Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd go...

1. QB - The guy could be on our roster, but that #1 spot on the depth chart is by far, IMO, the most pressing matter.
2. WR - Regardless of who our QB is he's going to need a WR. I know we're going to emphasize running the ball, but you need someone you can count on when the going gets tough, and that's definitely not Coles and I'm not sure anyone else could step up either.
3. RB - That being said, if we're going to run the ball a lot, we're going to need another RB. I know, two Pro Bowlers, but Leon's obviously not a franchise back and I'd find it hard to believe that T.J. will have a repeat performance. We'll need someone that can take a man's share of the carries.
4. S - I've always been a big proponent of the Safety position since it's what I like to play and to me, one of the most important positions on defense (even if it's not highly regarded). We already have one stud, but Rhodes should be allowed to be that centerfielder. With a guy that can stuff the run, we could be deadly against the rush.
5. ILB - I don't really feel as though the ILB is important in the 3-4, but the LB core is so it'd be best if we could shore it up. If we could find a great coverage linebacker, there wouldn't be a whole lot that could get through our front seven.

That being said, I think how we address the positions in the draft will be a little different. Barring Sanchez dropping to us, I'd believe that in some order our first two picks will go to two of WR, DE (only if we cut Ellis), LB, CB, and S.

EDIT: I should say, however, that Rex said we only have one or two holes on defense, so he sees less than most do there. ILB obviously has to be one, so the other is CB or S.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 02-20-2009 at 04:03 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and is this true?

http://blog.nj.com/jets/2009/02/jets..._eye_line.html

Are we really that far under the cap? That seems to be crazy, but I guess it'd make sense. I won't get my hopes up yet, though. Hopefully, however, if we do have that much, we don't find it necessary to spend every last dollar.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Oh and is this true?

http://blog.nj.com/jets/2009/02/jets..._eye_line.html

Are we really that far under the cap? That seems to be crazy, but I guess it'd make sense. I won't get my hopes up yet, though. Hopefully, however, if we do have that much, we don't find it necessary to spend every last dollar.
We got 8 million back when Favre retired so its probably true. If it is true I hope we go after a couple big names free agents.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
I just want to say I'm glad for you folks because reading what the Jets fans have to say on other forums and the comments they post in the articles on the two big Jets sites makes me want to stab myself.
Not sure were but on another site two Jets fans said we should trade up to get Knowshon and then trade for Tjack. Makes me sad to know I share an intrest with these people
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
according to rotoworld

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Jets have decided to release TE Chris Baker.
The Jets would like to re-sign Baker to a cheaper deal, but they weren't going to fork out $9M for his March 5 roster bonus. Baker will test the market before deciding whether to return to the Jets or not. Dustin Keller's emergence in the passing game has made Baker a fantasy afterthought. Source: NFL.com
Looks like Moore is good night moon as well. Interesting move, obviously both give us a lot more versatility in FA and the draft depending on who we sign and whatnot.

I'm also really glad you guys know a thing or two as well. Reading Hutch's article about our interest in Davis and Freeman, along with potentially Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing to fill our hole at ILB made me want to cry. The icing on the cake was when he broke down Freeman's junior year with the Jayhawks.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
We got 8 million back when Favre retired so its probably true. If it is true I hope we go after a couple big names free agents.
If true, it is amazing how we went from having cap problems last week to being that far under a week later.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Realizing how far we could be under the cap, we should actually take into consideration Jason Brown. True, he'll come with a big price tag, but he's an absolute stud. That would be a huge coup and at this rate of cuts, we could actually get both him and Scott.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

looks like Moore is a goner....

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...d_brandon.html

not sure I like it
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Word is we're discussing with Coles's agent in Indy. So... we might be trading him?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

is anyone else mad about the cutting of moore? sure, he was going to get a hefty paycheck this year, but he's insanely cheap after that. he's arguably our best run blocker (and we are supposedly going to be a run heavy offense this year which makes it even more puzzling) and is only 28. it'll be tough to replace him with someone as young, as good, and cheaper, so i don't understand why we would do this.

one thing's for sure, we are going to make another splash in free agency this year.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two things: Yes, I'm not happy about the release of Brandon Moore. I was in favor of possibly replacing him in 2007, but the Jets offensive line was worlds better in 2008 and I saw no reason to get rid of him. It makes offensive line another need for the New York Jets. The release of Baker and Bubba Franks' free agnecy makes TE a need, but with Keller on the roster, a mid to late round need.

The second thing is, the Jets are going to be 27 million under the cap??? Wtf? Weren't the Jets over the cap limit last week? I didn't have any hopes for a free agent splash this offseason, but now I'm hoping the Jets can pick up some of the free agent Ravens.

I guess the TE comment made it three things. Oh well.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okay123 View Post
is anyone else mad about the cutting of moore? sure, he was going to get a hefty paycheck this year, but he's insanely cheap after that. he's arguably our best run blocker (and we are supposedly going to be a run heavy offense this year which makes it even more puzzling) and is only 28. it'll be tough to replace him with someone as young, as good, and cheaper, so i don't understand why we would do this.

one thing's for sure, we are going to make another splash in free agency this year.
Sure am...I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. I thought his deal needed to be reworked, but I never thought they would cut him.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not happy with the release of Moore either. We'd better have a damn good idea of what we're going to do and be sure it's going to work, because while in theory it's nice to say we can do a lot of stuff with that seven million having a solid offensive line is key for this team. Why make the change when that's a strength for this team, and what are we going to go after that we need 27 million in cap space as opposed to "just" 20?

Agree with tight end, hopefully we go after a primary blocker who won't drop stuff if it gets thrown that way.

With all this space I'm curious what ends up being addressed in the draft and what gets addressed in FA. Only thing we need that I don't see being addressed in FA is WR, everything else could probably go either way though I'd imagine ILB is going to get taken care of in FA.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WHo ever you draft will be a bust.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger View Post
WHo ever you draft will be a bust.
I'm fairly certain that you should probably go crawl back from wherever you came from trollboy, before causing any problems.

However, even though I probably shouldn't dignify this, I will. Disregarding the Kyle Bradys of our past and the draft videos you've seen online, in the last 3 years our drafting has been good to very good.

Dbrick - shoulda been pro bowl over jason peters this year
Leon Washington - pro bowl
Darelle Revis - pro bowl
Kerry Rhodes - all pro second team
David Harris - outstanding player
Nick Mangold - pro bowl
Dustin Keller - emerging pass catching TE

...just to name a few. FYI, it's only been 1 year for Gholston, so calling him a bust and the basis for your argument is just foolish.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DHB would be a nice addition to the Jets.

Just stay away from Kenny Britt :)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
DHB would be a nice addition to the Jets.

Just stay away from Kenny Britt :)
I'll take either in a heartbeat. ;)

Looks like we're closing in on re-signing Tony Richardson, that'd be clutch.

Also, what do you guys see us addressing in FA vs. the draft? Basically everything but C, LT, OLB, and one safety spot is in play in some capacity if you take depth needs into account (NT for example). I'd imagine we sign a kicker, re-sign T-Rich, sign a ILB but could draft one for depth also, draft a WR, take a QB early or not at all or sign a vet cheap or not at all, and everything else is really up in the air. I'd lean draft on tight end but maybe not, probably draft an OL at the very least for depth but maybe sign one too, draft DL if we do anything at all there, draft a RB if at all, and I've got no clue what we're doing in the secondary or at corner. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

Also, what do you guys see us addressing in FA vs. the draft? Basically everything but C, LT, OLB, and one safety spot is in play in some capacity if you take depth needs into account (NT for example). I'd imagine we sign a kicker, re-sign T-Rich, sign a ILB but could draft one for depth also, draft a WR, take a QB early or not at all or sign a vet cheap or not at all, and everything else is really up in the air. I'd lean draft on tight end but maybe not, probably draft an OL at the very least for depth but maybe sign one too, draft DL if we do anything at all there, draft a RB if at all, and I've got no clue what we're doing in the secondary or at corner. What are your thoughts?
While Id love to nab Gibril Wilson back to the Giants, I don't think we'd pay him as much as our competitors, and I think he'd make an excellent safety for you guys.

Other than that, FA is pretty weak this year. Maybe you go after Michael Boley as an inside backer, or Channing Crowder?

I think the single largest need for the Jets outside of qb is WR though. I see the Jets going after the best available WR in the draft, which will likely be DHB at this point.

I think this is a sick WR class. I love Crabtree, DHB, Nicks, and Britt.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
While Id love to nab Gibril Wilson back to the Giants, I don't think we'd pay him as much as our competitors, and I think he'd make an excellent safety for you guys.

Other than that, FA is pretty weak this year. Maybe you go after Michael Boley as an inside backer, or Channing Crowder?

I think the single largest need for the Jets outside of qb is WR though. I see the Jets going after the best available WR in the draft, which will likely be DHB at this point.

I think this is a sick WR class. I love Crabtree, DHB, Nicks, and Britt.
I think the smartest course of action is to take a WR at 17. Odds are we have our choice of DHB, Nicks, and Britt there. No reason to address it in FA, and each of those guys brings a lot of different things to the table, so we should be able to find something we like.

Inside I think we just sign Bart Scott, hopefully we can get him relatively cheap for a few years. Either of the guys you mentioned would be fine with me, Boley is real intriguing because of his coverage ability.

Safety I'd rather not sign Jim Leonhard since we can trade up a bit in the second and get Chung or Delmas either of whom would be a great fit.

Honestly at this point I'm most curious to see who our 5th OL is going to be and where that means DW is going to play on the right side, because there has to be some plan there.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the following is what I'm hoping for:

Address ILB, S/CB, and DE in free agency. I think getting a starting inside linebacker (please Bart Scott) and either a safety or corner will really improve our defense. Then if we can add an end to play next to Jenkins, Rex Ryan will have a field day tormenting opposing offenses. We should also look at acquiring a RT or RG to fill the hole left by Moore. Signing 4 free agents at those positions is not out of the question by any means.

For the draft, we should look wide receiver at 17. DHB would be pure money. He brings something new to our receiver corps and can be a true number 1 for our young, raw quarterbacks.

Then in the second round I think we look in 3 different ways, all depending on what happened in FA. Even if we sign a S/CB we still need to get another, but OL and DE may be a bigger need. Best case scenario: we're happy with our OL and DL so we take a S/CB to finish off our defense.

In the mid to late rounds we look at the following positions for depth:
-RB (power back to compliment Jones and Leon)
-TE (like someone said before me, blocker who can catch when asked to)
-OL (to battle with the FA we sign)
-NT (backing up Jenkins to keep him healthy/fresh)
-LB (we cut Kassel and Bowens so we need depth)

This is my dream off season.

Last edited by TimD : 02-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't address the QB spot because:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/...an-next-j.html

Quote:
Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge have a combined five years experience, eight starts and five touchdown passes. But one of the three could emerge to lead the Jets next season.

Clemens is the only one of the three with regular-season experience, having relieved Chad Pennington as starter in 2007. Ryan said retaining offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer could help Clemens mature into a flourishing starter. "It's not like you're taking a rookie and trying to throw him in," he said. "You basically know what you have there."

Ainge, a fifth-round pick last year, will get a chance to win the job, Ryan insisted. But it's Ratliff who might show the most promise. He impressed the Jets with his four-game stint in preseason last year, when he threw four touchdown passes with just one interception and had a 122.6 passer rating.

"If he can do that in the regular season, we can win a lot of games," Ryan said.

Ryan said he does not expect the Jets to sign a veteran quarterback in free agency. "The first thing I would think is to do what?" Ryan said "To be the backup quarterback?"

Instead, Ryan will lean on Schottenheimer and new quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh to tutor one of the young signal callers into the Jets' starter.

"If I can bring in a guy with 16 years NFL experience and, let's just say two Super Bowls, I'd bring that guy in. And that's what I did in hiring Matt Cavanaugh," Ryan said. "We have a veteran quarterback presence right there in Matt Cavanaugh. I'm very comfortable with Matt being the mentor to our quarterbacks."
Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Well we just renegotiated Rhodes and Pace's deals to save us another 9 mil. At this rate we'll have a ton of room.

But they said that it might be a foregone conclusion we're signing Leonhard which, at least for me, is disconcerting. If we already basically have a deal in place, it most likely means we're overpaying, and considering how overrated he is, that'd be too bad.

It also seems like we might get into a bidding war with the Dolphins over Scott, which is also kind of bad, unless that's for a lot less than I'm assuming. I'd definitely like Scott though, just for that attitude he's going to bring. It's funny though. Just about every position I'd like to see us address there's at least two guys in the draft that I'd love to have.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 02-23-2009 at 04:24 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Haha. After seeing this vid I don't have a problem with getting Leonhard. There are at least three Safeties in this draft that would be infinitely better for us though. Hopefully he's on for depth, or we might even do something like we did last year with Pace and Gholston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetbN5zrg4Y
Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

I wouldn't be upset if the Jets picked up Chris McCallister, Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to shore up CB, safety and ILB in free agency; looked at WR and OL early in the draft and added depth later in the draft at TE, NT/DE and RB with someone like Rashad Jennings who can be the power runner to Leon's speed or Shonn Greene who I think might be the next pro bowl running back to come out of the fourth round.

Quote:
Well we just renegotiated Rhodes and Pace's deals to save us another 9 mil. At this rate we'll have a ton of room.

But they said that it might be a foregone conclusion we're signing Leonhard which, at least for me, is disconcerting. If we already basically have a deal in place, it most likely means we're overpaying, and considering how overrated he is, that'd be too bad.

It also seems like we might get into a bidding war with the Dolphins over Scott, which is also kind of bad, unless that's for a lot less than I'm assuming. I'd definitely like Scott though, just for that attitude he's going to bring. It's funny though. Just about every position I'd like to see us address there's at least two guys in the draft that I'd love to have.
Won't that push the Jets cap room up to 36 million??? Who are they looking to get for that much money??? The Jets don't need Ray Lewis and Bart Scott after all.

As for the bidding war with the Dolphins........ Rex Ryan is the Ravens former defensive coordinator.......... and Tony Sparano is not.

Last edited by Crickett : 02-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I wouldn't be upset if the Jets picked up Chris McCallister, Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to shore up CB, safety and ILB in free agency; looked at WR and OL early in the draft and added depth later in the draft at TE, NT/DE and RB with someone like Rashad Jennings who can be the power runner to Leon's speed or Shonn Greene who I think might be the next pro bowl running back to come out of the fourth round.

Won't that push the Jets cap room up to 36 million??? Who are they looking to get for that much money??? The Jets don't need Ray Lewis and Bart Scott after all.

As for the bidding war with the Dolphins........ Rex Ryan is the Ravens former defensive coordinator.......... and Tony Sparano is not.

First part, I think that's a decent solution to our issues. Leonhard apparently Ryan feels can start, so I guess at this point that has to be good enough. I'd love Scott, and you have to think he'll want to come to us or the Ravens unless it's all about the money. McAllister has the talent to push Lowery and could come cheap due to his major injury concerns, don't think he'll have to be a long-term commitment guy either.

I think the 27 million may have taken into account the renegotiations. Perhaps not, but those have been rumored for awhile. I've got to imagine we want to bring Scott on board, with price taken into account I'd absolutely take him over Lewis. Maybe a more long-term corner deal like a Jabari Greer, or somebody on the OL that we're looking at in FA? I really don't want any splashes bigger than Scott though to be honest, and hope we don't overpay guys.

TTGS, who is the third safety you're thinking of? I guess Delmas and Chung but...unsure after that. Johnson or Vaughn, maybe?

Other thing to taken into account with this cap room is we may want to get some long-term extensions done. In this case, it could be nice to be able to get them done and frontload them a bit while leaving some space for future years. Word is we'd like to get LW and Mangold done this offseason, both of which I'd be very happy with.