cosby
Jaison Williams
Tyson Jackson
Jarron Gilbert
Lee Robinson
James Laurinaitis