Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke14 View Post
How about we swing a deal Braylon Edwards and a conditional 2011 pick for David Harris???
I definitely would not like that trade at all. Edwards I believe is a FA after this year so we could always go after him then, but for now the WR's have been playing well enough to win ballgames and that's enough. We could certainly use an upgrade but right now are in pretty good shape. Edwards concerns me anyway because he doesn't seem incredibly focused on football and I think that's hindering his career.

Harris has been one of the best players on this defense and should be a cornerstone for quite some time, he fits it so well. Ryan actually came out recently and said Harris is not going to get traded, so there's really no way I see this happening and I'd be incredibly bummed if it did. Not like one of those hypothetical scenarios that would be great but wouldn't happen, this would be awful and wouldn't happen.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely our hardest challenge yet. Hopefully someone on the Saints posts some bulletin board material or the media is against us, but otherwise it might be tough. Good news is our offense should be clicking in a dome. The only thing here is that if we go with an umbrella coverage they really shouldn't have enough of a rushing attack to really gash us, so that could work. I kind of think it's a mistake to send mass blitzes at a QB like Brees, but we'll see. I'll hope for the best!

And I have a feeling Vilma is going to play a big part in this one one way or another.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 09-30-2009 at 03:49 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wish we were getting Pace back this week instead of the week after. He would really be a help against this offense, but if we get back Shepperd and Strickland it will help drastically. I think it's part of the reason Ryan sat both of them against the run first Titans

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
I wish we were getting Pace back this week instead of the week after. He would really be a help against this offense, but if we get back Shepperd and Strickland it will help drastically. I think it's part of the reason Ryan sat both of them against the run first Titans
A pair of good points. Having Strickland and Shep out would really be killer against the Saints, so hopefully they're healthy. I saw Leonhard didn't practice today or yesterday or something also, so you'd have 3 of the top 5 secondary guys out for a prolific offense like that. Smith has been playing well and Lowery and Coleman are alright but you have a talent downgrade and a major lack of depth so that makes it tougher.

Also puts more pressure on the offense not only to put points on the board but to stay on the field so defensive guys can stay fresh. This would be a fantastic game to have the running game show up.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa. Just noticed your rep derza. lol

But it sounds like both teams are complimenting the other to death so far. I'm guessing it's going to be a hostile environment, so I'm interested to see how Sanchez handles it.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Whoa. Just noticed your rep derza. lol

But it sounds like both teams are complimenting the other to death so far. I'm guessing it's going to be a hostile environment, so I'm interested to see how Sanchez handles it.
I helped out D with a project to get the college and conference of each player on a particular team since I had some time to kill. I agreed to do the Jets before he let people know that he was going to give out 5k of rep for each team, and did a couple more just to kill some time...so my rep almost quadrupled. I would've done it even if he wasn't giving out rep since it was actually kind of cool to see and I was bored anyway, but yeah my rep exploded lol.

ANYWAYS on topic, I think the dome is going to be a good experience for Sanchez. On the downside there should be a ton of noise so it should be a really tough environment to play in, at the very least it will be interesting to see how he handles it and I'm sure he'll learn a thing or two and be better next time. He just seems like that kind of player (speaking of, hopefully he starts taking care of the ball a little better, since he's been a bit fumble prone). But on the flip side, he played at USC where weather wasn't much of an issue and had some trouble last game with the rain, so playing in the dome should help since I think he's better playing in ideal conditions right now. Hope he learns how to play in less than ideal conditions soon though, otherwise our fantastic looking pick isn't going to be paying dividends when the games matter.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

i know we had a brief discussion earlier this week about Vern, some guys said he didnt do a blessed thing, but I guess the coach disagrees...

from the NY POST
Ryan then went into high praise for maligned second-year LB Vernon Gholston, who played well against the Titans.

“We’re going to give a [game] ball to Vernon Gholston,” Ryan said. “I thought Vernon did an outstanding job. He prevented a touchdown on sheer hustle, great effort. Vernon is starting to get it. I think if Vernon was a first-round pick this year, all of us would have been really happy with it, fans included.”

Last edited by jmess15 : 10-02-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
jmess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

VG has an interesting situation right now because in this defense they're playing to his current abilities a lot and asking him to use his strength to tie up blockers, set the edge, etc. He's not beating double teams but he's helping clog things up and doing his job, but I think a lot of the NY media types and other Jets fans want to see some flash from him.

I'll take any productivity and contributions to the defense for now and hope that the flash shows up at some point in his career. At the very least it's a step in the right direction, he's a part of a defense that is very productive right now and has made a ton of progress in the last year. Lets hope it continues.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shepperd and Strickland are out vs the Saints
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Rough game. Sanchez definitely has a lot to work on, hopefully he cuts down on those "rookie" games because they're going to be near impossible to win. Definitely gives him some tape to look at and try to find some things to improve on, though I had hoped that the fumbling issue would be past him.

On the bright side, the defense looked great against a fantastic offense. Really the brightest spot for me though, since we knew the defense was good but now how good, was the play of Shonn Greene. He looked decisive and explosive when he got the ball and was easily the best runner on the team in his limited work IMO. I was disappointed they didn't get him more carries. I hope he gets worked into the game more in the future, for all his limitations in the passing game he's a very good runner and the running game really needs to pick up if this team is going to be able to sustain its early success.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rough game is right. As good as Sanchez may be, he still pisses me off how he holds the ball. So frustrating. Im not putting the loss all on him though. Our O-line played pretty bad in pass protection. We made Charles Grant look like an all pro. Shonn Greene really impressed me and was the best of our 3 backs today. He has to get more touchs.

As far as defense goes, I think we provd why we have the best D in the league. The losses of Lito and Strickland was not as bad as I thought it would be considering Brees only threw for 190 yards. We got some pressure on him but i dont think we recorded a sack. Cant wait untill Pace gets back next year. Oh yea, Revis was lights out again.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

If we beat the Dolphins next week, I feel like we're going to go to the Super Bowl.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game, guys. Your defense is scary.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leon Washington having 4 carries is completely unacceptable, He's our best player on offense (aside from Nick Mangold)
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just listening to The Mike Francesa show on the radio before and he had Leon on the show. He said to expect a lot more of the "Seminole" formation in the upcoming weeks. He said to expect some wrinkles with he and Brad Smith possibly throwing the ball. I've been waiting for Shotty to call some of these plays so we'll see how it goes.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Breaking news...ESPN reports that the Jets just traded for Braylon Edwards! no detaisl yet
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

nothing official, but reports say Stuckey, Trusnick and two undisclosed picks. Thought Stuckey was progressig nicely but I think its a good deal as long as there isn't a # 1 involved.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they're reporting you guys gave up a 3rd and 5th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
I think they're reporting you guys gave up a 3rd and 5th.
Yup. Hope this deal pans out better than I think it will.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yup. Hope this deal pans out better than I think it will.
As I said in the trade thread in the NFL forum, the key to Edwards, and it's been this way since his days at Michigan, is to get him involved early in games. And by early I mean like the first two drives of the game. Get him some looks and some catches early, even short ones like quick slants, and watch him have great games.

The flip side however is if you don't get him targets early, or he drops a couple early, you can pretty much count him out for the rest of the game. You never see Braylon have 1 catch for 10 yards in the first half and then explode in the second half. If you guys can get him involved early and often, I think you can expect 2007-like Braylon. If not, hello 2008.

I'd also point out the fact that Braylon seems to have his best games in primetime (ie Monday night). NY might actually be the perfect place for him to rebound to 2007 form.

I guess it's a gamble. The guy does have the ability to be an elite receiver. But can he get his head on right? I think you've got to look at it this way. Yes you gave up a bit (but not as much as the Browns were asking earlier as far as I know. Not a Browns fan though, just a BE fan hoping he can turn it around). But you also haven't given him a new deal, so it's basically 12 games to see if you want to. If you get 2007 Braylon, you might get 1,000 yards and 10+ TD's in those 12 games. If you get 2008 Braylon, you might get 600 yards, 3 TD's, and some costly drops in those 12 games.

Is the potential worth the risk? Is it worth the risk even if all you got was the 600 yards and 3 TD's? I guess that's a question you guys will have to answer, but it seems your GM already has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Last edited by ironman4579 : 10-07-2009 at 01:34 PM.
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really know how to feel about this trade. I really like Trusnik and Stuckey and I never like giving up draft picks. However, this seems to be a pretty good risk to take. If Braylon returns to form with the change of scenery, we have the true number one target we have been lacking for a long time, which will be a huge help to Sanchez. If Braylon busts out, we didn't give up such a huge amount that it drastically hurts the future.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

As long as they sign him long-term this is a pretty great deal. They more than likely will never get the opportunity in the near future to draft a receiver as talented as Braylon. And Michigan players are generally great for us.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I don't really know how to feel about this trade. I really like Trusnik and Stuckey and I never like giving up draft picks. However, this seems to be a pretty good risk to take. If Braylon returns to form with the change of scenery, we have the true number one target we have been lacking for a long time, which will be a huge help to Sanchez. If Braylon busts out, we didn't give up such a huge amount that it drastically hurts the future.
It's a nice gamble certainly as ironman pointed out, I just really wonder how much his NFL career matters him. I believe some Texans defender mentioned that last year Edwards talked to him during a game and said he wanted to talk to him about acting or modeling or something afterwards. Just not sure I see the die hard football player who winning means everything to, but hey maybe he actually is and that's just how the media paints him. I'd love to see him

I do want to reiterate that giving up more draft picks again is rough. At least we're out of a second in the Lito deal, most we can give up is a third after him missing these two and a half games. But this leaves us with, what, 4-5 picks this year? I dunno if we get a seventh for Favre retiring or not, but assuming Edwards and Lito both get the minimum required compensation we're left with picks in rounds 1, 2, 6, and 7. And if either gets an upgrade as I understand it, if Edwards gets a ton of catches he gets upgraded to a 2 and if Lito warrants a 3 for the Eagles but we're giving the Browns a 3 for Edwards the Eagles get a 2 and we're left with picks in 1, 4, 6, and 7. It's pretty rough either way. Hopefully we can swing a couple extra picks.

The one thing I do like about this deal beyond the upside that Edwards brings is his size. He should be a threat in the red zone which has not existed on the Jets in quite some time at WR, and he also could potentially be a security blanket for Sanchez when he faces pressure like the Saints game. Interesting time for a big WR to come in right after Sanchez didn't have a go to guy to just chuck the ball up for when he's under pressure, kind of like what Plax was for Manning. I remember thinking it would be nice to have a big WR as a security blanket for Sanchez because as much as I love Cotch he's not the kind of guy you throw the ball to and say "go up and get it". Edwards fits that a lot more than he does, so that could be a nice perk even if he isn't a monster. This is one of those wait and see trades, IMO. Hopefully he becomes motivated after being traded and plays well in the spotlight in NY for a winning (currently) team with a better supporting cast. Right now I'm keeping my expectations limited. We'll see.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

If Braylon plays up to the level he is capable of, well then I love the trade. I hope Braylon just needed a change of scenery. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of draft picks we will have in the upcoming draft.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the big thing with Braylon is that he is motivated to prove people wrong. I think leaving Mangini for Ryan will be big for his confidence and attitude.
I'm not too worried about the distractions in terms of acting/modeling whatever because I think most athletes understand where their bread is buttered even if they decide to do stuff on the side. Braylon should benefit from playing for a competitive team, on a big stage, for a coach that is a great motivator should really benefit him.
The two things I do hate most are the draft picks and the fact that he is only signed through the year. If he is is great for the rest of the year, he can bolt for a lucrative deal with another team.

The one thing I will say that I hope comes from the deal is that the Jets resign Brandon Renkhart for the 50th time. Losing Trusnik opens up a sport for a ST/backup linebacker.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote