Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

i feeel ya I guess, I dont know part of me wants to grab this kid while we can. Cutler is on the verge of his prime and who knows whats possible when the sky is the limit.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really like it still. Cutler's the kind of guy that's going to force some bad throws, similar to Favre last year. Rex said he wants to run a ball-control offense and to be quite honest that fits really well with a strong defense that we're trying to build. Why give up the house to bring in a gunslinger to lead said ball control offense? Just seems reminiscent of last year, blowing up the offense because you're bringing in a new, talented QB that's going to want to throw the ball and is capable of stretching the field.

Also skeptical that the Browns are going to want to get involved and help us out.

Finally, LW is doing damn nicely for himself.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Cutler would do just fine here, but I think there are cheaper solutions. I just highly doubt with all the teams interested that a 1st and a 3rd is going to do it. Really, I don't even know if two 1sts would do it. I'd think we'd have to give up a player, and while there's no player on our team worth even close to Cutler (I guess an argument could be made for O-Linemen, but we wouldn't trade them anyway), I can assume Jets fans will riot if one of their favorites are shipped off.

But still, I can't help but feel like this is just T-Rex giving the fans what they want to hear, knowing they're trying to pursue him (though if you look at a lot of the media sources, people don't seem all too enthused about getting Cutler), all the while attempting to do something more under the radar. Rex seems to be a pretty straight shooter, and one thing he said about the QB position is that they have to be a part of the solution, not THE solution, and I don't know how bringing in a gun-slinging franchise quarterback would adhere to that.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That last part is really what I agree with. Maybe he fits in, maybe he doesn't, but I get the feeling that Rex doesn't want to build a team that bases its identity around a quarterback. If we make the huge deal for Cutler we do that all over again, and quite honestly I don't think that's what is in this team's best interest right now. We could have some success, but I think Rex deserves a shot to build this team his way right now. And if that's with somebody a little lower-profile, I'm more than okay with that. Still would be down for a Troy Smith trade for a day 2 pick, at least if we pull the trigger on it. Would mean presumably Rex likes him from what he's seen and thinks he can succeed with what he wants to do, and he's had a better shot to formulate an opinion of Smith than most.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
As long as we don't give up our key players (Leon, Jenkins, Pace, Revis, Rhodes) I think I'd be okay with this.
As much as I love Leon I am not sure I would let that stop me from getting a franchise QB. But the Broncos have so many Rbs I dont think they want Leon. Thast why a 3 team trade with Cleveland may make the most sense for us because they would likely only want picks to facilitate their rebuilding so we could at least keep our core together. To me a 1 and 3 this year and a 2 next year is more than reasonable for Cutler. I know this is a draft themed board so most guys here would rather sell their soul than deal draft picks but as a long time Jets fan who has seen his share of draft mistakes I am in favor of making the deal.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might sound sick but I think it will be a mistake to trade for Cutler. First off, I dont think he would be able to survive the NY media. Second, we are supposed to be a run heavy offense and Cutler would rather sling the ball around 40 times which will not happen here. Third, he wont have much weapons to work with. I still think we should go with Clemens this year and see what happens.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
This might sound sick but I think it will be a mistake to trade for Cutler. First off, I dont think he would be able to survive the NY media. Second, we are supposed to be a run heavy offense and Cutler would rather sling the ball around 40 times which will not happen here. Third, he wont have much weapons to work with. I still think we should go with Clemens this year and see what happens.
I kind of feel the same way on this one. Doesn't necessarily have to be Clemens, I'd be fine with a few guys, but I think each of your first 3 points is really valid and a major concern of mine.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i can see both sides to the argument for cutler, and i don't really know where i stand on this one.

positives: only 25 and has been extremely productive. has a very good chance to become our franchise QB that we've been lacking, since well, namath. he would add a whole new dimension to the offense with his strong arm and can run on the move. he would make our RBs, WRs, and TEs better (something the WRs desperately need). we haven't seen what he can do when his defense actually does it's job. MUCH more of a sure thing than anything we have at QB right now.

negatives: wouldn't have nearly the amount of weapons he had in denver. has attitude problem and could be shredded by the NY media. would cost at least 2 1st round picks in my mind, and that would hinder our progress in becoming younger and adding new superstars to the team (although cutler supposedly would become one). this would also hurt our chances of getting a top WR in this year's or next year's draft. has diabetes (although i'm not 100% sure this probably won't be an issue but just throwing it out there). also has some problems winning, as his team choked away a 3 game lead in their division this year and had a chance to go to the playoffs a few years ago but lost to san fran. he didn't win at vanderbilt either (again, the defense had a huge hand in this as well). we could have our guy on the roster right now or could draft him in this draft with the pick we would trade away.

i think that's about it. so at this point, looking at all this, what do you think? i still don't really know, but there is something about taking another team's QB that bothers me and i don't think he'll ever be "our guy" if that makes any sense. then again, you can't deny the talent and the fact that he WOULD be a great QB with us.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okay123 View Post

has diabetes (although i'm not 100% sure this probably won't be an issue but just throwing it out there)
it wont effect him. i play football and i have type 1 diabetes also, unless he dosnt have good control over it but i doubt that
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
it wont effect him. i play football and i have type 1 diabetes also, unless he dosnt have good control over it but i doubt that
I remember something awhile back about how he took control of it so that's not an issue.

So we signed Donald Strickland to a three year deal. Don't know much about Strickland and not sure why we signed him for that long...but maybe it plays out nicely.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I remember something awhile back about how he took control of it so that's not an issue.

So we signed Donald Strickland to a three year deal. Don't know much about Strickland and not sure why we signed him for that long...but maybe it plays out nicely.
Seems that way. I'm starting to not like the long term outlook for Dwight Lowry as a New York Jet. :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Seems that way. I'm starting to not like the long term outlook for Dwight Lowry as a New York Jet. :(
Unfortunately, I agree. He's got tremendous potential in the right scheme, too. It's a bummer. Hopefully he shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder and proves the team wrong, but that's probably unlikely.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So it appears at least Kerry Rhodes doesn't like Cutler:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...popular_i.html

Donald Brown is coming in for a visit:

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sport...ep-for-program

And we like Pettigrew?:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ted_in_ok.html

Same article says we've cooled on Nicks and Harvin. This guy hasn't exactly been solid in his draft predictions thus far, but this would be a perfect example of a surprise pick that could happen and would really not be well received by fans. While Pettigrew would certainly be able to carve out a role on this team, I don't think anybody wants to take a tight end in the first round two years in a row.

Both Pettigrew and Brown, along with Jarron Gilbert who we've shown interest in, seem to be late round one to early round two prospects right now. I'd say each would be a bit of a reach at 17, but it's unlikely any of them reaches our selection in the second round.

Perhaps this signals a desire to move back up into that range this year because we're uncomfortable with our selection? If we determine there's a value drop off after, say 40, I'd imagine we'll try and work back up into that range and try and get one of "our guys". There are certainly some scenarios where I could see us having a tough time choosing who to pick at 52 if nobody drops, so this may be a legit possibility and I wouldn't be too unhappy with it.

On the flip side, could also signal that we prefer the value around there to at 17 and we'll try and pick up an extra selection. Lots to think about and it's hard to get a read on what we're going to do, should be a really interesting draft.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

i wouldn't be a happy camper if we took pettigrew. it's such a luxury pick.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i wouldn't be a happy camper if we took pettigrew. it's such a luxury pick.
Id be pissed if we took Pettigrew.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Id be pissed if we took Pettigrew.
I wouldn't. #2 TE is never ever a first round need.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
I wouldn't. #2 TE is never ever a first round need.
Thats why I said Id be pissed if we took Pettigrew

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Taking Pettigrew would just give me that silent mad type of feeling where you just dont want to say anything. Harvin would make me pretty unhappy as well. Im still on the DHB bandwagon and ofcourse Maclin, Britt, and Nicks would please me as well.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

"New York, New York, becomes Tight end, Tight End!"
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Thats why I said Id be pissed if we took Pettigrew
Sorry, I misread. :o :o :o
Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think Pettigrew would signal seeing Keller split out wide quite often and a real emphasis on a power game. Also would show that we're really not high on many of the wideouts in this year's draft. Makes the most sense as a smokescreen to get some team that really wants him to move ahead to grab him so we have a better chance of somebody we like falling, but I really doubt that works. Starting to think a trade down into the late first/early second is really our best option if we don't move up for somebody we absolutely want.

EDIT: By the way, in NO way am I advocating Pettigrew. Just saying what I think it would mean, think the smokescreen thought is more likely. Or just kind of doing HW if he slips...won't fall to our second rounder but if he gets close he's probably a solid pickup given we have no true TE on the roster and Keller does have the versatility to move around a lot. Depends a lot on how Keller improves his blocking over the course of the offseason as well, of course, but he'll always primarily be a pass-catcher. Should be a need we can address in round 4 though, just pick our favorite blocker and make sure we get him.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-26-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Sorry, I misread. :o :o :o
I do that all the time.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think Pettigrew would signal seeing Keller split out wide quite often and a real emphasis on a power game. Also would show that we're really not high on many of the wideouts in this year's draft. Makes the most sense as a smokescreen to get some team that really wants him to move ahead to grab him so we have a better chance of somebody we like falling, but I really doubt that works. Starting to think a trade down into the late first/early second is really our best option if we don't move up for somebody we absolutely want.

EDIT: By the way, in NO way am I advocating Pettigrew. Just saying what I think it would mean, think the smokescreen thought is more likely. Or just kind of doing HW if he slips...won't fall to our second rounder but if he gets close he's probably a solid pickup given we have no true TE on the roster and Keller does have the versatility to move around a lot. Depends a lot on how Keller improves his blocking over the course of the offseason as well, of course, but he'll always primarily be a pass-catcher. Should be a need we can address in round 4 though, just pick our favorite blocker and make sure we get him.
bingo... also, i remember hunter getting some reps as a TE last year.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
bingo... also, i remember hunter getting some reps as a TE last year.
Yeah, I think we'll need somebody we can at least pretend will be an option to catch the ball though. But in big sets he can definitely line up there.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pettigew would only be drafted with the intent to give him extensive time in the slot or at WR. It would also signify that we rated him considerably higher than any WR that is available at our pick.

All in all, i highly doubt this is something the Jets will do, but it would have a plan behind it i'm sure.....i hope.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote