Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pick coming up pretty soon and I've got no idea...should be interesting. Lots of guys with similar values at positions of need right now, nobody really stands out that much.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I have no idea of what we're going to do here.I don't see any good pass rushers left but maybe we take a chance on Romeus. NT Kendrick Ellis is still on the board too. I really have no idea.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Carter could be mildly interesting...WR like Salas or Gates, maybe they think Fua can get bigger and develop into a nose. Acho's not a bad guy to take a shot on at this point either.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Chris Carter could be mildly interesting...WR like Salas or Gates, maybe they think Fua can get bigger and develop into a nose. Acho's not a bad guy to take a shot on at this point either.
Forgot about Carter. I like him too.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Forgot about Carter. I like him too.
Yeah he's probably may favorite pass rushing option at this point. Ballard's a good value but probably a little redundant after Wilkerson, maybe they like Elmore and reach a bit...always the DB's too. Could be a small school corner or Quinton Carter/Robert Sands. Of course after naming all of these players it'll be somebody completely different.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Wilkerson & Kendrick Ellis. Couldn't have asked for much more. Awesome job so far.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wilkerson & Kendrick Ellis. Couldn't have asked for much more. Awesome job so far.
^^^ This..

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

For sure. I think the DL is set now for the foreseeable future. DeVito-Ellis-Wilkerson should be long-term starters. I like that, with Pouha's versatility, the better player between Ellis and Wilkerson can start this year and if one or the other isn't ready they can be a rotational player year one. Think you're going to get 1-2 quality backups from Dixon, Gilbert, and Pitoitua and then Tevaseu could definitely be a long-term backup at NT. Tomorrow will definitely be an interesting day, but a great start to the draft so far. So much more excited about our DL moving forward than I was before the draft started.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

And I think the improved d-line will help the pass rushers get to the QB.

Ellis - Ellis(maybe) - Wilkerson with Pouha and Devito coming in off the bench will definitely weaken the opposing o-line and open up opportunities for some sacks. I'm so pumped.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
For sure. I think the DL is set now for the foreseeable future. DeVito-Ellis-Wilkerson should be long-term starters. I like that, with Pouha's versatility, the better player between Ellis and Wilkerson can start this year and if one or the other isn't ready they can be a rotational player year one. Think you're going to get 1-2 quality backups from Dixon, Gilbert, and Pitoitua and then Tevaseu could definitely be a long-term backup at NT. Tomorrow will definitely be an interesting day, but a great start to the draft so far. So much more excited about our DL moving forward than I was before the draft started.
Yep, I really like the future of our d-line. Time to improve the pass rush next year.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
And I think the improved d-line will help the pass rushers get to the QB.

Ellis - Ellis(maybe) - Wilkerson with Pouha and Devito coming in off the bench will definitely weaken the opposing o-line and open up opportunities for some sacks. I'm so pumped.
Ellis may or may not be coming back...I think he might be gone. Pryce might be the most logical option to bring back as a one year stopgap if he elects not to retire.

Some interesting options moving forward to round 4 tomorrow...a couple of the wideouts could fit, maybe a guy like Carter is there or they take a shot on Acho if he's around, one of the safeties, a corner, think offensive line probably becomes more realistic at that point too...lots of possibilities. Should be fun!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D line back to back, my kind of draft.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Scott interviewed Acho a month or so ago on his podcast, and it one of the most impressive interviews I have ever heard. If we could grab him in the 4th or 5th I would be very excited. He sounds like a smart guy adn he's a high character guy.

As for tomorrow, OLB, WR, S, TE, CB, OT are all possible targets. [Bart Scott] Cant wait! [/Bart Scott]

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Scott interviewed Acho a month or so ago on his podcast, and it one of the most impressive interviews I have ever heard. If we could grab him in the 4th or 5th I would be very excited. He sounds like a smart guy adn he's a high character guy.

As for tomorrow, OLB, WR, S, TE, CB, OT are all possible targets. [Bart Scott] Cant wait! [/Bart Scott]
A friend of a friend actually knows Acho really well, went to high school together. By all accounts he's just an awesome guy.

Also, apparently Kenrick Ellis has a trial in July for a felony assault charge and is facing up to 20 years in prison. Puts a damper on my excitement about the pick.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
A friend of a friend actually knows Acho really well, went to high school together. By all accounts he's just an awesome guy.

Also, apparently Kenrick Ellis has a trial in July for a felony assault charge and is facing up to 20 years in prison. Puts a damper on my excitement about the pick.
It sure does. I hope the Jets did their homework on this one.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
It sure does. I hope the Jets did their homework on this one.
Yeah my thoughts exactly. You'd figure they would have given he had some question marks anyway, but if that slipped through the cracks it's a major mistake on their part. Not sure how it works out, but until I hear from Tanny and the rest of the crew about this at the presser (I'm sure they'll get grilled on it) I'm concerned. And if they go no comment I think we're screwed. Hopefully it all works out.

EDIT:

Tanny says any pick has risk, they did a lot of research on Ellis and based on the info they have they're comfortable taking him. Clinks says they had Ellis as the #2 NT in the draft, #36 overall.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
EDIT:

Tanny says any pick has risk, they did a lot of research on Ellis and based on the info they have they're comfortable taking him. Clinks says they had Ellis as the #2 NT in the draft, #36 overall.
That makes feel a little bit better.

I just realized I've been spelling Kenrick Ellis' first name wrong all draft season. I feel like an idiot, haha.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

It'll be interesting to see if we go after needs today in the later rounds, obviously they're going to like who they draft but do you take guys at positions where you might need starters or try to fill roles at this point? Wide receiver at least if you lose Holmes or Edwards and Cotchery starts you might need a slot so that could make sense, I don't think you take an OLB unless you think he can start. Offensive line works I think, blocking TE, wildcat QB, backup QB perhaps - I know they wanted to take a guy to develop and potentially trade. They did have interest in Tyrod Taylor...let him run Wildcat and try to continue to develop him as a pocket passer? Interesting developmental guy potentially. Probably could use ILB and corner depth too and I think that starting caliber safeties can be found at this point. Could use help in the return game too...and Rex likes the ground and pound so not sure we can rule out a pair of fresh legs. Think corner and safety should take priority along with somebody who can make an impact on the offense either from the slot or running wildcat.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-30-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Running back, interesting. Wonder if this is Ryan's pick. Frankly there were more guys I liked on the board, and I'm not sure what role Powell's going to play. Maybe a special teamer?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I'm not sure how I feel about the pick. He is a pretty good value but there is no need for him THIS year. I wasn't expecting a RB, though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about the pick. He is a pretty good value but there is no need for him THIS year. I wasn't expecting a RB, though.
I mean I just never think you can rule it out with what this team likes to do, think this is a sign they're going to get back to pounding the rock this year. Wonder if LDT is gone. He did run a little wildcat so I wonder if they like him there, might return kicks too. Frankly as much as I've tried to ignore it there's uncertainty at RB - Greene is injury prone based on the way he runs, isn't that versatile, and has fumbling issues; Tomlinson is aging, wore down as the previous season went on, and might not be back; and McKnight isn't that physical, and overall didn't prove a whole lot last year. Given how much they like to run the ball - and I think the best way to run this offense is through the run game with Sanchez throwing off of playaction, it does make some sense. Frankly I wasn't thrilled about this initially though, but if you think about whether or not there's a sure thing at RB maybe it makes a little sense.

I just hope that a) they don't keep 5 backs this year (including Conner) and b) Powell can make an impact more than just through running the football (special teams, maybe returning kicks, maybe wildcat) and c) this means they run the ball quite a bit more this year.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

You make a lot of good points there. And like you said in the other post, this may have been Rex's pick. Powell is a physical back with the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. I happened to watch his 203 yard game against Cincy and I was really impressed.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
I just hope that a) they don't keep 5 backs this year (including Conner) and b) Powell can make an impact more than just through running the football (special teams, maybe returning kicks, maybe wildcat) and c) this means they run the ball quite a bit more this year.
A) Agreed. I kind of hope Tomlinson is gone. I'm pretty comfortable with Greene, Powell, McKnight and Connor.

B) I don't know if he did any returning at Louisville but he doesn't remind me of a retuner at all. He is not that shifty or elusive.

C) Yes and I'm happy about that.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
A) Agreed. I kind of hope Tomlinson is gone. I'm pretty comfortable with Greene, Powell, McKnight and Connor.

B) I don't know if he did any returning at Louisville but he doesn't remind me of a retuner at all. He is not that shifty or elusive.

C) Yes and I'm happy about that.
Yeah the returning was really a shot in the dark, we'll have to see what kind of returning Westhoff is looking for with the new rules anyway. I do think that given he's physical he could make an impact on special teams maybe in more of a gunner capacity though, similar to what McKnight did last year. Just don't see the value unless he's filling multiple roles, so specials would be something for him to work on for sure.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well I'm guessing Kerley is a returner, could make an impact in the slot as well. Not a bad pick, and they obviously were impressed by his workout when everybody was talking about how they went down and worked out Dalton. Just moved down from the 6th to the 7th so still have 6 picks. Obviously they didn't like Carter for the scheme.