Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Thomas Jones is having another pro bowl year, I don't think there is any way we let both him and Leon walk, RB is the position i'm the least worried about.

The Jets D needs a 5-tech in the worst way.
Agreed. And lucky for us, there will be plenty of options in the first few rounds.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Based on how well the defense has played plugging guys in and still playing well and how the Ravens' defense has done in years past, I wonder if they start looking at guys in later rounds that they like for whatever reason instead of early. It's funny because it seems like a lot of the Jets' needs are on D, and yet the strength of the team is on D, so it will be interesting if they go BPA early and for need later or what happens.

As an aside, would anybody be interested in working on the forum mock? Might be fun to actually get some Jets fans doing the Jets this time around, since generally there's some other team's fan who comes in and asks us who we think the Jets should pick.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Based on how well the defense has played plugging guys in and still playing well and how the Ravens' defense has done in years past, I wonder if they start looking at guys in later rounds that they like for whatever reason instead of early. It's funny because it seems like a lot of the Jets' needs are on D, and yet the strength of the team is on D, so it will be interesting if they go BPA early and for need later or what happens.

As an aside, would anybody be interested in working on the forum mock? Might be fun to actually get some Jets fans doing the Jets this time around, since generally there's some other team's fan who comes in and asks us who we think the Jets should pick.
If someone wants to be the Head GM, I would be happy to help them out and be the assistant or Co-GM. I don't have IRC which they use to make trades.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 12-16-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
If someone wants to be the Head GM, I would be happy to help them out and be the assistant or Co-GM. I don't have IRC which they use to make trades.
I'd be cool with Co-GMing or being an assistant GM as well and making trades if I was to co-GM with you or just putting in some input...anybody else? Apps are due tomorrow and it'd probably be fun to get a group of Jets fans involved, get everybody's take on picks/trades and try to improve our favorite team.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I just sent my app so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: Derza sent his app as well.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Sanchez has been named the starter for Sunday's game against the Falcons.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

It makes me so sad that after that last FG got botched I thought the Falcons were going to score and Sanchez was going to end the game with a pick. So many opportunities to put points on the board that just got left on the field...
Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said this last week about Giants defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan last week.

I want Brian Schottenheimer fired now. Not tomorrow, not A-F-T-E-R CSI, NOW!!!!!!!!
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

That was a tough loss. But then again, you aren't going to win many games when your QB has no respect for the ball or when you can't execute any of your 3 field goal attempts.

And I agree with Crickett, Brian Schottenheimer needs to be fired now.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched the game on Sunday, but I really didn't have much hope for a victory or honestly care all that much. Obviously I wasn't happy with the loss, but realistically winning wouldn't have mattered. Even if we got the playoffs, we would have lost in the first round most likely.

As the game was going on. I think it was apparent that the Jets would lose. When the Jets squander that many opportunities to score, they just won't win. Some teams can get away with eking out a win, but that is just never in the cards for the Jets.

Now that it is pretty clear that this team won't be making the playoffs, I can look on the season with a little perspective and say that, while disappointing, did have some promise for the future.
-Revis has become the best corner in football
-The defense has just been nasty all around and even with the injury to Jenkins it has still performed at a high level
-Sanchez hasn't been completely clueless (Tough to say considering that he has been pretty abysmal lately)
-Shonn Greene looks to have potential
-Keller is looking good even if his stats aren't great
-Braylon has shown some flashes, but hasn't been so good that he will garner a huge deal elsewhere. If he is back next year,maybe having a full year with the team/Sanchez getting better will lead to a resurgence

On to the bad:
-When looking at the roster, there isn't much depth anywhere.
-How will the injured guys rebound? Especially Jenkins coming off a knee surgery coupled with his previously lackluster work ethic.
-Sanchez is very much a question mark that may hold an aging roster back too long to keep the team a contender
-Thomas Jones is still productive but on the wrong side of thirty, so who knows when the wheels will fall off
-Schotty, what is there to say?
-Gholston is not only bad, he's been useless

My biggest concern in the overall direction of the team is that other than at quarterback, this team is built to contend soon. There aren't many clear successors to the aging starters and we have gotten rid of a lot of draft picks. The team seems to be counting on Sanchez being substantially better next year. While I still believe Sanchez will be good, I just don't know if he will be as good as the team needs him to be next year.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
That was a tough loss. But then again, you aren't going to win many games when your QB has no respect for the ball or when you can't execute any of your 3 field goal attempts.

And I agree with Crickett, Brian Schottenheimer needs to be fired now.
I am trying to think about things from a distance here and here is what I can come up with:

Ryan came in here with certain goals of remaking this team, and for the most part he has. He wanted to have a great defense, well he has the # 1 ranked defense in points allowed and yardage (I believe). He wanted to have a smash mouth offense, and he had the # 1 ranked running game going into yesterday. So based on that, with the exception of meeting President Obama he has met the expectations that he put on the team already so that is encouraging.

However, there are 3 things that I think have gone wrong:

1) Rex has had some vapor locks in close games, particularly when to call time outs. And I could use a little less bravado before, during and after games.

2) Shockingly, special teams has cost us 2 games this year. Normally Mike Westhoff coached teams are an advantage. Between trading away Trusnick (could have played apart in the coverage breakdowns allowing Ginn to return two kicks for a TD in one game) and losing Leon (our return game has been poor) this is where we are left.

3) Mr Sanchez has played like a rookie in a lot of spots. The only thing that concerns me is that he seems to be making the same mistake over and over (forcing balls into coverage etc). You would hope when a guy makes a rookie mistake, he learns and moves on, but Sanchez seems to be repeating some mistakes.

With all that, I think # 1 and # 3 will be corrected with reflections in the offseason and little more experience. As for # 2, I can only say based on past performance with Westhoff's special teams, that most of the issues are a fluke, so this should straighten itself out. So I think there is cause for some optimism now.

Going into next year, I dont see much in the way of dire needs. I think we need some depth and youner bodies, and would like to see us trade down a bit and possible move a veteran for some additional picks.

Lets see...
Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing that you pointed out that I didn't think of originally is Rex's little brain farts. I remember there was an inordinate amount of 12 men on the field penalties and stupid early timeouts. I think with a year of head coaching under his belt that should eliminate some stupid mistakes. Since the Jets lost a couple close games this year, it is definitely possible that even if the on field talent doesn't improve beyond getting healthier/more experienced, the record could really improve next year.

Regarding the draft, I agree with you that the only real mistake that the Jets could make would be trading up or trading picks for anything but a young stud. It's time to bring in several young guys that will grow into the starting lineup in a few years.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Not to over simplify things here, but you can make an argument that special teams and rookie QB mistakes have cost us 4 games this year, if those things could be straightened out we could be much improved. Only thing is looks like we do have a small window here with some guys being long in the tooth, so hopefully it happens soon.

Last edited by jmess15 : 12-22-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
jmess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Not to over simplify things here, but you can make an argument that special teams and rookie QB mistakes have cost us 4 games this year, if those things could be straightened out we could be much improved. Only thing is looks like we do have a small window here with some guys being long in the tooth, so hopefully it happens soon.
I agree with you on the fact that special teams/rookie QB have lost us games this year.

Here are our 7 losses so far.

New Orleans- we lost by 2 td's- Sanchez had 4 turnovers which led to 2 defensive touchdowns by the Saints.

Miami- lost by 4- Sanchez did not have any turnovers but he didnít play well. Our defense let us down in this game.

Buffalo- lost by 3 in OT- Sanchez threw 5 picks

Miami- lost by 5- Sanchez played great but our special teams gave up 2 touchdowns to Ginn.

Jacksonville- lost by 2- the Jags drove the length of the field in the final few minutes and kicked a FG.

New England- lost by 17- Sanchez had 5 turnovers but our defense didnít really help the cause.

Atlanta- lost by 3- Sanchez threw 3 picks. Our kicking game was terrible. Our defense was amazing except for the final drive.

Here is how I see it:

3 losses were on Sanchez.
2 losses were on special teams
2 losses were on our defense.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Here is how I see it:

3 losses were on Sanchez.
2 losses were on special teams
2 losses were on our defense.
I agree...like I said the QB should improve and hopefully special teams were only a fluke..so as long as we don't regress to many other places (OL/Runningback, D-Line) in the next year or two I think we can contend.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All i have to say is wow.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I can't believe the Jets control their own destiny. I'll be at next week's game, first one I've been able to go to all year, hopefully it'll be a good one. It obviously helped a ton that Manning didn't play in the second half, but they played a pretty nice game overall.

Let's hope the Bengals roll over without much to play for...they've looked kind of flat the last few weeks anyway so hopefully the Jets come in fired up and really just control it from the opening kickoff with the playoffs on the line.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I can't believe the Jets control their own destiny.
Who'd a thunk it...
Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I can not believe the Jets control their own destiny either.

I went to the Falcons game, after they lost I was sure they were done. Their offense looked terrible.

Cincinnati has definitely looked flat the last couple of games, especially considering how they started.

I could be wrong, but I think they Jets have the number 1 wildcard spot right now. Looking at Baltimore's matchup along with Denvers, they appear to have easier match ups.

Wonder what type of Cincinnati team we will see this week.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm so excited for next weeks game. I kno the jets can shut down cinci
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Wonder what type of Cincinnati team we will see this week.
They flexed the gam eto Sunday night, so by then if the Pats win then the Bengals will have nothing to play for at all, and the possibility exists that the Jets may play the Bengals in the playoffs the following week, so it is unlikely the Bengals will show the Jets anything.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think im going to be at the game. cant wait
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:23 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
They flexed the gam eto Sunday night, so by then if the Pats win then the Bengals will have nothing to play for at all, and the possibility exists that the Jets may play the Bengals in the playoffs the following week, so it is unlikely the Bengals will show the Jets anything.
If the Jets make the playoffs it WILL be as a 5 seed as they can not lose and get in. And if the Pats and Bengals both lose the Bengals will be the 4 seed. Therefore, if the Jets make the playoffs they WILL be playing the Bengals at Cin. Cin can however have other opponents although the difference between 3 and 4 is often slight.

Just for logic's sake, if you were the Bengals wouldn't you want to study for the same team for two weeks in a row, play them two straight weeks and see what they give you in the first week as they are trying to make the playoffs.

If the Pats lose, Ravens win and the Steelers win there's a possibility where the Ravens or Steelers could be in the 6 seed therefore playing the Bengals. Why would they want to see either division rival in the 1st round when both are physical teams who know the Bengals. And as I said before, if you are the Benagls playing to win on Sunday night you have to study two different teams/complex defensive systems (As NYJ, PIT, BAL all have good D's).

There aren't many reasons outside of a Herman Edwards speech for the Bengals to "Play to Win the Game" this coming Sunday.

Oh yea and Maleluga got hurt last week don't think they won't remember that when the Jets are house blitzing and cut blocking their asses off in the 1st quarter.

There's a possibility the Jets might rest starters in the second half. All that said I think the Jets could take the Bengals straight up anyway which is why I'm salivating for the playoffs. Revis on an island with Ochocinco-Get your popcorn ready!

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

3 Jets in the "Pro Bowl"

Revis, Mangold and Fanaca

ALAN FANACA!?
No David Harris? Pro Bowl is a joke.
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Moore > Alan Faneca
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote