Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Interesting, it appears the the Jets are the "Mystery Team" that has made a "substantial offer" for Vontae. Word is that Rex prefers big, man-cover corners. I don't know enough about Vontae to give any real thoughts of how much he makes us better than having Cromartie. (If this does go through).

Thoughts?
I heard this too. Very saddening, unless it's for significantly cheaper than whatever Verner is getting. Then again, I wonder if either is really worth 10 mil a year, Vontae certainly isn't. Extremely mediocre and he'll give up just as many big plays as Cro (well, maybe not as much as he did this last year). He is young though and I guess that's nice to have that kind of guy locked up for so long in his prime to be an average presence back there. That being said...

If Revis is released and there's no bad blood, I would very willingly pay twice as much for Revis. If he actually stayed healthy and didn't feel the need to re-up for another contract after a final one here, we might have a SB caliber defense with his addition alone.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Crickett, if you wanted WR updates... word is we're putting a lot of interest into James Jones.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too much bad blood between Revis and Woody.

Davis isn't a bad player. He might even be better than Verner.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Too much bad blood between Revis and Woody.

Davis isn't a bad player. He might even be better than Verner.
I think Davis' style of play suits the defense better. Not sure he'll live up to the contract that he'll get, though.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
If Revis is released and there's no bad blood, I would very willingly pay twice as much for Revis. If he actually stayed healthy and didn't feel the need to re-up for another contract after a final one here, we might have a SB caliber defense with his addition alone.

Glad you said it first! Couldn't help but think of a Revis return with the latest news. They wouldn't pay him the first time though, so double Vontae would not be realistic. But..... if they were considering $$$ Verner has been rumored to get, $10 million +, I wonder what the money would have to be to get Revis back in the jersey he belongs in.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Glad you said it first! Couldn't help but think of a Revis return with the latest news. They wouldn't pay him the first time though, so double Vontae would not be realistic. But..... if they were considering $$$ Verner has been rumored to get, $10 million +, I wonder what the money would have to be to get Revis back in the jersey he belongs in.
I guess my perception of what Vontae should get is much lower than he will get. I mean, when it doesn't have to do with money or character concerns, a "top-flight" CB headed to his 3rd team at 25 can't possibly equate in anyone's head to a stud player. Doesn't anyone remember him in Miami? Extremely mediocre and he's a moron. This is the guy that just said, after the Colts beat the Broncos, the Colts prepared all week... for Tom Brady. C'monnnnn.

And word has it that what we originally offered Revis, around 12 mil a year, is probably what he's going to command on the open market.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well with 2 4th round picks now(Maybe 3 if we get a comp pick that round), we surely have to take Dri Archer with one of those picks....right. :(
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Screw it, give him the contract the Buccaneers gave him. 16 million a year, no money guaranteed. Given how much cap room the Jets have and how much 'pretty good' corners seem to be costing, it's worth it. The Jets would be spending the cap room they have to spend and they'd be immediately and significantly upgrade the defense.

BRING BACK REVIS ISLAND!!!!!
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for bringing back Revis. I'd be hesitant at 16 million per year, but at 12 a year, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I'm all for bringing back Revis. I'd be hesitant at 16 million per year, but at 12 a year, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

If someone like Vontae Davis or Alterraun Verner is going to cost $10 million a year with who knows how much guaranteed money, then Revis is certainly worth $16 million without any guaranteed money. And as gpngc likes to mention, the Jets have to spend the money on someone. If the Jets are going to overpay, they should at least overpay for someone who's really worth the money. Even better if there is no cap hit for releasing the player later.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
If someone like Vontae Davis or Alterraun Verner is going to cost $10 million a year with who knows how much guaranteed money, then Revis is certainly worth $16 million without any guaranteed money. And as gpngc likes to mention, the Jets have to spend the money on someone. If the Jets are going to overpay, they should at least overpay for someone who's really worth the money. Even better if there is no cap hit for releasing the player later.
Yeah, I see your point and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just don't think Revis is going to sign another contract without guaranteed money. 16 million a year without any guaranteed money is fine. If there is going to be guaranteed money, I'd be more comfortable in that 12 to 14 range.

But yeah, if Verner and Davis are going to get 10 million, I guess Revis is still worth 16.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love it if they brought Revis back, but I think there's too much animosity on both sides for it to ever happen. As long as it's not the Pats I'll be happy enough. I wonder if his impending release slows down the CB market at all.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I would love it if they brought Revis back, but I think there's too much animosity on both sides for it to ever happen. As long as it's not the Pats I'll be happy enough. I wonder if his impending release slows down the CB market at all.

If Revis is released, I think this has a serious chance of happening. "Revis Island" meant something in NY. He was a top corner at less than 100% in TB and barely had a spotlight in the media. I think, if released, Revis would take less to come back to the Jets. Simply because of the lifestyle and exposure he enjoyed in NY. On top of that, it doesn't get much better than Revis when it comes to replacing Cro!

Verner just signed with TB.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Revis and Woody HATE each other. Like HATE. It's just not happening.

Listen, this day has sucked, but there's still hope. But they have way less options than they did previously. Would Kerry Rhodes come back lol?

+ Sign Clemons to play FS
+ Sign a WR
+ Sign a RB
+ Sign a QB
+ Sign an OL
+ Sign Ware

Boom. Great FA.

ugh.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Revis and Woody HATE each other. Like HATE. It's just not happening.

Listen, this day has sucked, but there's still hope.
At this point I'm looking at the Jets, and I see a team that could be wound up and shut down in 2016 if Woody really wanted to. Like just shut the team down, pay out something like 30 million in remaining salaries after Ferguson and Mangold were cut and leave the Giants as the sole New York team.

The Jets are required to spend 25 million. It's pretty clear they're going to shift a lot of money to next year. But who the heck is left in free agency who's even worth that much? Maybe they're going to sign Decker and Sanders and Jones? Although that would preclude drafting a wide receiver, which would be awful. I see the contracts some of the safeties got, that Verner got and I wonder why the heck the Jets didn't sign ANYBODY from free agency.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Was about to type "slow" signing day for Jet fans, but "non-existant" is more fitting. We did re-sign Folk, however ..........

Seems that every player the Jets have been linked to, aside for WR's, has signed somewhere today. And apparently, Vick doesn't like the opportunity that the Jets have to offer, so that might not happen either. Wish we had some kind of signing to critique or feel good about.

Byrd, just moments ago to the Saints. That sux!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I don't think animosity will have much to do with it. The animosity was directed at the GM, a guy who doesn't really matter in a players life. By all accounts he has a good relationship with Ryan and having a good relationship with a coach is so much more important. I think the whole thing will come down to money, as is usually the case in these situations. The way I could see it happening is if no one is willing to offer him crazy money and may only offer a contract that is only a bit higher than what the other free agent corners get. However, when a guy like Vontae Davis got a shade under 10 million what does that say for Revis' value?

Overall, I could see it happening for a few reasons. List time Mofos
1. Revis, like most top athletes, is an egomaniac. He has spent all year hearing Richard Sherman being called the best corner in football, which can't sit well with him. Rex's scheme really seemed to maximize his skills. That combined with the crazy D-line would put him in a great position to reassert himself as the best.
2. Barring some wildly stupid thinking, the Jets need a number one corner. I suppose they could try to bring back Cromartie at a lower price and just hope that he can have another random great year or they hope milliner will become great in year two. However, if they intend to get a free agent cb, they may just decide to bring back a guy they know works for them.
3. They have tons of cap room and unless they decide to go for a second tier kinda guy, they are gonna pay an exorbitant amount. If everyone is overvalued, Revis' demands may not be so out of the ballpark. It all comes down to if another team goes crazy.

Overall, I don't think anyone has enough experience with Idzik to even really speculate about what he will do. Last off-season was a completely different scenario with the mountain of cap room, impending spending basement, status of the team overall, etc.

I personally wouldn't mind it if it wasn't the long a contract. They don't have big contracts on the books for any real length beside Ferguson and Mangold and those aren't even that big. Additionaly they don't need to pay too many people that soon beyond Wilkerson. I still am not a huge fan because of his hold out ******** but Id love to have him back.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

They've really been strangely quiet for a team with nearly $50 million in cap space. I don't know if there's really a way to spend that $50 million, particularly without severely overpaying for some guys. Maybe there's a potential trade behind the scenes or Woody doesn't dislike Revis as much as I think.

They could have signed the highest paid tackle, guard, defensive end, and corner to hit the market today and still had around $15 million in cap space. Not that I would have wanted them to, just making the point that there was money to spend. I'm concerned they're going to end up spending too much on tier 2 guys just to meet their minimum spending.

Also Josh, I was really talking about Woody Johnson and Revis. I get the arguments for it to happen, they make sense to me, and I would absolutely love it (at least until he holds out again), but I refuse to get my hopes up.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh man. I had a huge post and then for some reason everything reset. Bah. Well let's see...

Revis camp says they would "love" to come back to the Jets, and sources with the Jets say they would love to have him, so it would just be up to Woody/Idzik. I guess no point speculating until he's cut and starts taking flights though.

Glad we didn't overpay on overrated players yet. Pretty much all the good targets are still available, except for some of the OL guys. But then again, we should just be drafting better to get talent there, and the rest can be filled in by veterans, like Zach Strief, who we're looking at for replacing Howard (and apparently he's better than him... and will be cheaper as he's 30). I guess the only guy I'd be bummed about not having is Byrd, but honestly, if Rex doesn't really value the position, why would we pay big money for one? I get the sense we'll be looking at veteran bargains and drafting guys to groom.

Still no word on WRs, but people are getting cut left and right, and James Jones and eventual cap cut Miles Austin would be fine by me, if they're healthy. Hoping Tate gets signed by the Lions or someone so he can be off the market.

Our main concerns should be Revis and Ware for big names, with heavy emphasis in the second wave of FAs on OL and WR replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody
I love what Idzik is doing! Sit back & let the market settle. Build this team through the draft

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-11-2014 at 09:01 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Woody and Revis hate each other. He's the guy who signs the checks. It's not happening for that reason. Doesn't matter that he gets along with Rex. At all.

This is bad right now though. Kinda feels like Idzik is overmatched by these agents or something. Remember, he wasn't a sought over GM candidate for a reason.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Verner got 4 years 26.5 million. The Jets could have signed him and that wouldn't be anywhere near overpay. And he could have been 'one of the highest paid players on the team' like he wants.

Schefter is reporting that the Broncos are the frontrunners for Ware.

The Jets are the frontrunners to fail to reach the NFL salary floor.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Lol.

Verner maybe just didn't want to go to NY. Maybe he loved Lovie, which makes sense.

That's my point about FA. You might not even have all the options of available guys - which is why overpaying is sometimes necessary.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Allen ‏@eallenjets
Idzik is working folks. In fact, I saw the man today. I love it how everybody wants the GM to lay out his battle plan online. #Hilarious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
Jets need to bolster pass catchers, but they want to improve RBs too. #NYJ showing serious interest in Maurice Jones-Drew, per source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom
Every other position is increasing in value, but RB production getting cheaper. Tate, MJD, DBrown, Moreno, Blount, Starks will get peanuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Filed to ESPN: Denver has emerged as the favorite to land former Dallas DE DeMarcus Ware, per league sources.
So there's that. Give it a couple days. Tones will change. I'm sure we'll see the picture a little clearer by the end of the week.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Peanuts... At this point price doesn't matter in the slightest. They should frontload all these deals. Just sign Decker and James Jones or something lol.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Looking at how cheap these RB deals are, I see it very likely that we get our third guy for our RBBC in FA. Virtually everyone available fits the mold of what they're looking for, but MJD is by far the best. If we don't get him, I'd expect a look at NOTHINGTOSEEHERE. But I will say this draft has a lot of guys that are going to go late that should appeal to the Jets... I really should post some rankings.

EDIT: Brown to the Chargers.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-11-2014 at 10:57 PM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote