Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Yeah i think that this is a pretty deep safety class with guys like Harrison Smith and Markelle Martin outside of round 1. Would love to nab a pass rusher round 1 then one of those guys later on
Yeah, there might be a need for more than one safety also so they might want to grab more than one depending on who gets signed/re-signed in FA. The FA safety class looks pretty bad to me.

Only problems I see with that plan are that I'm not sure which round 1 pass rushers I really like and it ignores the worse side of the ball for the most part. Still could make sense though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
Very good post. I don't think Barron is clearly the best safety in the draft but other than that, great post...
That's fair and the depth at safety looks good too. I would have no problem with a pass rusher in round 1 and a safety in 2 or 3. I think safety, pass rusher and RT are clearly our biggest needs.
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say WR is pretty clearly a big need as well with the Holmes situation and Burress as a FA. The offense really needs more explosiveness in general, big plays were few and far between last year.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets are probably looking at guys like McNutt, Jerell Robinson, or Jeff fuller in round 4 or 5 for wide out. Markelle Martin would be great if they can nab him round 2, but I think drafting Barron round 1 would be a catastrophic mistake. He is not worth pick 16, not by a mile. I think Upshaw/Ingram is a no brainer round 1
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Not sure I agree with you about the WR situation, I can't see taking a guy in the 4th or 5th round and expecting him to play a significant role right away let alone start. It's FA or an earlier round at that position in my opinion at a bare minimum, if Holmes gets the axe it's even more significant because you have to bring in two starters. Need to make sure your investment at quarterback has guys he can throw to and the offense is the weaker side of the football anyway.

Don't think Upshaw/Ingram is a no brainer in the first round either. A legitimate option to consider, but far from a no brainer for me. Think there are questions how both project (Ingram moreso) with their size and lack of elite athleticism as pass rushers. Upshaw at least I think is going to be a guy you can plug and play and expect to be rock solid as a 3-4 OLB since he's just a good football player and has experience playing the position, but not sure he's going to be an elite pass rusher. Ingram's versatile, but much more of a roll of the dice since with his size/arms he can get engulfed by tackles and he doesn't nearly have Upshaw's experience playing the position.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like any of the receivers the Jets can get value-wise in the draft early. If alshon slips to 2nd round pick 15, awesome, if not then one of the day 3 guys I mentioned. Who do you suggest they get and with what pick? Any scenario where a wr gets taken round 1 is awful in my opinion.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I don't necessarily think they need to draft a WR in the first round, and would prefer they sign somebody in FA on the cheap (Braylon Edwards would be fine by me) if they can. However, I would be shocked if they let a mid-round rookie come in and expect him to start on a team that had an anemic offense last year mostly due to a poor passing game. They're going to want whoever is playing quarterback (and I'd be shocked if it wasn't Sanchez, meaning all the more need to improve the supporting cast) to have some weapons.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebkreb View Post
That's fair and the depth at safety looks good too. I would have no problem with a pass rusher in round 1 and a safety in 2 or 3. I think safety, pass rusher and RT are clearly our biggest needs.
Exactly. We might create one or two more holes by releasing Bart Scott and trading Holmes, youll never know. In the end though it is pretty obvious what the Jets have to do and I have faith in them that they will make the needed efforts to improve the team.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like Holmes and Sanchez are going to try to make peace. Seems like the kind of thing that might blow up in everyone's face, but hopefully it works out. We'll know if Holmes is actually going to get cut soon since he's guaranteed $15 million or something like that if he's on the roster after February 8, seems very unlikely that he'll get cut though. Seems like it might be the kind of thing that winning would cure, but things will get worse if the team has another bad season next year. Whether or not the team actually wins next season is a completely different story.

Will be interesting to see what happens this offseason, lots of needs. Free agency starts in about a month so we'll see what they elect to address there and which they decide to leave for the draft.

Also there have been rumors that Dustin Keller might get traded as he's not a great blocker and not a really good fit for the offense Sparano might bring in. Not sure if that'll be the case, but if not since there's a good chance Burress goes in FA, would still be good to bring in a legitimate TE IMO who can block and catch the ball and run two TE sets as en vogue as it's going to be with the Pats having so much success doing it. Easier to disguise run vs pass, Keller not being a tremendous blocker isn't quite as important if there's another blocking TE out there, good set to run out of, still two pass catching options out there, and Sanchez needs/likes big targets anyway.

Also, Curtis Martin got into the HOF. Very happy for him, one of my favorite Jets.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Apparently Wayne Hunter's salary this season ($2.5 million) is now fully guaranteed because he wasn't released today. Do not understand the rationale behind this at all. At the very least they should have cut him and seen if he would re-sign to a cheaper deal. Especially ridiculous because the team's over the cap as is.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Nebkreb
Rookie

Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.Nebkreb is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Apparently Wayne Hunter's salary this season ($2.5 million) is now fully guaranteed because he wasn't released today. Do not understand the rationale behind this at all. At the very least they should have cut him and seen if he would re-sign to a cheaper deal. Especially ridiculous because the team's over the cap as is.
as much as I don't want to be a douche, this feels like typical Jets. Obvious solution with no downside... nope!
Nebkreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
i dont understand what the hell mike t is thinking. this was a terrible decision. 2.5 mil is wayyy too much for an awful RT/depth OL

last offseason/this season/this offseason so far has completely destroyed what was a super bowl caliber team
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

On the bright side Brick restructured his contract and it saves $7.5 million against the cap. Some more restructuring is on the way I'd bet, wonder how much cap room the team will have at the start of the offseason.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Bart Scott has been given permission to seek a trade. Wonder if they try to draft his replacement or stick with Mauga, know the coaching staff is high on him. Would be easier to stick with Mauga, just opens up another need if they have to draft a starting ILB too. May not be a priority position though, I'm sure they take them out in nickel. Does open up Luke Kuechly if he's around, would be an interesting option to help cover TE's.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching Dontari Poe combine workout... If he falls to the NYJ at 16 do you take him? I would seeing how K. Ellis hardly saw the field last year.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Depends who else is on the board. I probably would but it has nothing to do with Ellis, he did well when he saw the field IMO and I think he has a good future ahead of him.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-edwards-back/

This **** better happen

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They were so stupid for replacing him with Plax in the first place.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah......

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Bringing back Braylon would be excellent. Not sure it completely closes the possibility of drafting a WR, particularly on day 2 or early day 3, but his explosiveness was really missed. Chance he'll be cheap too, not sure who's going to pay too much for him after last year - especially in a pretty good WR class.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

Anyone else see/hear the team's interested in bringing in/signing Jason Campbell. I would.. Can't see he'd be that expensive be close to 30 years of age and coming off season ending injury. (I always liked him)

Sig by, Hitman D
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Anyone else see/hear the team's interested in bringing in/signing Jason Campbell. I would.. Can't see he'd be that expensive be close to 30 years of age and coming off season ending injury. (I always liked him)
I didn't hear that yet but I'm for it. I've been a fan since his Auburn days. He would either push Sanchez to get better or perhaps even win the starting job.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mo, who's better than Barron at safety in this draft?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My very realistic off-season wish list as of today

1. Re-sign Braylon
2. Draft Melvin Ingram round 1
3. Markelle Martin round 2
4. Vlad develops into starting RT or Wayne Hunter miraculously improves
5. Sign Laron Landry

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My very realistic off-season wish list as of today

1. Re-sign Braylon
2. Draft Melvin Ingram round 1
3. Markelle Martin round 2
4. Vlad develops into starting RT or Wayne Hunter miraculously improves
5. Sign Laron Landry
I'm not sure if #4 is realistic. I'd be pretty happy with everything else though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote