Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go Fernando Velasco, I doubt Quinn Johnson is our starting FB. I think he was rated the worst FB by PFF for the 1st four weeks.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Didn't we bring William Hayes back on a 1-year deal? It was like right before the draft.
Nope. Hayes signed with the Rams/Fisher.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Go Fernando Velasco, I doubt Quinn Johnson is our starting FB. I think he was rated the worst FB by PFF for the 1st four weeks.
Oh, I don't want Quinn Johnson to be our FB. He's just the only option that I buy right now as a realistic possibility because the coaches seem to like him (for whatever reason). Right now, I think it's doubtful that the team goes with the rookie Collin Mooney to block for CJ -- especially when Mooney hasn't played football in a few years.

Personally, I'd prefer it if we just scrapped the FB position this year and kept an extra TE, LB, or S for special-teams play. But, again, I just don't foresee the coaches doing that.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Didn't we bring William Hayes back on a 1-year deal? It was like right before the draft.
nope rams grabbed him

we brought back ball on a one year deal
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bah, the Yahoo ticker on the bottom of team pages flashed that Hayes was signed. Since it popped up on the Titans' page, I assumed it was us that signed him, but I guess since Hayes was a former Titan, that's why it popped up there. My bad. Still...sucks to see Rams get such a quality player...

DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER THAT PICK?! No one knew who he was! Mel Kiper had to search his binder for his name. The ESPN ticker read "Williams Hayes." Ugh! I remember I was so mad at MR since Ted Thompson traded one pick ahead of us and took Jeremy Thompson (who, albeit, hasn't amounted to much either), and then boom, William Hayes happened. TT traded one pick ahead of us this year and took Worthy ahead of us, so due to logic, Zach Brown will suck. LOGIC!

Also, booo Quinn Johnson. I've always wondered if they wanted to try Harper as a WCO FB and go single-back most plays. That'll be better than running Johnson's fat booty out there.

Also excited to see if DaJohn Harris beats out Question Marks, Shaun Smith, or Zach Clayton. No clue what to make of Leger Douzable, and as far as DE's go, I've kinda given up on Malcolm Sheppard and Pannel Egboh. :/

Still hoping for DE help when cuts roll around.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Also, booo Quinn Johnson. I've always wondered if they wanted to try Harper as a WCO FB and go single-back most plays. That'll be better than running Johnson's fat booty out there.

Also excited to see if DaJohn Harris beats out Question Marks, Shaun Smith, or Zach Clayton. No clue what to make of Leger Douzable, and as far as DE's go, I've kinda given up on Malcolm Sheppard and Pannel Egboh. :/

We kept hearing last year from OC Palmer that they wanted to get Harper involved more as a possible FB in some formations, but it never materialized. Maybe it happens this year? For some reason, I doubt it.

From what I've read, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Douzable signing. He's apparently very stout against the run; and, on some of the Jags' forums, they seemed a bit sad to see him go. Not saying he's a great player, but he seems like a good part of a rotation. And yeah...I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Titans bring in a DE after the June 1st cuts. They always seem to bring in 1-2 guys that way. But I'd like to see Egboh get a shot, as I recall him being pretty good last preseason. I guess it depends on who's available after the camp cuts.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER THAT PICK?! No one knew who he was! Mel Kiper had to search his binder for his name. The ESPN ticker read "Williams Hayes." Ugh! I remember I was so mad at MR since Ted Thompson traded one pick ahead of us and took Jeremy Thompson (who, albeit, hasn't amounted to much either), and then boom, William Hayes happened. TT traded one pick ahead of us this year and took Worthy ahead of us, so due to logic, Zach Brown will suck. LOGIC!

Yeah I remember the day we got William Hayes. I don't think I had any idea who he was. I remember someone saying he was a 250 LB guy comparable to Robert Mathis (totally wrong). TBH, I thought Hayes was always a decent DE. A very solid run stuffer, not the speed guy some said he was coming out of college.

I like the Harper at FB idea to save a roster spot and get a good athlete on the field. Not expecting much of a blocker, but sometimes ya just gotta get a piece of the defender. Doesn't hurt to try, but am I crazy or did they try that a few plays last year? Like a very few plays where he was on the field with CJ or Ringer. **** I don't remember.

I only saw a little film of DaJohn Harris, but he had some impressive looking plays. We'll keep at least 4 DT's, maybe 5, so he's got a chance to be that last guy.

I'd guess we go with Wimbly, Morgan, Ball, Douzable, and Solomon at DE, but who knows who can be had after cuts or if we have an injury. I hoping Douzable was a solid rotation pick up (sounds like it at least), and I'm drinking the Solomon kool-aid, so I'm gonna look at the bright side for DE's right now. Also helping that is the hope that the team will really use Ayers more as a pass rusher too.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bah, the Yahoo ticker on the bottom of team pages flashed that Hayes was signed. Since it popped up on the Titans' page, I assumed it was us that signed him, but I guess since Hayes was a former Titan, that's why it popped up there. My bad. Still...sucks to see Rams get such a quality player...

DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER THAT PICK?! No one knew who he was! Mel Kiper had to search his binder for his name. The ESPN ticker read "Williams Hayes." .
If I recall correctly, NFLN read "Hayes Williams", not very often do guys get taken i've never heard of, and this was one of those moments.

After learning about him I really thought he'd turn into a good player, and could see glimpses of a Mathis/Freeney type player.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I like the Harper at FB idea to save a roster spot and get a good athlete on the field. Not expecting much of a blocker, but sometimes ya just gotta get a piece of the defender. Doesn't hurt to try, but am I crazy or did they try that a few plays last year? Like a very few plays where he was on the field with CJ or Ringer. **** I don't remember.
That's really why I wanted a guy like Broderick Green, he played some FB in college and also is used to running the ball. Got pretty good hands as well.

Or we coulda signed Dwight Jones and tried an Oakland style conversion and move a WR to FB
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
That's really why I wanted a guy like Broderick Green, he played some FB in college and also is used to running the ball. Got pretty good hands as well.

Or we coulda signed Dwight Jones and tried an Oakland style conversion and move a WR to FB
Collin Mooney can run the ball, don't know about his hands though. He didn't catch many passes. He can block and run, I guess we'll have to see how his hands are if they throw to the FB much. With the way the offense is looking, you'd think they'd want a FB with good hands and speed. Maybe more of a H-back type.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

yeah, thats really what you need in todays game. You can have a true FB on your roster, but H-Back is almost better to bring in motion
Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Looks like they gave Mooney a 3 year deal. Makes me wonder if they feel really good about him. Otoh, I don't remember specifics on UDFA deals. Anyone know if they usually give multi-year deals to those guys or usually just 1 year?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

i think it's usually 2 year deals, sometimes 3 if they really like them I believe
Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dreamt of Colin McCarthy last night.

It was...perfect.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
I dreamt of Colin McCarthy last night.

It was...perfect.
You can dream of another strong Irish boy now, Collin Mooney...if that's your thing lol.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:02 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

It was purely football related! I SWEAR!

We also traded up in next year's draft for a player similar to but not necessarily Mike Adams.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Ok lol

10 lols
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was purely football related! I SWEAR!

We also traded up in next year's draft for a player similar to but not necessarily Mike Adams.
T.J. McDonald reminds me a lot of Mike Adams.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
T.J. McDonald reminds me a lot of Mike Adams.
It was Mike Adams the offensive tackle! It was weirdddddddd.

Also, what would you guys say is Jerry Gray's defensive scheme? Like, in pure, sweet technical terms. He's a Gregg Williams pupil, and he basically says he has an adaptive philosophy for his players - he runs plays and schemes that fit the player best, and doesn't force them into anything. Which is awesome. But I wish someone would ask and get a straight up "1-Gap, base 4-3, Cover 2" answer.

And while I know what type of players it appears he's looking for, but since he doesn't have all his pieces yet, I'm having trouble determining each position's job based on the performance of the current player. That, and I'm having a horrible time remembering the games and maybe past things I've noticed. We were second to last last year in Sacks, so could that imply our DL is a read-and-react, or maybe a 2-Gap, or could it be a 1-gap and the players just don't have the talent to produce? How much zone-coverage do we run compared to man-coverage? How aggressive will he finally get with blitzes? We've drafted two tweener 4-3 NT's, so will they run a sort of 2-gapper where they essentially put two NT's out there to clog lanes, or will they have a designated NT and UT? I'm having trouble designating between Gray putting guys in positions for better success last year, and him putting guys in positions because it's his scheme and philosophy.

At least Chris Palmer was easy.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Well Gray said himself he likes to mix up his fronts. I saw some stuff different than what we'd typically see with Shwartz, but not a lot of 3-4 stuff (even though he said he liked using it). I hope we implement that more this year. He does blitz more than Shwartzy, but who doesn't?

Looks like with him and Rocker we'll get some more big boys in the middle, bigger ends too, but they are not afraid to use smaller guys too. After all it's usally the smaller guys with the athleticism to provide pressure. Gray says he wants his guys to be versatile, but it seemed most guys had "roles" last year. But a lot of those guys were rookies, so limiting their responsibilities is the norm.

I'm excited to see how the D looks with more players that I'm sure Gray and Rocker (and maybe Mallard) have had their say on.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It was Mike Adams the offensive tackle! It was weirdddddddd.

Also, what would you guys say is Jerry Gray's defensive scheme? Like, in pure, sweet technical terms. He's a Gregg Williams pupil, and he basically says he has an adaptive philosophy for his players - he runs plays and schemes that fit the player best, and doesn't force them into anything. Which is awesome. But I wish someone would ask and get a straight up "1-Gap, base 4-3, Cover 2" answer.

And while I know what type of players it appears he's looking for, but since he doesn't have all his pieces yet, I'm having trouble determining each position's job based on the performance of the current player. That, and I'm having a horrible time remembering the games and maybe past things I've noticed. We were second to last last year in Sacks, so could that imply our DL is a read-and-react, or maybe a 2-Gap, or could it be a 1-gap and the players just don't have the talent to produce? How much zone-coverage do we run compared to man-coverage? How aggressive will he finally get with blitzes? We've drafted two tweener 4-3 NT's, so will they run a sort of 2-gapper where they essentially put two NT's out there to clog lanes, or will they have a designated NT and UT? I'm having trouble designating between Gray putting guys in positions for better success last year, and him putting guys in positions because it's his scheme and philosophy.

At least Chris Palmer was easy.
I'd says the easiest way to describe it is "zone blitzing". He likes to run a lot of zone with the DB's, but also blitzes a lot. He's more like Gregg Williams in the sense they don't rely heavily on pressure from the D-Line, it's almost as if the whole D-Line is there to eat up space and free up space for the blitzers. Aside from Williams with the Titans, his DE's never really picked up more than 8 sacks in a season.

Gray seems to be a little different as he ran a 245 Aaron Schobel in Buffalo, and got great pressure doing it. From his history, I think the goal for this team is to run a lot of 2- 2 gap DT's. In Buffalo he had Sam Adams and Pat Williams, now that probably wouldn't work in todays NFL but I think Casey and Martin can be a modern day version, or that's the plan anyway.

I think his system is better than Gregg Williams' because he still believes in the D-Line. In a way, I'd almost call his defense a 3-4 d-line with 4-3 personel in the sense the D-Line is mostly to push the pocket and fill gaps. The remaining DE (OLB in 3-4, Wimbley in this example) is going to be in pass rush / disruption mode. The only difference is he's basically an OLB down in stance, he won't be required to do the same as a normal DE, so that's why I'm not worried about him one bit.

Our LB's are going to be 3-4 backers with 4-3 personel. Our MLB's will blitz, drop in coverage as will our OLB's. Akeem Ayers will be a more of the traditional.

I know saying 3-4 D while running a 4-3 is not the best way to say, it but I think he wants to match the intensity and confusion the 3-4 defense presents while running it from a 4-3 defense.

Primarily, from what I've seen he runs mostly zone defense.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

The Tennessean just had an article about Amano. They say it's an open competition for C. He's recovering from surgeries now and Matthews is working with the first team. This is a surprise to me because Velasco has more experience, has been here longer, and most importantly looked better to me...but he's not Bruce's son lol.

They say they want to improve the run game. If that's the case, from what I've seen, put in Velasco.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

I think Matthews can be very good because you need a smart guy with good technique. Matthews was brought up to be an o-lineman.

Velasco is better at guard in my opinion. He is more of a mauler with somewhat slow feet. I'm not sure he has the intelligence to make line calls, which usually falls on the center
Old 05-18-2012, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

I can't really judge Matthews other than by what I've seen, and it wasn't any more impressive to me than Amano. But to be fair we haven't seen him much.

Although Velasco lumbers more giving up some athleticism, he's definitely an upgrade in the run game that they mentioned...but of course that kinda contradicts how we are setting up a pass happy O. He has played C so it seems the team trusts his line calls. Matthews running with the 1's now makes it seem like he's in the lead, but I don't want to put too much stock into that just yet.

I'm surprised there's been no talk of Harris to C and letting the battle be for LG.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

yea, way too early to tell right now. I think with Bruce's coaching and Matthews knowledge, there's a chance he could turn into a Jeff Saturday type center.

As for Harris, I am surprised but am not at the same time. I say this because Amano has been a better player at guard historically. I don't think they feel Harris can play Center at a higher level than Amano, because if they did, why wouldn't they have moved him to Center and Amano to Guard?