Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Great win to start the season. I actually didn't get to the see the game, but ddi get to see the highlights. From what I heard, the outcome was never really in question.

Good to see Sanchez had a good start, and that our defense was amazing. I was worried about the absence of some players, including Pace, but it seems we did pretty well.

Saw this in another thread and had to post it here...

Great start to the season!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Great win to start the season. I actually didn't get to the see the game, but ddi get to see the highlights. From what I heard, the outcome was never really in question.

Good to see Sanchez had a good start, and that our defense was amazing. I was worried about the absence of some players, including Pace, but it seems we did pretty well.

Saw this in another thread and had to post it here...

Great start to the season!
Kris Jenkins played like a monster yesterday. He dominated Chris Myers all day and did that^ a couple of times. Jenkins looks as good as ever.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Kris Jenkins played like a monster yesterday. He dominated Chris Myers all day and did that^ a couple of times. Jenkins looks as good as ever.
The defense looked completely different than it did during the preseason, and while I think some of it has to do with the coaching staff trying out a few things in the preseason that they didn't trust to work during the regular season having big 77 in the middle makes a HUGE difference.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kris Jenkins. Have the Jets ever made better use of a third and a fifth round draft pick?

My only regret regarding that move was that they didn't make two of them and get Rogers or Stroud too.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Kris Jenkins. Have the Jets ever made better use of a third and a fifth round draft pick?

My only regret regarding that move was that they didn't make two of them and get Rogers or Stroud too.
I think (hope?) those in power with the organization go after a big DL in the draft this year. In this scheme if you have a big enough guy who is a good athlete they could not only spell Jenkins but also move around and fit both of them on the defensive line at once. Since it should be a need anyway I think it could get addressed early. How great would it be to watch our defensive front then?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can we just make a decree in general that all must call the Jets "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch"?
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
HOUSTON — The seeds for the Jets’ season-opening trouncing of the Houston Texans were planted Saturday night at the team hotel. There, on the eve of his first game as a head coach, Rex Ryan delivered a speech his players described as fiery and passionate.

When Ryan finished, fullback Tony Richardson said, every person in the room, including General Manager Mike Tannenbaum, wanted to grab shoulder pads and head straight for Reliant Stadium. Ryan had given the Jets more than a blueprint with his speech. He had delivered genuine, powerful inspiration.

It showed Sunday against the favored Houston Texans, the hometown team the Jets defeated, 24-7, behind a destructive defense and in front of 70,118 fans. Ryan and the rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez secured their first N.F.L. victory together. Ryan did not coach like a rookie; Sanchez did not play like one.

“We needed to call the N.F.L.P.A. and put him on the banned substances list,” nose tackle Kris Jenkins said, referring to the players union. “Because whatever he said was performance enhancing.”

Cornerback Darrelle Revis watched the way Ryan’s eyes watered with emotion as he spoke, noting how much this meant to him. Linebacker Bart Scott, who followed Ryan north from Baltimore in the off-season, watched the way the body language of his teammates changed when they were infused with Ryan’s passion.

Jenkins said the Jets had taken note of the experts’ predictions for their season. With a rookie coach, a new defensive system and an untested quarterback, few thought the Jets would be contenders. Fewer still picked them to win in Houston. Jenkins called that chatter a slap in the face.

In his speech, Ryan reminded his players that he believed in them, reminded them to play the physical brand of football he installed and told them they would put the Texans “to sleep” by the end of the fourth quarter.

“You can tell the passion is genuine, and it’s authentic,” Scott said. “Not some premade, win-one-for-the-Gipper garbage. Just straight to the point. It’s coming from his heart.”

It was yet another example of how Ryan has changed the Jets, a team that missed the playoffs because of losses in four of the final five games last season, through words both confident and boastful.

This started with his first news conference as the coach in January, when Ryan intimated the Jets would meet the president after winning the Super Bowl in the next few years. It continued through the off-season, as Ryan tweaked his coaching counterparts, playfully challenged a division linebacker to a fight and ranked what seemed like every position on his team among the best in the N.F.L.

All the boasting made the Jets want to prove their coach correct. It seemed to seep into their thought process, driving everything they did. Over eight months, Ryan appeared to change their attitude with his attitude, one that left Scott saying that Ryan would be his first choice as a partner for an alley brawl.

“He talks trash,” Jenkins said. “And he gives us the opportunity to back it up.”

In his speech, Ryan told the Jets they had found their quarterback in Sanchez. Sure, he was the first rookie to start for the franchise since 1977, and the first to start on opening day since 1960. But when Richardson watched Sanchez chew out a teammate last week for lining up incorrectly, he knew Sanchez was ready.

Sanchez displayed poise rarely seen from rookie quarterbacks, completing 18 of 31 passes for 272 yards and a touchdown with one interception against the Texans. He connected with receiver Chansi Stuckey for a 30-yard score that produced a 10-0 lead, but more important, he repeatedly scrambled away from pressure, converting 10 of 18 third downs to extend drives.

Jenkins described Sanchez as locked in. Ryan reminded reporters afterward that Sanchez had played the way he had expected, even back when the Jets traded up to select him fifth over all in April’s draft.

“His performance is going to turn some heads across the league,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “That’s something the organization saw in him well before we as a team saw it. Now, everybody has.”

In his speech, Ryan told his defense it would dominate in the physical, tough, yield-absolutely-nothing style he preaches.

That defense recorded two turnovers and two sacks and shut out the Texans, whose only score came when Sanchez’s one interception was fumbled and picked up by Dominique Barber, who rumbled 48 yards into the end zone to cut the lead to 17-7 in the fourth quarter.

The Jets’ defense bottled up running back Steve Slaton, who averaged 1.9 yards on nine carries. It harassed quarterback Matt Schaub into a quarterback rating of 55.9. Even the All-Pro receiver Andre Johnson was held to four catches for 35 yards by Revis, who responded in typical Ryan fashion afterward. “I know how good I am,” Revis said.

In Saturday’s speech, Ryan promised the Jets would run the ball. After a slow start, Thomas Jones had two long gains en route to 107 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns, the barrage coming in the second half. In his speech, Ryan said the Jets would make up for the absence of the suspended defensive starters Shaun Ellis and Calvin Pace. With Vernon Gholston (three tackles) and Mike DeVito (fumble recovery), among others, they did that, too.

Afterward, Ryan presented the game ball to the team owner, Woody Johnson. Outside the locker room, Joe Namath sang the praises of Sanchez and the defense. Inside, Jenkins told reporters the Jets believed this season would be remembered as a special one. “Not bad for a couple of rookies,” Ryan said. “We’ve been saying it all along. It’s just that nobody wanted to listen.”

Except the Jets. On Saturday night, they heard Ryan, and on Sunday, they responded.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The New York Jets' defenders are talking big for their Week 2 matchup against the New England Patriots. Earlier this week, defensive tackle Kris Jenkins called this game the Jets' "Super Bowl" and on Wednesday, free safety Kerry Rhodes said he wanted to "embarrass" the Patriots.

The Patriots (1-0) have owned the Jets (1-0) since Bill Belichick became their coach in 2000, going 13-6, including one playoff game, against New York. Tom Brady and Co. have won the past eight games played against the Jets at the Meadowlands.

Rhodes wants to change that -- and make a statement doing it.

"You go out from the first quarter on, from the first play on, and try to embarrass them," Rhodes said, according to the New York Daily News. "Not just go out there and try to win, try to embarrass them. Try to make them feel bad when they leave here. We don't want to just beat them. We want to send a message to them, 'We're not backing down from you and we expect to win this game, and it's not going to be luck, it's not going to be a mistake.' "

Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Baltimore defensive coordinator, brought the attacking Ravens defense and its propensity for trash-talking to New York. The Jets surprised the Houston Texans in Week 1, romping to a 24-7 victory. The Jets' defense didn't allow a point, as Houston's lone score came on a defensive touchdown.

Brady, returning from a knee injury that cost him almost the entire 2008 season, was hit only six times by the Buffalo Bills in Week 1's comeback victory. Rhodes said Brady will be hit far more often by the Jets' defense, which hit Texans quarterback Matt Schaub eight times in Week 1.

"We will hit him more than six times. I promise you that," Rhodes said, according to the Daily News.

Rhodes insisted the Jets "won't play dirty" but that Brady will be vulnerable.

"I'm sure if somebody is around his leg, or he feels pressure below, he's not going to step into his throw," Rhodes said, according to the Daily News.

"Any quarterback can be rattled," Rhodes said, according to the newspaper. "He's one of the best, don't get me wrong. That's evident. Any quarterback, Peyton Manning, even if you get in his face, if you rattle the quarterback, you get pressure on the quarterback, any quarterback it is, he's not going to be the same. Nobody. That's not to say he's not going to come back and make a play after."

Brady, in remarks to reporters on Wednesday, said he wasn't rattled by the Jets' tough talk and that in the end, "talk is cheap."

"I think we follow the lead of our head coach," Brady said. "I think because we feel a certain way, we don't necessarily need to tell everybody about it. I mean, we're confident. We have as much confidence as most teams in the league.

"No matter what you say on a Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, it doesn't matter much. I think our execution is what's most important and that's what we choose to focus on."
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I hate playing the Patriots....so much.....

I think I almost died watching the last game the these two teams played together.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm driving 30 minutes across the city to see this game. Apparently my cable station feels the Bengal vs GB game is more entertaining and worth another 2 channels, but nothing for the Jets vs Patriots. Bunch of you know what...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

How does everybody feel about tomorrow's game? I'm pretty excited about it, but I don't exactly have the best feeling. Hopefully that's wrong, I'd love to see the team play a hell of a game and really make a statement, particularly the D and Sanchez playing against a really good offense and a Pats D that usually gives rookie QB's fits.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
How does everybody feel about tomorrow's game? I'm pretty excited about it, but I don't exactly have the best feeling. Hopefully that's wrong, I'd love to see the team play a hell of a game and really make a statement, particularly the D and Sanchez playing against a really good offense and a Pats D that usually gives rookie QB's fits.
The Pats defense is very questionable. With Mayo out, there linebacking group is very pedestrian. If we can contain Wilfork and not let Merriweather get any big hits we may have a good day on offense. Stopping Tom Brady is a whole nother story. We have a shot to win but it's going to be tough.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-20-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It seems like there's no way we can win but for some reason I think it's ours.

I'm very excited regardless. Hopefully I can find somewhere online to check the game out.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

heeeeeeell yeah baby JETS!
Old 09-20-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** yes, what a game

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Huge win over the Pats. Our defense stepped up big time and won us the game. Sanchez did jut enough but the defense gets credit for the win. We were able to put some pressure on Brady but I would have liked to hit him a little bit more. Revis again comes up big with shutting down Randy Moss. At least we backed up our talk.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Big game this weekend, should be a really tough matchup against a team that came in with high expectations and started 0-2 and is desperate for a win. Will be interesting to see if they can match the intensity of the Titans, I've got faith that coach will have the men on the team ready to go.

Think these next three weeks will say a lot about this team. If we go 3-2 that's a solid start to the year, 4-1 is fantastic, and a 5-0 start would be absolutely unbelievable. Especially given some people predicted the team would start the year 0-5.

EDIT: Pretty cool quote from coach Ryan that I think is really accurate. Hope he's right in the second half:

“If we give anything but our best, whether it’s preparation or the intensity and passion that we play with …then this football team will beat us, there’s no question about that. But that’s not going to happen, we’ll give it everything we’ve got."

From a report by Scott Hanson on nfl.com

Last edited by derza222 : 09-24-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

Who thinks Revis is a top 3 corner in the NFL? He's shut down Andre Johnson and Rany Moss in back-to-back weeks.
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofi View Post
Who thinks Revis is a top 3 corner in the NFL? He's shut down Andre Johnson and Rany Moss in back-to-back weeks.
I think he's absolutely up there and if he's not top 3 he's easily very close. I'd say he's top 3 though, top 2 even though I'm obviously biased being a Jets fan. He's done a great job against some of the better WR's in the game, hopefully he can sustain his play. Him being able to really man up on the other team's #1 has been so huge for this defense. The great thing about Revis is he's also a great tackler, really a pretty complete corner. He's a cornerstone of the defense, hopefully Mr. T is working something out to keep him in green for a long, long time.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
The great thing about Revis is he's also a great tackler, really a pretty complete corner. He's a cornerstone of the defense, hopefully Mr. T is working something out to keep him in green for a long, long time.
Excellent point. He is a complete corner in every sense of the word. Just goes to show you what most of us know. When the Jets drafted in 07 it wasn't a sexy pick. A lot of us wanted guys like Quinn, Dwayne Bowe and Greg Olsen, but it turns out they got it right all along. Him and Harris was a huge day.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofi View Post
There is no doubt that he is a top 3 corner. You can make the arguement that he is the best in the league. Derza and jmess are 100% right about Revis. He is one of the best tackling corners I have ever seen.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Excellent point. He is a complete corner in every sense of the word. Just goes to show you what most of us know. When the Jets drafted in 07 it wasn't a sexy pick. A lot of us wanted guys like Quinn, Dwayne Bowe and Greg Olsen, but it turns out they got it right all along. Him and Harris was a huge day.
Really? I thought most people wanted Revis.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Really? I thought most people wanted Revis.
I wanted Leon Hall. And I was wrong. But yeah, I remember most wanted CB's too.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I wanted Leon Hall. And I was wrong. But yeah, I remember most wanted CB's too.
I guess I was with you. I wanted Hall too but looks like we made the right choice.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Its going to be a tough game today against the Titans. They know they cant fall to 0-3 so they will be ready to play. I dont think Rex will have a problem matching their intensity. My prediction- Jets 20 Titans 10

Sig by BoneKrusher