Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Jets | Poteat re-signed
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:10:11 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets have re-signed CB Hank Poteat to a one-year, $635,000 contract including $40,000 in bonus money.
He's a serviceable backup I guess

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Poteat played excellent this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next year.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Glad we resigned him. He definitely deserved to be resigned

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
C-Thomas

ok now i love the idea of trading down our first pick for a high 2nd and high 3rd (i believe that works out in trade value) so as we have three 2nd rounders and 2 third rounders...i was just wondering if anyone had any idea of who would want or need to get to our pick? suggestions and reasons why
Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

El$anDollah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

OL Trey Teague and RB Kevan Barlow have officially been released. Cue Halaluya theme.
El$anDollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10
ok now i love the idea of trading down our first pick for a high 2nd and high 3rd (i believe that works out in trade value) so as we have three 2nd rounders and 2 third rounders...i was just wondering if anyone had any idea of who would want or need to get to our pick? suggestions and reasons why
i would do this as a draft day trade because if carriker, lynch, or hall is left i would take them over almost any trade down, but here are a few possiblities that came to mine:

idk if tampa would be interested in this, but it works out in the value chart...we give them our 1st round pick (25) and barlow (evens out if valued as a mid-4th which might be a reach) and void the pick they owe us for baker, for their 2 2nd rounder picks (35/36 and 64)

if miami is looking to jump over a few teams for a cb, we could do our 1st rounder for their 2nd and 3rd
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Eric Mangini announced the coaching staff today...
another guy from the Pats

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

does the fact that we released Barlow say anything that we are going to really push for a RB, or is it just because he sucks.

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman
does the fact that we released Barlow say anything that we are going to really push for a RB, or is it just because he sucks.
I think it shows that we can't yet annoint Mangini or Tannenbaum as genious', because they do make mistakes. Trading for Barlow ended up being a horrible deal, regardless of the fact that it was 'only' a fourth rounder.

They've done a very good job up until this point, but I think it's one year too early to give either of them big contract extensions.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

-I think when we released Barlow, it was because the Jets aren't stupid enough to pay a relatively 3rd string RB 3 MILL.

- In regards to the Jets future, it is looking really bright.

-In regards to the Patriots franchise, HA HA!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma
Quote:
I think it shows that we can't yet annoint Mangini or Tannenbaum as genious', because they do make mistakes. Trading for Barlow ended up being a horrible deal, regardless of the fact that it was 'only' a fourth rounder.

They've done a very good job up until this point, but I think it's one year too early to give either of them big contract extensions.
Everyone makes mistakes, it reflects positively on them that they realized the mistake and moved on rather than hoping he would have a good season to make the deal look better.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
i say both....he had a verfy dissapointing year and was gettign way overpaid for his use on the team, however i would have liked to maybe trade him for a pick or to add into a deal to equal out the values.....on the other hand, i believe this proves we are goign to go for a rb in the offseason whether it is in free agency or from the draft, becasue mangini and tannenbaum know that a rb core of houston, washington, and blaylock is not going to cut it becuase they are all back-ups on most teams
Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

Which guys are you looking foward to see at the Combine?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El$anDollah
-I think when we released Barlow, it was because the Jets aren't stupid enough to pay a relatively 3rd string RB 3 MILL.

- In regards to the Jets future, it is looking really bright.

-In regards to the Patriots franchise, HA HA!!!
Truer words were never spoken :)

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Pujols

getting rid of barlow was the right thing to do...he wasn't expected to last past '06 anyway, and based on who we drafted last year, that 4th round pick is expendable..i wish we could say that we are making room to snatch up turner from SD, but #1-i'm not willing to see the jets give up a 1st rounder for him and #2-he really hasn't proved himself(lamont jordan sound familiar?) to be a starter for 20 to 25 carries a game..at first i would have liked to see blaylock get cut, but maybe he has more value as trade bait then barlow. what about thomas joes? think he would fit? other than that i don't know of any other RB that is an unrestricted free agent coming out this year.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
OL Trey Teague and RB Kevan Barlow have officially been released. Cue Halaluya theme.
Thank god.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, Im just curious. Theres alot being said about the Jets eyeing CBs in round 1. But Im not sure if thats truely the case. Mangini is from Bellichick's philosophy, and Bellichick doesn't put a premium on CBs. Do you think Mangini will follow suit and go after more front 7/Trench players?

Or will he in fact try to find his own Asante Samuel in this draft in round 1?

Personally, I think theres more pressing needs, like a long term compliment to Thomas on the edges, and another 3-4 DE. An RB wouldn't hurt either, and Lynch is gonna be a very good player, almost undeserving of falling in late round 1.

Id put NT at the top of the need list, but I don't realistically see any answers there in this draft. That problem could rear its ugly head next year.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

I finally finished my tribute to Curtis!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Hey guys, Im just curious. Theres alot being said about the Jets eyeing CBs in round 1. But Im not sure if thats truely the case. Mangini is from Bellichick's philosophy, and Bellichick doesn't put a premium on CBs. Do you think Mangini will follow suit and go after more front 7/Trench players?

Personally, I think theres more pressing needs, like a long term compliment to Thomas on the edges, and another 3-4 DE. An RB wouldn't hurt either, and Lynch is gonna be a very good player, almost undeserving of falling in late round 1.

Id put NT at the top of the need list, but I don't realistically see any answers there in this draft. That problem could rear its ugly head next year.
The front 7 is what will be worked on. I'm hoping for a:

1. NT or DE
2a. NT or DE
2b. OLB
3. CB
5. WR/RB
6. WR/RB
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

I definitely hope we look for front 7/trench players, and I think we will. We started to build through the trenches early last year, and I think we will again this year as well, but on the other side of the ball.

If Lynch falls it would be hard not to pick him, but I'm not sure I see it happening unless something happens comes of this thing with the ex-girlfriend (which I don't think it will). At this point it seems like they might give Washington a chance next year which could put our playoff chances at risk. That said, with a harder schedule the playoffs will be hard to make regardless of who's in the backfield. I'd guess we go with a power guy or something close to that day 2 or maybe late day 1 unless Lynch slips to us. Somebody like Wynn or Moss would be a nice fit.

Other than that I think we'll see some defensive end prospect rise and we'll take him late first. Maybe a guard if no good front 7 players are available, not many good 3-4 fits on the line and that's what we really need. In that case I'd rather trade down though, and I think that's definitely a realistic possibility. We have a bunch of needs and should stockpile picks.

Overall, I see us taking a shot on a day 2 RB with potential to see if he pans out nicely and focusing on the lines early. We'll look for a NT next year I'd assume since there really aren't any great fits this year. It'd be amazing if Hampton became available with the Steelers switching to a 4-3, but that's just me being overly optimistic and it won't happen so I guess we'll have to wait. After we fix up our lines this year and get our NT next year I think we try and get long-term fits at the skill positions, RB, some WR's, maybe a TE (which could be a possibility this year as well considering the way the Pats like their TE's), and on defense a corner or two.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

I think most teams are looking at the Adalius Thomas situation right now. He didn't get tagged but there are only 8 days till FA. Personally, I think we shouldn't look at him b/c his asking price will be big and he is 30.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think most teams are looking at the Adalius Thomas situation right now. He didn't get tagged but there are only 8 days till FA. Personally, I think we shouldn't look at him b/c his asking price will be big and he is 30.
I concur. He'd be very interesting as a part of our defense but he's a little old to get a contract as huge as he'll be getting. With us having a bit of a youth movement I think the move wouldn't make much sense. By the time we're ready to make a serious run his skills will be declining significantly. Still a very interesting player for a team that is going to be a serious contender next year.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

Youthfullness just reminded of something. Last year the Jets chances of making the SB was 100-1while the Giants were 15-1. This year our chances are 25-1 but the Giants are 30-1.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

Quote:
Youthfullness just reminded of something. Last year the Jets chances of making the SB was 100-1while the Giants were 15-1. This year our chances are 25-1 but the Giants are 30-1.
Giants = Most overrated franchise in the NFL
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

Today, on ESPN, they did our Offseason thingy. They said our grade for last year was an A. What we need to do is make sure all of our players are on the same pace as they were last year. They said that the thing we need to improve the most is Running the ball. Our draft needs were Oline/Dline/Runningback/Corner.

In round one, they have us taking Aaron Ross, and round 2, we take Michael Bush and Tank Tyler, and Round 3, we take James Marten.

We are predicted to go 9-7/10-6 and make the playoffs.

We finally got some respect!!! (Nobody likes my Curtis sig )