Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
When Jones got cut I thought about us making a play for him. Definite off the field issues and NY may bot be the place for him but he does have a ton of talent and is the big receiver we've needed. I would imagine he is going to get a minimal deal with incentives...
Maybe it's an Ahmad Carroll-esque signing. I just figure with the off the field issues we'd stay away. We certainly do need help at the position...and his size could allow us to concentrate on adding some speed in the draft. Speaking of speed, doesn't exactly have ideal size but what does everybody think if the (relatively) fast and pretty polished Deon Butler in the third or fourth round if we avoid WR in the first?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
We certainly do need help at the position...and his size could allow us to concentrate on adding some speed in the draft.

Those are my exact thoughts.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah if we get Jones and Rex can manage to pound in his head that coke is bad, we could definitely get a guy like DHB to play the slot. Cotchery and Jones wouldnt be bad.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/255177/

Its an article about Matt Jones from a reporter who was familiar with him and his family during his time at Arkansas. The guy is certain that Jones is clean and sober and is trying to turn his life around. The recent problem was just bad luck. that's what the guy says.

Last edited by TimD : 03-19-2009 at 01:26 PM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Jones seems like a tool to me. I'd rather pass.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can kind of see both sides of the argument. In this case again, the risk/reward is pretty decent and we certainly need a body. Wouldn't be disappointed if we passed, though.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Matt Jones seems like a tool to me. I'd rather pass.
I pretty much agree with you. When a judge says that you are not allowed to drink, I dont care what that circumstances are, don't drink, especially when its close to a hearing. That's just stupid.

However, if he is just an idiot, but no longer a drug using idiot as that article suggests, perhaps he is worth a shot. After being released, he should be motivated to show teams he can play and stay out of trouble so that he can make some bigger money On a one year deal with minimal risk, I don't see why not. If he uses cocaine again or does other stupid crap, then he's gone and it is no big deal.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I pretty much agree with you. When a judge says that you are not allowed to drink, I dont care what that circumstances are, don't drink, especially when its close to a hearing. That's just stupid.

However, if he is just an idiot, but no longer a drug using idiot as that article suggests, perhaps he is worth a shot. After being released, he should be motivated to show teams he can play and stay out of trouble so that he can make some bigger money On a one year deal with minimal risk, I don't see why not. If he uses cocaine again or does other stupid crap, then he's gone and it is no big deal.
Well, talking about a guy who needs to try to avoid vices such as drinking and drugs, mmmmmmaaaaayyyyybbbbbbbeeeee New York isn't the best place for him.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Well, talking about a guy who needs to try to avoid vices such as drinking and drugs, mmmmmmaaaaayyyyybbbbbbbeeeee New York isn't the best place for him.
You cant drink and take drugs everywhere. True New York offers more temptation,but if(BIG if, I know) he has his head on straight he should be fine.

If the Jets sign him, there are a few things he can easily do to stay clean. Firstly, he should live in Jersey, preferably with a teammate that will keep him motivated. Secondly, he doesn't need to go into New York at all with the training facility and stadium in Jersey. Thirdly, don't be a moron.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Right, I don't think anybody's saying he's going to be a success here and there are clearly some potential issues. But at the same time, if you sign him, what's the risk?? That's why I can go either way on it. I agree he's a tool and that he may have some major issues, but what's the worst case scenario if you take a shot? You give him a contract for less than a million and slice him because he's a dumbass?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
You cant drink and take drugs everywhere. True New York offers more temptation,but if(BIG if, I know) he has his head on straight he should be fine.

If the Jets sign him, there are a few things he can easily do to stay clean. Firstly, he should live in Jersey, preferably with a teammate that will keep him motivated. Secondly, he doesn't need to go into New York at all with the training facility and stadium in Jersey. Thirdly, don't be a moron.
Agreed. Wherever he goes next is probably his last shot in the league, that's why Carroll did alright with us. Would again be a really similar signing IMO, only Jones actually can play some. Not a ton, but some.

There are drugs everywhere too. I was thinking maybe he'd be safer living in our town away from the city with the nice commute to FP, but for a relatively quiet suburb there are a lot of drugs there too. As long as he has his head on straight, the NY thing is a little overrated. And if not, he gets sliced for not much money. Again, I could really go either way on it, but it's not like signing Jones will cost much and if it doesn't pan out it won't exactly cripple the franchise.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Supposedly we're closing in on inking Samari. Could be a Corey Ivy kind of deal where they look for more money/a better opportunity elsewhere and sign somewhere else though, since it's supposedly going to take a couple days. Signing him and re-signing Elam, our secondary would be pretty deep.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Supposedly we're closing in on inking Samari. Could be a Corey Ivy kind of deal where they look for more money/a better opportunity elsewhere and sign somewhere else though, since it's supposedly going to take a couple days. Signing him and re-signing Elam, our secondary would be pretty deep.
we need our depth to be deep with the division we play in. when the pats r deep at reciver and the bills recently signing TO. i think its a good signing adding samari
Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
we need our depth to be deep with the division we play in. when the pats r deep at reciver and the bills recently signing TO. i think its a good signing adding samari
I really would like the signing also. Can't have enough good corners.

Have to hope that the offense starts to get SOME attention though. There are lots of question marks at the skill positions and the line could use some work. Plus we have one tight end, and he's not exactly a complete one.

I'd love having a great D, but the offense needs to get a look as well.

Given that signing would solidify our D outside of adding a linebacker or two and some youth on the line, hopefully that would be the case in the draft at least. Wouldn't mind adding a free agent or two, probably either at TE or WR.

EDIT:

Also, apparently we worked out Bomar? Hopefully that gives a little less legitimacy to the Freeman workout, because I think drafting Bomar is a big mistake. Accuracy is subpar, and he's just another mid-level unproven guy to add to our current cast of characters, and arguably not as good as any of them.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-20-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://nyj.scout.com/a.z?s=65&p=2&c=...%2f849340.html

Can anyone read this and potentially PM me it (don't think we're allowed to post premium info)?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think we should take a look at matt jones. although his off-the-field problems are cause for worry, his size is exactly what we need in a WR right now. and he wouldn't need to be a go to guy or anything like that either. i think we should sign him to a one year deal filled with incentives regarding his troubles outside of football (can you even do that?) so there is almost no risk involved. this signing would give us some more flexibility on draft day too, cause we wouldn't be as hard-pressed to draft a WR at 17. it still would definitely be a 1st day need, but wouldn't pigeonhole us into reaching for a player in the 1st.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
http://nyj.scout.com/a.z?s=65&p=2&c=...%2f849340.html

Can anyone read this and potentially PM me it (don't think we're allowed to post premium info)?
I can't but if anyone can and they can PM me it also that would be great.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

not sure how much relevance you guys put on the wornderlic but looks like most of the top WR didnt fare too well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7151782.story
Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
not sure how much relevance you guys put on the wornderlic but looks like most of the top WR didnt fare too well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7151782.story
I don't think it's too significant but at the same time I wonder if it will concern teams about DHB and Harvin since both will need some development as receivers. Not sure it will, but something to think about. Still kind of hope we move up to get Maclin.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
I don't think it's too significant but at the same time I wonder if it will concern teams about DHB and Harvin since both will need some development as receivers. Not sure it will, but something to think about. Still kind of hope we move up to get Maclin.
I never thought the scores were significant either, but if you remember Vince Young had one of the lower scores for QBs on record and look where he is now..
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I never thought the scores were significant either, but if you remember Vince Young had one of the lower scores for QBs on record and look where he is now..
Yeah, I do think it's more important for a position like QB than for WR, but still somewhat important for WR's. At least moreso than a position like RB. All of the QB's have high scores this year so that shouldn't be an issue but who knows. Could influence who we pick, but maybe that was just Mangini who wanted the smart dudes.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Considering I would be drafting our WR not for financial or legal advice, but for their athletic prowess, I think we'll be alright.

All kidding aside, if you've actually taken one of these, which I was able to take a 15 question one recently, the questions are really not the slightest bit challenging. Granted their are a few that could be time consuming, but if you were trained to skip these "harder ones" you could do just fine.

Dan Marino scored a 16, Favre got a 22 and I believe McNabb got a 14. The biggest thing would be playbook digestion, which I think our FO could tell in their chalk-talks with the players.

That having been said, the receivers did terribly. Nicks scored an 11, Percy Harvin a 12 and DHB a 14. I've never met either, but I would have to imagine they just were properly prepared or educated on how to take the exam, becuase it really isn't that hard.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I've looked at those questions before and they're really quite simple. Something in the 30's or 40's would probably be where you'd find a solid college grad I'd imagine, with time really being the main issue.

Anyone else think Ainge still has a shot in this competition as a major dark horse if we don't add another guy? I think he may actually be the best fit of all of our guys for the ball-control oriented offense, and he's definitely got some skills. Will be interesting to follow him as we run through camp and the like.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stumbled upon this picture. Little Leon is the man

Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Well boys I was checking out ESPN and stumbled upon this little blurb on ESPN Insider. Think you'll be very interested:

"With the NFL owners meetings in full swing in California, sources have confirmed to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News that the New York Jets are strongly in pursuit of Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. While no package has yet been developed because the Broncos still think they can smooth things over, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum told the Broncos to let him know when they'll start accepting offers, because the Jets are set to produce a strong proposition for the Pro Bowler.

Although some in the media have suggested that the Jets will focus on improving their defense for 2009, while retaining a run-first, conservative offense thanks to the hiring of former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan as head coach, it is no secret that the Ravens have quarterback Joe Flacco to thank for much of their success in 2008. So in spite of the many changes that will happen on the defensive side of the ball for the Jets, Ryan would certainly be interested in bringing in another young and productive quarterback to handle the offense's reins, as opposed to rolling the dice with Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff. Unless the team intends on trading up in the draft, they will be out of the running for Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez, and in spite of some declaring he is the second coming of Daunte Culpepper, Josh Freeman is expected to need up to two years to mentally prepare for a role as an NFL starter.

The problem for the Jets in acquiring Cutler is that they don't have a quarterback to send back to Denver in return. It's likely, then, that any trade that makes Cutler a member of Gang Green would have to involve a third team, with the Jets sending some draft picks and/or players to this third team, the third team sending a quarterback to the Broncos and the Broncos sending Cutler to the Jets. Here's a hint: such a third team rhymes with "Jeveland Towns", and the coach of this team used to work for the Jets."

Well boys, here we go again on this little roller coaster. I kinda feel that if we give up a First, Third, and a conditional pick next year, i'd be content doing it. It just seems like a really interesting fit. My only thing is I want a second rounder for a WR becuase we are in desperate need. But it seems as if Mr. Ryan isn't so hot on the QB's. Between this and Josh Freeman, something is a little fishy down in Jersey.....

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

As long as we don't give up our key players (Leon, Jenkins, Pace, Revis, Rhodes) I think I'd be okay with this. But to be honest I'm a big fan of giving Clemens and Ratliff a chance to start.