Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is good chance that Jets will visit Titans and welcome Steelers at home next season.

126-117 with Steelers

Home: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Denver, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh

Away: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Kansas City, San Diego, Green Bay, Minnesota, Tennessee.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 12-29-2013 at 03:56 PM.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Elaborate hypothetical there based on what could happen if Ryan is fired and the defense moves to a 4-3, but looks like he's staying so that's irrelevant.

Nice to finish the season on a positive note. Should be a really interesting offseason, and I'm glad there will be some continuity with the coaching staff. Saw there are some FA's among the assistants, really hope they can hang on to Karl Dunbar.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Elaborate hypothetical there based on what could happen if Ryan is fired and the defense moves to a 4-3, but looks like he's staying so that's irrelevant.

Nice to finish the season on a positive note. Should be a really interesting offseason, and I'm glad there will be some continuity with the coaching staff. Saw there are some FA's among the assistants, really hope they can hang on to Karl Dunbar.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...rt_claims.html
Old 12-29-2013, 06:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
I see info about a potential change in staff, nothing about a change in scheme.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I see info about a potential change in staff, nothing about a change in scheme.
So Idzik doesn't plan to bring them back? Thurman may be the last coach that knows Ryan's scheme. We won't have to worry about defense once Jets sign Thurman back as DC. Hiring a stranger to handle defense will make Ryan work more than usual. That will take away from a time of game management.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

TE-

I think Jets are sitting at right spot for TE Eric Ebron. However, he is too athletic to be doing a blocking assignment and what if Smith and Ebron don't click together as Ebron does share some simple dropsies. Ebron can be a waste of pick in the 1st round.

Should Jets go ahead and gamble on Ebron's service as Best Offensive Player Available?

I probably pass on Ebron for either Richard Rodgers, Ted Bolser, or Crockett Gillmore for better value. I will keep eyes on Allen Robinson (if forgo) and Jordan Matthews for acceptable speed so Jets could take a WR instead of Ebron in the first round.

Or Jets should use the same group of TE for one more season.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

WR-

There are always dozen of savvy WR prospects but not every WR can contribute right away. I like Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews the best. Sammy Watkins is next.

Unless Mike Evans shows some speed at the combine, I think I rather to have David Nelson. Evans may be a better WR than Nelson but for number 2 spot, we should not bother to use 1st round WR to upgrade Nelson.

Nelson and Kerley earn Smith's confidence but neither is number one WR so Jets need to find a WR that is much different from Nelson and Kerley. That is why Robinson, Matthews or Watkins are better choice than Evans.

If Jets decide to go defense again then Jared Abbrederis is our last hope in 2nd round. Jeff Janis, Ryan Grant, Josh Huff or Eric Ward could be a solid pick. Last two WRs would force Kerley to play on outside. Good Idea? I am not sure. Just please don't be stupid and take one of aforementioned first 2 round WRs.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any thoughts on possibly drafting Jace Amaro or Austin Seferian-Jenkins?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The tight end position is going to be an interesting one this offseason. I think they basically have to sign a guy they're comfortable with holding the fort, and then draft someone at some point. Would be too risky to assume they're going to get someone to start in the draft and could force them to reach. I'd like to see Cumberland back but wouldn't mind Winslow or a Kellen Davis type as more of a blocker. Think next year's group should be vet/rookie/Sudfeld, and Sudfeld's size/upside gives some flexibility as to what to do with the draft pick if they miss on a guy early. Maybe draft more of a blocker, or a less conventional TE like Gator Hoskins who can make an impact in the passing game as a move guy.

As for Amaro/ASJ, I think Amaro's going to be a first round pick if he declares (I thought I read he was leaning towards not declaring) and ASJ will likely land in the second. When I watched Amaro early in the year he looked like a jumbo slot receiver, not really a classic in line TE. As far as ASJ goes, I need to watch more of him but he had a down year, has some off the field stuff (a DUI), and though he's generally talented he's not a physical freak either which is why I think he lands in the second.

What I can't get a handle on is what kind of TE they want in this offense. I think last year Travis Kelce was a guy there were a lot of rumors the Jets liked as more of a classic in line guy who was a really good blocker but could move well for his size and could catch passes. That kind of fits what Mornhinweg had in Philly in the past, but I don't know if that was more his preference or Reid.

If that's what the Jets are looking for, I think the options become a bit limited. Amaro could be that guy down the road, but certainly needs work as a blocker and I'd imagine if you take a guy that early you want him starting. I think ASJ could be that guy early on (though I need to focus on his blocking a little more, supposedly he's improved a lot), but I'd guess he goes earlier in the second than where they pick and they don't move up. Think he's a good option if he's there in the second though. Ebron I liked as a blocker, though I've seen people kind of question him there. I thought he was really tough and did a good job, lack of ideal bulk but maybe playing DE some earlier in his career helped him there. He seemed pretty good to me. Between that and his athleticism, I think he's the top option after some high level looks at all of them.

After all of that, ultimately the offense needs a guy defenses NEED to account for. It's been a while since the Jets had that in an every down guy, maybe Holmes his one good year here or Edwards, but I'm not really sure I think they just complemented each other well. And I think Mornhinweg is the kind of OC who can adapt to his talent, so if they think Amaro is the best weapon of the TE's I think it's pretty easy to justify going that route instead of taking a guy who's a better blocker.

I'm hoping they go WR/TE in some order in the first two rounds, unless they go WR in the first and the TE value isn't there in the second. The passing game needs some life.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Also we need eyes on LSU WRs. Mettenberger possesses a powerful arm strength so WRs could handle Smith's tight spiral football.

Amaro is an oversize joker which is out of question for MM. Unfortunately, his hands are softer than Cumberland who showed some improvement in blocking assignment.

I will need to watch Jenkins' game speed alone and 40 time dash. I don't want to spend too high on a just blocker. He is a solid red zone target but play scheme will make any TE useful anyway.

Jets could get Jenkins in 2nd if they get WR in the 1st round. Skip Jenkins if Jets get non WR in 1st round.

If Howard is not coming back then taking OT like Hurst, Richardson or Collin in 2nd round is not a bad idea.

Jenkins is falling into a "wait and see" music, I suppose.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Bucs clean up the house once again. Revis situation?

I am all for either one

1- Bucs retain Revis so Jets get 3rd round pick.
2- Re-sign Revis and cut Cromartie.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bucs clean up the house once again. Revis situation?

I am all for either one

1- Bucs retain Revis so Jets get 3rd round pick.
2- Re-sign Revis and cut Cromartie.

That would be a tough one for me to ponder. Cromartie had a down year, but I really think it was because he was playing with a hip injury and I do think he will be able to bounce back next year.

But on the other hand..... Revis. While he was a Jet, he was the best cornerback in the league, shut down pro bowl receiver after pro bowl receiver after pro bowl receiver and best of all, he was entertaining to watch. Like a master artisan of cornerbacking.

The Jets clearly can't keep both when Milliner was looking like he was finally catching on the last two to three games. Thinking about that, I think I was expecting too much from him early on. He was after all a rookie.

Last edited by Crickett : 12-30-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Speaking of the LSU WR's, I was really impressed by Odell Beckham Jr. when I watched him. Explosive, seemed to separate easily, caught the ball away from his body, able to go up and get it too. Think he'd be a great fit, would be thrilled with him in the second if he declares and they don't go WR in the first.

Brandin Cooks is another likely day 2 guy I'd like to watch more of.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

If Dennis Thurman is out then I am pretty sure Idzik will want an experienced DC.

John Marshall? He fits Ryan's style of aggressive and strength but he was terrible at points allowed. It probably was because of misfit players Al Davis drooled over for just athleticism. 3 years managing UFL team now. He is a freaking old man. Scratch.

Mel Tucker? He is a failure when he ran 4-3 formation but he looked good when he handled 3-4 for Romeo Crennel. Not sure if it was Crennel that called game but he is all about discipline and tapping on talents well. Tired of stupid penalty? Hire him once Bears dump him.

Pepper Johnson and Ken Norton Jr. are inexperienced ones. That sucks.

That's all I have known of so far. Pathetic.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Speaking of the LSU WR's, I was really impressed by Odell Beckham Jr. when I watched him. Explosive, seemed to separate easily, caught the ball away from his body, able to go up and get it too. Think he'd be a great fit, would be thrilled with him in the second if he declares and they don't go WR in the first.

Brandin Cooks is another likely day 2 guy I'd like to watch more of.

Right there will get him into 1st round. I think.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Right there will get him into 1st round. I think.
Maybe, and I'm not sure I'd be disappointed with the Jets taking him in the first frankly with them as far back as 18. There's a whole lot of potential first round guys right now though. If QB's go early that'll continue to push WR's back, and a bunch of guys have more hype (though I don't necessarily like them more). In this draft with the depth he'll need to measure and run well to land in the first despite his year of good tape. Not sure coming in sub 6' and running in the mid 4.4's gets him there without multiple years of huge numbers in a small class. I think there's some injury questions too, but I thought he looked really, really good when I watched him.

That's an interesting position. Guys like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are probably good fits for Geno Smith, but maybe not great fits for Marty Mornhinweg's scheme. I liked Evans significantly more than Benjamin at a first look, though. But to me the Beckham Jr. types are the ones who really fit what I envision a WR in Mornhinweg's scheme looking like.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets extend Ryan's contract thru 2015.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Kris Richards or Teryl Austin to replace Dennis Thurman? What a joke!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:15 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be willing to bet that Cro comes back on a reasonable deal. He lives in my town, and according to friends with younger siblings, his family is really putting roots down here. Of course that is all speculation, but I also remember hearing stuff about him talking up being a Jet this season.

I would feel very comfortable with our secondary moving forward if they bring in another corner and a starting caliber safety in either free agency or the draft.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

If Cromartie wants to stay then take a pay cut. Simple.

If Jets cut Cromartie in order to invest in James Jones then I am all for it. Otherwise Jets are prematurely stupid.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Never mind what Jets FO said about being committed to Smith or not, Cutler contract is ridiculous enough to make me ponder about qb options.

I don't want to hire a grandpa to back up Smith. I want someone who can start in place of Smith if Smith does not get better. Matt Flynn, Matt Schaub and Josh McCown fit that description.

111 Schaub is likely to be cut despite who is Texans' new head coach as he becomes a cap casualty. 2 problems on him is his arm strength and heavily relying on run game. Jets finished the first season under MM and passing and rushing attempts are even. Neither side is impressive (Minus Smith).

Goodson or Smith can take few wild cat snaps in place of Schaub to match 2012. However, it will become predictable so there is no guarantee.

222 McCown is a cerebral quarterback who has played or practiced many schematics in his NFL career. WCO was the most recent offense he performed in actual games. He can be an efficient game manager or outstanding mentor to Smith. Reducing turnovers may provide some good moody spirit out of offense if McCown repeats last year's performance.

333. Flynn is a slow start player. That is why he has not found a home. Be patient with him and he will get loose before a long hot streak begins.

Trade Scenarios:

111 Sending Kenrick Ellis to Saints for 5th round pick and QB Ryan Griffin. Griffin has been practiced Coryell spread for at least 3 years so he shouldn't have no problem to pick up WCO and get ahead of Smith in a heartbeat.

222 Hell with it and make a trade up to number one pick to get Teddy Bridgewater. To make it work, Jets will need to re-sign Howard and sign WR James Jones and RG Jon Asamoah.

Those are my best or craziest ones and I don't see any of them could be done. It would be much better if Jets successfully signed Peyton Manning.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Scratch the trade with Saints. I forget they have John Jenkins.

About Nick Foles, I was disappointed that Jets did not draft him. I love how tight spiral he makes to go with good distance. Geno Smith has it so he better plays well next year.

2011- Dalton and Kaepernick went 2nd round.
2012- Wilson and Foles went 3rd round
2013- Smith (2nd) and Glennon (3rd).

Those could be best non 1st round quarterbacks since 2011. Before that, Matt Schaub was the last non 1st round qb to be successful and he went 3rd round in 2004. Wow, it has been awhile.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Wow, hamstring issue is no excuse for Idzik. I am half-surprised by Idzik's decision on Cromartie. I thought Idzik would re-work the contract but no.

edit: he is having knee operation. No wonder.

I guess Colon won't be back as well?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I've been thinking draft and offseason, want to throw out a few different thoughts.

In FA I'd imagine Idzik brings in a bunch of guys to fill (at least to an extent) pretty much every need. It's a question of how much investment various positions get and where they go external.

Veteran QB will be interesting, obviously will be someone from a different team. I wonder if a guy like Vick gets consideration given he knows the offense. It's not like there are a ton of options or the Jets are a great situation. Henne, McCown, and maybe Shaun Hill make sense. It's going to be a tough one to pin down.

Wide receiver I think a vet pretty much needs to be signed and it has to be someone from a different team. My favorite is Maclin on a short-term deal. Otherwise I like Tate for the right money and I could deal with Sanders. A guy like Decker I think is quite good but will get overpaid.

Tight end I wouldn't mind just re-signing Cumberland, I think he's solid enough. A guy like Pettigrew probably fits if they go with a guy from a different team.

I hope they bring back Howard as the right tackle, there's not much else out there. I think if they lose him it becomes something that they draft. The guard market is pretty underwhelming as well, I wouldn't mind them bringing back Colon and having him compete with Campbell. But a comparable vet would be fine.

I think outside linebacker could go either way. Re-signing Pace and drafting someone at some point makes sense and seems like a solid, conservative move. But they've got the money to go after a guy like Orakpo too, and that might not be a terrible idea.

Corner, if Cro's willing to take a pay cut to stay and they can bring back a couple of the back end guys and draft one or two players I think that would be good. There's some good corners on the market if Cro isn't brought back, but I think overpaying is a panic move. Would be nice to see the FA trust their evaluation on Milliner, look at his improvement in the last two games, and realize they pretty much need a #2 (which Cro should be able to be) and depth going forward. They should be able to find someone solid and reasonable to fill that role.

Safety is interesting because it's been so bad over the years. Plus the Jets have money to burn, and can go after Jarius Byrd and hurt a divisional rival if they grab him. I think this is where I'd make my FA splash. Byrd's a Pro Bowl guy, should be able to help create turnovers which was a big weakness this season, and be a leader in the secondary. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix won't be there at 18, and I'm not sure a second or third round guy in this class is a big upgrade. If they don't make the big move, I think they probably just bring back Reed and basically just stand back. If they do bring in Byrd I think Landry/Allen and maybe a rookie and Jarrett compete for the spot next to him.

I think Folk comes back and Wilkerson/Snacks should get extensions this offseason, which will eat into cap space. But I don't think they should go wild at other spots, FA wise I think it should be some treading water, maybe an upgrade at veteran WR and safety and then taking care of their own. Leaves a lot of flexibility coming into the draft and provides some continuity at key spots.

I'd feel pretty good about the team heading into next season knowing I had a full offseason for Geno and a veteran behind him, a more steady starting wideout than Holmes, continuity on what was a solid offensive line with maybe Colon getting flipped out but Winters with a year of experience under his belt, a playmaker at safety, the team's cornerstone on the defensive line locked up, and 12 draft picks. And I think they've got the money to do that. Plus it doesn't really hurt the financial flexibility moving forward all that much (particularly if they do Maclin on a short-term deal).

Then a few random draft thoughts:

I still don't think TE is all that valued, think they pass in the first. Maybe ASJ in the second. If not, somebody like Fiedorowicz in the third would make sense. I think Richard Rodgers could fit too, and while he's not an ideal scheme fit I still like Gator Hoskins.

There's so much WR value in the second/early third, I think they make that move with one of those two picks. There are circumstances where I could see them going with a guy in the first: they think Evans is an offensive centerpiece and his skill set fits will with Geno despite his lack of scheme fit as not really a crisp route/YAC guy and Mornhinweg says he'll find a way to use him (I don't think this is likely), they think an under the radar guy like Paul Richardson (or even Brandin Cooks) fits really well and would add an element to the team as an explosive guy a-la D-Jax in Philly, or they like Marqise Lee's sophomore tape and chalk up his issues this year to bad health/QB play and think he's a really solid selection at 18. There's just so many guys who will be there at the Jets' second or maybe Tampa's third - Beckham, Cooks, Robinson, Matthews, Richardson, Moncrief, Adams, Coleman, Benjamin, Landry. I don't think they'll all be there, they'll all be good values come draft day, or they're all good fits, but I'd be willing to bet someone fits into all three of those buckets come May.

So, what I've been kicking around is what direction they'll go in come round 1, trying to match up value and need and assuming that WR and TE aren't the positions. I still think Geno gets another year and the value won't be there anyway. No RB's. Can't see them going into the draft with a huge hole on the offensive line. So that leaves defense, which I can't see people being happy about. Defensive line is set. Inside linebacker seems like a bad value since it's not that critical in the 3-4 and not a need unless Harris is dropped. Safety I think Ha Ha is gone, and he's the only value. Corner I can't see them going in needing a starter again, but tough to rule out. But that kind of leads me to OLB, which would make sense if they fill a lot of needs heading into the draft via FA. Depending on Barnes' health the guy could either fill or help chip in on the third down role, and eventually take over for a hold the fort guy like Pace. Somebody like Khalil Mack would be great but seems like a pipe dream, but there's a chunk of other potential fits. Vic Beasley is somewhat reminiscent of Bruce Irvin who the Jets supposedly really liked a few years back, and who Idzik's Seahawks actually ended up drafting. Could fall that far with three pass rushers ahead of him in the draft and might make sense. And you know there's going to be some risers - Marcus Smith recently started getting some hype on this site, Trent Murphy seems like a type of player Rex would really like. Might make a lot of sense as the kind of pick that will drive fans nuts but could work out - similar to the Milliner and Richardson picks.

Other little draft thoughts, I think drafting a QB makes sense. Some guys are bound to slip some but could be long-term backup options and maybe compete for the starting job. Think somebody who can make some plays with his legs and move around in the pocket makes sense to get similar skills from the backup to what the current starter (Geno) has, plus fit what Mornhinweg likes to do. Brett Smith out of Wyoming has been getting some hype recently and seems to fit that mold. Might go high, might slip some. But what about a guy like Tajh Boyd? Might not go until the late 4th like we saw guys like Tyler Wilson and Nassib go last year, but at that point he's a good value and seems to have a skill set along the lines of what Mornhinweg looks for in a QB. Visually he's somewhat reminiscent of McNabb in terms of build and the way he moves. Seems like that might be a solid move.

Finally a running back who can catch passes and return some would probably be welcome. What about a PAC-12 guy like Marion Grice or De'Anthony Thomas? Grice looks to have really natural hands and returned kicks for ASU, I don't think he's an ideal fit since he's not particularly explosive and doesn't have that much wiggle, but they could do worse. Thomas could be a sexy pick that helps make up for a boring start to the draft in the third or fourth round though. Adds a return specialist (which they need), a guy who could fit in really well in Mornhinweg's screen game and on running plays in space, maybe fit as a third down back, play some as a slot receiver, and just overall add some desperately needed explosiveness to the team at a good value if he's there in the third or fourth round after his somewhat underwhelming season.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I was wondering about WR situation. Why should Jets pay a lot of money to revamp WR corp if they said that Geno Smith is not a lock for 2014?

Decker and Jones may not want to play for Jets due to QB and coaching stability situations. Maclin may be since he knows MM but he will ask for big money.