Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
IThe only way I would like this move is if we sign him just to release him before the season leaving him jobless
Tell us how you really feel. lol
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Tell us how you really feel. lol
Haha apparently I'm not alone.....http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-meathead.html
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

From Rotoworld:

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a contract between the Jets and free agent Jason Taylor is "close to done."
The Sun-Sentinel cites "flying rumors" that Taylor will officially join the Jets next week. Only standing in the way of a deal are conditions like how many OTAs Taylor will have to participate in. It sounds like the sides have reached an agreement in principle. Currently at his home in Miami, Taylor is still expected to take the weekend before any announcement is made
Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just about to post that. Really, I don't have a problem with it. I know he's bashed the Jets a lot in the past, and it's clear why he's resorting to coming here, but we could use his help and it's at an awfully low price.

I do however think it'd be very funny if we end up selecting an OLB early on in the draft, and having used Taylor as a contingency plan, cut him a few days after.

It is clear though that the Jets see an apparent need to get to the QB out of the OLB position, contrary to what some here and elsewhere have previously believed.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
From Rotoworld:

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, a contract between the Jets and free agent Jason Taylor is "close to done."
The Sun-Sentinel cites "flying rumors" that Taylor will officially join the Jets next week. Only standing in the way of a deal are conditions like how many OTAs Taylor will have to participate in. It sounds like the sides have reached an agreement in principle. Currently at his home in Miami, Taylor is still expected to take the weekend before any announcement is made

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
I was just about to post that. Really, I don't have a problem with it. I know he's bashed the Jets a lot in the past, and it's clear why he's resorting to coming here, but we could use his help and it's at an awfully low price.

I do however think it'd be very funny if we end up selecting an OLB early on in the draft, and having used Taylor as a contingency plan, cut him a few days after.

It is clear though that the Jets see an apparent need to get to the QB out of the OLB position, contrary to what some here and elsewhere have previously believed.
I'm not thrilled either, but I want a Championship now and don't care how we get it. If it does happen we have not mortgaged our future and are getting him at a really low price. I am sure his primary reason for coming is to advance his TV/Movie career and being in NY and being on Hard Knocks can't hurt. That being said, I won't be surprised if he uses us to get an offer from the Fish or Patsies...
Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

This Thursday is possibly a big day for us. It's the last day RFAs can sign offer sheets from other teams, so if Tannenbaum is going to do something, expect it to be soon.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This Thursday is possibly a big day for us. It's the last day RFAs can sign offer sheets from other teams, so if Tannenbaum is going to do something, expect it to be soon.
Interesting...also big to see what happens with Leon and Clemens.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well we just traded for Santonio Holmes...guess this takes away the possibility of drafting a first round WR? Got him for a 5th rounder, his contract is up at the end of the season and he's facing a potential 4 game suspension but it's still a pretty nice get. Wonder what's going to happen with a couple borderline character guys on the team but he certainly will make the passing game much more explosive.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-11-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. Edwards, Cotchery, Holmes is one of the best receiving corps in the league. Add Keller, Leon, LT and Greene behind the best Line in football and this offense is ******* loaded. Jesus Christ I'm so happy right now

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Love the trade. A 5th rounder for a 1st round WR who also happens to be a Super Bowl MVP? Absolutely. I'm not really worried about the 4 game suspension or the "off the field" issues because he will have a great supporting cast around him in NY. People can look at it and say we don't have many draft picks left but I look at it and say we're built to win now and don't need all of those draft picks. If we use the few that we have remaining nearly as well as we did in last years draft it will be even scarier how good this team will be.

I like the way this team is being put together. Tannenbaum is collecting a group of hungry, talented vets in their contract years. The big challenge will be for Rex to keep everyone in line and focused, but I'm not too worried about that because most players would blindly follow Rex any day. Looks to be yet another great move by Mr. T and the Jets front office.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Wow. Edwards, Cotchery, Holmes is one of the best receiving corps in the league. Add Keller, Leon, LT and Greene behind the best Line in football and this offense is ******* loaded. Jesus Christ I'm so happy right now
This this this this and MORE F'N THIS!!!!!!! On paper, the Jets offense is insane right now.

Santonio Holmes for a fifth round draft pick. I swear when I first saw the thread I thought it was an April Fool's joke I missed.

Santonio Holmes for a fifth round draft pick. This is five kinds of ridiculous and seven kinds of awesome.

Someone in my household brought up that when the Jets drafted Sanchez, my first comment was that what good was drafting a quarterback with no one to throw to. Well, the Jets have a lot of people to throw to now. :D
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys robbed us.

There's no way to describe how pissed I am at only getting a fifth. Not angry at trading him, just at getting a fifth.

:(

I'm done writing rants, I'm just depressed.

I just hope this is some plot where Holmes doesn't resign with you and comes back to Pittsburgh.

But from an unbiased point of view, it was a great trade for you.

This has been a very, very unorthodox off-season for us.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

oh my god i nutted in my pants
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

ahahahaha now our draft is gonna be amazing
Old 04-12-2010, 01:37 AM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

I hate you guys so much right now :P . The new #1 defense and you also got Holmes...
Anyway now your only goal should be the Super Bowl right now, everything else is a failure. Good luck! (I've always liked teams with good running game and tough defense)
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."

Last edited by tenorx : 04-12-2010 at 01:56 AM.
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:16 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clowney
"Lord what am I doing wrong"

"I know this is a test,.. But God never puts you thru anything you can't handle. I trust you Lord"
That was his reaction to the trade. I hope we cut him. He's so selfish.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Love, Love the deal for a 5th rounder...a virtual no brainer...HOWEVER there are reports thAT Leon is involved...does anyone now if its official.....

Rotoworld:

Profootballtalk.com passes along "flying" rumors that unsigned restricted free agent Leon Washington is part of the trade that sent Santonio Holmes to the Jets on Sunday night.
Profootballtalk's Mike Florio has been unable to debunk the rumors yet, but points out that Washington would have to sign his one-year tender to be involved in any trade. If Washington is included, the deal would be much more sensible from the Steelers' standpoint. Washington, if able to recover from his compound leg fracture, would be a big upgrade on third downs and returns from incumbent Steelers No. 2 back Mewelde Moore
Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

Its not official. He would have to sign his tender.

You know his agent would be all over twitter if he did.................

Look at the players brought in since Mike T became GM

Faneca
D'Brick
Mangold
Woody
Revis
Cromartie
Edwards
Sanchez
Holmes
Keller
Pace
Tomlinson

Gholston
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

And those are all first rounders
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
Its not official. He would have to sign his tender.
I meant if the Homes for a 5th was official, or is it still unconfirmed
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I meant if the Homes for a 5th was official, or is it still unconfirmed
Its a 5th but there is likely more to it that we dont know.
Like something back in 2011 based on performance, stuff like that.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
Its a 5th but there is likely more to it that we dont know.
Like something back in 2011 based on performance, stuff like that.
heres the lates from Rotoworld:

Restricted free agent Leon Washington is not part of the Santonio Holmes trade, according to SI's Peter King.
It's still possible that Washington could be dealt after he signs his one-year tender, but King is one of the most respected reporters in the business and he seems very certain that Leon is not part of the deal. King also updates that the pick acquired by the Steelers was the 151st overall pick, not the 155th. As long as Washington doesn't end up in Pittsburgh, this deal is a robbery for the Jets. Source: Peter King on Twitter
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

Peter King has changed his stance on the Jets

Quote:
Now this is redonkulous. Donovan McNabb from Philadelphia to the Redskins at 8 p.m. last Sunday. Santonio Holmes from Pittsburgh to the Jets at 11:15 this Sunday night. The state of Pennsylvania obviously has no respect for the offseason sleep habits of Mr. Monday Morning QB.

Holmes to the Jets. A 26-year-old Super Bowl MVP traded for a fifth-round pick. A healthy star receiver coming off a 1,248-yard season, for the 155th overall choice in the draft.

Six quick points about a deal almost as stunning as the McNabb trade:

1. It's a 12-game trial for New York. It's a great deal for the Jets, obviously, but it comes with a giant asterisk. Profootballtalk.com reports Holmes is due to start the season on a four-game NFL suspension for violation of the league's substance-abuse policy. He's also been accused of assaulting a woman in Florida for allegedly throwing a glass of juice in her face and cutting her. Since this is the last year of Holmes' rookie contract, the Steelers are trading three-quarters of Holmes' 2010 season for a fifth-round pick, which makes a little more sense.

2. The Steelers are sending a message to Ben Roethlisberger, and to any other future miscreants on the team. We've all heard how chagrined the Steelers are over this offseason. ESPN reported Saturday there will be no criminal charges brought against Roethlisberger over his sexual-assault allegation by a 20-year-old coed in March -- I heard the same thing from a reliable source Sunday night -- but there could still be a civil suit filed by the family. And he still must meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

It's unlikely the commissioner would use use his far-reaching "the-shield-has-been-tarnished'' powers to suspend Roethlisberger for a brief period at the start of the season for his second sex-related accusation in eight months, especially without criminal charges. What may make more sense is a ban of a game or two by the upstanding Steelers, who could use conduct-detrimental-to-the-team as a reason to sit Roethlisberger. In a city like Pittsburgh, the populace would applaud a slap upside the head to Big Ben.

In the meantime, the Steelers, I believe, are saying to Roethlisberger: You have two strikes on you, and you're out if you get another strike. This is a decision of conscience for Pittsburgh, not a football decision.

3. This happened very suddenly, too sudden for the Steelers to troll the NFL to see if they could make a better deal, which they almost certainly could have done. When I say sudden, I mean Sunday. I hear the first inkling the Jets got of this deal came in a phone call Sunday, and GM Mike Tannenbaum jumped on it.

Now, it's possible the Jets have too many at-risk players. A four-game suspension for substance-abuse means Holmes is one positive test away from a year out of football. Fellow Jet wideout Braylon Edwards could be facing a one-game ban for pleading no contest to misdemeanor aggravated disorderly conduct. The Jets previously dealt for talented but troubled Antonio Cromartie (seven children in five states), who the Chargers were determined to unload this offseason.

4. Rex Ryan absolutely loves Holmes. It's no secret that the Jets coach thought Holmes was the most dangerous receiver he faced. Before taking the Jets job, Ryan was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. In 2007, second-year receiver Holmes caught eight balls for 208 yards and three touchdowns against the Ravens in two games. In 2008, Pittsburgh swept the Ravens in three low-scoring meetings, the last being the AFC Championship Game. In those three games, Pittsburgh totaled three offensive touchdowns -- all scoring receptions by Holmes.

Ryan's throwing a party this morning, and when Holmes walks into the Jets' complex in Florham Park, N.J., Ryan will hug him like a college roommate he hasn't seen for 30 years.

5. In retrospect, maybe we saw this coming. The Steelers signed Arnaz Battle, a poor man's Hines Ward, last month, and also brought back former all-purpose receiver Antwaan Randle El; they hosted immensely talented Dez Bryant, the top wide receiver in the draft, on a two-day visit a week ago. Mike Wallace emerged as a major threat as a rookie with a 756-yard, six-touchdown season. They could open the season with a respectable receiver group by doing nothing in the draft.

6. Jets-Steelers, in Pittsburgh, is more must-see TV for the NFL this fall. The schedule-maker is kind. We can only hope the game is in the last 13 weeks of the season, so Holmes will be there to face the team he helped get that sixth ring.

Last thing: The Jets are amazing. They've become a little like the old Raiders (we're afraid of taking no one on our team), a little like the Yankees (we'll sign anyone to win), and a little like the Dan Snyder Redskins (we love headlines!) in the last year. With any luck, they'll sign all-decade player Jason Taylor to be a designated pass-rusher by Wednesday. And with all the additions, they've retained their first- and second-round picks, 29th and 61st overall. If they don't implode, they're going to a damn good team.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0ktUl7Qkz
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Pat's fans...........
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So once Santonio comes back the 5th game of the season, who plays primarily in 2 WR sets? Given he and Edwards are both borderline #1 wideouts you'd think they would be the starters, but at the same time Cotchery is the most reliable WR on the team and I'd personally be a little disappointed if he gets the short end of the stick here. He's probably best suited to play in the slot in 3 WR sets, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a starter as well. Personally I think that, despite the issues it might cause with his ego, until Edwards proves he can consistently reel in passes he should be the #3 if Holmes steps in and is the same player he's been in Pittsburgh.

The other thing that I think is interesting about this deal is that with a shift in starting RB's we may see a shift in the way the team runs the ball. Right now with three starting caliber WR's you'd imagine that a lot of 3 WR sets will happen. It'll be tough to keep Keller off the field as well as another threat, but one of he and T-Rich will probably be taking a breather a significant amount of the time. This should mean that as opposed to running a lot of jumbo packages with the lineman coming in as a TE there will be more spreading a team out and getting extra DB's on the field. To me, this makes a ton of sense with Shonn Greene starting at RB. With TJ he was kind of slow and methodical, consistent but didn't break a ton of big plays or tackles. So it made sense to get the best blocking possible, thus running sets with 6 linemen. On the other hand, Greene is obviously a load and will blow up his fair share of defensive backs, so why not run sets that will not only prevent teams from putting 8 in the box but also put some smaller guys on the field who your RB will run over a good amount of the time? Plus since he's not much of a receiver out of the backfield running a 3 WR set along with Greene should make it tough to read whether or not it will be a running play or a passing play. I could be completely wrong here but it's something that does make a little sense and could be interesting to see if there is a shift next year. Obviously the deal will change a whole lot, wonder if this is part of it.

I also can't wait to see Ryan's comments on the deal.