Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default San Diego Chargers Discussion

Discuss the Chargers here.

I'll start!

What is their biggest need right now?

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:33 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aw no one is posting for SD.

I'd say their biggest need is a go to WR, but that's me.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Bolts Biggest need

I would say a WR who can stretch the field with sub 4.4 speed. The next need is a ball hawking safety, and since their are more of the latter, that may be our first round pick.

We also have needs at ILB, and a backup NOSE for Jamal.
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:57 PM    (permalink

im not a chargers fan but i feel sorry that not many people have posted on this so ill tell my opinion.

Offense- WR-Dwyanne Jarret or Tedd Ginn Jr.
Defense- Safety- Laron Landry or Brandon Meriweather
Old 11-11-2006, 04:07 PM    (permalink

I think they'll go with PWillie 1st round if hes there but a guard is more likely than WR IMO.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:15 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for some reason i feel that they will go after sidney rice, i think that he is like a younger keenan mccardell and that the chargers will draft rice. if not him, i think that they will still go WR in the first
Old 11-12-2006, 07:38 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default McKinney

Anybody know anything about this kid we just promoted from our practice squad, he played at Mich St.........I was surprised we promoted him over Chase Page given Castillo's injury.....man does it suck we will miss him and Merriman for the Bronco's game.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What a win today! I'm convinced Rivers is an NFL top 5 QB. He played virtually flawless in the second half and his final TD was simply amazing. His final TD pass was something that you'd only see from a winner and he's one.

As for needs, the secondardy could really use a standout player. The WRs are young and coming into their own so if we don't take one in the first, I don't think we really need one. More depth at LB and on the DL would be great in the mid-rounds. Also, a tailback should probably be taking pretty early to replace Michael Turner.

Here's a little breakdown. My ideal draft. Being an east coast, ACC guy hopefully it's not to weighted to those guys.

1st - S -Michael Griffin, Texas - Would give us some depth at both safety spots and give us a big time athletic hitter.

2nd - OL - Mike Otto, Purdeu - Would give us depth on all four lineman positions. Would be an ideal fit with our other lineman - athletic, strong at the point of attack and a capable run blocker.

3rd - RB - Tyrone Moss, Miami - Reminds me of Frank Gore and I think he could be a better pro player than a college one. Would be able to fill Michael Turner's role of a backup tailback. Can run between the tackles and has the speed to be a down field threat.

4th - DE - Baraka Atkins, Miami - Might be a bit of a pipe dream that he is available here but I really like him in a 3-4 set and he seems to be falling of late. Nebraska Jay Moore, NC State's Demario Pressley and Brandon Mebane of California would be other guys I would target.

5th - CB - AJ Davis, NC State - Would add some depth at the CB spot and would be an option at the return spots. NC State DBs have performed above expectations for the past few years and Davis is the most athletic of them all.

6th - OLB - Brian Smith, Missouri - Highly productive DE who will be a little bit undersized as a 3-4 OLB but you can't argue with his numbers. Probably won't have the athleticism to be an every down player but that's fine given Phillips and Meriman will be ahead of him.

7th - C - Enoka Lucas, Oregon - Interior line depth isn't a huge problem but it would certainly be welcomed. Lucas is big enough to handle 3-4 NT's and athletic enough to play OG as well as C. He will probably be a couple of years away though.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atkins won't play in a 3-4, he is a 4-3 DE all the way. I think the Chargers definately need to take a WR in the first two rounds. The Chargers have 4 needs IMO, S, WR, OG, and ILB. If they can get Michael Griffin or LaRon Landry in the first then I think they should take it. If not a guy like Blalock or Ginn would be a great pick.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

i'm hoping for patrick willis in round 1
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt P Willie lasts that long.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 AM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, if San Diego doesn't go for a WR for number one, then we shouldn't really target a guy until later in the rounds (now if somebody we really like is available then take him but I say that for every position outside of QB). Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd and Eric Parker are excellent trio of young guys who work well with Rivers. We amlost certainly aren't going to get somebody better than those three after round one. McCardell looks like he still has several more years too.

Of the Ginn/Jarrett/Rice trio, I like Ginn the best because he would provide us the deep threat and an elite return man. Floyd, Jackson and McCardell are all huge too, so a fourth 6'4+ WR might be a bit overkill.

Blalock is a terrible fit for out interior line as well. We'll be targeting lighter more athletic guys.

I like Atkins in the 3-4. He's much bigger than 265 he's listed at (or at least he looks it) and he's been pretty ineffective as a 4-3 DE off the edge. He's athleticism is off the charts but has been ineffective in the 4-3 largely because he can't settle into a position. In the 3-4, he'd be able to provide a pass rush similar to Castillo. Also, San Diego 3-4 isn't the conventional 3-4 that the Steelers run. It's more of a 3-4 hybrid that features a lot of formations with 4 down lineman. Therefore, a ligher DE (290-300) would fit well.

I'd be alright with Willis in the first round. He wouldn't be my first choice just because I don't think he's an elite athlete but he would be a nice upgrade.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Have you guys been happy with Cromartie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:08 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

He's about what we've expected. He got beat by Chad Johnson yesterday pretty bad and whiffed making the tackle. He's going to be a good one though - it will just take some time.

The hope is that he will be a full time starter by the playoffs.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:42 PM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

Default Quality Beef to Groom Behind Jamal

I think we need to take an impact type 3-4 NT and I know those are hard to find.......a guy like Alan Branch to groom behind Jamal would be ideal (I can dream can't I.....AJ could package the farm to move up enough to get him).

I was really hoping to get Babatunde last year. I just know 3-4 noses are hard to find, and they come at a premium (Ngata would be the most recent example). We have 2-4th round talents already behind Jamal, but to remain an elite defense for the long haul, we need that anchor for our 3-4.

Would Okam be another possiblity?

Watching Kiel yesterday was painful, we need an elite safety and Griffin or Landry would be the kind of players we need to get better.......so either NT or Safety is the priority in the first round.....cuz I don't think Willis would be available (but would be a great fit an an ILB in our scheme).

Hopefully we can get alot for Turner (maybe a 2nd rounder), or keep him one more year....becuase he is a luxury as a backup to LT, we could win with him running if LT ever got hurt. If we got another pick, its another chance to move up and get one of those elite safety's or an elite backup to Jamal.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM    (permalink
snobdmat
Veteran

snobdmat hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think that we need an elite safety cause jamal still has at least 3-5 years left in this league and there is no point in drafting someone to sit for that long and groom. by now its obvious that the chargers are going to be drafting in the bottom 1/2 this upcoming year so i think that aj will go with bpa be it a safety, wr, ol, dl, or mlb.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 PM    (permalink
parcells
Rookie

parcells hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think you guys peg it pretty well that the Chargers' top 4 needs are a safety to go with McCree (Kiel's not cutting it), OG, ILB, and possibly a speedy WR. They've got some good young bigger WRs, but I would love to see a real small speedster that could potentially give them some help in the kick return game (because Turner might be gone).
parcells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 PM    (permalink
parcells
Rookie

parcells hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Have you guys been happy with Cromartie?
There's no doubt he's shown the ability. He's a rookie and so we're not surprised by inconsistent moments. Still, he covered Torry Holt most of the game a few weeks back and really held him in check. Yesterday, he got absolutely torched on one of Chad Johnson's TD catches (our whole secondary got torched). Still, remember that we lacked Merriman, Castillo, and Shaun Phillips was banged up although playing (over 20 sacks among those 3). Our lack of a pass rush made it tough on our secondary.
parcells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Could anyone else see us taking a chance on Merriweather after round one? We've had lots of bad PR lately and this would be a somewhat controversial pick, but it fits with AJ Smith's high stakes draft philosophy, and he'd easily be the best player available at a position of desperate need after round one.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

Default Merriweather

I think AJ would shy away from Merriweather, but if he is available in round 2 or 3, and we already have needs filled (WR, OL, ILB).....he would be an awfully tough player to pass up talent wise. I think McCree could keep him humble.

I just hope they get Griffin or Landry, and move up in the first to do it, cuz those guys don't come with questionable character issues. We need a replacement for Kiel that can cover well, McCree is a step slow and needs a compliment that can make plays in pass coverage.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 AM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

PTI yesterday called PR best QB in the league beside Peyton.

Might be a bit early to call him that but I would be hard pressed to find 5 other QBs in the league that I want as my starter today.

And if we started the Rivers/Eli/Big Ben debate again, I don't think it would last three pages because there would be no debate.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234
PTI yesterday called PR best QB in the league beside Peyton.

Might be a bit early to call him that but I would be hard pressed to find 5 other QBs in the league that I want as my starter today.

And if we started the Rivers/Eli/Big Ben debate again, I don't think it would last three pages because there would be no debate.
When you look at it he really hasn't had a bad game. His worst was probably the KC game, but even then he put the Chargers in a position to win in the end (except when he froze up a bit on the last drive, something I felt he more than made up for on Sunday).

That's one major thing he has over Brees, is that he's more consistent from week to week. Brees had games when he was on fire last year (Giants game, Buffalo game, Patriots game) and games where he really cost the team (last KC game, Denver game, Dallas game, Redskins game although LT saved his butt). For the most part, Rivers is steady from game to game. Oh, and Rivers is taller, gets rid of the ball faster, doesn't fumble as much, has a stronger arm, doesn't make as many bad desisions and is just awesome in every way 8)
Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 AM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

^ yea I'm with you on Rivers over Brees. I don't want to throw Brees under a bus because he's great and we'd be very good with him too.

Rivers seems to have that mojo that makes you a winner. Down 21 points it takes a heck of a leader to round up the troops and get everybody on the same page. Rivers allows us to open up our offense some too and I think that has helped LT. Safeties now have to respect the deep ball at all times and that gives him a bit more open space to make his moves.

I really hope we can stay healthy going into the playoffs. There is no reason why a healthy Chargers team can't win it all. I'm just smiling thinking of the pressure we could put on old Peyton.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 PM    (permalink
hans3n

Has anyone heard anything about if Castillo will be playing this sunday against the Broncos? He's still listed as questionable today.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Default Re: CASTILLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans3n
Has anyone heard anything about if Castillo will be playing this sunday against the Broncos? He's still listed as questionable today.
I heard he won't play.

<njx9> <3 dg