Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:01 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think were going to be able to get Brandon Graham anymore, so that leaves us with very few options. We could go Mike Iupati, Earl Thomas, or JPP in the 1st.

EDIT: Kyle Wilson just reminded me he's a beast.

Last edited by superman8456 : 02-02-2010 at 05:25 PM.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Iupati or Early Thomas would be awesome. Brandon Graham fits better in a 3-4 anyway.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd just like to say the Eagles are ********.

You all remember Corey Simon and Darwin Walker right? Two sack guys at DT. Well as we all sit here and complain about not having a DT that can rush the passer, what we didn't realize is that the Eagles scheme no longer calls for that. Pete Jenkins, you all remember him right? Yeah well he came in and established a TWO gap system on defense. Whats a two gap scheme? A two gap scheme is when a team typically has big defensive tackles and they take have to control two gaps and allow the linebackers to make plays.

So what are some teams that play two gap schemes? The New England Patriots do it, the Dolphins do it. The two gap scheme is a big 3-4 kind of thing, the NT in a 3-4 is a two gap player so guys like Vince Wilfork are the ideal 2 gap players.

So why are the Eagles ********? Well they run a two gap system with Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley. Brodrick Bunkley is an athletic marvel who should be set loose against opposing passing games, not looking to stuff the run first. Bunkley was actually one of the best pass rushing tackles in the nation way back in 2006 when he racked up 9 sacks and 25 TFL and then he ran a flat 5.0 at the combine while lifting 225 pounds 44 times, this guy should be let loose. And the year prior to that they drafted a guy nicknamed "Baby Sapp" who notched 21.5 sacks in his 4 years starting including a combined 13 in his Junior and Senior year and he had 36 tackles for a loss. See the problem? The Eagles are running a system typically used by teams with huge defensive tackles and the Eagles are running it with two guys who aren't 300 pounds, in fact I heard Brodrick Bunkley say he was in the 280 range a few years back in an interview. In addition they drafted Trevor Laws, another guy who is quick and should be in a 1 gap scheme.

The one guy who really fits the scheme is Antonio Dixon and there were times where he did look like the best tackle on the field, like the Dallas games.

Dumb. The Eagles need to revert back to the old 1 gap scheme and let Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley do what they do best which is get after the QB and then they can use Laws in a Sam Rayburn role and Dixon in a Hollis Thomas role.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Patterson is at least 320 now, I don't care what his bio says. He's a run stuffer now. I agree with you on Bunkley though.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
Mike Patterson is at least 320 now, I don't care what his bio says. He's a run stuffer now. I agree with you on Bunkley though.
Yeah, I kind of hoped nobody would call that.

But they made him into something he isn't he was 'Baby Sapp' not a two gap run stuffer and he is still fairly quick for a guy his size.

"Baby Sapp"

The Eagles Mike Patterson
Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Speaking of weight, the Eagles claim that LeSean McCoy weighs 210 pounds and that Macho Harris plays 195 pounds now.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles hire former Browns GM Phil Savage

http://www.icerocket.com/search?tab=...savage&x=0&y=0
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Eagles hire former Browns GM Phil Savage

http://www.icerocket.com/search?tab=...savage&x=0&y=0
He has quite the role to fill with a lot of players needing to be resigned, cut, trades, etc.

Number 1 priority is Leonard Weaver.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

He's not the primary GM, he's just a consultant.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

I am really liking all these veterans the Eagles are bringing in, the defense struggled to make key adjustments late and a lot of that was on Sean McDermott and his coaching staff, who if I remember correctly were all younger than 40. Now Dick Jauron comes in and while he ran a little cover-2 in Buffalo, he was a pure 4-3 guy in Green Bay. Jauron has head coaching and defensive coordinator experience and hopefully we can see a big improvement with a veteran on the coaching staff and with McDermott having a year under his belt.

Also I really like the Phil Savage hiring, he had issues in Cleveland but he didn't have much to work with and he was always looking to trade instead of draft because after his team went 10-6 and missed the playoffs he decided he needed veterans not rookies and then it turns out that Williams wasn't a 3-4 DE amongst other issues. But what we should realize is that he is a protege of Ozzie Newsome who is one of the absolute best in the business and in that time frame where the Ravens drafted players that went to something like 11 probowlers and likely 3 hall of famers in Jonathan Odgen, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. He has an eye for talent that much I can see, if you look at his drafts from 2005 and on for the Browns they were very solid with pro-bowlers like Braylon Edwards and Joe Thomas and other VERY solid players like Jerome Harrison, Brodney Pool, Lawrence Vickers, Leon Williams, D'Qwell Jackson, Kamerion Wimbley and Eric Wright just to name some of them and he had a very solid 2009 draft class. Keep in mind that he is only a consultant so he will help the two youngsters Howie Roseman and Ryan Grigson with the draft.

If there is one thing I like about Andy Reid it is that he runs his organization very well, specifically coaching, there is no seniority per say and he says that everyone has an equal say and I think that has a big part in why so many coaches like Andy Reid and why so many coaches who coached under Andy Reid have gone on to have success, they aren't kept quiet and held back and just told what to do, they actually have a say which is why I think that the guys who move on from the Eagles staff do have success because they aren't overwhelmed when they're put in a position of authority.

---------------------------------------------

Also I recall not a lot of you liking LeSean McCoy very much, and none of you ever said why. I don't know why you don't like him, he gets happy feet inside from time to time and he looks for big plays and loses yards rather than taking small gains but I don't think thats enough to say he isn't a future starter. He has feature back size at 5'10" and 210 pounds and he is quick, not especially fast but he has a second and third gear and he shifts gears up and down easily. He is elusive and has sick open field moves that can leave a guy behind or slow a defender down just enough. He is fantastic in the screen game just like Westbrook. His pass protection was questionable but to be fair he is still young and he did flash at times. And he can take contact, he isn't a bruiser by any means but he is slippery, guys kind of slide off of him at times. And he has tremendous balance in the run game, there were several instances where he maintained balance and gained extra yards, two examples that come to mind are the Chiefs TD and the Redskins 2 Point Conversion. I like him and feel like he is definitely the future of the RB on the Eagles and I am comfortable with him there. He holds the rookie rushing record and he averaged over 4 yards a carry despite not doing well in efforts he didn't start, in games he started he played very well.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Also I recall not a lot of you liking LeSean McCoy very much, and none of you ever said why. I don't know why you don't like him, he gets happy feet inside from time to time and he looks for big plays and loses yards rather than taking small gains but I don't think thats enough to say he isn't a future starter. He has feature back size at 5'10" and 210 pounds and he is quick, not especially fast but he has a second and third gear and he shifts gears up and down easily. He is elusive and has sick open field moves that can leave a guy behind or slow a defender down just enough. He is fantastic in the screen game just like Westbrook. His pass protection was questionable but to be fair he is still young and he did flash at times. And he can take contact, he isn't a bruiser by any means but he is slippery, guys kind of slide off of him at times. And he has tremendous balance in the run game, there were several instances where he maintained balance and gained extra yards, two examples that come to mind are the Chiefs TD and the Redskins 2 Point Conversion. I like him and feel like he is definitely the future of the RB on the Eagles and I am comfortable with him there. He holds the rookie rushing record and he averaged over 4 yards a carry despite not doing well in efforts he didn't start, in games he started he played very well.
I like McCoy, but I dont love him. He does a lot of things well, but nothing really great. He lacks the great speed to make him a gamebreaker or homerun threat and he isn't that big or that good of a runner between the tackles. His a good player, but he will never be a top 5 back in the NFL. He has some nice open field moves, but we've rarely seen him able to get in the open field last season. Only 3 or 4 instances pop up in my head of his ability to get in the open field.

His runnning style is hard to explain. I guess Thumper said it best with describing it as "slippery".
Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

It wasn't like Westbrook was a burner by any means either, he ran a 4.57 at the combine and LeSean McCoy ran a 4.5 and actually ran the first 10 and 20 yards faster than Westbrook did. He ran the 10 and 20 yards both .06 seconds faster and he ran the total 40 .07 seconds faster. I don't think speed is an issue, he isn't world class like CJ or Jamaal Charles but he is fast enough to get it done.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 PM    (permalink
camp_eagles
Rookie

camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.

Quote:
It wasn't like Westbrook was a burner by any means either, he ran a 4.57 at the combine and LeSean McCoy ran a 4.5 and actually ran the first 10 and 20 yards faster than Westbrook did. He ran the 10 and 20 yards both .06 seconds faster and he ran the total 40 .07 seconds faster. I don't think speed is an issue, he isn't world class like CJ or Jamaal Charles but he is fast enough to get it done.
I think I remember hearing that Buckhalter was faster than Westy. but straight line speed means nothing in football its all about your ability to maintain your speed in and out of cuts something Darren McFadden hasn't learned how to do yet.

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ
camp_eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp_eagles View Post
I think I remember hearing that Buckhalter was faster than Westy. but straight line speed means nothing in football its all about your ability to maintain your speed in and out of cuts something Darren McFadden hasn't learned how to do yet.
Darren McFadden also has the lower body of Desean Jackson... You hit him in the legs he goes down. I for one like Shady, but definitely think we need to get a good RB to pair with him.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Yeah I agree on the RB combo thing, Shady is a good player for longer downs because he will take a hole if its there and if it isn't he has the ability to create but when there is a tiny hole or when there is someone in the way, he refuses to plow forward for the easy yards for some reason and gets happy feet and I think a power guy is needed, Weaver was great but could you imagine having a power guy running behind Weaver? That would be better than having Weaver alone.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

I would love to draft a guy like Ben Tate or Montario Hardesty in the 3rd or 4th round and have a 3 headed monster with McCoy, Weaver and whoever we draft. Of course that would require a bigger commitment to the running game, which I don't see happening.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

LeGarrete Blount please. I think he would come cheap with our second 3rd round pick. Fits the bill of a big back that can give out a beating, but also has a little speed to him.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Rumors are all over the place!

Panthers Beat Writer, Darin Gantt said on a radio show (97.5 in Carolina) that the Eagles are the front runners for Julius Peppers. ESPN insider rumors also says the Eagles are frontrunners for the supremely talented defensive end. And a host of internet blogs cite the Eagles as a team that Julius Peppers would fit very well.

Also Michael Lombardi proposed an interesting scenario in the NationalFootballPost, he said the Eagles should trade Kevin Kolb for Shaun Rogers straight up.

Interesting Shaun Rogers was one of the best in the NFL when he was a 4-3 DT and he is arguably still one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL. Julius Peppers is the original athletic freak, he was the guy who Mario Williams, Jamaal Anderson and now Carlos Dunlap are trying to emulate.

Alot of this talk stems from a comment Joe Banner made to Dave Spadaro on the Eagles website in a segment called "From the President's Desk" where he said (direct quote) "“I don’t think the difference is as dramatic as one may think just looking at the scores of those two games, but there is a gap there. We have to figure out how to close that gap and be ready to go next year.” And where were the Eagles manhandled the most? The front seven, Bunkley and Patterson couldn't stop the run, Trent Cole was doubled both games and Jaqua Parker and Company at LE were completely ineffective.

Now more evidence pointing to dramatic moves is the fact that Joe Banner said prior to the season "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." so one would infer that he wants to change things.

Also, Andy Reid is closing in on the end of his second 5 year plan and when his first five year plan was coming to an end he went out and signed Jevon Kearse, Terell Owens and Hugh Douglas.

So watch out for BIG moves on the horizon, the Eagles feel pressure from the Phillies who are gaining on the Eagles in terms of being Philadelphia's favorite team, from the Cowboys who suddenly look like a juggernaut and the entire season Joe Banner has hinted at change.

What kind of change? That remains to be seen.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:

Now more evidence pointing to dramatic moves is the fact that Joe Banner said prior to the season "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." so one would infer that he wants to change things.
Didn't Albert Einstein say that? lol

Also, I would hate that Kolb-Rogers trade. Definitely don't see that happening.

Last edited by Go_Eagles77 : 02-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Go_Eagles77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Didn't Albert Einstein say that? lol
Yes he did but Joe Banner said the same thing leading into the season.

Right now, I don't know what the Eagles are doing, they could go with a win right now route and trade Kolb for a veteran player and go and get Peppers and if things work out like I depicted in the first post, the Eagles front 4 would look like Trent Cole- Shaun Rogers- Brodrick Bunkley- Julius Peppers, that would be better than the Vikings, but again the Rogers thing is just a theoretical situation from a guy with no inside knowledge.

OR the Eagles could say eff it and just get rid of McNabb who would be the 'same thing' in the Joe Banner/Albert Einstein quote and stock up draft picks since the reality of the situation is that Kevin Kolb wouldn't do as good in the 2010-2011 season and just grab a bunch of young talent who can take a year to develop and then the Eagles can come out even stronger in 2011-2012 much like the Packers did in 2008-2009 then to 2009-2010.

Who knows what kind of change is depicted, but honsetly I see changes on the horizon, big ones.

Last edited by Thumper : 02-10-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys don't need Shaun Rogers. Your DTs are studs. Complete studs.

Especially when you're giving up a guy who is most likely the qb of the future for your team for an old DT with attitude problems, old age, and fatigue issues.

No way.

Peppers, thats risky business. He definitely improves your team, but I just don't feel the guy is worth whatever price tag he'll generate. Getting Peppers probably gives the Eagles the best dline in the NFL though.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
camp_eagles
Rookie

camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.camp_eagles is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
LeGarrete Blount please. I think he would come cheap with our second 3rd round pick. Fits the bill of a big back that can give out a beating, but also has a little speed to him.
he sure can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTYiCqzpcw

Thanks Eaglez.Fan

For Everybody:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w5bk7S9z20A

R.I.P. JJ
camp_eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

Hmmmm....some interesting moves seem to be brewing.

I don't know how I feel about bringing in Julius Peppers. I think he is going to command a **** ton of money, something the franchise might have no problem doing, it's just so risky. Another thing is, I don't know how many years of solid production we can expect out of him, if we were to get him. Oh course I would welcome him with open arms, though.

I LOVE Shaun Rogers. He is a beast, and does well in a 34, but could flourish in our 43. I think he could provide the interior penetration that we need. The thing is I think the Browns still have some confidence in Brady Quinn and I'm not sure I wanna part ways with Kolb just yet. I think h

If we trade Kolb, we have to keep Vick for the future.

If we're in for 1 big FA signing, I think I would prefer Karlos Dansby than Peppers.

Last edited by superman8456 : 02-10-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

LB is probably the least important position in this scheme to be honest, the Eagles don't care about it all that much.

And plus a great LE can help cover up coverage issues so a big time LE could help mask Macho Harris and whoever starts at SLB which looks like it will be Moses Fokou at this point. Just look at the Vikings, fairly mediocre players all around that defense but the Williams Wall, Jared Allen and Ray Edwards really cover up that defense. Or look at the 2008 Superbowl Giants, they had mediocre players in the secondary and a combination of Tuck, Osi and Strahan covered that secondary up against the best pass attack ever. It doesn't matter who is covering downfield, if a QB has time he will find someone open no matter if you've got Revis and Aso at CB along with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu at safety, having a bad pass rush and a good secondary is like having great receivers and fielding a bad QB, just not sensible.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes please to Kolb for Rogers.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote