Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutler news published last Thursday. Most of it is the same old Cutler/Clemens/Ratliff debate, but there are 2 quotes from other guys on the team that I thought was interesting.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...len_cleme.html

Quote:
The rest of the Jets didn't sound enthused about the possibility of Cutler joining their ranks, and safety Kerry Rhodes said he simply doesn't like the cocksure Cutler.

"Me and Jay just don't get along too well right now," Rhodes said. "You can be confident, but when you're too confident for your own good ..."

It's unclear where the rift between the two started, but it intensified when Cutler began barking at several Jets players during a Broncos rout in the Meadowlands.

"It actually wasn't (something he said) to me," Rhodes said. "It was to some other players but I took the onus on that (to say something back)."

Veteran right tackle Damien Woody said that while Cutler is a great player, Clemens and Ratliff have paid their dues.

"I like my guys here," Woody said. "They deserve an opportunity to see what they can do. Everybody thinks Jay Cutler is a great talent. He went to the Pro Bowl last year and everything. That's all great. But I just feel like these guys deserve a shot."

Later in the article they discuss Cotchery and the #1 receiver spot and that negotiations have begun with Leon Washington.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Thats true. I guess Witmaack's English class was good for one thing, even if it wasn't to learn anything from him.
Sure as hell wasn't good for learning English. At least we managed to make it entertaining enough at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
So anyways in the free agency thread I talked about TE with a couple of others and now I want to see what you guys think.... What should we do about TE? I mean we have Keller so a pass catching TE is not a need, but we desperately need a guy who can block as well as be a short/safety net option for our QB.
I really wonder what we're going to do there. Almost makes you wonder if we're going to grab a guy early like a Pettigrew since we're just ignoring it in FA.

Personally I'd like to sign a guy...make sure they've had some success at this level and don't have to worry about another team taking them.

Don't really see any good options out there though, so outside of that I think our most realistic option is either setting our sights on one guy we think is guaranteed to be there in the 3rd or 4th or a couple guys in the 4th or maybe even the 6th and reach a little but get "our guy". Could get a little risky though.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone want to do the forum mock with me? I can only do it with a couple others because I have HS and track after that. Also Jbond said it would be easier to get the team you want if you have a couple of others with you.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
Anyone want to do the forum mock with me? I can only do it with a couple others because I have HS and track after that. Also Jbond said it would be easier to get the team you want if you have a couple of others with you.
I don't have IRC. :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't either but I'd definitely be down for pulling a group of Jets fans together and just brainstorming about stuff to do or whatnot and making collective calls.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I don't have IRC. :(
Whats that, why do you need IRC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I don't either but I'd definitely be down for pulling a group of Jets fans together and just brainstorming about stuff to do or whatnot and making collective calls.
Yeah, definitely it'd be fun.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
Whats that, why do you need IRC?

Yeah, definitely it'd be fun.
Trading is done on IRC, picks in the forum. As long as we have somebody that has it if we apply as a group it shouldn't be a huge issue though.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love to do trades, so maybe I shouldn't try for the Jets. I'll put down several teams.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to do it but I dont have IRC either.

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lokks like former Jets MLB Jonathan Vilma might be in trouble.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...=ap-homicides-

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I love to do trades, so maybe I shouldn't try for the Jets. I'll put down several teams.
I'd do the Bengals if at all possible. That's a team that you can really make a lot of deals with but turn around quick IMO. Plus we don't have a ton of fans on this forum so they'll probably be easy to get. I'd co-GM if you wanted one.

From what I've read seems like Vilma did nothing wrong, he's not even a suspect.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd do the Bengals if at all possible. That's a team that you can really make a lot of deals with but turn around quick IMO. Plus we don't have a ton of fans on this forum so they'll probably be easy to get. I'd co-GM if you wanted one.

From what I've read seems like Vilma did nothing wrong, he's not even a suspect.
I hope your right

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did you know Jay Cutler is 13-1 in games where the Broncos gave up 21 or fewer points, the only loss coming when Favre and the Pack beat them on the first play of OT? That's kind of crazy.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Did you know Jay Cutler is 13-1 in games where the Broncos gave up 21 or fewer points, the only loss coming when Favre and the Pack beat them on the first play of OT? That's kind of crazy.
That's a really interesting stat. Wonder if he would have the same success with the lack of talent here and how he'd fit in a ball control offense, but that's very interesting. That statistic will be what makes me cool with a Cutler deal if it happens.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
That's a really interesting stat. Wonder if he would have the same success with the lack of talent here and how he'd fit in a ball control offense, but that's very interesting. That statistic will be what makes me cool with a Cutler deal if it happens.
it looks like everyone is reporting us front runners in this Cutler trade and i heard Tanny called again with a deal in place
Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
it looks like everyone is reporting us front runners in this Cutler trade and i heard Tanny called again with a deal in place
Check the date.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

You think the Jets will work out Vick?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All i can say is that Favre was a waste of time. We would at least know how badly we need to go after Cutler if we had just stuck with the testing of the young players last year. Instead, we are possibly going to give an arm and a leg for Cutler, never test the young QBs on the roster, and got nothing out of Favre but a lost draft pick and a closing season of frustration. Basically, we are one season behind.

I don't want to live in the past, but i'm just saying.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
All i can say is that Favre was a waste of time. We would at least know how badly we need to go after Cutler if we had just stuck with the testing of the young players last year. Instead, we are possibly going to give an arm and a leg for Cutler, never test the young QBs on the roster, and got nothing out of Favre but a lost draft pick and a closing season of frustration. Basically, we are one season behind.

I don't want to live in the past, but i'm just saying.
Agreed. Favre set the franchise back a little bit. We got absolutely nothing out of him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I think it's basically impossible to argue with that. I didn't really like the trade from the beginning, and in retrospect it doesn't look great either.

Rotoworld says there are rumors Harris could be involved in a Cutler deal. Does anybody think that would make much sense? Assuming we would have to give up a decent player for him, who would you be alright with moving?

Again, I'm not exactly sold on Cutler at the moment, but I still think it's worth exploring because it seems like this is a realistic possibility for this team.

I also think we're too attitude/PR conscious to go after Vick, especially in NY where the thing will get so much more coverage, but honestly you never know. Still, I'd imagine we won't.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I actually think the Favre trade did wonders for us.

If we were going to give up a player, I'd like it to be someone on the offense. With the defense basically set, I'd hate to break it up. Of course, if it had to be a defensive player, I'd think it should be Rhodes.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Agreed. Favre set the franchise back a little bit. We got absolutely nothing out of him.
Not to bring up old discussions but I would not say we got nothing out of him. As an almost 30 year Jets fan, for the first time in my life I actually thought we were a genuine Super Bowl contender when we were 8-3. In retrospect the trade did not work out, but at the time it was the right move to make. Pennington was persona nongrata around here (which imo was unfair) to the point that the crowd cheered when he got hurt.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I was never a fan of the trade, but I'm not mad at the Jets taking a risk to get a QB, arguably the thing that separated us from a playoff team.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I actually think the Favre trade did wonders for us.

If we were going to give up a player, I'd like it to be someone on the offense. With the defense basically set, I'd hate to break it up. Of course, if it had to be a defensive player, I'd think it should be Rhodes.
For the first part, how so?

And for the second part, which offensive player? Not going to be an OL I'd assume because I wouldn't want to break that up. Wouldn't want it to be a WR or a TE since we have only solid one of each, unless you disagree there. So that pretty much brings us to the aging Jones and our only explosive offensive player, Leon Washington. Presuming they wouldn't want Jones, you're almost left with Washington by default, and that's again taking away our only proven explosive offensive player.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
For the first part, how so?

And for the second part, which offensive player? Not going to be an OL I'd assume because I wouldn't want to break that up. Wouldn't want it to be a WR or a TE since we have only solid one of each, unless you disagree there. So that pretty much brings us to the aging Jones and our only explosive offensive player, Leon Washington. Presuming they wouldn't want Jones, you're almost left with Washington by default, and that's again taking away our only proven explosive offensive player.
Yeah, I'd go with Washington.

As for the Favre thing, I think it sort of put us on the map. Made us relevant. It was part of an off-season committed to taking a stance in making the Jets worthy of national recognition. It brought life to the team. I think it reinvigorated the "boosters". Plus, I think everything happens for a reason and I don't know if we would have gotten Rex had that not taken place. And really, had we stuck with our QB situation as is, more than likely at some point Pennington would have been benched, so we would have seen Clemens for what he truly is (or truly is not) and then we wouldn't have this entertaining quarterback controversy that we have now, probably forcing us to trade the farm for Cutler or draft Freeman.