Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 AM    (permalink
JetMan01
Rookie

JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post

2. Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State 6'1 198: Athletic, ball-hawking safety who is renowned for his ability to make plays in coverage a.k.a exactly what we need on this defense. Also can deliver the big hit and has a good amount of size behind those hits. Known for being a bit too much of a gambler (in both coverage AND as a tackler) but should learn to wrap-up and become a solid tackler as he progresses throughout his career. I think pairing his playmaking abilities with Rex's defense and our coaching is a recipe for great success. Our safeties really have no ability to make plays in coverage so he would fit in right away and if hes good enough to start as a rookie next to Leonhard (assuming he returns) Smith and Pool should thrive with situational roles
Hey boys, first post, hopefully I can hang around for a bit. Anyways, I'd love to add this kid as a second rounder. You reallythink he'd be there tho?
JetMan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah so Hue Jackson was fired today. If we dont get him in here as OC im gonna be pissed. He is literally the perfect fit for our offense. Loves to run the ball and can develop Sanchez into a real good QB

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be a good fit - he and Ryan have some background together as well.

As for the mock I like Reiff, the only thing is I think going after a RT in FA (if there is one who makes sense) might be a better/safer move than trying to do it in the draft.

Also thought it was interesting that there have been some comp pick projections, and the Jets are projected to get 4 in the ones I've seen - two 6's and two 7's, with one of the 6's maybe ending up as a 5. Not ridiculously high picks, but they cannot be traded IIRC so that should be nice for adding depth since they're forced to use those. Could also lead to trying to move up, at least in the mid rounds, since they'll have those 4 regardless.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, Cowboys fan here. Our OL coach retired and is being replaced by your guy Bill Callahan.

I don't know anything about him. Is he a good coach? Anything would help lol, thanks.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Hey guys, Cowboys fan here. Our OL coach retired and is being replaced by your guy Bill Callahan.

I don't know anything about him. Is he a good coach? Anything would help lol, thanks.
Very good coach, he was the head coach of the Raiders awhile ago, I believe when they played the Bucs in the Super Bowl. Players supposedly love him and have given him a lot of credit for making them better. Pretty much was in charge of the run game too, which wasn't great this year but carried the team the past two years. Not perfect, didn't develop Vlad Ducasse all that well but that's not entirely on either individual, some guys just don't have it although Ducasse had a lot of tools. Disappointed to see him go, think it's a very good hire especially for the same position.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard the Jets are looking at Sparano and Haley for OC and Asst HC
Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Sparano hiring alot actually. He always has a top ten run game and preaches great O-line play. He also puts alot of emphasis on protecting the QB, something we need after getting Sanchez killed this year. Now we just need to hire Haley or Jackson (preferably Jackson) to get the passing game going and continue to develop Sanchez

Sig by Me
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

I was skeptical of the Sparano hiring at first but I'm starting to like it more and more after re-watching Hard Knocks from 2010. There were many scenes with Sanchez and Schotty pranking each other and taking things lightly, which is fine when it doesn't affect the play on the field (which I think it did a little). Schotty was a very solid coach for many years but I think a no nonsense guy like Sparano might be just what Sanchez and the offense needs to take his play to the next level.

On a side note, I would love to see Sparano get Joe McKnight to do some of the things he got Reggie Bush to do last year. That would be a great way to improve the offense from within. Still need a sure handed play making WR opposite Holmes though.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 AM    (permalink
JetMan01
Rookie

JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.

I have mixed feelings about the Sparano hiring. In the Michael Kay radio interview I believe he asked a very insightful question(not an endorsement of M Kay, just giving him credit), when he asked whether Sparano was concerned about his being a run-first guy and the league starting to favor passing teams. Given the personnel, it would probably never make sense to back off the run game and air-it-out like New Orleans or Green Bay, as I don't think anyone would argue that Sanchez getting 40+ attempts like Brees and Rodgers would be a good thing. That said, I feel its worth noting that Rex Ryan still believes the identity of this team is ground and pound and play suffocating defense. The Sparano hiring reflects this. I'm just concerned that its embracing a losing strategy of tomorrows NFL. I guess it all boils down to if you believe the AFC champ teams' model for success can be duplicated, and furthermore the implied question would be: can the NFL really change that fast? Food for thought, I suppose.
JetMan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Tomlinson had some interesting comments on the Sanchez-Holmes relationship, sounds like it was pretty bad. Wonder if Holmes will be gone regardless of the cap ramifications. Looks like the cap situation will be really bad too, not too much cap room. Also as I've been thinking about it, I think next year might be a good time to take some cap hits and cut some guys who will not be around long term to rebuild a bit. Not sure the team will be all that competitive regardless, would rather start that process a year early than a year late.

Also, would like to see more two tight end sets next year. Good for running the ball and it doesn't look like WR situation will be great next year. If we can find another TE it'd suit the style and make personnel a bit easier as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Yeah what LT said was real interesting. Hopefully Sparanos experience with Marshall helps and he can get Holmes to buy into the offense. If not he simply must be cut, bottom line.

Also, holding out hope that Hue Jackson gets brought in the longer he stays available

Sig by Me
Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I want Braylon Edwards back on a cheap deal. Big need at WR, he's explosive, has size, and can block so he's a good fit, he signed a cheap one year deal and is coming off a bad season so should be even cheaper. If he can shelve his pride and come back that's a high upside, cost effective way to fill a big need on the team.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex must have been predicting the Giants, not Jets. We definitely aren't #1 in NY!!!

Try to ride low this year boys...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone see the espn/sportscenter clip from John Clayton, on if Peyton does get let go? He mentioned the Jets then Skins. Were there other teams he mentioned? I just turned it on

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Sounds like per a tweet (and I never know how much those actually mean) Braylon might be willing to come back to the Jets next year. After a down year he'd probably come pretty cheap, and I think as a downfield threat he was sorely misse. This offseason there's not a ton of cap room to work with, so something along the lines of signing him to start at WR, Anthony Collins (Bengals) to play right tackle, re-signing Pouha, possibly re-signing Leonhard and Thomas depending on injuries (I frankly don't think either comes back, but the safeties in this FA class are weak so if Leonhard doesn't come back and Smith gets cut that might mean drafting both starting safeties this year which is a frightening prospect), and maybe bringing back most RFA's (Maybin would be nice) would be plenty in FA and put the team basically in as good a position as they could hope to be in heading into the draft given there's little to no cap room.

Pouha is probably the most expensive guy on the list, nobody would really break the bank and a lot of it is bringing guys back. Still, the additions of Edwards and Collins I think would be huge for the offense and the you've got the draft to address safety (at least one starter there), maybe OLB (to compete with Maybin and hopefully end up starting) and RB (ditto but for Greene), add some depth on the OL (maybe a guard to compete with Slauson and/or potentially take over for Moore down the road), maybe bring in an ILB to take over for Scott when he's gone, bring in another WR (if Holmes is gone too then another WR is obviously necessary as well and moves up much higher on the list). Plus they could bring in a punter in the late rounds since there's a 3-4 comp picks in the 6th and 7th rounds they should be getting, maybe some beef on the defensive line, a small school corner for Rex to develop, a tight end who can play in two TE sets, actually catch the ball and block some...lots of good mid-late round options.

Might not be a completely realistic offseason, but they obviously have familiarity with Edwards and Ryan just said he thought they missed him and it seems like Edwards might be willing to come back. Pretty sure they kicked the tires on Collins a few years ago when he was a RFA too, so I think there's been some interest there. He's not going to start in Cincy with Whitworth and Andre Smith at the tackles, but he's played well when he's been on the field and that's a tough division. Not a big splash but I think he'd be a clear, cost effective upgrade.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whats the word on Ducasse? Is he a guard, right tackle, etc.? And has he shown improvement to play next year?

And if the Jets do get Peyton like alot of the media (yes, I know its just media) think they'll try to do. Do you think it changes their draft plans?

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like bringing back Pouha, and I don't think they will, I believe they've set out to get younger on the defensive line. If I'm the Jets the only guys I'd resign are Jim Leonhard, Jamaal Westerman, and Aaron Maybin. Possibly Cole and Strickland. Burress for the league minimum or equally small 1 yr contract. Thomas, Pool, Brunell, O'Connell, Turner, and Tomlinson are most likely gone.

Also I'm not sure where you're getting that the Jets won't have a lot of cap room to work with, I'm seeing 40mil under the cap... I'd rather the Jets get Matt Forte than an end of the road Peyton Manning.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Whats the word on Ducasse? Is he a guard, right tackle, etc.? And has he shown improvement to play next year?

And if the Jets do get Peyton like alot of the media (yes, I know its just media) think they'll try to do. Do you think it changes their draft plans?
I'd expect the Jets to draft 2 offensive linemen and have them compete for the openings at LG and RT in pre-season.

I hope the Jets don't get Peyton (still pissed off about the Favre fiasco), he would not be worth the money. I think the Redskins make a lot more sense personally. However, I think it would change the plans slightly for later rounds, I think round 1 they still go pass-rusher, but later rounds maybe less emphasis on big run-blocking offensive linemen like I think they will do now.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I don't like bringing back Pouha, and I don't think they will, I believe they've set out to get younger on the defensive line. If I'm the Jets the only guys I'd resign are Jim Leonhard, Jamaal Westerman, and Aaron Maybin. Possibly Cole and Strickland. Burress for the league minimum or equally small 1 yr contract. Thomas, Pool, Brunell, O'Connell, Turner, and Tomlinson are most likely gone.

Also I'm not sure where you're getting that the Jets won't have a lot of cap room to work with, I'm seeing 40mil under the cap... I'd rather the Jets get Matt Forte than an end of the road Peyton Manning.
Why not resign Pouha?! He is a young 32 and one of the best run stuffing NT in the league. Plus what's even more important he is one of the defensive leaders and a great locker room presence. He should be back at a reasonable and give Ellis more time to develop. We cant risk to go into the season with two unproven 3-4 NTs in Ellis and MTV. And outside of Pouha we are extremely young on the defensive line so age really isnt a concern as the backups are all south of 30.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post

He has been an incredible bust so far and he has no football IQ at all. He has incredible strength run blocking and can maul people but other than that he would likely get the QB killed within the first couple of snaps. He is playing the extra tackle in the big packages but he really has shown no real improvement at all yet. I think his future is at guard...
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
Why not resign Pouha?! He is a young 32 and one of the best run stuffing NT in the league. Plus what's even more important he is one of the defensive leaders and a great locker room presence. He should be back at a reasonable and give Ellis more time to develop. We cant risk to go into the season with two unproven 3-4 NTs in Ellis and MTV. And outside of Pouha we are extremely young on the defensive line so age really isnt a concern as the backups are all south of 30.
Disagree about Pouha being one of the best run-stopping NTs but ok lol. Out of Devito, Pouha, and Wilkerson, he's the worst player on that front 3. Wilkerson's development over the year is what turned our awful run defense around IMO.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:

On Pouha, I'm not deadset on them bringing him back, I just anticipate that they might. Not sure Ellis is ready to start, and if they believe the team is going to be competitive next year I think you bring back Pouha on a 2-3 year deal. If not I could see not bringing him back and like I said I would be fine with that.

As for the cap, not sure where you're seeing that, could you link me? I don't see anything close to 40 million under the cap. I generally use nyjetscap.com and The Jets Blog had an article about it as well. Seems like they're at the cap and with a few moves could get under enough to make some minor plays. Huge difference between about at the cap and 40 million under though.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Quote:
Disagree about Pouha being one of the best run-stopping NTs but ok lol. Out of Devito, Pouha, and Wilkerson, he's the worst player on that front 3. Wilkerson's development over the year is what turned our awful run defense around IMO.
Pouha is widely regarded as one of the best run-stuffing interior lineman in the NFL. His role in Ryan's 3-4 defense basically asks him to suck up blockers on pass plays, which plays in to his strengths as he's not a great pass rusher. But he is the anchor of our running defense. Every time Pace, Harris, Scott or Leonhard make a tackle behind the LOS, Pouha is assuredly drawing 2 or 3 blockers, or penetrating in to the backfield to disrupt the initial run. Resigning him is the #1 priority for the team - Ellis is without a doubt not ready to play full time.
If anyone might go from the D-line, it might be DeVito. He was injured for much of this year and the Jets survived thanks to improved play from Tevaseu and Marcus Dixon. Plus (if I recall correctly from TheJetsBlog) he would free up some cap space if cut or traded.
Wilkerson was excellent this year considering his position - 3-4 defensive linemen don't rack up great counting stats, but are integral to how Ryan's linebackers and secondary players blitz. Wilk should be the starting 3-4 end for years to come.

In terms of the draft overall: I would be fine with Mark Barron, or whichever of the blitzing OLBs that Ryan likes in the 1st round. Barron is pretty clearly the best safety in the draft and our safeties are so woefully bad it's horrendous. If you can bring back Leonhard on a cheap deal, I am okay with that. Leonhard would have a much easier time playing his natural strong safety position if he had a true coverage guy like (hopefully) Barron behind him. Eric Smith's inability to play any position (strong safety, free safety, waterboy...) made Leonhard play out of position. Brodney Pool as the 3rd safety is fine.

Would love to see WRs later on - Nick Toon has both the name recognition (dad played excellently for Jets) and ability in the 2nd round. Some offensive line help is a must - both starting at RT and general depth - if Ducasse is your first backup like last year, something is horribly wrong. He's pretty much a lost cause at this point. Hopefully Turner can come back from the (Ducasse-caused) injury and be our first back up interior lineman. Love to see a replacement RT plus another depth guy.

Some inside linebacker help would be nice. Harris is a beast, but Scott is on the downhill and the backups are all undrafted free agents (Mauga). Need to be more athletic and faster.
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebkreb View Post
Pouha is widely regarded as one of the best run-stuffing interior lineman in the NFL. His role in Ryan's 3-4 defense basically asks him to suck up blockers on pass plays, which plays in to his strengths as he's not a great pass rusher. But he is the anchor of our running defense. Every time Pace, Harris, Scott or Leonhard make a tackle behind the LOS, Pouha is assuredly drawing 2 or 3 blockers, or penetrating in to the backfield to disrupt the initial run. Resigning him is the #1 priority for the team - Ellis is without a doubt not ready to play full time.
If anyone might go from the D-line, it might be DeVito. He was injured for much of this year and the Jets survived thanks to improved play from Tevaseu and Marcus Dixon. Plus (if I recall correctly from TheJetsBlog) he would free up some cap space if cut or traded.
Wilkerson was excellent this year considering his position - 3-4 defensive linemen don't rack up great counting stats, but are integral to how Ryan's linebackers and secondary players blitz. Wilk should be the starting 3-4 end for years to come.

In terms of the draft overall: I would be fine with Mark Barron, or whichever of the blitzing OLBs that Ryan likes in the 1st round. Barron is pretty clearly the best safety in the draft and our safeties are so woefully bad it's horrendous. If you can bring back Leonhard on a cheap deal, I am okay with that. Leonhard would have a much easier time playing his natural strong safety position if he had a true coverage guy like (hopefully) Barron behind him. Eric Smith's inability to play any position (strong safety, free safety, waterboy...) made Leonhard play out of position. Brodney Pool as the 3rd safety is fine.

Would love to see WRs later on - Nick Toon has both the name recognition (dad played excellently for Jets) and ability in the 2nd round. Some offensive line help is a must - both starting at RT and general depth - if Ducasse is your first backup like last year, something is horribly wrong. He's pretty much a lost cause at this point. Hopefully Turner can come back from the (Ducasse-caused) injury and be our first back up interior lineman. Love to see a replacement RT plus another depth guy.

Some inside linebacker help would be nice. Harris is a beast, but Scott is on the downhill and the backups are all undrafted free agents (Mauga). Need to be more athletic and faster.
Very good post. I don't think Barron is clearly the best safety in the draft but other than that, great post...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Yeah i think that this is a pretty deep safety class with guys like Harrison Smith and Markelle Martin outside of round 1. Would love to nab a pass rusher round 1 then one of those guys later on

Sig by Me