Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah and on offense be more physical. You saw Rice and how treated Jenkins.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Yeah and on offense be more physical. You saw Rice and how treated Jenkins.
Maclin had a similar game, obviously he didn't have 3 touchdowns but he had more catches and more yards, give Maclin time and he will become a receiver who can be physical like Rice, he doesn't have those extra 4 inches that Rice has but he weighs the same and is a tad bit more athletic (he tested a little better at the combine).

I think people sleep on Maclin thinking he can't be physical but he can be, he is extremely good at running after the catch and against the Cowboys he showed a ton of fight, stiff arming Ken Hamlin out of bounds and shoving Mike Jenkins into Jason Peters. He can be physical and I hope that he plays motivated all the time like he did against the Cowboys because he looked amazing.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

What would you guys think if the Eagles signed Richard Seymour or Julius Peppers? They should have the cap space to get it done and both would definitely change things, Peppers could play LE, joker LB anything in the front 7 he would be a crazy weapon to have and Richard Seymour can play any spot on the defensive line and we saw first hand what he did to our line a few weeks back.

The Eagles need to upgrade the defensive line and my plan is sign a big FA, draft someone early, cut Trevor Laws, draft a pass rusher at DT and finally play Antonio Dixon way more often, that guy was the Eagles best DT in the Cowboys games the UDFA outplayed the two studs.
I dont think our chances are too good. As I look at it right now, our depth chart on the dline is too crowded as is. We have sooo many bodies, but no one is producing ****. We're getting above average play out of some people though.

If I had my choice I would get Peppers, but our LDE is so crowded with Abiramiri, Parker, and Howard. Seymour would be the more useful of the two and he would play DT for us.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing is that both are older guys heading into the latter part of their careers and those aren't the type of guys the Eagles typically bring in as free agents.

But I do think that the depth is insane but like you said no one is producing, the Eagles need to cut the dead weight which means we have got to get rid of Jason Babin, Chris Clemons, Darren Howard, Victor Abiamiri and Trevor Laws. Personally I like Chris Clemons and he flashes from time to time so I would keep him and Abiamiri is a good run stuffer at the LE spot and he is a decent situational UT so he is a good player to have, so I would say bye to Babin, Howard who is older and eats up cap space and Laws who hasn't done jack squat in his two seasons in the NFL and has even been overtaken by Antonio Dixon for the 3rd DT spot.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cuts/Not Re-Signed
-Jason Babin, played well last year but the roster is too crowded for him.
-Michael Vick, no reason for the Eagles to take the 2nd year option. Best for both parties IMO
-Alex Smith, didn't do much in his opportunities.
-Chris Gocong, he has been outplayed by Moise Fokou, a 7th round pick.
-Reggie Brown or Kevin Curtis, one of them has to go, I'm not sure which one the franchise is more comfortable with.
-Sav Rocca, too much inconsistency.
-Sean Jones, had an alright season, too expensive for poor production
-Joe Mays, this year was his opportunity and he squandered it.
-Omar Gaither, should get a 3rd round tender but he will probably get signed by some team

Signings/Re-Signings
-Leonard Weaver, made the ProBowl, what else is there to say?
-Antonio Dixon, showed some promise against the Cowboys
-Ellis Hobbs, needed for depth
-Max Jean Gilles, he could start somewhere else but I hope we keep him
-Jason Avant, best hands on the team, 3rd down machine
-Akeem Jordan, one of our better LB's on the team

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Brandon Manumaleuna is going to be an FA this offseason. I'm not sure if that is true with the whole cap situation though. I've seen a couple Chargers games, and I've always liked this guy. He is a good blocker and seemed like a good receiving threat. I would love to get rid of Alex Smith for this guy. This is also some security if Cornelius Ingram doesn't come back from his injury like anticipated.

I would also like to see us go after a LB in FA. Its going to be a very confusing offseason though. I think there will be a lot of them available. Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Karlos Dansby are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Draft
1) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (Backup pick: Brandon Spikes, MLB, UF)
2) Daryl Washington, LB, TCU (Backup pick: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss)
3a) Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU (Backup pick: Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri)
3b) JD Walton, C, Baylor
4a) Morgan Burnett, S, GT
4b) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
6) Jon Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
7) Brandon James, RS, Florida

Like I've said before, we should trade out of the 1st and gain some extra picks. We could nab a lot of quality players this year. I think some of our main priorities are DE, LB, C, CB, FS, DT, big target type WR and P.

Last edited by superman8456 : 01-18-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
1) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Jizz in mah pantz!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

We might not have to worry about what is done with Brian Westbrook who according to sources is close to retiring. According to Howard Eskin, Westbrook's left knee is so bad that he wouldn't be able to pass a physical for another team even if he does get cut or traded and he says that there is "almost no chance" he returns to the Eagles. What a shame to see such a great career end like this and I wish the Eagles could've at least gotten him a ring, Westbrook might have to call it quits just 544 yards from holding the franchise rushing record a number he would've topped this season if he had remained healthy.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Free Agency:
Ryan Clark S Steelers- A veteran at FS who has proven his worth in a blitz heavy scheme in Pittsburgh.
Angelo Crowell LB Buccaneers- Is a decent SLB who is agile and quick but he missed the entire season with an injury.
Tony Pashos RT San Francisco 49ers- Once regarded as an underrated RT he was released by the Jaguars to make room for Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton. He is still a big body at RT who is a good enough in the pass game and gets a solid push in the run game.

Resign:
Akeem Jordan- He was a good WLB but he is a very bad MLB and I think Sean McDermott needs to realize that, he is not a MLB at all and is best at WLB where he can run in space and use his athletic ability which is very good. Plus he is a good special teams player. Plus he is a RFA so he is basically a lock to be back.

Alex Smith- Is a solid #2 TE who can go out and catch passes and he is surprisingly a good blocker, I think the Eagles keep him around just in case Cornelius Ingram can’t go and because he really is solid depth.

Martin Rucker- Andy Reid supposedly really likes Rucker because he is a big target at TE (He is 6’5”) and he can really run, Andy will keep him around and have a new toy to tinker with on offense, Andy will have fun with an athlete at TE.

Nick Cole- Very solid depth, has started for the better portion of 2 seasons and has done it at 3 different spots and is a very capable fill in at all of them. Why would Andy let that kind of stability go?

Leonard Weaver- There are reports that say there is a mutual interest in a long term deal and I believe it, Weaver has had a career year and the Eagles finally have a real FB. He made the pro-bowl and figures to go there for years to come if he performs as well as he has this season.

Antonio Dixon- What a steal, he was cut by the Redskins and was picked up by the Eagles shortly, he entered the rotation immediately taking snaps in week 1 and has really improved every week. He is the big guy the Eagles need in the middle and he might even develop into a starter, the knock on him was that the light never went on for him but it has turned on and he is overtaken Trevor Laws as the third DT.

Eldra Buckley- He runs hard, as hard as anyone I’ve ever seen sure he won’t light the world on fire but I can respect this guy, he does it all he is a blocker on special teams and you often see him directing the eager returners to take a knee when they’re backed in the end zone and you always see him flying up field whether he is covering kicks or punts. The guy is one of my favorites on the team, he tries really hard, plays smart and he provides value in short yardage situations. Plus did you see that block he threw? The guy plays like a human missile.

Let Walk:
Max Jean-Giles- Sure he is nice depth but he didn’t play well last season.

Chris Gocong- Benched for a 7th round rookie, I think it is safe to say he is as good as gone.

Geoffrey Pope- Who? The Eagles picked him up from the Bengals practice squad a couple months back and that is the last you’ll hear of him unless you read the transaction wire when you read “The Eagles let Geoffrey Pope leave.”

Jason Babin- Nice story, nice guy, great effort and had a nice little run in the middle of the season where he had 3 sacks in 3 games but other than that he has been ineffective as teams learned how the Eagles used him and he was used less and less late in the season in favor of the underachieving Chris Clemons.

Omar Gaither- Bye Gaither, you did well but you are in the dog house and with the emergence of Akeem Jordan, the trade for Will Witherspoon and the return of Stewart Bradley you have no role on the team.

Sean Jones- after being benched for Macho Harris he was promoted to starter, started hot against the Giants making a bunch of tackles but then just one week later he was exposed by the Cowboys, he is a decent player but not what Sean McDermott wants in the secondary because he was benched again in favor of Macho Harris after more than his share of mishaps in pass coverage.

Jeremiah Trotter- Was this anything more than a one and done deal? It was fun while it lasted, especially when he played his heart out against the Cowboys but he is finished.

Cuts:
Kevin Curtis- Has fizzled and has lost the starting X spot to Jeremy Maclin and the spot he figured to move to he slot has been filled by Jason Avant, he has no role and no value to this team. Plus he is behind Reggie Brown because Reggie plays special teams.

Trevor Laws- What the hell happened? This guy was supposed to be good. He has now been overtaken by UDFA Antonio Dixon and is a regular healthy scratch, he is as good as gone now.

Shawn Andrews- Waste of money and time, the guy isn’t ever going to be what he was and the Eagles need to stop relying on him because if he has proved anything it is that he is unreliable.

Stacy Andrews- He was brought in to shore up the RG spot with Shawn moving to RT and what does he do? Absolutely nothing. He is also a colossal waste of money and with no cap there is no better time to rid the Eagles of him so that there are no repercussions and even if the cap does come back, he has an opt out option for the Eagles who can cut him without any major cap hits.

Darren Howard- He is a waste of money, he had one good season and that is it and he is now aging and becoming even more ineffective. Cutting him would open nearly 5 million in cap space, his job is done equally as well by Victor Abiamiri.

Trades:
The Eagles trade Michael Vick to the Rams for a 5th round pick
-Vick isn’t worth much on the market, he showed flashes towards the end of the season so at least he is worth something but Vick is still an enigma that no one is going to give up a bunch of picks for, he goes to the Rams who run the same offense as the Eagles, plus they need a QB because they picked Ndamukong Suh with their first pick.

Draft:
Trade: Eagles trade the 24th pick and 158th pick (5th round) to the Jets for the 29th pick and the 93rd pick (3rd round).

1st (New York Jets)- Maurkice Pouncey OL Florida- The Eagles need to improve the interior of the offensive line, simple as that. Shawn Andrews really messed things up and created a hole at RG that really hampered the Eagles run game all season, but the Eagles survived without him running behind more athletic tackles and one of the more underrated guards in football, Todd Herramens. Finally against the Broncos the glue of the offensive line Jamaal Jackson tore his ACL and was lost for the year. So why are the Eagles drafting Pouncey? Well Jamaal Jackson is going to be 30 years old, he just tore his ACL and he weighs 330+ pounds, that knee isn’t ever going to be the same and we don’t even know if Jamaal will be ready for training camp much less the season, that knee is going to cause problems. And we all saw the importance of a good center, McNabb fumbled 2 snaps against the Cowboys because he wasn’t familiar with the center who was snapping, McNabb never looked comfortable in the pocket, there was no push up the middle in the run game etc. etc. and missing Jamaal Jackson really disrupted the offense’s rhythm, that can’t happen again.
Pouncey is a center who is the total package, he has the size at 6’5” and 320 pounds. He was overwhelming tackles in college and he was consistently going against NFL caliber/sized players in the SEC, he has the feet to mirror any defensive tackle in the game. Pouncey is the center prospect of the decade, he is better than Nick Mangold, Chris Spencer and Alex Mack all of whom were drafted in the first round. Plus he offers some versatility, he has the size and power to play OG very well and he has the feet and athleticism to play RT if needed. So, if and when Jamaal Jackson finally comes back Pouncey isn’t wasted, instead he can move to RG and be an improvement over Nick Cole. Pouncey was the best offensive lineman on an offensive line that paved the way for one of the top passing and running offenses at the college level, playing a key part in an offensive line that allowed Tim Tebow to become quite possibly one of the greatest college football players in the history of the game.

2nd- Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- The Eagles need a pass rush and at this point you have to take whatever you can get. Greg Hardy is a fantastic talent, a guy who was born to play the DE position but he has serious injury problems and the Eagles are taking a substantial risk on Hardy. When he was healthy Hardy was generally regarded as one of the top pass rushers in the college game with his combination of size, quickness and power. Hardy has the ability to be the LE the Eagles have been looking for but can he stay healthy and can he stay motivated? If he can watch out, this is a move that is high risk, high reward and is the definition of boom or bust.

3rd (Seattle)- Devin McCourty CB Rutgers- McCourty developed into a shut down corner in his last year at Rutgers with QBs simply avoiding his side of the field. He is a very well rounded corner who can come in and play the nickel spot right away, he is a very intelligent corner who doesn’t bite on double moves to try and make the big play like other Eagles corners do. McCourty is also a good run defender which is surprising for a man of his stature, he is a very aggressive run defender who will chase down plays from the opposite side of the field and he never quits on a play, he is also strong and has good tackling technique rarely missing a tackle even against more elusive players. McCourty is also a very well rounded player in coverage who can play in both man and zone schemes. Devin also figures to be a good special teamer which is part of the reason why he is brought in, with his speed and tackling he should be very good at covering kick and punt returns.

3rd- O’Brien Schofield DE Wisconsin- Like I said earlier the Eagles need a pass rush and they need to draft any lineman who can give it to them, regardless of size or position. Schofield is a guy who can provide instantaneous pass rush with his quickness and speed. The Eagles have a guy in Victor Abiamiri who can play the running downs at LE so the Eagles have at least a little flexibility at the DE spot where they can take a situational pass rusher like Schofield. He can be a scary weapon in the Eagles defense, he has the quickness to play the joker LB role and can really line up anywhere in a formation and cause havoc and Sean McDermott should really get creative with a player like Schofield. Schofield racked up 12 sacks, 8 QB hurries and 24.5 tackles for a loss in his senior season, he is however a big liability in the run game and will have to be coached up and bulked up if that is going to change.

3rd (New York Jets)- Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee- Westbrook retires and while the Eagles are convinced they have their starter already in hand with Shady McCoy, however, depth is needed. The Eagles are looking for a pick and they see Hardesty who reminds them of Correll Buckhalter. He is sort of the anti- LeSean McCoy, LeSean prefers to dance and be elusive, Hardesty prefers to run straight ahead, LeSean McCoy carries the ball loosely and has fumble problems and Hardesty has never fumbled in college, yes you read that right NEVER FUMBLED the ball. He is a nice fit in the Eagles system because he is a good receiver as well and a decent blocker. He is the perfect complement to LeSean McCoy and should be a nice change of pace back, a guy to power the football when LeSean McCoy leaves the field. Also he helps put a bit of a punch back in the short yardage situations which the Eagles can still improve on, instead of handing it to Weaver the Eagles can now hand it to Hardesty and he can run behind Leonard Weaver who is a good lead blocker.

4th- Devin Ross CB Arizona- The Eagles still need corner help, Asante Samuel is closing in on 30, Joselio Hanson is closing in on 30 and Sheldon Brown is on the wrong side of 30. Ross is a corner who is still getting better, he is smaller at 5’10” and 175 pounds but he is quick and pesky and can stick with his man in coverage very well. He also has the ability to handle zone coverage. He has great closing speed and can really stop on a dime and break on the ball. Also one of the main reasons the Eagles draft him is because he looks like a special teams ace, he can return kicks, he is very elusive and quick and he averaged about 21 yards a kick and with some more coaching he could be much better. Also he is one of the best special teams gunners in college football which makes him intriguing to special teams guru Bobby April who is getting the talent he wants with McCourty and Ross. Devin Ross was abused in his bowl game but that was due to terrible field conditions.

4th (New York Jets)- Shay Hodge WR Ole Miss- Hodge might never be a stud but he is solid, he is a bit bigger at 6’1” and 210 pounds and he is fairly fast with 4.5 speed. He has great hands and doesn’t drop passes often. And there are absolutely no character concerns with Hodge and he doesn’t even have an injury history. The Eagles just grabbed a rock solid depth player with potential to play a Jason Avant type role on the team.

5th (St. Louis)- Brandon James RB Florida- The Eagles need some serious help on kick returns, this played a huge role against the Cowboys, the Eagles in 2 games didn’t start one drive outside their own 20 and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the kick returners couldn’t get anything going. Brandon James is one of the most cerebral returners in recent college history who in 4 years racked up over 4,000 return yards and 5 touchdowns. This is another one of Bobby April’s targets and hopefully he can be an impact return man for the Eagles. Also he can be dangerous on offense, in Andy Reid’s offense one that gets running backs into open spaces quite often James could be scary especially in the screen game where James could use his lightning quick speed and elusiveness to make some serious plays. He is definitely never going to be an every down player, just another gadget on offense and a weapon on special teams.

6th (Indianapolis)- Zoltan Mesko P Michigan- The Eagles were thoroughly dominated in the field position battle against the Cowboys and Sav Rocca didn’t help a bit. Plus Sav Rocca shanks way more than he should, he’ll give you a great punt and then next time out he will shank the thing 30 yards and out of bounds at the 50 or something like that. Mesko averaged about 45 yards a punt in his senior year and he has a career average of 42 yards.

7th (Comp.)- Keaton Kristick LB Oregon State- Widely regarded as the meanest, most aggressive player in the Pac-10. He is smaller and not overly quick at 6’3” and 230 pounds with 4.7 speed but no one will ever say he doesn’t try hard. At this point in the draft Bobby April had his choice of special teamers and he thinks that with Kritick’s attitude he could be a good special teamer.

7th (Comp.)- David Gettis WR Baylor- The Eagles take a page out of the Cowboys book on this one, draft a physically talented WR late and develop him into a stud receiver, the Cowboys have done this numerous times with Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton and now Kevin Ogletree and its time for the Eagles to do the same. David Gettis is a 6’4” 215 pound WR target who is a track star and figures to run a high 4.3 or 4.4 at the combine. Gettis is a world class leaper as well, he has the frame of Randy Moss and all he has to do is develop as a receiver to hopefully evoke some images of Randy Moss. He can at least provide value as a deep threat in the Eagles new found love with the deep ball right off the bat and with his speed he is worth a shot at kick returner.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Quote:
Draft:
Trade: Eagles trade the 24th pick and 158th pick (5th round) to the Jets for the 29th pick and the 93rd pick (3rd round).
Like the fact that we traded, but I would prefer to move down farther or get a pick for next year.

1st (New York Jets)- Maurkice Pouncey OL Florida- The Eagles need to improve the interior of the offensive line, simple as that. Shawn Andrews really messed things up and created a hole at RG that really hampered the Eagles run game all season, but the Eagles survived without him running behind more athletic tackles and one of the more underrated guards in football, Todd Herramens. Finally against the Broncos the glue of the offensive line Jamaal Jackson tore his ACL and was lost for the year. So why are the Eagles drafting Pouncey? Well Jamaal Jackson is going to be 30 years old, he just tore his ACL and he weighs 330+ pounds, that knee isn’t ever going to be the same and we don’t even know if Jamaal will be ready for training camp much less the season, that knee is going to cause problems. And we all saw the importance of a good center, McNabb fumbled 2 snaps against the Cowboys because he wasn’t familiar with the center who was snapping, McNabb never looked comfortable in the pocket, there was no push up the middle in the run game etc. etc. and missing Jamaal Jackson really disrupted the offense’s rhythm, that can’t happen again.
Pouncey is a center who is the total package, he has the size at 6’5” and 320 pounds. He was overwhelming tackles in college and he was consistently going against NFL caliber/sized players in the SEC, he has the feet to mirror any defensive tackle in the game. Pouncey is the center prospect of the decade, he is better than Nick Mangold, Chris Spencer and Alex Mack all of whom were drafted in the first round. Plus he offers some versatility, he has the size and power to play OG very well and he has the feet and athleticism to play RT if needed. So, if and when Jamaal Jackson finally comes back Pouncey isn’t wasted, instead he can move to RG and be an improvement over Nick Cole. Pouncey was the best offensive lineman on an offensive line that paved the way for one of the top passing and running offenses at the college level, playing a key part in an offensive line that allowed Tim Tebow to become quite possibly one of the greatest college football players in the history of the game.
Good player and there is a definite need. I'm kind of wondering why we use such a high pick on him though. I agree he has versatility which will bring him up draft boards, but he is still a mid 2nd type player. This pick would be better used on Mike Iupati for interior line help.

2nd- Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- The Eagles need a pass rush and at this point you have to take whatever you can get. Greg Hardy is a fantastic talent, a guy who was born to play the DE position but he has serious injury problems and the Eagles are taking a substantial risk on Hardy. When he was healthy Hardy was generally regarded as one of the top pass rushers in the college game with his combination of size, quickness and power. Hardy has the ability to be the LE the Eagles have been looking for but can he stay healthy and can he stay motivated? If he can watch out, this is a move that is high risk, high reward and is the definition of boom or bust.
Abiramiri's biggest problem is he cant stay healthy long enough to make an impact. Im not a fan of Hardy at all, so maybe its just my bias, but this guy is falling down draft boards. I wouldnt complain that much because of the need, but I would be a little disappointed.

3rd (Seattle)- Devin McCourty CB Rutgers- McCourty developed into a shut down corner in his last year at Rutgers with QBs simply avoiding his side of the field. He is a very well rounded corner who can come in and play the nickel spot right away, he is a very intelligent corner who doesn’t bite on double moves to try and make the big play like other Eagles corners do. McCourty is also a good run defender which is surprising for a man of his stature, he is a very aggressive run defender who will chase down plays from the opposite side of the field and he never quits on a play, he is also strong and has good tackling technique rarely missing a tackle even against more elusive players. McCourty is also a very well rounded player in coverage who can play in both man and zone schemes. Devin also figures to be a good special teamer which is part of the reason why he is brought in, with his speed and tackling he should be very good at covering kick and punt returns.
I think this depends on if we get Ellis Hobbs back or not. I would prefer a FS in this area because it's a deep class.

3rd- O’Brien Schofield DE Wisconsin- Like I said earlier the Eagles need a pass rush and they need to draft any lineman who can give it to them, regardless of size or position. Schofield is a guy who can provide instantaneous pass rush with his quickness and speed. The Eagles have a guy in Victor Abiamiri who can play the running downs at LE so the Eagles have at least a little flexibility at the DE spot where they can take a situational pass rusher like Schofield. He can be a scary weapon in the Eagles defense, he has the quickness to play the joker LB role and can really line up anywhere in a formation and cause havoc and Sean McDermott should really get creative with a player like Schofield. Schofield racked up 12 sacks, 8 QB hurries and 24.5 tackles for a loss in his senior season, he is however a big liability in the run game and will have to be coached up and bulked up if that is going to change.
If Corey Wootton is still on the board, I would prefer him, but I dont mind this pick. Also, DT could be a possibility here.

3rd (New York Jets)- Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee- Westbrook retires and while the Eagles are convinced they have their starter already in hand with Shady McCoy, however, depth is needed. The Eagles are looking for a pick and they see Hardesty who reminds them of Correll Buckhalter. He is sort of the anti- LeSean McCoy, LeSean prefers to dance and be elusive, Hardesty prefers to run straight ahead, LeSean McCoy carries the ball loosely and has fumble problems and Hardesty has never fumbled in college, yes you read that right NEVER FUMBLED the ball. He is a nice fit in the Eagles system because he is a good receiver as well and a decent blocker. He is the perfect complement to LeSean McCoy and should be a nice change of pace back, a guy to power the football when LeSean McCoy leaves the field. Also he helps put a bit of a punch back in the short yardage situations which the Eagles can still improve on, instead of handing it to Weaver the Eagles can now hand it to Hardesty and he can run behind Leonard Weaver who is a good lead blocker.
My RB pick would be Ryan Matthews out of Fresno State. Hardesty just came off a nice season though.

4th- Devin Ross CB Arizona- The Eagles still need corner help, Asante Samuel is closing in on 30, Joselio Hanson is closing in on 30 and Sheldon Brown is on the wrong side of 30. Ross is a corner who is still getting better, he is smaller at 5’10” and 175 pounds but he is quick and pesky and can stick with his man in coverage very well. He also has the ability to handle zone coverage. He has great closing speed and can really stop on a dime and break on the ball. Also one of the main reasons the Eagles draft him is because he looks like a special teams ace, he can return kicks, he is very elusive and quick and he averaged about 21 yards a kick and with some more coaching he could be much better. Also he is one of the best special teams gunners in college football which makes him intriguing to special teams guru Bobby April who is getting the talent he wants with McCourty and Ross. Devin Ross was abused in his bowl game but that was due to terrible field conditions.
Dont know much about this guy, so I wont complain.

4th (New York Jets)- Shay Hodge WR Ole Miss- Hodge might never be a stud but he is solid, he is a bit bigger at 6’1” and 210 pounds and he is fairly fast with 4.5 speed. He has great hands and doesn’t drop passes often. And there are absolutely no character concerns with Hodge and he doesn’t even have an injury history. The Eagles just grabbed a rock solid depth player with potential to play a Jason Avant type role on the team.
Problem with our WR corp is that we have 5 guys who bring the same element to the game. We need that 6'3+ guy that can climb the ladder, much like a Vincent Jackson. I think our offense is very similar to the San Diego Chargers.

5th (St. Louis)- Brandon James RB Florida- The Eagles need some serious help on kick returns, this played a huge role against the Cowboys, the Eagles in 2 games didn’t start one drive outside their own 20 and a lot of that had to do with the fact that the kick returners couldn’t get anything going. Brandon James is one of the most cerebral returners in recent college history who in 4 years racked up over 4,000 return yards and 5 touchdowns. This is another one of Bobby April’s targets and hopefully he can be an impact return man for the Eagles. Also he can be dangerous on offense, in Andy Reid’s offense one that gets running backs into open spaces quite often James could be scary especially in the screen game where James could use his lightning quick speed and elusiveness to make some serious plays. He is definitely never going to be an every down player, just another gadget on offense and a weapon on special teams.
I LOVE this pick.

6th (Indianapolis)- Zoltan Mesko P Michigan- The Eagles were thoroughly dominated in the field position battle against the Cowboys and Sav Rocca didn’t help a bit. Plus Sav Rocca shanks way more than he should, he’ll give you a great punt and then next time out he will shank the thing 30 yards and out of bounds at the 50 or something like that. Mesko averaged about 45 yards a punt in his senior year and he has a career average of 42 yards.
Another great pick.

7th (Comp.)- Keaton Kristick LB Oregon State- Widely regarded as the meanest, most aggressive player in the Pac-10. He is smaller and not overly quick at 6’3” and 230 pounds with 4.7 speed but no one will ever say he doesn’t try hard. At this point in the draft Bobby April had his choice of special teamers and he thinks that with Kritick’s attitude he could be a good special teamer.
I dont mind taking a flyer on him and seeing what happens.

7th (Comp.)- David Gettis WR Baylor- The Eagles take a page out of the Cowboys book on this one, draft a physically talented WR late and develop him into a stud receiver, the Cowboys have done this numerous times with Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton and now Kevin Ogletree and its time for the Eagles to do the same. David Gettis is a 6’4” 215 pound WR target who is a track star and figures to run a high 4.3 or 4.4 at the combine. Gettis is a world class leaper as well, he has the frame of Randy Moss and all he has to do is develop as a receiver to hopefully evoke some images of Randy Moss. He can at least provide value as a deep threat in the Eagles new found love with the deep ball right off the bat and with his speed he is worth a shot at kick returner.
Good pick. Good reasoning behind it.
I dont agree with the Shawn Andrews cut, however. IMO you cant give up on an All-Pro after an injury. Granted, he hasn't played in a while and he might never comeback as the same player, but dont cut him just yet. If we were to get rid of him, at least try and get some value for him in a trade. I'm sure the Lions, Rams, or some other team would have interest in him.

Can we trade Michael Vick? I dont know much about contract issues, but isn't it a team option for the 2nd year? Doesn't that mean if we use that option we can't really trade him.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To bad Eagles don't need a WLB always could convert Rolle into one. Still could be a good late round pick.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Cuts/Not Re-Signed
-Jason Babin, played well last year but the roster is too crowded for him.
-Michael Vick, no reason for the Eagles to take the 2nd year option. Best for both parties IMO
-Alex Smith, didn't do much in his opportunities.
-Chris Gocong, he has been outplayed by Moise Fokou, a 7th round pick.
-Reggie Brown or Kevin Curtis, one of them has to go, I'm not sure which one the franchise is more comfortable with.
-Sav Rocca, too much inconsistency.
-Sean Jones, had an alright season, too expensive for poor production
-Joe Mays, this year was his opportunity and he squandered it.
-Omar Gaither, should get a 3rd round tender but he will probably get signed by some team

Signings/Re-Signings
-Leonard Weaver, made the ProBowl, what else is there to say?
-Antonio Dixon, showed some promise against the Cowboys
-Ellis Hobbs, needed for depth
-Max Jean Gilles, he could start somewhere else but I hope we keep him
-Jason Avant, best hands on the team, 3rd down machine
-Akeem Jordan, one of our better LB's on the team

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Brandon Manumaleuna is going to be an FA this offseason. I'm not sure if that is true with the whole cap situation though. I've seen a couple Chargers games, and I've always liked this guy. He is a good blocker and seemed like a good receiving threat. I would love to get rid of Alex Smith for this guy. This is also some security if Cornelius Ingram doesn't come back from his injury like anticipated.

I would also like to see us go after a LB in FA. Its going to be a very confusing offseason though. I think there will be a lot of them available. Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Karlos Dansby are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Draft
1) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (Backup pick: Brandon Spikes, MLB, UF)
2) Daryl Washington, LB, TCU (Backup pick: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss)
3a) Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU (Backup pick: Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri)
3b) JD Walton, C, Baylor
4a) Morgan Burnett, S, GT
6) Jon Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
7) Brandon James, RS, Florida

Like I've said before, we should trade out of the 1st and gain some extra picks. We could nab a lot of quality players this year. I think some of our main priorities are DE, LB, C, CB, FS, DT, big target type WR and P.
Alright Graham is alright, I like him for the intensity and hustle that he brings but I just don't see him ever beeing a special pass rusher, ever.
Washington is a good player that I REALLY like but I see no place for him on the Eagles, he is too small to play MLB in the Eagles scheme and the Eagles already have Akeeem Jordan, Will Witherspoon and Tracy White at that spot, great player but I don't think he can fit on the Eagles.
Robinson is questionable, I don't know if he'll be available at that point but while I do like his potential he was burnt all seasons and has bad balance which leads to separation by receivers.
The Eagles just signed a guy just like Walton, AQ Shipley from Penn St.
No way Burnett is there, that guy is a stud.
I like the last three picks.

Overall I like the positions addressed but I don't feel like the Eagles got anyone special out of the draft, solid players, intense and hardworking guys for the most part but I just don't think any of them could ever be pro-bowlers aside from Burnett who won't be there in round 4, he is likely a early-mid second round talent if not late first to the Steelers.

The only cut I don't like is Joe Mays who has developed into a good special teams player.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Agreed on Joe Mays special teams. He did good in the Cowboys game, but doesnt have the ability to give us meaningful snaps. Waste of a roster spot. Maybe practice squad.

New Mock
1) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2) Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
3a) Navorro Bowman, LB, PSU
3b) Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri
4a) Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
4b) Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke
5) Brandon James, RS, Florida
6) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

Didn't bother with the last two picks. Some of the players dropped that probably wont on draft day.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agreed on Joe Mays special teams. He did good in the Cowboys game, but doesnt have the ability to give us meaningful snaps. Waste of a roster spot. Maybe practice squad.

New Mock
1) Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2) Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
3a) Navorro Bowman, LB, PSU
3b) Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri
4a) Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
4b) Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke
5) Brandon James, RS, Florida
6) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan

Didn't bother with the last two picks. Some of the players dropped that probably wont on draft day.
The only way Bowman lasts until the third round is if he ***** up off the field again. I honestly think he will go late first...

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

The Eagles signed CFL Rookie of the Year Martell Mallett. He is 6' tall and 210 pounds and he has soft hands and runs hard, in his rookie season in the CFL he rushed for 1,280 yards, 6 Touchdowns on 214 carries and he added 43 receptions, 342 yards and 2 touchdowns receiving. Seems like a nice camp body with potential to me and that with some coaching he might be a nice fit within the scheme.

Also the Eagles worked out 3 running backs last week, he beat out DeDe Dorsey and some other UFL player. Does anyone else think this search for RB talent and depth might signify the end of Westbrook's career as an Eagle at least?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
The only way Bowman lasts until the third round is if he ***** up off the field again. I honestly think he will go late first...
Who cares? We don't need another WLB.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Who cares? We don't need another WLB.
He won't be an WLB in the NFL...
Old 01-20-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He won't be an WLB in the NFL...
He doesn't even weigh 230 pounds and he is generously listed at 6'1"... he is clearly a WLB.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Quote:
He doesn't even weigh 230 pounds and he is generously listed at 6'1"... he is clearly a WLB.
Good point, but Fokou was 223 lbs. at the combine and he is just a little over 6'1 as well. He since then has bulked up a little and became a starter as a 7th round draft pick. I have complete faith that Navorro Bowman can play SLB in the NFL. Of course he will have to bulk up a little bit, but his playing style is that of a SLB.

I'm all for having a big guy playing SLB, but we cant repeat having a 263 lb. LBer that cant cover.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

So Tom Heckert is left, who do you think his successor is or will we even find a replacement?

I'm somewhat concerned because I think he did an absolute fantastic job scouting and evaluating players. He brought in a ton of talent over the past couple of years.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't Howie Roseman his replacement? The dude is basically Joe Banner Jr. (and I don't mean that in a good way, just to clarify)
Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

A QB is going to be traded to the Rams. His name is...

Link

And another trade is rumored to be in the works, John Clayton says the Vikings are going to 'make a play' for McNabb if Favre goes and Clayton is very reliable.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Here come the changes!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...fast_rise.html

Quote:
"I think it's so early in the off-season to get into the draft," Roseman said. "Right now you're just looking at talent and trying to get your board right, trying to get your ducks in a row as you go through the off-season process. I don't think really you can put yourself in a position . . . where you limit yourself."

The Eagles spent the week after the season ended with the playoff loss in Dallas evaluating the entire team, both players and coaches. They took the next week off and starting this week began looking seriously at roster changes.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, we'd be stacked with draft picks if that happened. They'd definitely have to pick up a veteran QB to backup Kolb though as well as draft one in the late rounds.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Our QB depth would be pretty depleted if that happens. Hopefully Kolb wouldnt be injury prone.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
camp_eagles
Rookie

camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.

I love reading the comments on the eagles web site, they are so dumb. ex the eagles just signed some camp body FB and ppl are assuming that this means that weaver isnt going to be resigned. classic

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ
camp_eagles is offline   Reply With Quote