Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, Derza, you're right. Smart move too.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/...n-david-harris

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As the article said, it'd be great if they were able to re-sign him to a long term deal (it has to happen eventually anyway) and use the tag to gain flexibility somewhere else. If not though, I'll definitely take it. Also apparently there was a tweet from Cro that he wants to be back next year, and I still think Edwards and Holmes like being Jets. Doubt any of them take pay cuts, but it'd be nice to get a bit of a discount for one or two of them to stick around.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ises-questions

Basically agree with everything that says

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So given this team is a running based team, I wonder to an extent what happens at the RB position this offseason. While LT was great early, he obviously fell off big time later in the year and I wonder how much he can be trusted to perform next year. McKnight is a major question mark as well, and Greene fell off from where he was his rookie season when given a bigger workload, though I still like him a lot. Anybody else think somebody else comes in to take up some carries, and it might be a bit more of a priority than we expect right now?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of speculation and rumors about the Jets possibly being interested in Chad Johnson. What does everyone think about that?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

To be completely honest, Chad's always one of those guys who's entertained me off the field. He's just goofy, he likes to have fun, and he's essentially harmless. He'd be hilarious with the NY media. On the field, I definitely have question marks. I've found a bit of a trend with him, he's really good one year, gets complacent the next offseason, puts up a bad year, everybody says he's done, he gets fired up and busts his ass, has a great year, and then gets lazy again. So, if that holds, he'd be due for a good year. But as hard as he works and as talented as he is he's not at all disciplined as a route runner, I think he ran a lot of wrong routes in Cincy the past few years, and I just don't think I'd want to bring him in to work with Sanchez honestly. Just don't think he's somebody I'd want a young quarterback developing with, but for a year if he's cheap it might be worth taking a flier.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we cant bring back Holmes and Braylon, CJ would be a good, cheaper alternative. Not that high on my wish list but i would understand the move

Sig by Me
Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Yeah, if we lose either Holmes or Braylon, I would not mind bringing him in for a 1 year rental so it gives us some time to develop or draft a WR.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Another interesting name is Shaun Rogers. He was let go this week and obviously he would be a perfect fit in our D. It's no secret that Jenks might not be with us next year and while Pouha did a good job, we could use an upgrade at NT. I know it comes down to money and we have guys we have to take care of in-house first, but I would love to see Rogers a Jet.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

While we're going with players the Browns recently cut, ex-Jet Kenyon Coleman could be a cheap option as a rotational end. Not sure they actually think he fits the scheme since he got moved just about right when Ryan got here, but he's not a bad player. It'll be interesting to see how they build depth at various positions. Safety will be interesting too, I'd kind of like them to sign a guy on the cheap or draft someone in rounds 4-6 and have them compete with Lowery.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Another interesting name is Shaun Rogers. He was let go this week and obviously he would be a perfect fit in our D. It's no secret that Jenks might not be with us next year and while Pouha did a good job, we could use an upgrade at NT. I know it comes down to money and we have guys we have to take care of in-house first, but I would love to see Rogers a Jet.
Really interested in Rogers. A line of a motivated Rogers, healthy Jenkins, and Pouha in the middle would be downright UNBLOCKABLE. Then add in Devito and Ropati (and possibly Ellis) rotating in with those guys, that has to be Rex's wet dream. He could be pretty cheap too considering how little he played this past year. Seems like a classic Tanny low risk/ high reward move IMO

Sig by Me
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

It also looks like Vlad is officially getting moved to RT, which basically signals the end of Woody's time as a Jet. All indications are that we will cut Woody and bring back Hunter to compete with Vlad next year

Sig by Me
Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Can't say that I'm surprised. Woody was on the decline the last few years and now it's time for Vlad to step up. Hunter wasn't all that bad either last year so that should be interesting to watch this summer.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
It also looks like Vlad is officially getting moved to RT, which basically signals the end of Woody's time as a Jet. All indications are that we will cut Woody and bring back Hunter to compete with Vlad next year
Interesting, I was hoping that was the case. It'd be good if Hunter can be brought back on the cheap, if not I'd be alright with bringing somebody else to compete with Vlad. We'll see how much cap space they can open up this year and what young players they have confidence in to step up, like we've been saying should be a very interesting offseason.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Recent report that they're going to let Cro walk. He was definitely solid, but if so that's a bit of a waste of a second round pick. Hopefully Wilson's ready if this is the case, and hopefully they manage to bring back at least one if not both of Holmes and Edwards if he gets to walk.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Recent report that they're going to let Cro walk. He was definitely solid, but if so that's a bit of a waste of a second round pick. Hopefully Wilson's ready if this is the case, and hopefully they manage to bring back at least one if not both of Holmes and Edwards if he gets to walk.
I think it is the absolute right move. Both WR are more importan, we invested a first rounder in a corner last year, our others corners looked good last year and the defense will most likely improve in other areas.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
I think it is the absolute right move. Both WR are more importan, we invested a first rounder in a corner last year, our others corners looked good last year and the defense will most likely improve in other areas.
I definitely agree that now it's the right move. Hindsight being 20/20, probably shouldn't have burned the second round pick to get him though. With his comments and the depth at the position I think it makes sense though. Hopefully Coleman can get brought back relatively cheap to play nickel and Wilson gets up to speed. I like Cole too in the dime, so if they bring back Coleman and have faith in Wilson I'd like to see them just ignore the position and work on other stuff, though with Rex's love for corners you never know.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you.

1. Revis is arguably the best cornerback in the league, but Cromartie played very well for the Jets this past season (despite what most people think) and IMO, letting him go is a waste of a second round draft pick (which would make me question the competency of the front office) and will break up one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL. The Jets blitzing was not nearly as effective at getting to the quarterback so very often the sheer quality at cornerback was often what prevented the Jets defense from getting butchered in the passing game.

2. On the flip side, while both Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes made big plays for the Jets, they were both horribly inconsistent to the point where they might as well have not been on the field some weeks. I'm thinking specifically of Green Bay and the second meeting with Miami. Both of them dropped many a big play and IMO, they can be replaced far more easily then people would expect of receivers with their kind of name recognition.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Honestly I don't think there should be any preconceived notions until the draft. Cromartie is probably easier to replace with Wilson, and a Revis-Wilson-Coleman-Cole group of corners isn't too bad. After all they did just invest the first in Wilson. My gut says that Edwards and Holmes, while inconsistent, would be good to bring back at least for a year or two to aid in the development in Sanchez. However, if there's a good WR in the draft and front 7 talent isn't a great value, then maybe you pop there and let one of Edwards/Holmes walk and try to re-sign Cro. Money is a big factor in this too like it or not and if he comes cheaper than Holmes or Edwards that could definitely help, but I think it's too early for them to be making a call one way or another. The fact that he's been a bit of an idiot with his comments since the season ended probably doesn't help his case either and may be the rationale for this.

The thing with the WR's is that, while they weren't terribly productive, I'm not necessarily sure that replacements would be. In fact, they might be worse. Jets WR's have consistently underachieved throughout my time as a fan here, so maybe that's a reason to go in a different direction and maybe not. But I'm not sure how easily they can be upgraded.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

So now the report isn't that we are going to let Cro walk, just that all 3 receivers are a higher priority than him. Can't say i really disagree with that, and i would assume Smith is a higher priority because he will presumably be a lot cheaper than Cro.

I definitely agree with putting Holmes and Edwards over Cro. If we could get these guys to sign long-term deals our passing game will be filthy for years to come. We already have a cheaper and younger replacement for Cro on the roster.

Sig by Me
Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I hope we're able to bring Brad Smith back. He does so much for us and has become one of my favorites on the team. It would be sad to see him go.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-17-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I hope so too, but I can't help but wonder if Smith is going to get superior money elsewhere and bolt. If he wants to come back and does so for less than he'd get on the open market I think it makes sense, but I'd guess some team will offer more than the Jets are willing to pay. Just a question of how much he wants to stay, if at all.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Happy birthday, Derza!

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Thanks 'Canes!

Cimini apparently recently reported that the Jets are looking to add a pass rusher with the 30th pick, thought that was interesting. Would certainly make sense, and there should be a lot of options there. How things shake out after the combine with dropping back into coverage will be interesting in determining value of guys in the 3-4, but given there are a few guys who should go in the late 1/mid 2 range they may be able to pick out their guy and reach a bit for him unless somebody drops.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Thanks 'Canes!

Cimini apparently recently reported that the Jets are looking to add a pass rusher with the 30th pick, thought that was interesting. Would certainly make sense, and there should be a lot of options there. How things shake out after the combine with dropping back into coverage will be interesting in determining value of guys in the 3-4, but given there are a few guys who should go in the late 1/mid 2 range they may be able to pick out their guy and reach a bit for him unless somebody drops.
Certainly makes sense and hopefully won't be the colossal bust Gholston was, but it leaves me wondering what the Jets are planning to do along the defensive line.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote