Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martez Wilson is an ILB so he is not a good pick there in the second. I really like Pettis and Powe though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey/B View Post
Yeah, some quality draft depth would be nice. With a defensive draft this good its a good time to do so.

I see drafts with us taking Powe in the third round. I like that a lot, just by reading his scouting report. Another 3rd round option is Kenrick Eliis's from Hampton. The this is, Ellis has character issues and that definitely scares me off. We need a NT anchor who will be a devout worker in the trenches and, quite possibly, may have to only be in the d-line rotation the first 2 years.

That leads me to this question, how good do you guys think Scott Pouha is? I mean, the run-d was solid but he has never stood out to me. Will either Hampton or Powe take the NT spot from him as a rookie?

(Also, I know I'm not on this forum a lot but, its draft week people! Lets get alive in here!!!)
I really hope we end up with either Powe or Ellis. Ellis is an absolute beast but as you said, he has some character concerns.

Sione Pouha has played pretty well. I think he is more of a rotational guy, not a guy who should be taking almost every snap at NT. I do like the fact that he can play nose and the 5 tech, though. If we can fill the needs at NT and DE and have Pouha as our 4th lineman, I would be very happy.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They've brought in Wilson for a private workout I believe and Ryan was at the Illinois Pro Day. Speculation it was for Liuget, but maybe it was to see Wilson? I'd imagine if they brought him in for a private workout they're interested in converting him to a 3-4 OLB, certainly has the frame and athleticism for it. I'd be quite reluctant to select him, but they may (right or wrong) be looking at it differently and perhaps he fits what they want. Lots of the potential 3-4 OLB prospects they've brought in that are potential first rounders stood up in college which I think is interesting, looks like they might want a little more versatility and aren't looking exclusively at pass rushers.

As for Pouha, I like him quite a bit. He and DeVito are really underrated players, both very good against the run, and I'd be quite content having both of them starting on the DL this coming season. If a third player can be added to start along with some rotational guys that'd be nice, although frankly if Ryan likes Tevaseu (wasn't he active for the AFCCG?) and the Gilbert/Dixon/Pitoitua group we might have the backups there and just need one guy to fill out the starting lineup. Given Pouha can play NT or DE you could bring in somebody from either spot, although based on the skill sets Pouha and DeVito bring a guy who can get after the QB a little bit might be nice so I think DE could be the way to go. Easier to find too. I'd be quite happy bringing in more DL guys, but I think one or two will come in and that's it.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I read an article today... Liuget and Phil Taylor were mentioned as possible targets in the first round. Sounds like we're definitely going D.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm somewhat intrigued by Paea right now. Ryan got it done with a smaller NT in Kelly Gregg while in Baltimore, Paea looks like he has room to add some bulk and is obviously incredibly strong. Great quickness and can be a penetrator from the NT spot, probably could play some DE as well - although he doesn't have the ideal frame for it he's certainly got the quickness and Ryan's had some shorter ends as well. Room to grow as a player, good understanding of leverage, gets off blocks well, forces double teams, was a great college player and I think his best football's ahead of him. Not an ideal 3-4 fit but I think they hybrid scheme can mask that a bit. Also think with DeVito and Pouha getting significant time as more run stoppers and hold the gap types his ability to penetrate the LOS would be a nice addition. Don't think there's going to be a perfect player at #30 anyway so barring a move up you have to take somebody with some flaws and I think I can live with his.

Additionally, doubtful that they'll have the ammo to move up but if they do try to I'd love to see a jump up for Jordan (who I hear they really like), Watt, or Quinn if he slips. Any of them would be a tremendous addition IMO.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Historically, the Jets' first round picks have been worked out by the team. Additionally, Tannenbaum recently said there are 8-10 names they're looking at with the 30th pick. Based on this list of pre-draft workouts (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...visitors-list), it might be a good guess that the first round pick might be one of: Corey Liuget, Gabe Carimi, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ryan Kerrigan, Akeem Ayers, Jimmy Smith, Justin Houston, Phil Taylor, Martez Wilson, and Randall Cobb (those are the 10 I think are potential first-rounders anyway, or as close as it gets). I think Liuget and Kerrigan are almost certainly off the board, with Carimi and Wilkerson likely off the board, and a pretty good chance that Smith and Ayers are off the board. Cobb strikes me as an interesting guy but a bit of a reach, and I think they want to go defense. Don't really like Wilson's fit, but maybe they do and have something specific in mind for him at OLB. Not sold they want to go NT but if they do Taylor's interesting and I think Houston could be in for a bit of a tumble this year. Should be pretty unpredictable this year, hopefully somebody slips. Of course there are likely other players they've worked out (hopefully somebody pulls together a more comprehensive list) and there's definitely a chance that they don't stick with that trend this year. Just figured it'd be interesting to roll through.

Also, I like Edmond Gates, Denarius Moore, Jah Reid, Kendrick Ellis, Sione Fua, Sam Acho, Dontay Moch, Jaiquawn Jarrett, and Josh Thomas among a few of the other names as potential mid-round options. Think they're looking at some solid players this year.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.Jersey/B is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Historically, the Jets' first round picks have been worked out by the team. Additionally, Tannenbaum recently said there are 8-10 names they're looking at with the 30th pick. Based on this list of pre-draft workouts (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...visitors-list), it might be a good guess that the first round pick might be one of: Corey Liuget, Gabe Carimi, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ryan Kerrigan, Akeem Ayers, Jimmy Smith, Justin Houston, Phil Taylor, Martez Wilson, and Randall Cobb (those are the 10 I think are potential first-rounders anyway, or as close as it gets). I think Liuget and Kerrigan are almost certainly off the board, with Carimi and Wilkerson likely off the board, and a pretty good chance that Smith and Ayers are off the board. Cobb strikes me as an interesting guy but a bit of a reach, and I think they want to go defense. Don't really like Wilson's fit, but maybe they do and have something specific in mind for him at OLB. Not sold they want to go NT but if they do Taylor's interesting and I think Houston could be in for a bit of a tumble this year. Should be pretty unpredictable this year, hopefully somebody slips. Of course there are likely other players they've worked out (hopefully somebody pulls together a more comprehensive list) and there's definitely a chance that they don't stick with that trend this year. Just figured it'd be interesting to roll through.

Also, I like Edmond Gates, Denarius Moore, Jah Reid, Kendrick Ellis, Sione Fua, Sam Acho, Dontay Moch, Jaiquawn Jarrett, and Josh Thomas among a few of the other names as potential mid-round options. Think they're looking at some solid players this year.
Upon Request: http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/3...est-list-v1-0/

Looks like were targeting pass rushing OLBs in the later rounds. (Except for Houston, maybe early round 2). Make sense to me.
Jersey/B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2. Martez Wilson
3. Jerrel Powe
4. Austin Pettis
4. Jason Pinkston
4. Zane Parr
5. Richard Sherman
6. Andrew Jackson
6. Chris White ILB/OLB
7. Caleb Jennings KR/RB
7. Probably a DE/DB/OL/WR

So I picked up Chris White and Caleb Jennings since I last spoke on here. Chris White was simply for the fact that I believe if you play in the SEC and do well, and have solid SWS numbers, you will be atleast a solid backup in the pros. I think he could be a eventual replacement to Scott.

Now Caleb is a personal pick, because I know him and all. But watch him on Youtube and youll see why I let a 7th go for him. He would be a excellent pickup incase you don't get to resign Brad Smith (FA right?) and could learn from LT to be the new 3rd down back, with solid hands and willingness to block.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I have a feeling we'll be targeting Ayers in the 1st round. The more I think about it, the less i like it.
I could definitely see that too, and it would be less than ideal. I'm warming up to him though the more I watch him, think he looks alright rushing off the edge and certainly allows the team to be "multiple" in their looks. I wanted a pass rusher, but odds are you're not going to find a stud pass rusher anyway that far down, maybe you luck into one in Ayers who wasn't given the opportunity to rush the QB as much as some of the DE conversion prospects in college and still didn't have ideal production or have motor concerns etc.

Either way, the Jets' first selection is going to be highly flawed unless they luck into a trade up for a guy who slips a ton. Ultimately we have to trust that the coaching staff has a feel for what kind of skill set they want to bring in at some position, and they'll look for that on tape. Unfortunately the last draft wasn't too great, but if they truly have targets instead of just standing pat and hoping they like somebody who slips that'd be nice. Honestly, getting somebody who contributes year 1 would be a pretty solid accomplishment that far down, better than anything that happened last year, but with all of the FA's they actually really need to make something positive happen IMO.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Scotts final Mock has us taking Ayers.

I'm not by any means somebody who watches film on these players but from reading his scouting report I perceive that he's athletic and has some natural pass rushing abilities. He was productive in college. His negatives though indicate bust! The biggest one being a tendency to display a lack of intensity and consistent motor.

I would rather have Heyward.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Things going well so far...lots of QB's going early, helps to push down some of the defensive talent. Lets hope a couple more go between now and #30 and they keep pushing down some of those defensive players.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Going good going good...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Wilkerson or Ayers with Bowers a sleeper?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hoping Wilkerson.....the guy is a monster.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Sweet, definitely happy with Wilkerson. Way more upside than I expected to get at the 30th pick, didn't love everything I saw when I watched him but he was extremely productive and moves so, so well for a guy his size. Think he's going to grow to the point where he can move all over the line, and hope he takes over the starting spot at the 5-tech along with DeVito and Pouha on the DL next season. Really excited to see what happens with him moving forward.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Can't believe Wilkerson fell to us.

Kiper said that Wilkerson to the Jets could arguably be the best pick of the first round.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Jersey/B
Rookie

Excited is the perfect word to describe our pick right now. In almost no drafts was Wilkerson projected to be there at 30. Its way to early to use the word value because, unfortunately, you just never know how draft picks will pan out in the NFL. But Wilkerson is a fantastic college player who is a physical freak and plays the very rare 5-technique that we needed. Great pick!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We might have lost Trevor Pryce but im pretty sure we just reincarnated him with Wilkerson. Love the pick

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Crazy thing about Wilkerson is he's 315 right now at 21 years old. He's going to grow and retain that athleticism, and he's got the frame to put on weight. By the time he develops, he'll be able to move all over the DL which is exciting. Think Rex, Pettine, and the rest of the defensive staff have to be really excited to have the opportunity to work with him.

Moving forward, lots of those potential OLB's are still on the board...perhaps a move up? Would be able to fill the two big needs if the right opportunity presents itself. Wonder if somebody (Houston) slips big time and is available at #94...Moch and Carter would be interesting options as well. Can never rule out a corner either and a DT like Ellis would really set up the DL nicely moving forward. Tomorrow should be quite exciting as well! Really nice start tonight.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see us move up tomorrow and get a pass rusher if they all start going. That really would be ideal IMO if we could end up with someone like Houston or Reed. Although from what it sounds like Jabaal Sheard is a big time possibility at #94

Edit: Just want to re-iterate how much I like the Wilkerson pick. All the scouting reports said that his negatives were he's a little unpolished and sometimes unmotivated which are two problems we have to be very confident that Rex can fix. He could be a starter day 1 and should be a major contributor regardless. Down the road i really do think he can be like Trevor Pryce was with the ability to productively play all 3 spots on the line (and DT in 4 man fronts too). What more could you ask for from the 30th pick?

Sig by Me

Last edited by JETS5128 : 04-29-2011 at 02:58 AM.
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Really wouldn't be surprised to see us move up tomorrow and get a pass rusher if they all start going. That really would be ideal IMO if we could end up with someone like Houston or Reed. Although from what it sounds like Jabaal Sheard is a big time possibility at #94?
Just about to ask how Jets fans would feel about the Jets drafting Sheard. I remember vs the Canes. He outplayed Orlando Franklin off the edge alot during that game. Even though Franklin's a RG to me in the NFL.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glad to see everyone is excited about the pick because now i don't have to make fun of anyone. Great pick and is one of the best case scenarios. He fits a need perfectly, gives flexability up front, and has loads of potential.

Pass rush is priority one right now, but not it will all depend on who falls. 94 is a long way away...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Also like that Wilkerson has a couple of very correctable technique issues, that once worked out will make him considerably better. He definitely plays a little high and I think could really improve once he starts playing with better leverage.

Definitely agree with TGJV that pass rush is priority #1 right now. Some interesting guys around that we might have ended up reaching for at #30 if the board fell differently, but very unlikely that they make it to #94 of course. Could see Sheard or Houston taking a tumble due to character concerns but that's pretty unlikely. Could be some interesting guys at WR, CB, FS, NT, etc. Just looking at Scott's rankings...

Bowers, Brandon Harris, Ayers, Paea, Aaron Williams, Reed, Bailey, Austin, Sheard, Dowling, Houston, Torrey Smith, Ballard, Titus Young, Cobb, Rahim Moore, Hankerson, Greg Little...would be thrilled if one of those guys happens to slip to 94. There's other interesting guys too - Martez Wilson would be in for a big change after playing a lot of ILB but I think he has to be a part of the conversation if he's there, Gates, Jarvis Jenkins, Salas, Acho, Moch, Davon House, Kenrick Ellis...plus there's some more WR's and CB's - could definitely see a OL if value presents itself and maybe even a LB too. Hopefully somebody good slips!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

It's always a great pick when you get to go relative BPA and fill a need, sometimes things just work out, which is awesome.

From listening to Rex it seems as though we may be looking at offense with our 3rd pick, but you never know what could happen. If someone drops lower than expected, we could rise up and snag them or just stay put again.

I can't find the quote, but Rex mentioned that like last year, he is allowed one pick (last year was Connor). It sounded like an offensive player with a defensive mentality?? Who the hell knows, but it'll be eager to see who Rex's pick is.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
It's always a great pick when you get to go relative BPA and fill a need, sometimes things just work out, which is awesome.

From listening to Rex it seems as though we may be looking at offense with our 3rd pick, but you never know what could happen. If someone drops lower than expected, we could rise up and snag them or just stay put again.

I can't find the quote, but Rex mentioned that like last year, he is allowed one pick (last year was Connor). It sounded like an offensive player with a defensive mentality?? Who the hell knows, but it'll be eager to see who Rex's pick is.
Blocking TE? Lee Smith from Marshall would be my guess, but who knows. Could be a real mauler of an OL too but I'd guess it'll be somebody they'll use situationally and a blocking TE would make sense.