Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
To me, the important part isn't the $940,000 or $400,000, but rather the one year part. If Reed really doesn't have anything left in the tank, the Jets aren't left with any dead money next year.
Once he cleared of waiver, you have no worry about next year at all. However, Jets can extend a contract to next year.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex Ryan is now 1-4 after bye week.

Jets played like they had no clue of how to play football. Jesus!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not the reason they lost, but why is it that Ivory got the vast majority of the carries even when he was easily the less effective runner. Powell has gotten very few chances over the last few games and it doesn't make much sense. The coaches have fallen in love with Ivory and that is that.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Not the reason they lost, but why is it that Ivory got the vast majority of the carries even when he was easily the less effective runner. Powell has gotten very few chances over the last few games and it doesn't make much sense. The coaches have fallen in love with Ivory and that is that.

Ivory is quicker and more powerful. I guess. It is really difficult to say since Jets have been trailing for the entire game.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Now we can see why Ivory is the man. lol
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that was painful.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless they have a strong conviction against Simms based on his practice performances, there's no way I'm starting Geno next week.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- Geno looked absolutely clueless out there. Some terrible, terrible throws and decisions.

- I'm getting tired of Milliner.

- This team sucks on the road.

That's all I got.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Unless they have a strong conviction against Simms based on his practice performances, there's no way I'm starting Geno next week.
The way Smith has played this season, he will start next week. I don't think Simms can be the answer.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Right now Dolphins and Jets are sitting on 5-5 which is held over several teams for 6th spot. Unfortunately, Jets are 2-5 in Conference and 4-3 for Dolphins as they have yet to play each other.

While Splitting with Dolphins won't hurt., 2-5 in Conference never is a good news if Jets finish the season at identical records with other teams.

Jets have 5 games left and Jets need to win all of them to ensure the playoff spot.

Ravens Away
Dolphins Home
Raiders Home
Browns Home
Dolphins Away

Jets can continue winning at home and need to figure how to beat Ravens and Dolphins as a visiting team. Splitting will get Jets at 5-7. No good.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
The way Smith has played this season, he will start next week. I don't think Simms can be the answer.
Eh. The question right now isn't 'Are you our franchise QB.' It's 'can you manage the game, not make mistakes, and make a few throws here and there.'

Simms might not be the answer to the first question, but he's probably a better answer to the second question. Based on what little we've seen since college.

Geno Smith just doesn't look like an NFL QB right now. He's someone a 2-8 team would have no problems trotting out there to grow on the job. But this defense/OL/coaching staff is too good right now to allow Geno to kill them every week.

I was never high on Smith, and he has undoubtedly shown flashes. But 'the way he's played this season' has been WELL below average on an otherwise above average team with a great shot at the playoffs. He's got almost 20 turnovers.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the up and down nature of Smith's play is to be expected as a rookie - not excusable, but expected. Unless Simms is blowing people away in practice, I think it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction to yank Smith next week given the team has more or less been successful - although that has been despite Geno's play at points.

That said, if Geno bombs next week I think they have to give Simms the call for a couple of weeks. See if you've got something more in him and maybe he gives the team a better chance to win. If he's worse then fine, back to Geno for the last couple of games to determine what you want to do with QB's heading into next season.

But the upside's always been there with Simms - not like he's a weak armed career backup. Odds are he's not going to put it together, but if he ever does they'll have something. Certainly looked good in the preseason and okay in limited time last week - not exactly indicators of NFL success, but it's better than looking bad. He's at least played well enough to raise the question, and Geno hasn't played well enough to shut the door.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The real issue I have with this whole situation is why the Jets don't have a more reasonable backup than Matt Simms. The Jets have been without a legit backup for a very long time. I mean, Brunell seemed to be regarded as more of an assistant qb coach than an actual option to play in the years they had him. Cutting Brady Quinn for David Garrard made no sense to me at the time and makes even less sense now. At the very least, Quinn has some nfl experience and is healthy enough to play. Geno has not had many ups and even though im not confident at all in simms, you cant have bilnd trust in a young qb just because you dont want to destroy his confidence.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think the up and down nature of Smith's play is to be expected as a rookie - not excusable, but expected. Unless Simms is blowing people away in practice, I think it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction to yank Smith next week given the team has more or less been successful - although that has been despite Geno's play at points.

That said, if Geno bombs next week I think they have to give Simms the call for a couple of weeks. See if you've got something more in him and maybe he gives the team a better chance to win. If he's worse then fine, back to Geno for the last couple of games to determine what you want to do with QB's heading into next season.

But the upside's always been there with Simms - not like he's a weak armed career backup. Odds are he's not going to put it together, but if he ever does they'll have something. Certainly looked good in the preseason and okay in limited time last week - not exactly indicators of NFL success, but it's better than looking bad. He's at least played well enough to raise the question, and Geno hasn't played well enough to shut the door.
Maybe it's because of how much I argued against Smith during the draft process, but I've run out of patience. He has not been been up and down. He's had MAYBE 3 decent games all year (one against an atrocious defense where he threw it 20 times). The rest have been trainwrecks, including five trainwrecks in a row showing he's regressed.

The guy has almost 20 freaking turnovers. Why are we waiting for after this week? If (when) he does bomb, delaying his benching for a week will have cost them a game. No. Do it now. He's been awful for five straight -why make it 6 and lose playoff leverage in the process?

The only way I don't go to Simms if I'm Rex/MM is if I just think Simms can't play a lick in the NFL. If I think he can make a few throws and protect the ball AT ALL, he's starting and I'm handing it to the backs 40 times, mixing in some easy throws on first down.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
The real issue I have with this whole situation is why the Jets don't have a more reasonable backup than Matt Simms. The Jets have been without a legit backup for a very long time. I mean, Brunell seemed to be regarded as more of an assistant qb coach than an actual option to play in the years they had him. Cutting Brady Quinn for David Garrard made no sense to me at the time and makes even less sense now. At the very least, Quinn has some nfl experience and is healthy enough to play. Geno has not had many ups and even though im not confident at all in simms, you cant have bilnd trust in a young qb just because you dont want to destroy his confidence.
It's insanely tough to find any worthwhile QB. When you try to find one that you don't have to pay a lot of money, but would trust to run the franchise in the event of an emergency, that's almost impossible. There are fewer cost-effective but capable backup QBs than elite QBs in this league. That's the way it goes.

I actually like the idea of your backup being a young guy you can groom. This way you can keep him in your program at a reasonable price. The retread vets are either atrocious, overpriced, or become loyal to a situation they like.

Finding a good backup is hard. And Matt Simms might even be a good backup. I don't think it's fair at all to blame Idzik for not having a reasonable backup. Half the teams don't have a reasonable starter lol.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe it's because of how much I argued against Smith during the draft process, but I've run out of patience. He has not been been up and down. He's had MAYBE 3 decent games all year (one against an atrocious defense where he threw it 20 times). The rest have been trainwrecks, including five trainwrecks in a row showing he's regressed.

The guy has almost 20 freaking turnovers. Why are we waiting for after this week? If (when) he does bomb, delaying his benching for a week will have cost them a game. No. Do it now. He's been awful for five straight -why make it 6 and lose playoff leverage in the process?

The only way I don't go to Simms if I'm Rex/MM is if I just think Simms can't play a lick in the NFL. If I think he can make a few throws and protect the ball AT ALL, he's starting and I'm handing it to the backs 40 times, mixing in some easy throws on first down.
I guess the perspective I'm coming from is that all else equal, I'm assuming that Smith is outplaying Simms in practice. And that being the case, it's early to pull a young guy for a slightly older young guy - even if he's been playing poorly.

I won't complain a bit if they start Simms, they haven't invested THAT much in Geno and knew he was going to be raw coming in. I just don't think they do it because if they thought Simms was better he would have been the starter to begin the season, and they had to expect some ugly games from Geno since he's raw in terms of footwork/reads. The regression has been disappointing, though. Last game was I think the most overwhelmed he's looked this season.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's insanely tough to find any worthwhile QB. When you try to find one that you don't have to pay a lot of money, but would trust to run the franchise in the event of an emergency, that's almost impossible. There are fewer cost-effective but capable backup QBs than elite QBs in this league. That's the way it goes.

I actually like the idea of your backup being a young guy you can groom. This way you can keep him in your program at a reasonable price. The retread vets are either atrocious, overpriced, or become loyal to a situation they like.

Finding a good backup is hard. And Matt Simms might even be a good backup. I don't think it's fair at all to blame Idzik for not having a reasonable backup. Half the teams don't have a reasonable starter lol.
The one spot I blame the Jets on is having Garrard on the roster. it seems clear that they don't seem him as a viable option in terms of being able to play so why cut an able bodied guy to keep him around? I am not a "fan" of Brady Quinn, other than his hillariously bad myoplex commercials from a while ago, but he seems like the perfect guy to have as a backup.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

They aren't really cutting an able-bodied guy because he's the 3rd QB and inactive on gamedays. The guy they cut for him wouldn't have been active anyway. And Garrard is definitely worth way more than that guy (whoever it was, who might be on PS) in the building.

I don't have any problem with bringing back Garrard for his presence. He's a good mentor for the young guys.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Well I obviously think that Simms should be inactive and Quinn should be the backup in my scenario where he doesnt get cut. If Simms is the backup, then yeah, Garrard is a better non player than Quinn as a mentor. I don't like having a first year qb as a starter and an even more inexperienced guy as a backup. If you have a decently experienced guy as your starter, a developmental backup is perfectly fine, but not with a rookie as starter.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Eh. No QB that has become available in over a year has been a guy I'm kicking the Jets for not adding. Those guys just aren't available. I like what I've seen of Simms.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Smith already played 10 games. He just played pro style offense for first time ever and obviously needs some seasonings to pick up NFL offense.

If Jets want to have a shot for playoff and need offense to be under control then Jets could try Simms or Garrard. If Simms or Garrard isn't able to move the offense well enough to win games for 2 or 3 weeks and Jets are at the cellar for playoff picture then Smith will finish the season.

Next year, Matt Schaub could start for us until Smith is ready.

I am not sold on 2014's first round quarterback project. Only youngster who can unseat Smith is 1st round draftee. None else.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The Jets lack guys with ball skills on both sides of the football.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Like I never saw that happen. lol.

I start to concern about qb situation. Manuel has more chance to have a breakout season next season than Geno Smith. Tannenhill will enter 3rd season in pro and 5th season under Mike Sherman. Brady is Brady. Smith is still in the cellar for AFC.

I think about Zach Mettenberger for 1st round pick because he has been impressive for most of time under Cameron. Cameron is an outstanding at developing complex plays so Mettenberger would be automatically an upgrade to Geno Smith who struggled mightily in his first pro style debut. Mettenberger would be ready for WCO complex so that way Jets actually coach games aggressively. Jets could not afford to wait for Smith to come around.

OL struggles because Colon is only OL that is familiar with trapping MBS. Responsibility for blocking assignment is horrible. Either Jets need to find a veteran trapper for LG job or push for extra practice time to get thru skullheads.

QB can be fixed by signing Matt Schaub but he is still under the contract with Texans. Once he is on the board, Jets could easily draft two targets in first 2 rounds (WR and TE).

LG and RG remain unknown. Bringing Colon back? drafting an actual mauler or two? Will William Campbell be ready to handle RG job? Winters strengthens up over the winter?

Howard should be brought back. He is getting there.

WR- stick with draftees.
TE- veteran would be nice but who?

Defensive side...

I notice that TE has been picking on defense. Get to find someone who can handle coverage responsibility with tighter cover.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
The Jets lack guys with ball skills on both sides of the football.
May I make an excuse. It is windy. lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

5 wins in a row. I call it.