Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-27-2006, 07:41 PM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets future
i know a lot of these commetators are like using slang terminology, its mad funny, i frogot what game i was watching but the coimmentator was like"he is always ballin on game day"
says the guy who used the phrase "mad funny"

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutiesDropKick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets future
i know a lot of these commetators are like using slang terminology, its mad funny, i frogot what game i was watching but the coimmentator was like"he is always ballin on game day"
says the guy who used the phrase "mad funny"
To use the terminology of our day, you just got served.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
I haven't watched a single Jets game but is Kerry Rhodes playing as well as his stats indicate?
He's better than the stats indicate. I mean it could be argued that he's the best player on our defense, he's played better than anyone else this year by a large margin IMO. I have no idea how he slipped to the 4th round.
what do u mean by it could be argued. He is without the best player on our D, as much as I love vilma, i have to admit it.

I think he slipped to the 4th, because he was bad in coverage, but don't quote me on that.
Just trying to be diplomatic. I'm not as blunt as you are Josh.

And I'm pretty sure he slipped to the 4th because of concerns he wasn't physical enough. If I'm right he was a ballhawk in college but started off as a QB so there were questions about tackling and whatnot. He's certainly answered those this year, he gets a ton of tackles and is one of the best blitzing safeties in the league.

By the way, that play where he faked the blitz and dropped into coverage and picked the deep out to Johnson was sick.
I don't know how to take it, but NFL.com's prospect profile suggests that Rhodes was considered to be "Best when stepping up in the box to make plays on the ball near the line of scrimmage." But also suggests he is athletic enough to provide good coverage and snatch the ball out of the air. So I don't really know what that means in terms of why he fell.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman
-D'Brick pretty much owned Mario today
i call bullsh*t on this...

from PFW: "Texans DE Mario Williams squared off with Jets OLT D’Brickashaw Ferguson — two top-five picks last year — and did not record a sack, but he continually ragdolled Ferguson and worked his way into the backfield, leaving Chad Pennington on the ground for an extended stay one time after hitting him hard and landing on top of him."

there was ownage transpiring, you just have it backwards...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRO
Quote:
-D'Brick pretty much owned Mario today
i call bullsh*t on this...

from PFW: "Texans DE Mario Williams squared off with Jets OLT D’Brickashaw Ferguson — two top-five picks last year — and did not record a sack, but he continually ragdolled Ferguson and worked his way into the backfield, leaving Chad Pennington on the ground for an extended stay one time after hitting him hard and landing on top of him."

there was ownage transpiring, you just have it backwards...
I wouldn't say Mario owned D'brick- no sacks, one good play where he wasn't even the first one to get to Pennington, and Pennington looked comfortable in the pocket all day. Also Mario wasn't just going against D'brick all day, so maybe we'll compromise and call it a draw- both players will turn out to be studs.

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ
I haven't watched a single Jets game but is Kerry Rhodes playing as well as his stats indicate?
He's better than the stats indicate. I mean it could be argued that he's the best player on our defense, he's played better than anyone else this year by a large margin IMO. I have no idea how he slipped to the 4th round.
what do u mean by it could be argued. He is without the best player on our D, as much as I love vilma, i have to admit it.

I think he slipped to the 4th, because he was bad in coverage, but don't quote me on that.
Just trying to be diplomatic. I'm not as blunt as you are Josh.

And I'm pretty sure he slipped to the 4th because of concerns he wasn't physical enough. If I'm right he was a ballhawk in college but started off as a QB so there were questions about tackling and whatnot. He's certainly answered those this year, he gets a ton of tackles and is one of the best blitzing safeties in the league.

By the way, that play where he faked the blitz and dropped into coverage and picked the deep out to Johnson was sick.
I don't know how to take it, but NFL.com's prospect profile suggests that Rhodes was considered to be "Best when stepping up in the box to make plays on the ball near the line of scrimmage." But also suggests he is athletic enough to provide good coverage and snatch the ball out of the air. So I don't really know what that means in terms of why he fell.
Out of USA Today a brief mention of Rhodes pre-draft: Kerry Rhodes Louisville 6-3 209 Nice range, speed. But is he tough enough?

Also I really don't trust NFL.com too much. Do you have a link to the scouting report?

I'd really be interested in what Scott thought of him predraft to be honest. But I knew I read somewhere that his toughness at safety was questioned, I hadn't read the USA Today report but at least that shows that there were questions somewhere, that probably wasn't the only place that questioned his toughness either. And I was sure that coverage, or at least his speed and ability to be a deep center field type, weren't in question.

Completely different note, what do you guys want to look at as far as needs go on draft day? I'd kind of like a number one corner if we can swing one, as well as an elite DE/OLB if available in the first.

Anybody know anything about Darrelle Revis, corner out of Pitt? Purdue DE Anthony Spencer intrigues me as well.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:55 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ff.race/1.html

Interesting article on the 10 players that could decided playoff chances for their teams.

Quote:
10. Jonathan Vilma: The New York Jets inside linebacker has ranked among the league leaders in tackles all season but he's also been producing in a 3-4 system that doesn't play to his strengths. At 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds, Vilma doesn't have the prototypical size to take on guards and centers in that scheme and opposing teams have exploited that fact at various times this year. If the surprising Jets are going to stay in contention, he'll have to keep playing at his best for a defense that really doesn't have adequate personnel for the 3-4.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/11/28/playoff.race/1.html

Interesting article on the 10 players that could decided playoff chances for their teams.

Quote:
10. Jonathan Vilma: The New York Jets inside linebacker has ranked among the league leaders in tackles all season but he's also been producing in a 3-4 system that doesn't play to his strengths. At 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds, Vilma doesn't have the prototypical size to take on guards and centers in that scheme and opposing teams have exploited that fact at various times this year. If the surprising Jets are going to stay in contention, he'll have to keep playing at his best for a defense that really doesn't have adequate personnel for the 3-4.
I was actually just going to comment on that same article, it was very interesting. Nice find. Hopefully Vilma continues to tough it out in the 3-4 and gets better in the years to come.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

D'Brick gave up a hit that could've ended Chad's career. He was anything but great on Sunday.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

Upcoming draft:

It looks like now that Dewayne is playing much much better, DE/OLB is the biggest need for next year (even though Hobson is also playing better). LaMarr Woodley seems to be the obvious pick, but does he fit the Mangini mold of tough, smart, hard-working players?? If so, I think he will be the pick come April.

^^Sig From Nvot9
Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really really really like Brian Smith but he's probably a day 2 pick because of his injury. So i think either corner or RB in rounds 1 and 2, then someone like Carriker with rou 2nd 2nd . Then either a downfield threat or Guard in round 3 and Smith in round 4

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

When is Brad Smith gonna throw a pass???? We've heard about his passing ability since the draft, and he hasn't even attempted a throw once this season.

^^Sig From Nvot9
Old 11-29-2006, 02:53 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
When is Brad Smith gonna throw a pass???? We've heard about his passing ability since the draft, and he hasn't even attempted a throw once this season.
Would be interesting to see him do a Randle El type of play once this season.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown
Quote:
Would be interesting to see him do a Randle El type of play once this season.
They're saving it for the playoffs. :P
Old 11-29-2006, 04:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Upcoming draft:

It looks like now that Dewayne is playing much much better, DE/OLB is the biggest need for next year (even though Hobson is also playing better). LaMarr Woodley seems to be the obvious pick, but does he fit the Mangini mold of tough, smart, hard-working players?? If so, I think he will be the pick come April.
Wouldn't be surprised if we went with a corner in round 1 either. I just wonder if Woodley has the speed to play 3-4 OLB. I mentioned it before, Anthony Spencer from Purdue intrigues me. For some reason I think we're going to go after him (or a corner) in the first. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We don't need a corner. Our secondary is getting burned from time to time because we are forced to blitz so often, because of our weak front seven. If anything, our seconday is our strong point. Ray Mcdonald from Florida I think would make an excellent DE in our system. I would love to pick him up in the second round.

I wouldn't rule out runningback either. Especially if a Marshawn Lynch type were to be there.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
We don't need a corner. Our secondary is getting burned from time to time because we are forced to blitz so often, because of our weak front seven. If anything, our seconday is our strong point. Ray Mcdonald from Florida I think would make an excellent DE in our system. I would love to pick him up in the second round.

I wouldn't rule out runningback either. Especially if a Marshawn Lynch type were to be there.
Has nothing to do with our secondary getting burned, I just think our corners are weak. In my opinion we don't have two starting corners on this team, Dyson is the only one. Miller is not a good corner by any stretch of the imagination, and Coleman just doesn't have what it takes to start in the league IMO, too insconsistant and not big enough. I just think we could use another starter and if we can find a good value we should definitely go for it.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:04 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Has nothing to do with our secondary getting burned, I just think our corners are weak. In my opinion we don't have two starting corners on this team, Dyson is the only one. Miller is not a good corner by any stretch of the imagination, and Coleman just doesn't have what it takes to start in the league IMO, too insconsistant and not big enough. I just think we could use another starter and if we can find a good value we should definitely go for it.

how about instead of drafting a CB, we sign one of the NE cornerbacks who are free agents this year, either G a y or Samuel. They probably both know Mangini well and we could probably pay them more than the Pats would be willing to.

^^Sig From Nvot9
Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

how about instead of drafting a CB, we sign one of the NE cornerbacks who are free agents this year, either G a y or Samuel. They probably both know Mangini well and we could probably pay them more than the Pats would be willing to.
I have no problem with getting a cornerback through FA or trade, don't know how much they'll want though I don't wanna overpay anyone. Draft is always nice though. As long as they're young and we don't overpay (in a trade or contract amount) I'm good with however we get them though.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:00 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have no problem with getting a cornerback through FA or trade, don't know how much they'll want though I don't wanna overpay anyone. Draft is always nice though. As long as they're young and we don't overpay (in a trade or contract amount) I'm good with however we get them though.
We do need something at CB. I am overly loyal, but I still am holding hope that Justin Miller turns it around and becomes a solid cb.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:43 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We do need something at CB. I am overly loyal, but I still am holding hope that Justin Miller turns it around and becomes a solid cb.
Aren't we all hoping Miller turns it around? I just think at this point we can't expect it and if we get a shot to pick somebody up thats a good value we have to do it. Get some competition, light a fire under his ass maybe, I don't care as long as we have a decent starting pair of corners. I think we've got 2 number 3's a 3/4 and a 1/2 corner on this team, so getting another guy who is a legit starter would be nice.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Upcoming draft:

Wouldn't be surprised if we went with a corner in round 1 either. I just wonder if Woodley has the speed to play 3-4 OLB. I mentioned it before, Anthony Spencer from Purdue intrigues me. For some reason I think we're going to go after him (or a corner) in the first. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.
I like Anthony Spencer alot. Right now he's a round 2 range, but his stock can skyrocket depending on his combine. Ive been very critical of Lamar Woodley's lack of burst and speed as a whole throught the year, its really gonna take some weight loss and an impressive 40 time for me to believe that he can be an elite player at the next level.

Im still surprised that you guys didn't bite on Mark Andersen this past draft. When I saw him fall I thought for sure you guys would draft him as a rushbacker, but it never happened. He fell to the 5th round! I was shocked, he wouldve been a good project for the Jets, and I think he wouldve been successful too.

I think a FS like Reggie Nelson would be the perfect compliment to Rhodes in that secondary.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Quote:
Upcoming draft:

I like Anthony Spencer alot. Right now he's a round 2 range, but his stock can skyrocket depending on his combine. Ive been very critical of Lamar Woodley's lack of burst and speed as a whole throught the year, its really gonna take some weight loss and an impressive 40 time for me to believe that he can be an elite player at the next level.

Im still surprised that you guys didn't bite on Mark Andersen this past draft. When I saw him fall I thought for sure you guys would draft him as a rushbacker, but it never happened. He fell to the 5th round! I was shocked, he wouldve been a good project for the Jets, and I think he wouldve been successful too.

I think a FS like Reggie Nelson would be the perfect compliment to Rhodes in that secondary.
Nelson would definitely be a nice compliment to Rhodes, depending on who's available I could see us going in that direction. That said, safety is probably the best postion on our defense. I still think we need another starting caliber corner on our D as well. At the same time, the front 7 needs help so we don't have to blitz as much and leave our corners on an island. It's tough with so many needs, but at the same time its nice because we have so many directions we can go in on draft day we could almost (almost) pick the best defensive player available.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:48 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

Idk if anybody saw the article in the Star Ledger today, but it said Barlow is out of the 3 RB rotation, and that Leon Washington and Ced Houston will only split the carries- idk how much truth there is to this, but it is very interesting considering the game Barlow had against the Pats.

^^Sig From Nvot9
Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Idk if anybody saw the article in the Star Ledger today, but it said Barlow is out of the 3 RB rotation, and that Leon Washington and Ced Houston will only split the carries- idk how much truth there is to this, but it is very interesting considering the game Barlow had against the Pats.
Yeah I did see that. I'm not sure if I really dislike the move, he did have a great game against the Pats but hasn't really done too much. In my opinion, Houston is the best back we have anyway so now that we have him back those two can split carries. I'm sure its tough for Pennington to come up with audibles with 3 completely different backs behind him, it seems like sometimes the play we run would be perfect for Washington but we have Barlow in the backfield and it goes for a loss, so hopefully it helps that. All in all I hope Houston gets the bulk of the carries and Washington gets touches on draws, outside runs, and screens to take advantage of his speed, agility, and receiving ability.