Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate Coles. Now I love everyone on our team. Hooray. And now we should most likely definitively get our wish in drafting a WR in the first round. Unless we plan on signing Housh or Holt... or trading for Boldin...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I want Boldin and I love Maclin in the draft. Hope we can get one of them
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope he doesn't come back. Hopefully he goes to Miami so him and Chad can sip pina coladas on South Beach.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I hate Coles. Now I love everyone on our team. Hooray. And now we should most likely definitively get our wish in drafting a WR in the first round. Unless we plan on signing Housh or Holt... or trading for Boldin...
Our wish? I would argue that. Additionally, i don't see how this really helps the situation since now we have to throw a rookie learning the NFL curve into the mix right away. He moves up the rotation, has better CBs on him, and still doesn't have a proven/experienced QB throwing him the ball. Recipe for success.

I hope there is a plan somewhere here. And no, please state it at your wish, not 'our' like all Jets fans are wishing for a WR in the first.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
I really hope he doesn't come back. Hopefully he goes to Miami so him and Chad can sip pina coladas on South Beach.
I always liked Coles and thought he was a tough player. The only problem was that he thought was better than he actually was, and was constantly crying about respect and money. I'm not sad hes gone, but that really makes WR a big need.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Our wish? I would argue that. Additionally, i don't see how this really helps the situation since now we have to throw a rookie learning the NFL curve into the mix right away. He moves up the rotation, has better CBs on him, and still doesn't have a proven/experienced QB throwing him the ball. Recipe for success.

I hope there is a plan somewhere here. And no, please state it at your wish, not 'our' like all Jets fans are wishing for a WR in the first.
I think a lot of Jets fans do want a wideout in the first. What position do you want to take?

Anyways, obviously the position needs to be addressed. I do agree with TGJV though, I wanted to see Coles around for another year to help the wideout we draft adjust. Now we'll probably need a more pro-ready guy, whereas before somebody like Heyward-Bey who would have needed to develop would have been a fine pick. And to be honest, we're going to have difficulty drafting a pro-ready WR at any point no matter who it is.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Eh. I think the best teacher is experience, and allowing the receiver the chance to be in the starting lineup will give him the best opportunity to develop a rapport with our hopefully franchise quarterback. And, the slot position is entirely different from the FL or SE positions, so I don't think putting him there could have done him much good unless we were going to keep him there. And while he is a veteran, I wouldn't want a guy that has some weight in the locker room trying to sway a rookie receiver with his beliefs if he wasn't 100% behind the team and the FO, which I'm not sure he would be. And I'm sorry, but I hate the fact that he doesn't fight for balls and doesn't fight for extra yards, and I don't particularly want that rubbing off.

I apologize for putting my wishes on you. I kind of used some confusing wording there though, where I was trying to say Jets fans would get their wish of getting a WR, which looks like now it'd happen in the first round, not Jets fans getting their wish of drafting a WR in the first round. Not sure if that makes a difference. If it doesn't though, well, I don't know what games you have been watching.

And somewhat of a side-note, but with this move, don't necessarily count out Cotch really turning it up. I know both Steve Smith and Torry Holt looked much more on the average side when they played second fiddle to Moose and Bruce. Now I'm not necessarily saying he'll blow up into a Pro Bowler, but being that #1 guy can change a thing or two in a guy.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
I want Boldin and I love Maclin in the draft. Hope we can get one of them
Quote:

I would say a lot of us on this Jets forum wanted a wide receiver out of the first round. Not everyone, but most of us. Color me puzzled about this. Wasn't Coles' contract largely garunteed after the last renegotiation? If so, how much cap relief does his release really provide? If its under two million, it wasn't worth doing IMO. He at the very least provided the Jets with a decent short term receiving option in 2009.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Pretty sure this clears it up.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/02/2...umber-reduced/
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just did some research, and I'm pretty sure we haven't released more yet, it was only reported that we were going to release him. This leads me to believe that Coles being cut could be related to keeping moore, seeing as they m were slated to make almost the same amount of money this year

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right. For those that don't feel like linking, the gist of this that I get is that he wanted a long term deal, we didn't want to commit. He understood, and asked to be released to try and find it elsewhere. We said fine, but you need to renegotiate your contract so we don't owe you everything. He agreed, and we'll save like 6 million on the cap this year. We're happy, he's happy, and he has no hard feelings towards us, staying open to the possibility of coming back. It's unlikely, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Just did some research, and I'm pretty sure we haven't released more yet, it was only reported that we were going to release him. This leads me to believe that Coles being cut could be related to keeping moore, seeing as they m were slated to make almost the same amount of money this year
Quite possible, wouldn't mind that at all. Thought the release was a little excessive anyways. I think no more LC and the cap going up should be enough room for us.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing I'm worried about is after the Moore/Baker release, the Jets cap number seems to remain the same when they cut or renegotiate people.

Secondly, here are just some random names I'm going to throw out there as short term receiving options that might (I can't say for certain) be obtained for cheap.

Kelly Washington - The Jets have shown some interest and remember back in the day when everyone thought the Jets were going to draft him or Taylor Jacobs prior to the Robertson trade up?
Drew Bennett
Michael Clayton
Ronald Curry
Mike Furrey
Jabar Gaffney
Joey Galloway
Devery Henderson (probably not that cheap)
Ike Hilliard
Darrell Jackson
Bryant Johnson
Dane Looker
Brandon Lloyd
Justin Mckidding
Shaun McDonald
David Patten
Reggie Williams
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh man. I love Reggie Williams, but only because he's from Washington. I wouldn't mind if we picked him up though. He'd at the very least give us that big physical presence, and maybe a change of scenery wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh man. I love Reggie Williams, but only because he's from Washington. I wouldn't mind if we picked him up though. He'd at the very least give us that big physical presence, and maybe a change of scenery wouldn't hurt.
Yeah he'd probably come cheap and who knows what he does with a new team...he clearly has talent. Henderson could be a nice fit but you're right he probably won't come cheap, could want slightly less than Berrian money and there's no way he's worth it. Wouldn't mind Galloway for a year or two to at least challenge our *potential* draft pick for a job and hopefully start ahead of him for a bit.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Glad to hear it. When I heard Moore was getting cut, my first thought was "this is the Jets Gibril Wilson move". If the Coles release prevented Moore from getting released, that leads me to believe the Jets know who they want and they know how much its going to cost to get them.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

As another wideout to add to the list, TJB mentioned Nate Washington. He's obviously a good athlete and a deep threat, but his hands are pretty suspect from what I've seen of him. He fits the mold of what we're looking for-to an extent-but I'd rather take my chances with Clowney to be honest. Cheaper option to provide something very similar. If we sign Washington to a big-ish contract and expect the world of him I'd be surprised if we didn't get McCareins-esque play from him.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Saw a rumor somewhere that we're looking at Ray Lewis for 3 years $25 million. Not sure I'd like it, to be honest. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Saw a rumor somewhere that we're looking at Ray Lewis for 3 years $25 million. Not sure I'd like it, to be honest. Thoughts?
If the Jets can't get Bart Scott, I wouldn't mind Ray Lewis at that contract considering the length of it and the amount of cap room the Jets currently have. I'd hope Leonard and McAlister would be significantly cheaper than that though.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
If the Jets can't get Bart Scott, I wouldn't mind Ray Lewis at that contract considering the length of it and the amount of cap room the Jets currently have. I'd hope Leonard and McAlister would be significantly cheaper than that though.
Perhaps...still a lot of cap to give up for an aging guy whose coverage skills aren't great. Given the value of the ILB position I think it's money better spent elsewhere. Seems like a splash signing and I don't really like that...the focus should be on building a good team long-term...anyways. Agree on hoping the other two come cheap.

Saw a suggestion that Chansi Stuckey could be the replacement for Coles in the starting lineup. Not sure I'd be happy with that either to be honest I've always viewed him as more of a slot guy and think he can excel and should remain in that role. Everyone else's thoughts?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Well Stucky straight up made plays when he got the ball last year. Now im not sure if hes more then just a slot guy but maybe he can step up more this year with more plays designed for him. The phins signed Gibril Wilson so hes out of the picture. But as I stated before I love Leonhard and hope hes in a Jets uni next season
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Finally cut Moore. Not sure what to think of it. I'm going to have to imagine we're making a play for some lineman out there, but it's funny because at just about every position we've cut someone it's been mentioned that there's confidence in a back-up.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Finally cut Moore. Not sure what to think of it. I'm going to have to imagine we're making a play for some lineman out there, but it's funny because at just about every position we've cut someone it's been mentioned that there's confidence in a back-up.
QB - Kellen Clemens
RB - Thomas Jones
FB - Tony Richardson
WR - Jerricho Cotchery
WR - Chansi Stuckey
WR - David Clowney
TE - Dustin Keller
LT - D'Brickashaw Ferugson
LG - Alan Faneca
C- Nick Mangold
RG - Damien Woody
RT - Wayne Hunter
DE - Shaun Ellis
NT - Kris Jenkins
DE - Kenyon Coleman
OLB - Bryan Thomas
ILB - David Harris
ILB - Cody Spencer
OLB - Calvin Pace
SS - Eric Smith
FS - Kerry Rhodes
CB - Darrelle Revis
CB - Dwight Lowry

I'm sure the Jets coaching staff has full confidence in this as the starting lineup. :p
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
QB - Kellen Clemens
RB - Thomas Jones
FB - Tony Richardson
WR - Jerricho Cotchery
WR - Chansi Stuckey
WR - David Clowney
TE - Dustin Keller
LT - D'Brickashaw Ferugson
LG - Alan Faneca
C- Nick Mangold
RG - Damien Woody
RT - Wayne Hunter
DE - Shaun Ellis
NT - Kris Jenkins
DE - Kenyon Coleman
OLB - Bryan Thomas
ILB - David Harris
ILB - Cody Spencer
OLB - Calvin Pace
SS - Eric Smith
FS - Kerry Rhodes
CB - Darrelle Revis
CB - Dwight Lowry

I'm sure the Jets coaching staff has full confidence in this as the starting lineup. :p
Ugh, there are some craters in there, calling them holes doesn't do the weakness of the position justice.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...ngs-about.html

Quote:
Just got off the phone with RG Brandon Moore, who shared mixed feelings about his release from the Jets. He's disappointed that the organization didn't feel he was worth his contract, but thankful to them for giving him a chance. Remember, he originally signed as an undrafted defensive lineman out of Illinois in 2003.
The Jets cut him because they didn't want to pay a $7 million roster bonus. I asked Moore if they offered to convert the signing bonus into a roster bonus, a routine restructuring that would've saved oodles of cap room, and he said: "They wanted to lower my money. They wanted me to take less money. For whatever reason, unbeknownst to me, they didn't feel my value was there. It's puzzling to me. I wasn't going to take anything less. I thought what I was getting wasn't unreasonable."
He declined to give the specifics of the Jets' offer, saying he wanted to take the high road.
This is a player who has been saddled with lousy contracts throughout his career, even when he became a starter in 2004. They sweetened his deal - a little - in 2007, but it still was a below-market contract.
"I never had the big signing day, never had the big contract," he said. "I felt I outplayed my contract. For whatever reason, they didn't think I was worthy of it. I know the truth. I know how much I'm worth. The reasons behind it, I don't want to get into. I enjoyed my time there. I'll be forever indebted to the Jets because they gave me a chance."
As I've stated several times, this was a bad move by the Jets. But don't cry for Moore; he's one of the top guards in the free-agent market, and he'll do just fine. Rest assured, he'll get more than $7 million in guarantees.
He still will count as $385,000 in dead money on the Jets' cap, but the team will realize a savings of $7.46 million. It has been speculated that Damien Woody, a former guard, will move to Moore's spot, but I think they'll leave Woody at right tackle. Tackles are harder to find than guards.
Am I the only one not on Moore's side? I don't know, it kind of reminds me of Coles and Baker where they highly over-value themselves, because I really don't think Moore's worth that much. In my mind, just about every move done so far has been as much about promoting team chemistry as it has been about cutting cap, so I'm all for it until I see something negative.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
jetsfan

I'm surprised that Chris Canty and Igor Olshansky aren't getting more talk. Both of them are young and good fits for a 3-4. Olshansky doesn't offer much in the way of versatility, but he should at least provide some competition. Canty is versatile and is a good up and comer in the league. I would rather sign either of these two than see the Jets go the tyson Jackson route in the first round.