Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM    (permalink
tishdog
Rookie

tishdog hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

would you guys like that?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:58 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishdog

would you guys like that?
You know I especially would. As I have previously stated, I would quite literally cry with joy.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think I'd be more excited that Derrick Blaylock would be off to take 23

But seriously I would love to have Brian Leonard.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Damn Bengals... I usually love them, but if they keep winning, we'll never get in. :(
Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp
Damn Bengals... I usually love them, but if they keep winning, we'll never get in. :(
If we we this weekend, we will be 7-5 also.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:50 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp
If we we this weekend, we will be 7-5 also.
Well, their conference record is one half game better than ours... so if we both win out, regardless of Denver and KC, we don't make it.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

shavedaeyebrow2 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman
Upcoming draft:

It looks like now that Dewayne is playing much much better, DE/OLB is the biggest need for next year (even though Hobson is also playing better). LaMarr Woodley seems to be the obvious pick, but does he fit the Mangini mold of tough, smart, hard-working players?? If so, I think he will be the pick come April.
Wouldn't be surprised if we went with a corner in round 1 either. I just wonder if Woodley has the speed to play 3-4 OLB. I mentioned it before, Anthony Spencer from Purdue intrigues me. For some reason I think we're going to go after him (or a corner) in the first. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.
I like Anthony Spencer alot. Right now he's a round 2 range, but his stock can skyrocket depending on his combine. Ive been very critical of Lamar Woodley's lack of burst and speed as a whole throught the year, its really gonna take some weight loss and an impressive 40 time for me to believe that he can be an elite player at the next level.

Im still surprised that you guys didn't bite on Mark Andersen this past draft. When I saw him fall I thought for sure you guys would draft him as a rushbacker, but it never happened. He fell to the 5th round! I was shocked, he wouldve been a good project for the Jets, and I think he wouldve been successful too.

I think a FS like Reggie Nelson would be the perfect compliment to Rhodes in that secondary.
I don't know why people are already giving up on Erik Coleman? He had 100 tackles last season! I know stats aren't everything, but that is impressive. He has been great and had a great game last week. There is no way we take a Safety unless we move him to CB.

Gamertag: KRAAAWG
shavedaeyebrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:11 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

Just saw we resigned Bryan Thomas to a 5 year contract.
Quote:
ESPN.com has learned that the extension can be worth as much as $25 million and it includes $9 million in guarantees.
I'm pretty happy with it. He played very well this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2682516

Old 12-01-2006, 03:20 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavedaeyebrow2

I don't know why people are already giving up on Erik Coleman? He had 100 tackles last season! I know stats aren't everything, but that is impressive. He has been great and had a great game last week. There is no way we take a Safety unless we move him to CB.
Coleman is a beast. We have no reason to draft a safety in the next 6-7 years.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just saw we resigned Bryan Thomas to a 5 year contract.
Quote:
ESPN.com has learned that the extension can be worth as much as $25 million and it includes $9 million in guarantees.
I'm pretty happy with it. He played very well this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2682516[/code]
I'm also very happy with the contract extension. Considering we have him locked up, does anyone think we take a 3-4 OLB in the first round next year anymore? I still would like to see Brian Smith day 2 but in light of the extension I'm not thinking we draft a rush linebacker in the first.

I'd love to have Brian Leonard on our football team.

It's tough to give up on Coleman I know and I love the guy, but I don't know if Nelson means we're giving up on Coleman. I just think we go with the best defensive player available (outside of a rush OLB) and Nelson could do a lot of things for this defense. Keep in mind he's versatile (a CB/S tweener I believe, although better suited for S) which is a good fit for the defense. I wouldn't want a pure safety but if he was the best defensive player available and we could move him around a lot I wouldn't really mind him as opposed to some other guys we could take. Depending on how Ced finishes out the year I could handle a RB in round 1 although I hope he shows enough to take the starting job. Plus I'd rather take Leonard in the second. An offensive lineman wouldn't be bad, but I'd rather not take one to be honest. Defense round 1, we can get a lineman with one of our two second rounders or our third IMO. Just my thoughts.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the Thomas resigning, it's his first year in the system and he's constantly getting better. Now all we need to do is get the other Thomas over here

:mrgreen:
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim3031
I like the Thomas resigning, it's his first year in the system and he's constantly getting better. Now all we need to do is get the other Thomas over here

:mrgreen:

Thomas is nasty, LOVE to pick him up in the offseason. He'd bring a whole new aspect to this defense, and I think Mangini would really be able to use him very well.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:07 PM    (permalink
shavedaeyebrow2
Pro Bowler

I think after we got Thomas for the extension, we either go CB, RB, RT, or DE. At CB, there are a lot of good CBs in this draft that could should go first round, so it looks like we'll be able to choose which we want. For RB, if Lynch is there, we get him. If not we can choose between Irons or Bush (too early for both though). For RT, we def. need a RT but I doubt we go Oline two years in a row. and the for DE, only DE we take is Alan Branch. In later rounds we can look other ways but Rd. 1 the only guy we'd take would be Branch.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 PM    (permalink
AMJets
Rookie

AMJets hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I think after we got Thomas for the extension, we either go CB, RB, RT, or DE. At CB, there are a lot of good CBs in this draft that could should go first round, so it looks like we'll be able to choose which we want. For RB, if Lynch is there, we get him. If not we can choose between Irons or Bush (too early for both though). For RT, we def. need a RT but I doubt we go Oline two years in a row. and the for DE, only DE we take is Alan Branch. In later rounds we can look other ways but Rd. 1 the only guy we'd take would be Branch.
Jets won't take a CB in the early rounds. There's a reason the Patriots don't take CBs early in the draft, or sign them to big money deals. They are basically interchangable in the Belichick/Mangini system.
AMJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I think Lynch is gone by the time we pick. If he's not we take him, but not as much because RB is a huge need for us as we don't have one legit starter at the position (although we aren't doing too poorly running the ball) and Lynch is an amazing RB prospect not only as a runner but as a receiver. I really don't think we take another guy in the first.

If some RT prospect comes along that is a real first round guy then I wouldn't mind going for him as building in the trenches is always nice. That said, I don't see anybody worth a first round pick at this point. That can obviously change as we get closer to the draft, but as of right now I don't see anybody worth picking.

At defensive end, I agree with you completely, word for word. (I basically agree with everything, but I have absolutely nothing to add for end those are my thoughts exactly).

Corner seems like a good position to take. We really don't have 2 starting caliber guys on this team (my opinion) so a corner in the first works for me. Perhaps Pats history works against it, but there are a bunch of corners that should go in our range and its a need so its a logical postion to look at.

By the way, if we're looking at Pats history a TE would make sense. Not saying I want one, but based on what they've done I could see it happening.

I guess there aren't really many positions we're set at. I'd like to go with not quite a BPA strategy but something along those lines. If an elite guy slips down to us at any position I'd take him. Perfect example is safety. We're pretty set at safety, but if Landry slips down to our spot in the first I wouldn't mind picking him up (we'd be pretty sick at safety, and you're not going to get anybody that makes close to the same impact as Landry where we're drafting). Trading down would be good too. At quarterback I really don't see anything happening with Clemens, and after signing Thomas I don't see a rush LB getting drafted. But the best player available out of corner, DL (that fits our scheme), LB (same as DL, and has to fit a need too, maybe a OLB opposite Thomas, not an ILB though because Vilma is our coverage guy and we can pick up a thumper for the run game later), OL (not a LT or C), or RB should be our pick. If there's an elite (ELITE) safety or WR (more of a speed WR than anything), so basically just Ginn or Landry, then we could go there. But otherwise we may as well take the guy thats going to make a huge impact since we are solid so many places but elite so few. Just my 2 cents. And I could be making and oversight here s o if you disagree feel free to tell me that im being stupid.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:05 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know if rb is necessary round 1 is we are able to take leonard round 2 because not only is he a really good blocker, I think he should be able to improve the running game by running 10 times a game or so.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Whats the contract situation on our RBs?

L.Washington
C.Houston
K.Barlow
C.Martin
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Lets get the job done here. Every game is a must win.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Lets get the job done here. Every game is a must win.
We got this.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:38 PM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say we won this one and it looks like the Pats will lose to the Lions :D If we could beat the ******* Browns we'd be itied for the division lead in a few minutes!

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:41 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutiesDropKick
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say we won this one and it looks like the Pats will lose to the Lions :D If we could beat the *********** Browns we'd be itied for the division lead in a few minutes!
I don't think we would have beat the Pats if we won that game. Just a gut feeling.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:44 PM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutiesDropKick
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say we won this one and it looks like the Pats will lose to the Lions :D If we could beat the *********** Browns we'd be itied for the division lead in a few minutes!
I don't think we would have beat the Pats if we won that game. Just a gut feeling.
well it don't matter now, Pats pulled it out their ass

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

AMAZING game today!!!!

We gotta win out though, and goddam stop Willis Mcgahee next week (something we don't do very well)

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman
AMAZING game today!!!!

We gotta win out though, and goddam stop Willis Mcgahee next week (something we don't do very well)
lol yea what does he average like 110 yards against us or something ridiculous like that.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does everyone see my point as to why the Jets don't need a runningback?

We have three legit runners. Barlow in goal line and bad weather situations, Houston as the power runner, and Washington as the pass catcher.

The Jets made the mistake of drafting Blair Thomas years ago when they had a bunch of runningbacks they wanted to run with a comittee under Coslet. Don't make the same mistake again.

We need another 3-4 end/nose tackle. We need to add another guard as Kendall's replacement. And we could use a right tackle. I think with Bryan Thomas' recent emergence, and signing, Justin Blalock and Levi Brown are looking more and more believeable in the first round if we can't get a Frank Okam, Alan Branch or Adam Carikker (who will be a second rounder anyway) type of player early on.

We need to keep building through the trenches. Right now, we're winning games without much help from the defensive line. If we can add another solid player or two we'll be very good on the defensive line.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote