Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 AM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

twista6002 twista6002 twista6002 twista6002 twista6002

We didn't offer Burrell arbitration so now we don't get a draft pick. Amaro = tool of our cheap ownership.
twista6002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sucks, what would we have gotten for him? I don't follow baseball or its draft as much as I do football.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First rounder and a supplemental first. Pretty standard fare. The danger with offering arbitration is that he'd accept and would probably earn $12-15mm this year guaranteed when the team didn't want him.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

Hamels signed, but I wish Howard would cooperate. If we can lock him up for a reasonable price we should be set. I don't know who else is arbitration-eligible. Knock on wood, but if we need to make a big trade midseason we should have the money, and I know we have the prospects. I hear about Texas and the Yankees' farm ad nasium but as far as I'm concerned we have the best minor leaguers. Carrasco, Drabek, Marson, Brown, Taylor, Golson, Happ are all future stars.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
First rounder and a supplemental first. Pretty standard fare. The danger with offering arbitration is that he'd accept and would probably earn $12-15mm this year guaranteed when the team didn't want him.
In that case, I doubt anyone would have signed him if thats the case. It sucks now, but I understand teh move by the Phils.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Hamels signed, but I wish Howard would cooperate. If we can lock him up for a reasonable price we should be set. I don't know who else is arbitration-eligible. Knock on wood, but if we need to make a big trade midseason we should have the money, and I know we have the prospects. I hear about Texas and the Yankees' farm ad nasium but as far as I'm concerned we have the best minor leaguers. Carrasco, Drabek, Marson, Brown, Taylor, Golson, Happ are all future stars.
Agreed, we do have some sick prospects, and I can watch some of them almost whenever I want, I live 15 minute from the Phils AAA afiliate, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Agreed, we do have some sick prospects, and I can watch some of them almost whenever I want, I live 15 minute from the Phils AAA afiliate, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

You should go check out guys like Carrasco, Donald, etc because they might not be down there much longer. Plus, if I'm not mistaken a minor league ticket is a fraction as much as a major league ticket.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You should go check out guys like Carrasco, Donald, etc because they might not be down there much longer. Plus, if I'm not mistaken a minor league ticket is a fraction as much as a major league ticket.
Its cheaper depending on the the seat, of course, but not really as extreme as you'd think. I got similar seats going to a Iron Pigs and a Phils game, the seat was 10 bucks for the Pigs and 26 for the Phils, but i got the Phils ticket from a friend who got them on a discount, but he said it wasn't too much cheaper. A friend of mine works for a business that sponsors the Iron Pigs games, so every one in a while he'll bring a few guys along for a free game. I also live close enough to see the AA afiliate in Reading, but with AAA being a lot closer, we usually just stick closer to home.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I do plan on heading out there at least two or three times in the early part of the season, but I'm sure I will see a bunch of games this season in person. The games are on TV as well, but you can't beat the atmosphere of a real live game.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Minor League Baseball is the greatest form of baseball, outside of the MLBs obviously. I just love the laidback atmosphere, the closer proximity to the players, and the stadiums. For some reason, it seems kind-of throwback to me but then again, it may just be me.

Real quick, I live in South Jersey so I can hit up 7-8 Lakewood Blueclaws games and a couple Trenton Thunder games when Reading comes.

I'm not TOO high on any of the prospects outside of Carrasco, Donald, Drabek and of course, Sweet Lou Marson. Michael Taylor needs to give me another year of similar production, Dom Brown (disregarding what BA says) is far from a close to halfway finished product and Happ is a solid player. I would put him a notch ahead of Kendrick but a bit behind Carlos. High floor, low ceiling basically.

Keep your eyes peeled for Travis D'Arnaud (btw, just learned pronounced D'ARNO, not Dee-ar-nod; thought that was a fun fact) our supplemental pick from 2007. He's a catcher in Lakewood now and may take a few years but I love him. Sebastien Valle, 18-year old from GCL, has a lot of hype too but we'll see but with those three and Joel Naughton; we have a plethora of top-30 org. prospects who are catchers. That could lead to some nice trade bait.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I just read an article in this mornings paper about a few of the guys that will most likely be up in AAA. Lou Marson and Carlos Carrasco stick out of the bunch, and because of that, got most of the writing. Drabek will probably be in AA, I don't know why though. I haven't seen him play in person, but he is supposed to be coming along very well, but I don't know how far he has to go yet. But the AAA team looks like it will be pretty successful this year, as the talent in the organization has slowly made its way up to that level.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I just read an article in this mornings paper about a few of the guys that will most likely be up in AAA. Lou Marson and Carlos Carrasco stick out of the bunch, and because of that, got most of the writing. Drabek will probably be in AA, I don't know why though. I haven't seen him play in person, but he is supposed to be coming along very well, but I don't know how far he has to go yet. But the AAA team looks like it will be pretty successful this year, as the talent in the organization has slowly made its way up to that level.
I don't see any reason why Marson wouldn't be on the major league roster.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't see any reason why Marson wouldn't be on the major league roster.
Ruiz is on the Phils, they signed a guy from the pirates as the backup as well, lets not forget Chris Coste. I don't follow baseball like I do football though so I don't know how he is as a player. My newspaper expects him to be in AAA, but they are a horrible newspaper, so theyre probably wrong. You most likely know more about him than I or the newspaper combined, so I'll take your word on it, haha.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

Ruiz is nothing special and Coste is best served as a PH. Neither bring anything when it comes to defense. If Maron plays AAA this season, it won't be for very long.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ruiz is nothing special and Coste is best served as a PH. Neither bring anything when it comes to defense. If Maron plays AAA this season, it won't be for very long.
I don't know much about minor league guys, but I do now about the major league guys. Ruiz is a damn good defensive Catcher, maybe you meant neither bring anything special when it comes to Offense, because Ruiz is known for his defense. I agree Ruiz isn't special, but saying that he isn't a good defensive Catcher doesn't make sense to me if that is what you meant. I played Catcher and I know Ruiz is great at keeping balls in front of him. He's got a decent arm, nothing spectacular, but its good enough. He brings very little in terms of offense, except for in the World Series, haha.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's no need to worry about Ruiz/Coste long term. Sweet Lou Marson, a top prospect in all of baseball, will probably be up in July, and he'll be the starter from 2010 on, I would imagine. Ruiz is a great defensive backstop and game caller, but he is a bit of a liability long term at the position. He had a great playoffs for the Phils, but Marson can hit 5th/6th in our lineup and has solid defense as well.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

And Drabek will probably start the season in regular A ball as he continues to rehab from his Tommy John surgery. I expect him to be in AA by season's end with a midseason 2010 callup on the horizon. A big mover this next year should be Joe Savery, who will start in High A or AA and should be able to really move up as the season progresses. He is a solid lefty starter with upside and 3 excellent pitches. I'm excited about him for sure.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I wasn't stressing about Ruiz or Coste, I was just bringing up that Ruiz is a damn good defensive Catcher. Drabek will be interesting to follow, as will Savery, there are really a bunch of good pitching prospects for the Phils.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Keith Law rated the Phils system at #11 overall. Lots of high ceiling talent in the lower ranks + Donald, Marson, and Carrasco. Solid group. We'll see what happens!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Keith Law rated the Phils system at #11 overall. Lots of high ceiling talent in the lower ranks + Donald, Marson, and Carrasco. Solid group. We'll see what happens!
As I recall, thats probably about the highest its been in the last 5-10 years. I know recently theyve been rated as especially low. When Cole came up, I remember hearing that he was our only major prospect on ESPN. Now that wasn't true, but he definitely stuck out.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The Phils brought up Rollins, Utley, Myers, Madsen, Howard, Victorino, Hamels, Coste, and Ruiz from their farm. Pretty solid crop there, but there were some sparse drafts because signing guys like David Bell, Thome, etc robbed us of early picks. Since the Phils haven't done much major FA signings lately, they've been getting more early picks and therefore are rebuilding.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I am curious to see how well the Phils are able to do without Mike Arbuckle. Arbuckle's first draft pick was Lieberthal, and he was responsible for building the farm for 12 years or more. His expertise and scouting team were amazing, and his departure really is a huge loss. I'm sure Amaro will do well overall, but I was always comfortable with Arbuckle there as well.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And Drabek will probably start the season in regular A ball as he continues to rehab from his Tommy John surgery. I expect him to be in AA by season's end with a midseason 2010 callup on the horizon. A big mover this next year should be Joe Savery, who will start in High A or AA and should be able to really move up as the season progresses. He is a solid lefty starter with upside and 3 excellent pitches. I'm excited about him for sure.
Agreed on Drabek. There is absolutely NO rush to bring him up at all and I wouldn't be shocked to see Lakewood for a few months. Then a call-up to Clearwater by ASG.

I like our top 15. So much depth at C, OF and SP. I could see someone like Drabek actually being a closer but he has very good pedigree and potential. I love Julian Sampson, we'll see how he turns out.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Sampson was a nice surprise that he even signed. I think he'll be a stud down the line, but he's really, REALLY raw...

Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I am curious to see how well the Phils are able to do without Mike Arbuckle. Arbuckle's first draft pick was Lieberthal, and he was responsible for building the farm for 12 years or more. His expertise and scouting team were amazing, and his departure really is a huge loss. I'm sure Amaro will do well overall, but I was always comfortable with Arbuckle there as well.
Hopefully they can keep momentum going from recent drafts, which I think have been successful, but we need to make sure the developemnet is there as well.