Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
per Michael Lombardi

The real deal.
Lets hope its true.

As for Leon, I think he should probably end up somewhere around 5 million/year as well. Six is a possibility, because then it would really depend on the guarantees.

The tough thing about a deal with him is that a lot of it is based on some sort of progression, with him getting the ball more. So he clearly thinks he's capable of outperforming those stats, and that's justifiable because he didn't get many touches in previous years. But at the same time, he hasn't proven he can hold up and consistently perform with more touches. So a lot of it will probably be incentive based.

It's going to be a sticky situation if the sides are that far apart that the first offer was insulting, and I don't think Tannenbaum is afraid to let him walk. We'll see what happens I guess, but I'd obviously like him to stick around.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Player A:

2007: 353 yards rushing, 5.0 avg., 3 TDs, 36 receptions, 213 yards receiving, 5.9 avg., 47 KRs, 1291 yards, 3 TDs
2008: 448 yards rushing, 5.9 avg., 6 TDs, 47 receptions, 355 yards receiving, 7.6 avg., 2 TDs, 48 KRs, 1231 yards, 1 TD

Player B

2007: 613 yards rushing, 6.0 avg., 1 TD, 28 receptions, 277 yards receiving, 9.9 avg., 52 KRs, 1317 yards
2008: 489 yards rushing, 5.1 avg., 4 TDs, 36 receptions, 338 yards receiving, 9.4 avg., 2 TDs, 51 KRs, 1311 yards

Player A wants to make 6 mil a year. Player B makes 400k and no one in their camp nor any fan is clamoring for them to get a new contract. Just sayin'.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You really had to make me look that up, didn't you? ;)

Point taken. Washington probably doesn't have as much value on another team with more playmakers, and it remains to be seen what he can do with more touches or if he's more or less at his limit. Things like us looking at Percy Harvin and drafting Shonn Greene for leverage make it look like we may not be deadset on sticking with LW.

I don't think he deserves absurd money, but he clearly does deserve a raise and it will be tough to figure out where he lands so he doesn't outperform that deal right after he gets it and start clamoring for a new one.

There certainly are scat backs that can be found who would compliment Mr. Greene very well and save us some money for more important players down the road (Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris). That said it would be unfortunate to see him leave because he has been such a great player for this team over the years and can impact the game in so many ways.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Player A:

2007: 353 yards rushing, 5.0 avg., 3 TDs, 36 receptions, 213 yards receiving, 5.9 avg., 47 KRs, 1291 yards, 3 TDs
2008: 448 yards rushing, 5.9 avg., 6 TDs, 47 receptions, 355 yards receiving, 7.6 avg., 2 TDs, 48 KRs, 1231 yards, 1 TD

Player B

2007: 613 yards rushing, 6.0 avg., 1 TD, 28 receptions, 277 yards receiving, 9.9 avg., 52 KRs, 1317 yards
2008: 489 yards rushing, 5.1 avg., 4 TDs, 36 receptions, 338 yards receiving, 9.4 avg., 2 TDs, 51 KRs, 1311 yards

Player A wants to make 6 mil a year. Player B makes 400k and no one in their camp nor any fan is clamoring for them to get a new contract. Just sayin'.
i'm confused (and drunk)... who is player b?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
i'm confused (and drunk)... who is player b?
Player B is Norwood.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The early word from the OTAs is that our defense is nasty. I have a feeling a lot of random people are going to have big years just because they're going to be able to use their athleticism more so than rummaging through a complex system.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The early word from the OTAs is that our defense is nasty. I have a feeling a lot of random people are going to have big years just because they're going to be able to use their athleticism more so than rummaging through a complex system.
VERNON GHOLSTON
Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
VERNON GHOLSTON
yeah ive read a couple of articles about how he's looking impressive. nice to hear
Old 05-16-2009, 03:39 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
yeah ive read a couple of articles about how he's looking impressive. nice to hear
could you possibly post those articles. Its not that i don't believe you, i just need something more to actually get me excited with regards to Gholston. He shook me pretty bad last year....

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

What a Jet is this year, may not be what one was last year, Scott said. A Jet is fearless, ferocious. Hes a guy thats going to fly to the football, not back down from anybody. Hes going to be very physical, but hes going to be a smart football player and work at his craft every day. Not for own personal accolades, but for the accolades of the group."

Oh yes

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
could you possibly post those articles. Its not that i don't believe you, i just need something more to actually get me excited with regards to Gholston. He shook me pretty bad last year....
Here's one. Honestly, I've been pretty negative about him as well, so it didn't get me too fired up about anything. But at least it's positive.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...w_jets_je.html
Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Here's one. Honestly, I've been pretty negative about him as well, so it didn't get me too fired up about anything. But at least it's positive.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...w_jets_je.html
I never like getting down on a rookie, especially one with the physical ability oh gholston. In fact, I have and will continue to be overly optimistic about him. I think in Rex Ryan's scheme he could have around 8 sacks this year, maybe more. There is nothing to back that up and it probably won't pan out, but I see no reason why he can not, at the very least, get to quarterbacks.

The thing I like in that article is Ryan's ability to handle the media. That was a big part of mangini's fall from the mangenius days.

Just my personal axe to grind, but I think that the Star Ledger's Jets beat writer, Dave Hutchinson, is terrible. He says stupid things all the time, his grammar is for ****, and his sentences are awkward all the time.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I never like getting down on a rookie, especially one with the physical ability oh gholston. In fact, I have and will continue to be overly optimistic about him. I think in Rex Ryan's scheme he could have around 8 sacks this year, maybe more. There is nothing to back that up and it probably won't pan out, but I see no reason why he can not, at the very least, get to quarterbacks.

The thing I like in that article is Ryan's ability to handle the media. That was a big part of mangini's fall from the mangenius days.

Just my personal axe to grind, but I think that the Star Ledger's Jets beat writer, Dave Hutchinson, is terrible. He says stupid things all the time, his grammar is for ****, and his sentences are awkward all the time.
You be optimistic, I'll be pessimistic. I just never like to get my hopes up. It's my nature.

Ryan is great handling the media. I try to watch his pressers when I can just because he's just fun to watch. We'll see how his attitude trickles down to the team. Should be interesting.

Hutch is AWFUL. I still remember an article where he said that the Jets would be interested in Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing, both to play inside linebacker. Same article he completely ignores that Vontae Davis was benched at points last year. And then he goes on to talk about Josh Freeman's final season with the Kansas State Jayhawks. I almost lost it.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

So so far we need one of us to become the new Jets beat writer and the rest have to get on making our own site. Excellent.

To be completely honest about Gholston though, having seen him in person last year at Ohio State, I was confused as to why he was such a high draft pick and didn't think that much of him, but as soon as he was a prospect for the Jets I was all over the chance of getting another Buckeye. But we'll see. I don't think he'll ever be a stud, but he can still be a very nice situational rusher. Never can have too many LBs in the 3-4.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think the fact that he'll have his hand in the dirt in some packages will really, really help him out this year. I don't expect much, but it would be nice to see Ryan turn him into the monster that we all know he's physically capable of being.

On another note, I read one of the writers who loves Stuckey. Says he catches everything in sight and is fantastic after the catch. A virtual lock to be the #2 wideout according to this guy. I think the hands are a major perk for regardless of who we're going to have at quarterback, but I'm not sure I see Stuckey getting vertical which we may need in this run-oriented offense to keep pressure off of the run game. I still think of him as just a slot, too, and I know many Jets fans do the same. But we'll see, thus far all of the #2 WR talk has been Smith or Clowney and Stuckey may have taken that personally and really gone after it. No doubt he can do something for us in the receiving game, just depends on where and how big an impact. Would be a pleasant surprise to see him really take hold of that spot early on and not let it go though, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the situation there.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really am pushing for Gholston to have a big year. He has Rex teaching him along with some of the players that know the system. When drafted I knew it would bea few years before he would contribute just because of the system change.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So so far we need one of us to become the new Jets beat writer and the rest have to get on making our own site. Excellent.

To be completely honest about Gholston though, having seen him in person last year at Ohio State, I was confused as to why he was such a high draft pick and didn't think that much of him, but as soon as he was a prospect for the Jets I was all over the chance of getting another Buckeye. But we'll see. I don't think he'll ever be a stud, but he can still be a very nice situational rusher. Never can have too many LBs in the 3-4.
Im working on the beat writer thing, but its going to be a tough climb. Its a far way from Rutgers Womens Golf beat writer to Star Ledger Jets beat writer. A friend of mine may be hooking me up with a job for the Rutgers scout site, if that happens, I may already have written more legitimate stories than Hutch.

Have faith in Gholston. He is so big and fast. Obviously I'm being slightly sarcastic, but with his athleticism and Ryan teaching him, he could be successful sooner rather than later(maybe 2 years, showing flashes next year).
Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Im working on the beat writer thing, but its going to be a tough climb. Its a far way from Rutgers Womens Golf beat writer to Star Ledger Jets beat writer. A friend of mine may be hooking me up with a job for the Rutgers scout site, if that happens, I may already have written more legitimate stories than Hutch.

Have faith in Gholston. He is so big and fast. Obviously I'm being slightly sarcastic, but with his athleticism and Ryan teaching him, he could be successful sooner rather than later(maybe 2 years, showing flashes next year).
Haha. And here I was kidding. That's awesome. Good luck with that. But in other news...

Quote:
Jets running back Leon Washington soon could end up with the new contract he covets.

A league source tells us that agent Alvin Keels has headed to New York for face-to-face negotiations. Typically, such events occur only when it looks like a sit-down will result in significant progress.

Washington is in the fourth-year of a slotted rookie deal that pays him the minimum base salary of $535,000 in 2009.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...shington-deal/

HURRAH
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

lol we're up for the superfan voting. its going to be TTGS, rightfully so, but for some reason i'm getting some love lol. probably cause i post a lot in the off topic thread. i voted for derza
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I would love for Josh to be the Jets beat writer. It would also be incredibly clutch for LW to get his new contract, lets hope it happens. And I can't decide on anyone to vote for in the superfan voting, because you're all just too awesome.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I really hope the washington news is true, but hopefully it is not a contract that is ridiculous. I really hope he is not making anything close to MJD or Jacobs, because those were a few contracts I had heard about as being potentially similar.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Something in the ballpark of 4-5 mill/year would be good for Washington. I'll be disappointed with anything over 6. It'll be nice to have him back, but that's a lot of coin for a guy who hasn't done all that much in an expanded role.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Something in the ballpark of 4-5 mill/year would be good for Washington. I'll be disappointed with anything over 6. It'll be nice to have him back, but that's a lot of coin for a guy who hasn't done all that much in an expanded role.
Anything above what Derrick Ward got and I'll be disappointed. He just hasn't done enough on offense to warrant it and its never wise to invest big money on a special teams ace.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I have to say we're not the best with contracts. I'd have to assume he's going to "overpay" by a bit. But we'll see.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

It's pretty clear that a new deal will mean overpaying based on his production. However there are a couple of reasons why even a contract that may seem like too much will still be good value.
1. Leon's production has been hampered by a poor coach that hasn't employed him properly. Therefore, it could be argued that his numbers are a poor indication of how much he has done for the team.
2. The offense clearly lacks weapons, so his importance is much larger than his past stats.
3. There is no clear replacement on the roster for him. Unlike Thomas Jones, he is not expendable. Without Leon, the offense is remarkably nonathletic and slow.
4. You can point to Darren Sproles, Jerious Norwood, Warrick Dunn(in his prime) and say that these guys can be found, but when you find a guy that is so explosive that the opposition must gameplan specifically for all the potential plays he can run, you should hold on to him.

I do not think Leon deserves as much money as he probably will get right now, however, he may end up earning it and more based on his talent and team need because of roster makeup