Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Yea, I agree, he's done nothing for the Jets while on the team. He hasn't played well at all this year...

Yes, I'm being god damn sarcastic.
He hasn't played that well this year. Look at the stats, no Ints, no FFs, no FRs, no Sacks, no PDs. Granted i remember against Miami he was frequently pressuring Green and was close to some sacks. But Vilma has just been solid this year. I think this has alot more to do with the line then it does him, but it doesn't hide the fact that Vilma hasn't been anything special this year. He still is the leader of our Defense though, and i think trading him would be ridiculous

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
He hasn't played that well this year. Look at the stats, no Ints, no FFs, no FRs, no Sacks, no PDs. Granted i remember against Miami he was frequently pressuring Green and was close to some sacks. But Vilma has just been solid this year. I think this has alot more to do with the line then it does him, but it doesn't hide the fact that Vilma hasn't been anything special this year. He still is the leader of our Defense though, and i think trading him would be ridiculous
i have to agree. vilma has shown that he is making improvements in this defense, however much like ray lewis complained about a few years ago, i really beleive vilma's ability is being greatly hindered by the lack of our line. Now, i love drob but as much as i want to beleive it, he just isn't the new wave of athletic NTs. Maybe it isn't his size, but his strength. If someone can be his size and still maintain the point of attack than good for him, but the bigger he is the more he is going to get in the way of cutback lanes and such. They did do a decent job of keeping lynch from getting huge chunks of yards and over 100+, but a lot of that was becuase there were safeties and dbacks near the line of scrimmage. And from most of my buddies and girlfriend kept saying how bad our secondary was (yes she knows what a secondary is, ive taught her well! hah) which just shows how poor our pass rush is. After explaining to them how most good qbs if given time will shred a defense that isn't made up of 5 champ bailey, i realized we really cannot collapse a pocket with just our front 3 or 4. And ya, im not 100% sold on bob sutton either with the 3-4.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
i have to agree. vilma has shown that he is making improvements in this defense, however much like ray lewis complained about a few years ago, i really beleive vilma's ability is being greatly hindered by the lack of our line. Now, i love drob but as much as i want to beleive it, he just isn't the new wave of athletic NTs. Maybe it isn't his size, but his strength. If someone can be his size and still maintain the point of attack than good for him, but the bigger he is the more he is going to get in the way of cutback lanes and such. They did do a decent job of keeping lynch from getting huge chunks of yards and over 100+, but a lot of that was becuase there were safeties and dbacks near the line of scrimmage. And from most of my buddies and girlfriend kept saying how bad our secondary was (yes she knows what a secondary is, ive taught her well! hah) which just shows how poor our pass rush is. After explaining to them how most good qbs if given time will shred a defense that isn't made up of 5 champ bailey, i realized we really cannot collapse a pocket with just our front 3 or 4. And ya, im not 100% sold on bob sutton either with the 3-4.
Same thoughts over here. However, i think D-rob would be a good 3-4 DE, but in order to move him over we need to find a true NT, and true NT's are very hard to find. But that is our #1 need no doubt, 3-4 defenses revolve around the NT and it's no coincidence that SD, Pitt and NE have great D's and great NT's.

Sig by Me
Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i hope the giants lose so i wont get laughed at in school tomorrow
Old 09-30-2007, 10:39 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

i guess we're gonna get laughed at.....D'Brick vs. Osi is gonna be a marquee match-up next week, I'm kinda nervous for Chad's career, but at the same time maybe we could use a little Kellen Clemens in our lives

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback54milkman View Post
i guess we're gonna get laughed at.....D'Brick vs. Osi is gonna be a marquee match-up next week, I'm kinda nervous for Chad's career, but at the same time maybe we could use a little Kellen Clemens in our lives
Double Osi.

But then you have to deal with Kiwanuka.

Oh and don't forget about Tuck, who has been our most consistent DE this year.

Oh and Strahan, who has improved with each game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Giants are about as consistent as a Pee Wee football team...Yea they had 12 sacks but the Eagles were missing 6 starters and 5 pro bowlers. That's something you say ok we won move on not brag about that's like trying to say we beat a college team we the sh!t. We have to pla more consistent than a powder puff team to beat the Giants as we looked anything but sharp sunday...I did say "don't sleep on Trent Edwards he was my 3rd QB last year in the draft" We need to have some better offensive playcalling by Schottenheimer and need to utilize TJ more. McCareins also messed up the route at the end of the game and went 9 (deep) instead of 6 (a curl) LC did it too to Chad...both looked like awful throws but they were magnified by the fact that the WRs were in the wrong spots and Chad had to throw it too early bc he was being pressured.
The Defense looks AWFUL....Same blitzing packages, but they just seem to be eaten up at the line. I want a new DT OLB and #2 CB. A lot of improvements need to be made for this team to seem decent....

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Yaa the osi matchup is gonna be tough, but than again so is the matchup every weekend for him; jason taylor, jarvis green, schobel etc. Yes osi had 6 sacks, but he absolutely made winston justice look like a college player. Winston can't go one on one with Osi and it was magnified, however i feel dbrick is significantly better than justice and will do a better job. And once again i felt that our play calling was extremely bland and i hate the fact we dont seem to worry about scoring or seem in any bit of a hurry until the last 2 minutes of the halves. Mangini has said that it came down to the 2 minutes 10 games last year roughly, well maybe it is becuase we dont ever score consistently and are up by 2 tds at the half or the end. And when we do score almost frequently, our defense lets the other team do it to. It just seems we play to the level of our teams and just don't go all out every play. Now, this isn't everyone im just sayin i dont see the fire in everyone.
I also have a question; is the FO planning on using jacob bender for a RT or guard?

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Changing my username is in no way disrespect for the great Mangini... Unfortunately I'm OCD so it had to be changed. Wanna help rebuild my rep?!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I don't even know you anymore.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I don't even know you anymore.
i'm... so... sorry... all my usernames are timdris something and it all HAS to be the same.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

CannedToast hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Honestly, I'm so sick and tired of the 3-4 defense. It is the one *major* flaw with our team right now, and it could *so easily* be fixed. We have one player who is better in the 3-4, and arguably the rest are better in the 4-3 (not to mention Vilma, who I could almost guarantee would be a top 3 MLB by now if we stayed with the 4-3 the whole time). We can't stop the run (or rush the QB) because we simply do not have anyone to command a double team. Mangini, I love you, but seriously.

The way things are going, it will be another 2-3 years before we have the personnel in place to run the 3-4, and by then we're going to need another WR and a new franchise running back. Not to mention the fact that we need to address our O-Line pretty damn badly in the next few drafts and FA's.

Seriously, life would be so much easier if Mangini just admitted he was wrong, and went to the 4-3.
CannedToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

It's true, the 3-4 is extremely ineffective without the correct personnel

Sig by Me
Old 10-02-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

ive said this before in this thread, we have 2 (maybe 3) guys fit for the 3-4.... Thomas, Harris, and Coleman... Yet our top defenders are built for the 4-3 (Vilma, Robertson, Ellis, Hobson).. A switch to the 4-3 would help a lot with the run stopping and pass rushing (both have been ineffective)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

"The Jets mixed defensive fronts against the Bills, using four down linemen on 12 of the 27 first-half plays. But they used four linemen only three times in the second half, when the Bills scored all 17 of their points. The Bills averaged 6.2 yards a play against the four-man fronts. Against the three-man fronts, they averaged 5.5 yards."
granted the yardage could come to the safeties being up at the line of scrimmage, but it seems the overall consensus is that we are best suited for a 4-3. I dont mind running the 3-4, but mix it up and dont do it the majority until we have the personel.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

in order to do the 3-4 we NEED a dominant NT. i mean that position is the most important in the 3-4 because it is the anchor of the defense. robertson is a good DT but not a NT. without having a NT we should not be using the 3-4 the majority of the time.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought you guys would be the best people to ask, what is going on with Thomas Jones? I expected massive things from him this year, he was good last year with the Bears and i thought your O-Line was even better than theirs. Is it his calf, the O-Line or something else? Thanks for the help.

p.s Im a Steelers fan, and seems i know the 3-4 prety well, i can safely say, that this year your D' would be much better playing a base 4-3. You have to have a plugger as NT, and Robertson is more of a penetrator.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
I thought you guys would be the best people to ask, what is going on with Thomas Jones? I expected massive things from him this year, he was good last year with the Bears and i thought your O-Line was even better than theirs. Is it his calf, the O-Line or something else? Thanks for the help.

p.s Im a Steelers fan, and seems i know the 3-4 prety well, i can safely say, that this year your D' would be much better playing a base 4-3. You have to have a plugger as NT, and Robertson is more of a penetrator.
I would say it is mostly the line not consistently opening up holes and possibly play calling? I really think that the idea for bringing him here would be to open up the play-action that pennington runs second to only peyton manning in my eyes. THe problem is, we havn't run the ball or passed the ball extremely well on a consistent basis, so the defense doesn't really have to key in on anything. As of now I would say the opposing defenses dont have to game plan around one particular aspect of our game and until we are consistently hurting teams with a particular part of our offense it is going to stay that way.
As for your assesment of our defense, i would say a large group of us would 100% agree. Although I would like to think that the coaches know more about football than us and wouldn't do anything stupid just to fuel their ego.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think another major problem with Thomas Jones and our passing game as well is our inability to get the ball downfield. Teams are able to stack the box to stop the run and have more defenders in the area of our where our short passes are going to go, because they don't fear us going over the top and getting a big play. It hurts both the pass and run game, the only reason we're able to pass the ball is because Pennington is unbelievably accurate, and even so our receivers often get hit hard after making catches because defenders can anticipate the short passes.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cheers for the info man, Good luck against the G-Men.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I was upset to learn that coleman's head injury was updated to a concussion. However, I am looking forward to see what Eric smith can do if he does indeed start. From everything that I heard during preseason, he had the starting job all but locked up until he hurt his hammy.

I know he's been doing some ST and whatnot, but is his hammy 100% and if it has been why hasn't he been starting? Is it cause he missed too much practice or what?

and in unrelated jets news. if you guys love guitar, check out duane allman's multiple solos on derek and the domninoes, they'll change your life hah.

Last edited by BroadwayJoe10 : 10-05-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

We need to beat the Gmen today. I live in NJ so i hear so much from Giants fans, and today better be the day where they all shut up. I have a bunch of money plus a week straight of jersey bets (if gmen win i have to wear giants jerseys to school for a week), so the Jets better come out on top.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

we just flat out are not going to win games when pennington makes careless errors like that. This is the 2nd week in a row he pretty much gave the game away towards the end. He makes nice plays and calls throughout the game, then it seems at some points you just can't fahtom what he just did. Now, I love chad, always have but 2:5 td:int ratio the last two game is unacceptable. Especially since they were two very winnable games. Now, I'm not hating on chad becuase we lost, I just hate seeing these turnoevers late in the game that we can't come back from. I feel that Clemens deserves his shot now that we are 1-4.

Some good things however; Dbrick and the line played pretty well against a giants team that had double digit sacks in the last game. Up until that last sack where osi hurt himself, dbrick looked good against him. I did like seeing chris baker being more involved in the pass game, he has terrific hands.

This is the 2nd straight week where chad took a hit after he released the ball, and you know if that was on Tom brady it would have been called in a second. There was no excuse for a no-call considering it was right in front of the ref. Oh well, I will be looking forward to hearing what everyone else thought about the game.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

21 unanswered points? Give me a break

After Eli's interception, weren't we on the 30 with around 35 seconds left? How come we didn't take a shot at 6? I think we had at least one TO.

Nugent has to get his act together. It was nice to see him make that last one (barely), but these are really costing us. Last week, we could have been driving for the win not the tie.

Pennington's play has really declined these last two weeks. Last week wasn't terrible but his turnovers are killing us. The first and 3rd picks were not nearly as bad as that second pick.

EDIT: Also, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't really worried at all with the loss of Miller when it happened and am not worried at all now.

Defense had a few big stops, especially giving us an opportunity on that last drive before the 3rd INT, but they seemed like they could not stop the Giants offense. Giants first possession in the second half, they scored in like 8 plays.

Last edited by AlexDown : 10-07-2007 at 03:37 PM.
AlexDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can't believe how much this team has regressed from last year. Last year this kind of game would've been in the bag at half-time. I'm already starting to lose faith in Mangini. Going by last year, games like this would never have even been imagined.

I certainly didn't expect this team to win very much this year, but to lose like this is just ridiculous.