Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-17-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
nyjetsguy27
Rookie

nyjetsguy27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El$anDollah
Did you guys hear, Asante Samuel got Franchised. I guess should look into Nate Clements now.
what a shame, asante samuel wouldve been such a great signing

sig by JETS5128
nyjetsguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't understand how a Jets fan, can knock Kenny Irons. The guy runs just like Curtis Martin does, in that he sets up his blocks then accelerates through the hole and uses his vision to get to the endzone. Present day, he reminds me of Brian Westbrook and C-Mart, with his combination of vision/acceleration and his multi dimensional demeanor. He's a tough guy, and he will get plowed down in the backfield when blocking, but he stays in there. That's all you can ask, and that slows down defenders. It'll be better then seeing Leon Washington diving at linebackers legs every play.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Briggs and Asante both got tagged, it was on ESPN.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

ya i woulda loved signing him too but i still think if we can replace Kimo with someone with actual pass rushing ability and create a pass rush with our front 3 or 4 without blitzing so often im pretty sure our 2nd corner (be it miller or whomever) wont be so exposed
Old 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
bakdafucup
Rookie

bakdafucup hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i know it doesnt address and immediate need. but what do you guys think of sidney rice with our 2a pick if he falls?

i think he needs about 2 years, and then will develop into a true #1 wideout. and by then we will absolutely need one.
bakdafucup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdafucup
i know it doesnt address and immediate need. but what do you guys think of sidney rice with our 2a pick if he falls?

i think he needs about 2 years, and then will develop into a true #1 wideout. and by then we will absolutely need one.
Like always, it depends who's on the board. I guess if he's by far the BPA and there is no one that would truly fill a need worthy of the 2a pick, then Rice would be a good pick.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:

i would love that.....but only in we do well in the offseason to fill our other needs
Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma
I don't understand how a Jets fan, can knock Kenny Irons. The guy runs just like Curtis Martin does, in that he sets up his blocks then accelerates through the hole and uses his vision to get to the endzone. Present day, he reminds me of Brian Westbrook and C-Mart, with his combination of vision/acceleration and his multi dimensional demeanor. He's a tough guy, and he will get plowed down in the backfield when blocking, but he stays in there. That's all you can ask, and that slows down defenders. It'll be better then seeing Leon Washington diving at linebackers legs every play.
I love Irons, so I'd love to get him. If he tests well at the combine, I'd be more than glad to take him.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedaeyebrow2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma
I love Irons, so I'd love to get him. If he tests well at the combine, I'd be more than glad to take him.
I think 2a is a bit high for him.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Vilma the Animal
Veteran

Vilma the Animal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3
Quote:

Like always, it depends who's on the board. I guess if he's by far the BPA and there is no one that would truly fill a need worthy of the 2a pick, then Rice would be a good pick.
I think when a talent like Sidney Rice falls to round 2, we'd hafta jump on it. Even if a player of need is available, I really can't see any talent greater than Rice falling past round 1 so I would really love to take him there. (Not with our first round pick though.) What about Jarrett if he falls, maybe round 1. He'd give us a real goal line threat right away with his height and jumping ability, which is something we really need IMO.

DChess...youre the man!
Vilma the Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilma the Animal
Quote:
Quote:

I think when a talent like Sidney Rice falls to round 2, we'd hafta jump on it. Even if a player of need is available, I really can't see any talent greater than Rice falling past round 1 so I would really love to take him there. (Not with our first round pick though.) What about Jarrett if he falls, maybe round 1. He'd give us a real goal line threat right away with his height and jumping ability, which is something we really need IMO.
I'd love Jarrett. I'd still rather have Carriker than Jarrett, but if Carriker isn't there then Jarrett would be a great pick.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Another receiver? And a possession receiver at that? That was our strongest position last year. Why on Earth would we want to draft one so early?
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

El$anDollah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

-Sidney Rice is to raw and inexperienced and is a kind of risky. He has major upside but could be worth it if he is defenitly at 2a. I dont see it though. If we did not go D here I would want a TE.
-Dwayne Jarrett would NOT be our first rounder. We have to many needs on D.
El$anDollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Hutch13

I'm just going to throw this out there. I'm starting to think that if we package our #1 and #2 to the skins, we could get our hands on Allen Branch. He would be our Seymour. I'm think this falls a little short on the pick value chart.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

http://www.mymockdraft.com/MyDraft/ftball83.aspx

This is the best Jets draft ever.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Giant4life
Veteran

Giant4life hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wanted to ask you guys, when is Justin Millers contract up?
Giant4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
http://www.mymockdraft.com/MyDraft/ftball83.aspx

This is the best Jets draft ever.
WOW, that would make me very happy.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4
I'm just going to throw this out there. I'm starting to think that if we package our #1 and #2 to the skins, we could get our hands on Allen Branch. He would be our Seymour. I'm think this falls a little short on the pick value chart.
The value is way, way short. If the Skins would bite though, i would love Branch. Especially cuz im a Michigan fan. Guys an animal.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

Outisde Linebackers
1. Julian Peterson – 1/16
2. Keith Bulluck – 1/30
3. Joey Porter – 3/73
4. Keith Brooking – 1/12
5. Takeo Spikes – 1/13
6. Mike Vrabel – 3
7. Shawne Merriman – 1/12
8. Marcus Washington – 2/59
9. Lance Briggs – 3/68
10. Adalius Thomas - 6/186
11. Ian Gold – 2/40
12. Demarcus Ware – 1/11
13. Derrick Brooks – 1/28
14. LaVar Arrington –1/2
15. Channing Crowder – 3/70

Inside Linebackers
1. Brian Urlacher – 1/9
2. Ray Lewis – 1/26
3. Al Wilson – 1/31
4. Lofa Tatupu – 2/45
5. Jonathan Vilma – 1/12
6. James Farrior – 1/8
7. Zach Thomas – 5/154
8. Mike Peterson – 2/36
9. Dan Morgan – 1/11
10. Donnie Edwards – 4/98
11. Tedy Bruschi - 3/86
12. Antonio Pierce - undrafted
13. Nick Barnett – 1/29
14. Andra Davis – 5/
15. Jeremiah Trotter - 3/72

The above is a list of Scott’s top 15 players for the outside and inside linebackers and then ifound the round and overall pick they were….now I know everyone is saying our need is OLB but I figured id throw them both up there for my next couple of points …It can easily be seen that while there are a ton of first round picks that turn out to be terrific linebackers, there are definitely those who are found in later rounds which can be just as good…My point being is i don’t know how high I am on Quentin Moses or the other DE/LB tweeners, but I am kind of eating my words right now but I don’t see trading the #1 pick for Michael turner (only if mangini and schottenheimer truly feel he is the real deal) to be that stupid of an idea. I also think that with a new head coach with not as much knowledge of turner as marty had maybe there could be room for a trade..say 2a and mccareins? Not a true #1 receiver but most definitely an upgrade over Mccardel Jackson and Parker. I believe that with a new team and a fire under his ass he could beat out those three for the starting position. But for now we will just assume it’s a first rounder.
My next point being the free agent I wanted to sign was Asante but we can’t get him now and theres no point in say how bad we would have liked him its over with…so I feel Daniel graham former first rounder and Tully Banta-cain would not only add tremendous depth but take it away from the patsies…I think a combination of graham and baker would be excellent and would add another big target in the endzone. Banta-cain is young, and had a breakthrough year in his 4th year in the league. Adding banta-cain who is an already proven OLB would compensate for the OLB a lot of people want in the first round, of which we gave up for Michael turner.
With our two 2nd rounders focus on revis, mebane or beekman. And so far I love Ikaika Alama-francis. Regardless, whatever mangini and tannenbaum do im sure will be damn good. can't wait for next year..and madden.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
Another receiver? And a possession receiver at that? That was our strongest position last year. Why on Earth would we want to draft one so early?
3 things:
1. Coles is getting older, and with all the contact he takes, idk how much longer he can last. If you watch one game, he gets shaken up and/or hurt very often.
2. Possesion reciever is what we need due to Penningtons weak arm. We just need guys who can run 10 yards and catch the ball.
3. We need a big red-zone target, and Jarret defines that. The only weakness in his game is his lack of speed, which isn't very necessary in the red zone.

If Jarret falls to #25, which i find highly unlikely, i would be very happy to take him, if and only if, Carriker, Lynch and Hall are all gone (possible for each to fall to us).
Old 02-18-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Quote:
1. Coles is getting older, and with all the contact he takes, idk how much longer he can last. If you watch one game, he gets shaken up and/or hurt very often.
Coles is 29 I believe and is in his prime. He does take a lot of beating and he probably won't be playing for more than 3/4 years. That's an awful long time to be looking ahead in the future with so many needs that are in the current.
Quote:
2. Possesion reciever is what we need due to Penningtons weak arm. We just need guys who can run 10 yards and catch the ball.
Yes, and we have two excellent examples already on the team. Getting another is a luxury, not a necessity.
Quote:
3. We need a big red-zone target, and Jarret defines that. The only weakness in his game is his lack of speed, which isn't very necessary in the red zone.
Oh goodie, a red-zone target, that's so worth your first round pick for a slot receiver that's there for the red zone right? Drafting a versatile tight end would bring far more value.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
Quote:
Coles is 29 I believe and is in his prime. He does take a lot of beating and he probably won't be playing for more than 3/4 years. That's an awful long time to be looking ahead in the future with so many needs that are in the current.
Quote:
Yes, and we have two excellent examples already on the team. Getting another is a luxury, not a necessity.
Quote:
Oh goodie, a red-zone target, that's so worth your first round pick for a slot receiver that's there for the red zone right? Drafting a versatile tight end would bring far more value.
What's wrong with having 3 great possesion recievers, 2 of them being really, really young. There is no way, your gonna tell me that you would rather have any of the TE's from this draft than Dwayne Jarret.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's wrong with having 3 great possesion recievers, 2 of them being really, really young. There is no way, your gonna tell me that you would rather have any of the TE's from this draft than Dwayne Jarret.
Is that you Matt Millen? I'm not denying that it'd be good to have several good receivers. But to use our highest draft pick and invest so much money in a position that is arguably the greatest strength on our team seems ridiculous to me.

And yes I would much rather nab a TE slightly later in the draft then draft Jarret at 25. We don't have any dangerous TE's but we have 2 dangerous wideouts.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

El$anDollah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree with Zim, we defenitly are NOT taking a WR in the 1st. If we did go for a reciever it would be a TE and Im not confident in that. I dont know how many times Ive said it but this draft is packed with good WR. We can land Steve Smith/Brandon Myles/Jacoby Jones in 5th and others before them.
El$anDollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
kafb86

i'm just saying, if theres not a player left that would fit our team great at good value, and we don't want to trade down, i wouldnt mind jarret....still, if were gonna take a reciever at 25, i wouldnt want it to be a te cuz i dont think any of these te's are worthy of that pick