Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Yeah, I'd go with Washington.

As for the Favre thing, I think it sort of put us on the map. Made us relevant. It was part of an off-season committed to taking a stance in making the Jets worthy of national recognition. It brought life to the team. I think it reinvigorated the "boosters". Plus, I think everything happens for a reason and I don't know if we would have gotten Rex had that not taken place. And really, had we stuck with our QB situation as is, more than likely at some point Pennington would have been benched, so we would have seen Clemens for what he truly is (or truly is not) and then we wouldn't have this entertaining quarterback controversy that we have now, probably forcing us to trade the farm for Cutler or draft Freeman.
I think our offense with Cutler and without Washington would still have some major holes. No real playmaker, and with all of the picks we'd have to give up I'm not sure how we'd get one. We'll see, but I'd certainly have some concerns there.

I dunno how significant bringing attention to the team is, and to be honest I think our offseason kind of did that alone. Favre was kind of just the icing on the cake there. And the bold part is kind of why I think the whole Favre fiasco was bad for the team lol. It was fun for awhile, but in retrospect it kind of set us back a year and left us with more questions than there would have been otherwise.

So the Broncos supposedly want two first round picks as a starting point for a Cutler deal. Maybe Tanny finds a way to get creative without giving up the house for him, but I don't think he's the final piece on this team so I struggle to give up so much. We'll see how it plays out.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

So the Broncos supposedly want two first round picks as a starting point for a Cutler deal. Maybe Tanny finds a way to get creative without giving up the house for him, but I don't think he's the final piece on this team so I struggle to give up so much. We'll see how it plays out.

Its all for naught, the Bears reportedly pulled the trigger on a trade. Orton and three picks is what is being reported.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Its all for naught, the Bears reportedly pulled the trigger on a trade. Orton and three picks is what is being reported.
Yup, I'm pretty happy with how everything worked out. We didn't have to give up the house for Cutler, matching that deal would have really set us back in a lot of other areas if we could have done it at all, and Cutler isn't in our conference. Only downside is if this results in us moving up to get Freeman. Then I'll cry.

Also, people may finally stop mocking Sanchez to us at #17. Not that I wouldn't want it to happen, but it's getting pretty damn boring.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe the Broncos will draft Freeman now. We have to hope Sanchez goes in the top ten.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Maybe the Broncos will draft Freeman now. We have to hope Sanchez goes in the top ten.
Do you guys not want Sanchez?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
At this point they obviously have to be a strong candidate to draft a quarterback, maybe even move up. I think this pushes up some of the QB's in this draft, as did the Sanchez workout. So provided we don't decide we need one enough to move up, I think we'll be alright.

At this point, unless a really nice value falls to 17, I almost think I'd most like to move down into the late first/early second this year. Think the value for what we're looking at will be better there.

Quote:
Ambivalent on Sanchez, but don't want Freeman. That's really the key for me. And I don't think there's any chance we even almost have an opportunity to draft Sanchez if we sit at 17. He'll be gone top 5 IMO, 8 at the latest.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd love Sanchez, but the only way Freeman is out of our grasp is if Sanchez goes early.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It isn't that Favre did 'nothing for us', because it certainly brought national attention and lots of recognition to the Jets, including lots of additional revenues and such, but it did set us back on the field and didn't provide a post-season berth. It left us one year later, not knowing what we have at QB and with fewer draft picks. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the ride, it was great (except for all the bandwagoners and people asking if i just started liking the Jets because of Favre....dear lord), but as an on the field product, it set us back.

Sanchez and Stafford will be gone by our pick. I personally don't care if we move up for Freeman, as i don't know enough about him, but if WR is the target, depending on who's there, i would be fine moving down. Obviously need a taker, but i see a bunch of 2nd tier WRs that i would be fine with any, so may as well move down.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
It isn't that Favre did 'nothing for us', because it certainly brought national attention and lots of recognition to the Jets, including lots of additional revenues and such, but it did set us back on the field and didn't provide a post-season berth. It left us one year later, not knowing what we have at QB and with fewer draft picks. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the ride, it was great (except for all the bandwagoners and people asking if i just started liking the Jets because of Favre....dear lord), but as an on the field product, it set us back.

Sanchez and Stafford will be gone by our pick. I personally don't care if we move up for Freeman, as i don't know enough about him, but if WR is the target, depending on who's there, i would be fine moving down. Obviously need a taker, but i see a bunch of 2nd tier WRs that i would be fine with any, so may as well move down.
I definitely agree with that.

Article about the trade and what it means for the draft, perhaps us moving up:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi040209.htm

It makes some sense if we really do like him, but I do think our interest in Freeman is overstated. Or at least I hope so. I also think it's strange the article doesn't take into account that to trade up to 11 ahead of the Broncos we'd have to deal with a division rival, and I'm not sure how likely that is. At the moment I'm hoping the Jags pull a shocker and take Freeman at 8, especially if Sanchez goes top 5 one way or another. Nice for Freeman, nice for us.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I want a receiver who can get some seperation and make plays down the field.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
This is where I find myself. Worst-case I'd like a guy who can make some plays downfield (Barden?). Alternatively, I'm warming up to Chris Wells a little if he's there. Think he fits the kind of offense we're trying to run and would be a pretty nice value if available. Maclin's still a personal favorite.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is, thinking about the picks I don't want to happen, whether I'd prefer Pettigrew or Freeman.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maclin and DHB are the best bets there.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
haha, nobody wants those!!!

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
haha, nobody wants those!!!
Well the last time the Jets had one, his name was Santana Moss and mostly went over the middle because Paul Hackett is a turd.

Looking at the team, I don't see why Mark Sanchez or especially Josh Freeman would help. Strong run game (Thomas Jones), playmaker who can make plays after the pass (Leon Washington) and possession receivers who lack elite speed (Keller and Cotchery).

Tell me this Jets offense isn't still built for Chad Pennington. Go ahead and tell me.

Last edited by Crickett : 04-05-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I was reading somewhere Clowney was looking to get up to about 200 lbs. If he could get there and still retain his speed, the injury issues would probably disappear and then all we'd really be missing is a red zone threat (unless I guess you want to count Keller).
Old 04-05-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Well the last time the Jets had one, his name was Santana Moss and mostly went over the middle because Paul Hackett is a turd.

Looking at the team, I don't see why Mark Sanchez or especially Josh Freeman would help. Strong run game (Thomas Jones), playmaker who can make plays after the pass (Leon Washington) and possession receivers who lack elite speed (Keller and Cotchery).

Tell me this Jets offense isn't still built for Chad Pennington. Go ahead and tell me.
Well now that his security blanket is gone at least we're moving away from the Chad Pennington offense.

If we draft a QB it has to be a long-term move, I think the sports writers need to give up the "Ryan is looking for the next Flacco" BS. Odds are strongly against a quarterback having any kind of success in their rookie season, especially a bunch of junior quarterbacks like this year's class.

Beyond that, the "these quarterbacks lack experience" point that people try to make is ridiculous also. I was listening to some guy on ESPN talking about how the three guys on the Jets roster have a combined 8 starts, and use that as a reason to draft a QB. How much more experience is a rookie quarterback going to add?

If this team has taken a look at their quarterbacks and decided they want to develop a guy long-term because the current answer isn't on the roster and they find a guy in this draft they they think can be the long-term answer, fine. It kind of explains why we haven't looked at a veteran yet, as I assume signing a veteran would make sense after drafting a guy to start this year. Sign the guy to start for a year or two, cut Clemens, let Ratliff and Ainge battle it out to be a long-term backup, and start to develop a guy.

I still think that's giving up on our younger guys a little early, and isn't a realistic scenario. But drafting a guy would probably signal that Schottenheimer, Cavanaugh, maybe Ryan, has can tell from practice that nobody we have now is going to fit the offense we want to run, or be able to start in the NFL.

But the pieces just don't seem to come together, I don't think drafting a quarterback makes sense right now with the young guys on the roster that haven't been afforded an opportunity.

What makes the most sense to me is the staff understanding that we have some talented young guys and they should be given an opportunity to see what they've got. But in New York saying "Hey, we've been putting a lot into this team, but we've got three unproven quarterbacks that we want to give a shot. So we're not going to draft a guy, we're not going to sign a vet or trade for a guy, but we're going to take a shot in the dark and see what happens with these three." is not going to fly. So throw out some rumors that we're interested in Jay Cutler, interested in drafting a QB, trying to address the situation, and then just ignore them and go with the guys we've got. Otherwise we'll be going balls out for something and I'm sure we'll figure out it's a need. But what makes the most sense, based on the situation, to me, is all of the QB interest just being a massive smokescreen.

Quote:
I was reading somewhere Clowney was looking to get up to about 200 lbs. If he could get there and still retain his speed, the injury issues would probably disappear and then all we'd really be missing is a red zone threat (unless I guess you want to count Keller).
It would definitely be nice to get Clowney in there as a deep threat, but it depends if he's going to be a consistent deep threat or just a situational guy. We'll still need a starter and somebody that can separate when they're on the field, but who can be on the field regardless of situation and do lots of things. Development from him would be great, but I don't think we can rely on him just yet. Consistency will be key for a player with his talent level and age, but status on the roster right now. If he can show that, then I could see him being a big-time contributor.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-05-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets say in the 3rd round, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene and Rashad Jennings are available. Who do you want.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Lets say in the 3rd round, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene and Rashad Jennings are available. Who do you want.
Shonn Greene. Assuming the Jets have already drafted a WR not named Derrick Williams, I'd be happy with any of them.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
NYJets28
Rookie

NYJets28 could make a wolverine purr.NYJets28 could make a wolverine purr.NYJets28 could make a wolverine purr.NYJets28 could make a wolverine purr.NYJets28 could make a wolverine purr.NYJets28 could make a wolverine purr.

Shonn Greene is the type of back we need. I also like Brown but Greene is the big bruiser that we need.
NYJets28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

It would be close between Jennings and Green for me but I think I'd be a little more confident with Green.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I'd say Jennings. Big Ten RBs just don't seem to fair too well and the durability and production Jennings had would put him ahead of Brown for me.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd want Brown

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are bringing in our restricted FA WR, Miles Austin, on Thursday and Friday. I wouldnt be surprised if you signed him to an offer sheet but, I think we'd match that offer pretty quickly. An interesting development but, I don't think anything will come of it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
You guys are bringing in our restricted FA WR, Miles Austin, on Thursday and Friday. I wouldnt be surprised if you signed him to an offer sheet but, I think we'd match that offer pretty quickly. An interesting development but, I don't think anything will come of it.
What's hilarious about that, if it ends up as you say, is that in the Forum Mock I inquired with Ward about Austin and he said I couldn't inform him.

In any case, I'd love it. If no one knew, he's a Jersey guy. Plus, he's young and pretty much everything everyone's been asking for in a receiver for us. Granted, JJ said he let go of TO because of a guy like Austin, but it could happen...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
What's hilarious about that, if it ends up as you say, is that in the Forum Mock I inquired with Ward about Austin and he said I couldn't inform him.

In any case, I'd love it. If no one knew, he's a Jersey guy. Plus, he's young and pretty much everything everyone's been asking for in a receiver for us. Granted, JJ said he let go of TO because of a guy like Austin, but it could happen...
Monmouth guy, right? They have a TE that we brought in and is getting some late round consideration as well I believe. Austin would definitely be great, but I'm sure you guys would match.

And I'd be happy with any of them, but I'd probably want Brown, then Greene, then Jennings.