Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I'm most interested in Hakeem Nicks and Patrick Chung of course, but I'd also like to see:

Rashad Jennings
Nate Davis
Josh Freeman
Mark Sanchez
Bernard Scott
Kenny Britt
Quan Cosby
Jaison Williams
Tyson Jackson
Jarron Gilbert
Lee Robinson
James Laurinaitis
D.J. Moore
Louis Delmas
Chip Vaughn
I like the list. A few guys I'd like to add that aren't on this one or mine are Frantz Joseph, Ramses Barden, Andre Brown, Brian Robiskie, and Mike Oher. Did that D-III QB get an invite? Because he's an interesting player as well.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

So I knew about the Derek Anderson rumor but I just heard one about Matt Leinart. I doubt it is real but I would love to get Leinart I have always been high on him.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
So I knew about the Derek Anderson rumor but I just heard one about Matt Leinart. I doubt it is real but I would love to get Leinart I have always been high on him.
I'm not so sure about Leinart. His arm especially worries me, I wonder how focused he is on the game, and he just hasn't shown much in his career thus far. I really just hope we stick with the guys on the roster, if we don't at least go for somebody who has some more experience than the guys we already have. Otherwise we're just looking at somebody who had a better reputation coming into the draft.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'm not so sure about Leinart. His arm especially worries me, I wonder how focused he is on the game, and he just hasn't shown much in his career thus far. I really just hope we stick with the guys on the roster, if we don't at least go for somebody who has some more experience than the guys we already have. Otherwise we're just looking at somebody who had a better reputation coming into the draft.

He has supposedly "re-dedicated" himself to football, but that being said I don't see him being an ideal fit. Ryan mentioned wanting an "all weather offense" do we think Leinart has the arm strength to play in the meadowlands in January? His arm is stronger than Chad's but i think overall it is only average.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

How bout Kitna being brought in...looks like he is going to be released from the Lions. I know he is a bit of a talker but would come cheaper than Leftwich et al...
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
How bout Kitna being brought in...looks like he is going to be released from the Lions. I know he is a bit of a talker but would come cheaper than Leftwich et al...
I'd be alright with Kitna on the cheap...he's a pretty cool guy with young QB's and did a nice job helping out Palmer in Cincinnati. Not sure what he'd want to do since obviously we wouldn't guarantee him a starting job but if I'd imagine he'd be alright with a competition which we could certainly provide.

If we do sign a vet, does anybody see any way we draft somebody? Keeping 4 QB's on the roster is tough enough, but if we draft somebody that means cutting one or two of the young guys on the roster now, and I think it's early to give up on any of them to be honest.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:

If we do sign a vet, does anybody see any way we draft somebody? Keeping 4 QB's on the roster is tough enough, but if we draft somebody that means cutting one or two of the young guys on the roster now, and I think it's early to give up on any of them to be honest.
Keeping 4 QBs is tough, though they did for a bit last year until Ainge got hurt. I would think if they signed and drafted QBS, then one of the other two would go, hopefully in a trade. I think Clemens has some value unless he bombs in preseason and should at least get us a conditional pick.

Unless they have no confidence in Clemens I do not see them taking a QB high in the draft.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd like to think we're not going to draft a QB too early...hopefully they don't give in to pressure if one is on the board. They didn't with Leinart so that's a good sign I guess.

Saw two interesting things. One is that the team is going to make finding out whether or not Clowney is legit a priority this offseason. Wonder if that has any influence in how we address WR. The other was an interview with Bart Scott where he basically made it seem like he's coming here. A little early but it was relatively interesting to read, quite candid in his answers about what he'd bring to the table and almost making it sound like he was already on the team.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
I'd like to think we're not going to draft a QB too early...hopefully they don't give in to pressure if one is on the board. They didn't with Leinart so that's a good sign I guess.

Saw two interesting things. One is that the team is going to make finding out whether or not Clowney is legit a priority this offseason. Wonder if that has any influence in how we address WR. The other was an interview with Bart Scott where he basically made it seem like he's coming here. A little early but it was relatively interesting to read, quite candid in his answers about what he'd bring to the table and almost making it sound like he was already on the team.
I think it's not only a smart move, but the common sense move to see what Clowney has. There's no reason to not make everything an open competition, so to speak. See what everyone has, and if you can ball, you'll get a chance to play.

As for Bart Scott, it was a Jet's writer interviewing him, but it's very surprising to see him be so candid with his answers when he is still technically on the Ravens until FA starts.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Here's the interview of Bart Scott that Derza was talkin about, got it over at JN from one of the guys. Quite a good read.

http://nyj.scout.com/2/840362.html?r...40813162&ATT=5

By Craig Thomas
Posted Feb 18, 2009

Q)Could you be a Ray Lewis type leader for the Jets defense?

Scott: Iím a little different from Ray. I have been a vocal leader in college and things like that but Iím one of those guys that lead by example. Youíre not going to see me rallying the guys up all the time. Thatís his way. Thatís how he leads. Ed Reed is, I think, an unquestioned leader on our team as well and he leads in a different way.

Q)So what kind of leader are you?

Scott: Because of my experience in getting in the league (as an undrafted free agent), I like to push guys from the back. I like to let the young guys see me working hard and really want them to match my tempo by watching me work hard and showing up in mini-camps and seeing me in things like that where I may be the only starter in a mini-camp but I donít mind doing that because Iím used to working. So guys see me working, coming in, working and practicing.

Q)You really seem to a proponent of practice . . .

Scott: You wonít see me missing practice no matter what. Coach tries to give me a day off and I wonít take it because I feel [if] my guys have to work then I need to work too. I think thatís how guys continue to follow me and a lot of the young guys look up to me, a lot of the middle guys, because they know Iím going to play hurt, Iím going to play injured and like I say, ĎAlways get me up to my feet.í

Q)So what can you bring to the Jets?

Scott: I can go to the Jets and I can set a tempo. I have some unique things to my game thatís unique to just Bart Scott that everybody else canít do. You donít have to take me out. You can put me over the tight end, it doesnít matter. You can put me on tight end. You can take me out of the box. You can leave me in the box. Every linebacker canít say that. Some guys are just pass-defensive linebackers. Some guys are guys who specialize in stopping the run if you want to go back to the Trotters and things like that. You can put me in any situation, Iíll flourish. It doesnít matter to me.

Q)What is Rex going to bring to the Jets?

Scott: First of all, youíre going to see guys be held accountable. Now the whole teamís accountable. No guy can hide under a rock. We always said you had to have tough skin, you had to have skin like an armadillo because if you let the team down youíre going to have to pay for it. Youíre going to have to answer [for] it. A lot of times guys think that guys would have to answer to Ray Lewis. No, we had to answer to each other. And that was instilled, period. And it starts from Rex.

If weíre going to be great itís going to take all of us. Youíre going to watch the film together and if youíre the guy on the film that is letting guys down thatís the loneliest feeling in the world when they say, ĎThis big play happened because look at the effort here.í You canít coach effort.

Q)So some guys aren't going to make the cut?

Scott: Heíll weed those guys out that are not willing to play 100 percent all the time. So thatís what you can expect. You can expect some hard-nosed [football], knocking guys out, not backing down from anybody, ever.

Q)If you come to the Jets, how quickly can you become a leader?

Scott: I think theyíve got a lot of great guys already. Theyíve got some leaders already over there. Kris Jenkins and youíve got Kerry Rhodes so youíve already got pieces involved. Now youíve got to take the young guys under the wing, put him under there and stay on his butt every day.

Q)They do need a weak-side inside linebacker in that defense . . .

Scott: Exactly. I can go in there and I can guarantee all that running coming up the middle, thatíll stop.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Come to us Bart...COME TO US!!!!. With him next to Harris that would be a nice front 7. And if we get Leonhard then I wouldnt mind going DE in the 1st.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Come to us Bart...COME TO US!!!!. With him next to Harris that would be a nice front 7. And if we get Leonhard then I wouldnt mind going DE in the 1st.

I agree with Leonhard, I think he will come fairly cheap as well. Scott may cost a bit but he is probably worth it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The good thing about LBs is that they really aren't that expensive either. I think we can get Scott for 4-5 mil/year which really isn't THAT bad. I'd love to bring him in. Not as high on Leonhard as everyone else, though.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
The good thing about LBs is that they really aren't that expensive either. I think we can get Scott for 4-5 mil/year which really isn't THAT bad. I'd love to bring him in. Not as high on Leonhard as everyone else, though.
I kind of agree on both things. I think Scott brings a nice swagger to the defense, can set the tone for what Rex wants, and fills a big hole. As much as I'd love to draft a guy I don't see somebody who fits the scheme and isn't awful in coverage...I think we're going to have a hard time finding a fit going the draft route.

With Leonhard I think he'd be a nice get on the cheap, but I'd probably rather draft somebody. We may have to trade up a bit or slide back in the first and reach, but I think there are some really, really nice fits for us at safety in this draft.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and I hope the NY media doesn't follow Scott Wright's lead and try and push for the positions he listed as our actual needs. I pray they're on the WR/S bandwagon (though I sort of assume Rex will do what Rex does).
Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh and I hope the NY media doesn't follow Scott Wright's lead and try and push for the positions he listed as our actual needs. I pray they're on the WR/S bandwagon (though I sort of assume Rex will do what Rex does).
Yeah I was pretty thrown off by what he has listed there. Left a comment but no reply from him...his needs for us kind of went against the logic of what he had for other teams also (had RB at the top for the Bengals because of who they had on the roster, well who do we have at ILB or S?).
Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah I was pretty thrown off by what he has listed there. Left a comment but no reply from him...his needs for us kind of went against the logic of what he had for other teams also (had RB at the top for the Bengals because of who they had on the roster, well who do we have at ILB or S?).
I agree, I guess Scott wasn't really listening to use here on the Forums when he put that together. I don't think he was terribly wrong (i am a glass half empty guy) but I think we have other more pressing.

I would also like to say that I think we need OL help too. granted our starters are solid but we have no depth. Perhaps a RT on day one would be well spent. We could groom him for a year or so and have the flexiblity to move Woody inside if an injury occurs.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I agree, I guess Scott wasn't really listening to use here on the Forums when he put that together. I don't think he was terribly wrong (i am a glass half empty guy) but I think we have other more pressing.

I would also like to say that I think we need OL help too. granted our starters are solid but we have no depth. Perhaps a RT on day one would be well spent. We could groom him for a year or so and have the flexiblity to move Woody inside if an injury occurs.
Definitely, on both counts. Not that we don't have needs or question marks at the positions he listed, but we have other considerably more pressing needs in other spots. And at some point I think drafting a RT or a G or both to develop and eventually start would be a very good idea.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Definitely, on both counts. Not that we don't have needs or question marks at the positions he listed, but we have other considerably more pressing needs in other spots. And at some point I think drafting a RT or a G or both to develop and eventually start would be a very good idea.
Yea I wouldnt be against drafting a RT and then move Woody inside and get rid of Moore. It would also clear up some cap.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Yea I wouldnt be against drafting a RT and then move Woody inside and get rid of Moore. It would also clear up some cap.
I'd rather not get rid of more. Logically it sounds great but our right side was huge in our run game last year and the offensive line was solid. Given it's not broken I'd rather not mess around with it. Now if we have awesome value with a RT somewhere or somebody that could maybe play G I'd give it a whirl but I'd just stick to developing dudes for now.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

I really like Leonhard hes hard working football player and is always around the ball. Pluse as you guys said he will be cheap.

I like Moore so I dont want to get rid of him. But yea we should draft a guy in the 3rd maybe even 2nd if we do things right in FA. Then in a year or 2 we can put him in there.

As for scotts Jets needs I was dissapointed as well but hey as I said if we get Bart and Leonhard and just work on WR next year then those will be the biggest needs
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like we sliced Bowens and Kassell, neither shocking, saves us 3 million. Possibly cutting Ellis as well, I know I mentioned it awhile back and it still seems unlikely, but I really wouldn't be shocked. Depends what Ryan thinks he brings to the table in the scheme and what the FO thinks we could do with the extra 4 million or so instead.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I just want to say I'm glad for you folks because reading what the Jets fans have to say on other forums and the comments they post in the articles on the two big Jets sites makes me want to stab myself.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Out of curiosity, I wonder if we can come to a consenus here as to what our top 5 needs are, and in order?

I'll take a stab

1. ILB
2. CB
3. QB
4. S
5. WR

I left DE off for now, only because I think we could get by for now. OL depth still bugs mey because I am still gunshy from our OL fiasco of the 2007 season. If Scott and Leonhard come on board we can get # 2 and 4 off of the list and then move OL and DE into the mix. Lets not forget punter too..lol

Is it me or do we have more holes than a typical 9-7 team?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

according to rotoworld

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Jets have decided to release TE Chris Baker.
The Jets would like to re-sign Baker to a cheaper deal, but they weren't going to fork out $9M for his March 5 roster bonus. Baker will test the market before deciding whether to return to the Jets or not. Dustin Keller's emergence in the passing game has made Baker a fantasy afterthought. Source: NFL.com