Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-01-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, make it 4. lol.

Jets' winning project is 9-7.

Steelers have to beat Dolphins.
Ravens have to beat Steelers.

Other than that, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers and Titans have to lose the rest of the season as Jets have to win the rest of the season.

I think it will topple Bob Hope for the most comedy of the universe.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Well, make it 4. lol.

Jets' winning project is 9-7.

Steelers have to beat Dolphins.
Ravens have to beat Steelers.

Other than that, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers and Titans have to lose the rest of the season as Jets have to win the rest of the season.
I think at this point the Jets have to set their sights a little lower than that. Like maybe putting more than 3 points on the scoreboard. And then maybe move their way up to being able to score an offensive touchdown.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets could really, really use a good skill position player on offense. At really any skill position. Quarterback would be great, but I'd take a stud at RB, WR, or TE too.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Off-Season Dream.

Head Coach:

-Fired Rex Ryan (Redskins hired him as DC)
-Hired Dave Toub (Special Team Coach of Bears/Chiefs)

*Ryan was a good head coach when Jets ran ground/pound offense. Since he wanted to switch to pass first offense, he has been struggling to grasp the balance of a game. While I adore him for keeping trying to turn around back with 2 different offensive coordinators since Brian Schottenheimer resigned. Wrong quarterback usually killed anyone who was in the charge of a team. The situation is getting worse as Ryan has to go. It is good for both sides as Ryan will redeem his coaching skill with other team and Jets move to another direction.

*Toub easily is one of best coaches when it comes to organizing and preparing game. He has worked with Andy Reid twice (Eagles and Chiefs) and Bears so he knows WCO, the offense our GM John Idzik has familiarized with. Toub is exactly my choice because he is not a hot shot preppie like Jay Gruden so Jets won't drive themselves into hell due to various pressure craps. Toub will bring Jets back into a team that plays right football.

Offensive Coordinator:

-Fired Marty Mornhinweg.
-Hired Gary Kubiak (Fired by Texans as HC).

*Getting Kubiak may increase an opportunity to find a viable quarterback like Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub. Also, I feel that Kubiak is a right coach for developing inexperienced quarterback like Smith, Simms or new draftee. Not to mention, Jets will switch back to ZBS which should be good for our RB corp. It is a regular ZBS, not cutting ZBS so I am sure Koub knows somebody who can handle OL for Kubiak.

Defensive Coordinator:

-Retained Dennis Thurman.

*Granted, he still is unproven game caller but he knows the defense which Jets have built via draft for few years. Not much to say but Mike Tragovac would be my first choice if he is ready to have a job far away from his daughter.

Free Agents (Major):

-Cut Mark Sanchez.
-Cut Santonio Holmes.

-Sign QB Matt Schaub (Cut by Texans).
-Sign WR Anquan Boldin.
-Sign OG Jon Asamoah.
-Re-sign OT Austin Howard.

*Sanchez and Holmes are obvious. Re-signing Howard is a must. Asamoah is a mauling ZBS G so Winters will be only one OL that is inexperienced. Boldin can be had for short term or cheaper since he is 33 years old but he is solid number 2 WR in any kind of offense. I think it is worth gambling on Schaub's rebound.

Trade:

Jets- Quinton Coples.
Falcons - 2nd Round Pick.

*How to measure the value of this trade is up to you. A former 1st round pick for 2nd round pick or 2015 first round pick for 2014 2nd round pick. The latter is for me. I could not care whether or not Falcons want Coples but 3 UT will hit free agency after this season. Since Jets are loaded at DL in both athleticism and power and Coples is not a legit pass rushing threat from OLB position, Falcons could use Coples for UT where he will thrive in well. Falcons are likely ended up as one of the worst teams in NFL so it will be high 2nd round pick (top 10).

Draft:

- I give Jets 2 compensatory selections for now because I have not been into that part yet. Not in mood to waste my time to figure it out.

1. [Traded down with Cardinals] - QB Derek Carr, Fresno State.

*Traded down with Cardinals in order to allow Cardinals to get a qb of the future in Carr. Jets also get 3rd and 5th round picks in return.

1. (Cardinals). TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech.

* Since Jets traded into a playoff section, Amaro may be likely a 2nd TE off the board with this selection. I could not care about him playing like Rob Gronkowski but he is huge with soft hands and that ought to be more than enough to cause S and LB headaches.

1. (Chiefs). OLB Trevor Reilly, Utah.

*Traded back into 1st with Chiefs. Give up 2 2nd round picks to snare a promising pass rushing OLB in Reilly.

2. (Falcons). [Traded up with Chiefs]
2. [Traded up with Chiefs]

3. CB E.J. Gaines, Missouri.

*A potential shutdown CB for 3rd is something we can't overlook. Cromartie, Walls, and Wilson may hit FA after 2014 season so it is good idea to snag a quality one here for the future plan. Gaines owned Vandy's Matthews but the defense played soft coverage later in the game. Matthews is a physical WR and Gaines just has a compact size.

3. (Cardinals). WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin.

*I like his size and hands to be an effective WCO WR opposing Boldin.

4. FS Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska.

*He has good size and speed to be either CB or FS but Jets should develop him into a full time FS for 2015. Talented prospect but not ready for NFL action.

4. (Comp). WR Devin Street, Pittsburgh.

*A potential number one WR in NFL is here. Since Paul Chryst runs WCO-like, Street should be up to date for Jets. Need to check out on his ankle.

5. OLB Marcus Smith, Louisville.

*He still is raw at pass rushing but he has good explosiveness. Offers a solid run support.

5. (Cardinals). DL Bruce Gaston, Purdue.

*Just because Jets have 3 solid starting DLs doesn't mean Jets ignore the depth. Harrison could be just a year wonder player for that matters. Gaston needs to strengthen up to handle NT role. Also, he could take over DE with Richardson moving to NT in near future. Jets have options for best results.

5. (Comp). OL Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt.

*Johnson is a brainy player. He knows where to play right. Despite a lack of athleticism, he offers good agility. Perfect for ZBS. Jets need to restock up OL since Jets discard depth players for PBS in favor of ZBS.

6. OL Bryce Quigley, San Diego State.

*Same reason as Johnson. Both are OT who likely to play inside at next level.

7. K Chris Boswell, Rice.

*One year contract annually for Folk? Forget it.

Line Up:

QB- Schaub.
RB - Powell, Ivory, Goodson. (Hottest one plays more)
FB - Bohanon.
TE - Amaro.
WR - Boldin.
WR - Street, Abbrederis. (Schematic dependent)
WR - Kerley.
LT - Ferguson.
LG - Winters, Johnson, Quigley. (Winner of trio starts)
C- Mangold.
RG - Asamoah.
RT - Howard.

LE - Wilkerson.
NT - Harrison.
RE - Richardson.
LOLB - Reilly.
LILB - Harris.
RILB - Davis.
ROLB - Davis, Smith. (Hotter plays more)
CB1 - Cromartie.
SS - Landry, Allen. (Strategic Scheme)
FS - Bush, Allen. (Strategic Scheme)
CB2 - Milliner.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that level of draft wheeling and dealing is unrealistic for anyone other than the Patriots but again, it is your dream offseason.

More than that, given how poorly Schaub has played this year with Andre Johnson and the rest of the offensive weapons in Houston, I don't want to think of how awful he'd be as a Jet. I've been a supporter of his for years given how little respect he got as a QB after leading the league in passing some years back; but his skills have clearly been diminishing for a couple of years now and I don't think he'd be anything more for the Jets than Mark Brunell was when the Jets signed him.

As far as Coples, as much as it makes me gnash my teeth, that trade makes sense. He's a good player but he'd contribute so much more to another team. Pretty much any other team.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Schaub never lost his game to mental failure until this season. Mostly to injuries. His mediocre still is an upgrade to Smith or Simms. I don't want to sign any veteran backup quarterback because it will give either Smith or Simms a fake hope to start next season. Both Ss need to be humbled by a capable starter. Cutler could be it but it is very good chance that Cutler remains starter for at least 3 years. I am sure that someone wants Cutler so he won't see any action from Smith at all but for me, I believe Jets still faith in Smith as I go with it.

2014 1st round selection will be incredible difficult for Jets because they have to pick one out of several talented prospects. I want to find a way to get at least 2 1st round picks. Maybe it will be OLB Reilly or TE Ebron in 1st Round and WR Richardson in 2nd. I don't think I can be satisfied with it.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57877

My 4 round mock. How do you feel about Jets' draft class?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Always interesting to win a meaningless game, but at least here we had the bright side of Geno playing relatively well against a really solid Cleveland defense.

At this point late in the season there's obviously a lot of chatter about whether or not Rex should be brought back, what should be done about the QB situation, etc. What are the thoughts of everyone here?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex needs to come back. 7 or 8 wins with the talent we have on offense is remarkable, in my opinion. I think we overachieved and some of that is due to the D and Rex. The players still buy into him and that's key.

I'd give Geno another year. Idzik needs to put some talent around him and then we'll be able to better access the situation after next season.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

This is only the second time I have uttered this phrase. I don't want the Jets to fire their coaching staff. I look at the Jets coaching staff and I ask myself. Of the coaches available, who are they going to get who's better?

I think Marty Mornhinweg deserves a shot with a competent staff of receiving targets. There are sixty wide receivers and 26 other players with 500+ yards so far this season. And while the Jets will have at least one before all is said and done, out of the 86 NFL players that have already accomplished this feat, none of them are on the Jets. Even the 32nd ranked passing offense (Tampa Bay) has two.

I think Geno Smith should never have started this season and I think making a final judgement on him going forward is unfair.

And I don't think anyone is going to do a better job with the defense than Rex Ryan. The only one who can come close is Wade Phillips and what are the odds the Jets are going to be able to get him.

I want Rex Ryan on the Jets sideline next season. But of course, that won't happen. I can only hope the Jets don't completely screw up the hiring process and manage to get someone who isn't Paul Hackett levels of horrible.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you. Rex is far from a perfect coach, but I think they're really going to struggle to find someone better. And he's shown that he's willing to work on his weaknesses (excessive predictions, etc). In game head coaching decisions (challenges, clock management) still need work, but I think he can get there and giving the offensive reins to Mornhinweg was a step in the right direction as well. I love that the team hasn't quit on him too. Great defensive mind, tremendous motivator, and seems capable of recognizing his weaknesses and letting go a bit which is huge.

Agreed on it being too early for Geno too, I think he's shown enough flashes that he deserves a chance next year. Bringing in a veteran to compete (someone on the Henne-ish level) would probably be good for him, and I think it would be good to have a viable backup too since that's something the team hasn't had in years. I'm not sold on him yet, but he shouldn't have been thrown into the fire this year and I like his attitude so it seems way too early to be thinking about investing a lot in a new QB.

I have been reasonably happy with most of the decisions Idzik has made thus far, and I have some faith he makes the decision to give Rex a little more time. But I'm pretty used to the franchise not making the decisions that I would make.

Regardless, a whole lot of offensive talent needs to be brought in. I'd like to see a tight end, a wide receiver and maybe a pass catching back and some linemen drafted. At least one veteran receiver signed, if not two, a veteran QB and again possibly some linemen. Then help at safety (I actually like Allen too, so one might be fine) and maybe an OLB if the opportunity presents itself - the pass defense has been rough despite the great defensive line.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I did not know that this forum is still alive.

Ryan would stay for his final season on contract. I don't think any coach will offer a better upgrade over Ryan next season at the moment.

Offense Plan:

Winters and Smith will need another season before Jets could make a significant decision.

Bringing Colon and Howard back is top priority.

Conditioning up Ivory, Powell, Nelson and Winslow to improve quickness and health.

Sign top and suitable free agent WR or draft 2 WRs before 4th round.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Also, keeping Ryan next season will be beneficial for Jets' defense. Dennis Thurman would finish 2 seasons as co-dc so he could be ready to take the defense solely under new head coach if Jets don't renew contract of Ryan after 2014 season.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So I did some poking around on a website to see where the Jets are going to be heading into next season and what they'll need to do to fill out the roster.

Right now the Jets have a little over $101.3 million committed to 41 players for next season. Filling out the remaining 10 guys (I believe the top 51 count against the cap and the min is $495k) gets us to a little under $106.3. Last year's cap was $123m, so to be conservative let's say it drops a little to $121.3m (it was $120.6m two years ago), and the Jets will have $15m in cap room before cutting anyone. Additionally, the Jets cannot have a higher selection than 9th overall (which coincidentally is what they had last year). Last year it was estimated rookies would cost a little under $7m against the 2013 cap. Figure with the Tampa pick, some comp selections, and a little inflation that jumps to conservatively $9m, but I think that's a total figure and not including the fact that adding those guys to the roster offsets those back end roster spots. So it's around an additional $4m (probably less, but I'd prefer to assume that way) and we're down to $11m in pre-cut cap space. Assume they'll leave a buffer and maybe $8m. Crazy how quickly that stuff gets cut down (though it's probably a little more than I'm assuming here, and I don't know if they're able to roll over any space from last year, though I doubt there's anything to roll over given how crappy that situation was).

The interesting thing is the roster is pretty bare with that little to spend. Now obviously they're going to have probably around 10 picks, so that helps fill things out. But help is needed in a lot of areas, particularly when you look at the roster breakdown by position (and who's left at that spot). I'm going to assume Holmes and Sanchez get cut which gets us to a clean $24.5m just for free agents, and that helps quite a bit obviously. The other potential cuts are David Harris (saves $5m) and Cromartie (saves $9.5m). Roster by position is as follows:

QB - 1 (assuming Sanchez cut)
Just Geno Smith at QB, so obviously the Jets need to bring in more there. Odds are we're looking at some kind of veteran competition and either a draft pick or Matt Simms. Not a ton of great options out there, but I think a viable backup who has started some should be brought in and we'll see if Geno can beat him out.

RB - 4
Powell, Ivory, Goodson, and Greene here. Don't think all 4 make it to the final roster, probably 2 or 3 out of this group. May not be a lot of movement which is interesting - if Goodson comes back healthy I think he and Ivory could be a good combo. Not sure they're in a spot where they'll add much to this position in the offseason despite the fact that they could use some pop.

FB - 1
Bohanan. Think that's pretty much it besides a camp body, but it should just be Bohanan on the final roster.

WR - 6 (assuming Holmes cut)
This surprised me given how big a need this is. Lots of guys are on the books for 2014, not a whole lot of talent. I'd guess Hill, Kerley, Nelson, and maybe Salas will be back. Don't see Gates and Hakim (the other two) making the final roster. Something's got to give to get upgrades at this position given the talent level. I'd guess at least a vet (Maclin?) and an early draft pick.

TE - 2
Just Pantale and Sudfeld. Again something almost certainly has to be added here, I'd guess a vet (maybe bring back Cumberland or Winslow, maybe a Kellen Davis type as a backup) and a draft pick on the first two days who will be a starter if not as a rookie then down the road.

T - 3
Brick, Ijalana, and Aboushi. Hopefully Oday develops but he's not off to a great start, Ijalana I'm a fan of as a 'Nova guy but can't be trusted to stay healthy. Definitely need to bring in a starting RT, maybe a vet swing tackle too in case of injury. Ideally Howard comes back on a reasonable deal, not perfect but good enough and continuity on the line is huge. Could draft someone late but I think Oday and Ben are their developmental/backup guys.

G - 3
Winters, Schlauderaff, and Campbell. Need something here as Schlauderaff is a backup, Campbell is too raw to be relied upon, and Winters has struggled as a rookie. Hopefully Winters and Campbell improve, but I'd say at least one vet should be brought in to replace Colon (or Colon coming back). Not keen on spending a draft pick to start a rookie guard along with Winters.

C - 1
Mangold is awesome, I still think they should develop a viable backup because the offensive line looks awful when he goes down. Nothing major to happen here though.

DL - 4
Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Ellis. Great group, just need a 5th rotation guy (and I'd be fine with Douzable coming back) and good to go, not a priority FA position though. Could draft someone late, this group is so young there's not really a need though. Vet probably the better option.

OLB - 3
Coples (could be a DL but he plays enough OLB I threw him here), Barnes, and Troy Davis. Need something here with Barnes not an every down guy and Davis inexperienced/probably not a starter anyway. Ideally a FA, could be a draft pick I guess but I'd prefer the early ones are spent on offense. Wouldn't mind a late round flier for depth here.

ILB - 2 (assuming Harris is not cut)
Just Harris and Davis. I wouldn't be shocked if Harris is cut or at the very least restructured. Depth is needed here regardless, probably a FA (or a re-signing) and a late draft pick.

CB - 3 (assuming Cromartie is not cut)
This one surprised me a bit. Only Cro, Milliner, and Wilson. Obviously depth is needed here, would be good to bring back some of the guys for continuity. I'd guess this gets hit in the mid rounds too.

S - 4
Landry, Allen, Bush, and Jarrett. Wouldn't mind drafting a guy day 2 or early day 3 or signing a FA to get an upgrade. Cutting Landry would save around $1.5m ($1m if you assume he's automatically getting replaced by a min salary guy). Something could easily happen here since the secondary needs upgrades (though hopefully a lot of that happens in the form of Milliner maturing).

Specials - 2
Quigley and Purdum are on for next year, don't see any real reason not to keep them though I'm sure they'll get competition. Hope they bring back Folk obviously.

One thing that does stick out is if Ryan gets fired and they have to move to a 4-3, the front 7 looks like a mess. There's 3 stud DL's (Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison) and another solid one (Ellis) who are all probably interior guys in an even front. Maybe a jumbo line of Wilkerson-Richardson-Harrison-Coples works, but while it's tough to block physically I think it lacks a level of quickness/athleticism you want in a 4 man line even if those guys are freaks for their size. And then at LB it's literally just Harris and Davis. Team is just much more built for a 3 man front IMO.

Regardless, the offseason will be really interesting.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great post, Derza.

And great point about the defensive line if Rex is fired. If he gets fired, they have to bring in a HC/DC that'll run an odd man front. There's too much talent there to screw around with it.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

If Jets hired Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier as HC and DC then DL should be the least concern. From L-R: Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson and either Tuck, Allen or Hardy. For RE, it all depends on price and length of a contract. Since Harrison is UDFA so any return will be good value.

LB corp, on other hand, is a big concern. Harris could man inside with Davis covering weakside if the roster is kept. I don't see any good out this group.

Now, it is irrelevant because Ryan is back next season unless, of course, it is a false report.

Now, I can see Holmes take a pay cut to compete for a spot because if he is cut after June 1st then his charge would be extra by a small amounts, comparing to Sanchez (4.8m pre June 1st vs. about 6m post June 1st) for 2014.

Problem with qb back up role for money. Dumping Sanchez saves 8.3m but Jets would need to fork over 2-3m to get a veteran qb. The total of cap saving will be about 5-6.3m. That is small. Bringing Garrard back for a veteran minimum is only the way and I don't like it.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
If Jets hired Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier as HC and DC then DL should be the least concern. From L-R: Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson and either Tuck, Allen or Hardy. For RE, it all depends on price and length of a contract. Since Harrison is UDFA so any return will be good value.
Harrison is not a UDFA, he's an ERFA.

Quote:
Now, I can see Holmes take a pay cut to compete for a spot because if he is cut after June 1st then his charge would be extra by a small amounts, comparing to Sanchez (4.8m pre June 1st vs. about 6m post June 1st) for 2014.
Sanchez would be 6.8m pre June 1st because of the March roster bonus. Given the steep downward slide Holmes has been on since he came to the Jets, I don't want him on the roster at any amount.

Quote:
Problem with qb back up role for money. Dumping Sanchez saves 8.3m but Jets would need to fork over 2-3m to get a veteran qb. The total of cap saving will be about 5-6.3m. That is small. Bringing Garrard back for a veteran minimum is only the way and I don't like it.
It's 5-6.3 million the Jets can use to sign other players. Any vet backup the Jets would bring in for that amount of money would be at the very least a depth upgrade plus would still provide the additional 5-6 million. What's not to like?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I mean Harrison is a UDFA player. If you trade him for 5th round pick then you get better net value.

By Pre-June 1st, I mean a cutting will occur before the day a player picking up bonus. I believe new cycle will begin before that so Jets can cut him without any problem.

Holmes situation is purely up to FO. I merely go with what is the best suggestion if he stays with Jets. I have no qualms dumping him either but when it comes a financial strategy against roster movement Holmes is more friendly than Sanchez.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
I mean Harrison is a UDFA player. If you trade him for 5th round pick then you get better net value.

If the Jets value a 5th round pick ahead of an effective starting defensive linemen, then they need to re-evaluate their priorities.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
If the Jets value a 5th round pick ahead of an effective starting defensive linemen, then they need to re-evaluate their priorities.

A lot of NT almost values nothing due to weight issue and body taxation.

Wilkerson - 1st
Richardson - 1st
Ellis - 3rd
Harrison - UDFA

For 5th round pick in return, which DT offers the best? Harrison is the obviously choice.

Now, Harrison has traits of work ethic and keeping body weight checked to bring something on the table so that means Jets could try to make a trade to ship him off for 3rd round pick at best and 5th round pick at worst.

Harrison only offers what he has done as a first time starter under Rex Ryan and there is no evidence that he can do any kind of schematic another team runs. He could be a reserve DT for Frazier since he has no power to handle contract negotiation.

Unlike you, I won't cry a river about losing him for a measly 5th round pick if it happened.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

damn. Brett Smith could be a 2nd round prospect already. ugh! I like him for a late round-UDFA. He could be the next snake.

I want two quarterbacks on the roster next season, meaning 3rd quarterback will be on the squad. Brock Jensen out of North Dakota State, perhaps. umm!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
A lot of NT almost values nothing due to weight issue and body taxation.

Wilkerson - 1st
Richardson - 1st
Ellis - 3rd
Harrison - UDFA

For 5th round pick in return, which DT offers the best? Harrison is the obviously choice.

Now, Harrison has traits of work ethic and keeping body weight checked to bring something on the table so that means Jets could try to make a trade to ship him off for 3rd round pick at best and 5th round pick at worst.

Harrison only offers what he has done as a first time starter under Rex Ryan and there is no evidence that he can do any kind of schematic another team runs. He could be a reserve DT for Frazier since he has no power to handle contract negotiation.

Unlike you, I won't cry a river about losing him for a measly 5th round pick if it happened.

For a measley 5th round pick, who offers the best value? Kenrick Ellis, because he is the worst least good defensive lineman among them. The picks used to draft them are sunk costs. Keeping Ellis ahead of Harrison when Harrison is the better player just because one was a third round pick and one wasn't drafted would be rather foolish. Especially since Ellis is entering his contract year and will be a UFA afterward; whereas Harrison is an ERFA and is locked in with the Jets for at least another two years.

The weight argument, while something I disagree with (see Washington, Ted; Williams, Jamal; Rogers, Shaun) becomes irrelevant when you consider that Ellis is listed at 346.

But really, I doubt I would trade any of them unless I figured I could not retain them. A 5th round pick isn't worth a heck of a lot to me.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, you move Ellis over Harrison without thinking twice, and there's no need to move any of them. Why move a cheap, good, team controlled player for a cheap question mark?

Making the 5th round pick less valuable is the fact that the Jets are likely going to get 4 compensatory picks this year and would be looking at 12 selections in that case. Estimate I saw was a 4th, a 5th, and two 7ths (plus a 3 or a 4 from Tampa) which would be quite welcome for a team that could use some good young depth.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Harrison did not win the job by beating out Ellis. Harrison, Richardson and Wilkerson practiced and clicked together throughout the preseason so Ryan keeps that way. Ellis could be more forceful NT if he played majority of season.

That is a theory for Ryan's scheme.

Now back to 4-3 base, Harrison is not a better player than Ellis because he is not going to be able to play UT in place of Richardson due to lack of penetrating skill and foot quickness. Ellis has those ability among to his mammoth size to handle either interior tackle spots. Right there, Ellis is ahead of Harrison.

Since switching to 4-3 would make front 7 weaker due to depleted LB corp you can find LB to handle either MLB or SLB in 5th round. That is value to restore the front 7.

Keeping Harrison and trading Ellis away will force Jets to find UT in 3rd round instead of upgrading WR, OL or DB. Ellis on the roster will require no rush to bolster DT depth as they have Tim Barnes at NG by a default.

Trading Harrison is more beneficial to Jets' new plan. Maybe sending him to a team where Rex Ryan is in charge of at least defense for 3rd round pick is a good start.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

For 4-3 defense, I want nobody else than Mike Zimmer, Mike Trgoav or Leslie Frazier.