Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hunter just kind of worreis me because despite his size he's always seemed like more of a finesse player to me. He reminds me so much of a Roy Williams / Limas Sweed WR.

I would need to see if he can get off the line, from what film I've watched of him he was never really asked to try, everyone gave him free releases. Even when CBs were closer up to the line he usually made a move to get free, so I'd be interested to see when he gets a big NFL CB on him using his hands and jamming him.

He's obviously got a lot of ability though
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been comparing Hunter to Sidney Rice since his freshman year. Others say AJ Green. Hunter gets the edge on throws farther than 20 yards. He's a tower and can jump out of the stadium. I think his leaping ability is more contributive to his upside than anything else. For teams who do a lot of deep passing and PA, I think Hunter would be the better choice. He's a dragster.

But with the ball in hand, CP is the best. His game is made on the throws under 20 yards. He's got the size to get separation from defenders in tight spaces, and has the acceleration to get into 6th gear instantly to make YAC plays. For teams who run the West Coast Offense or focus on the short-intermediate passing game, CP is an ideal WR. He's a precision tuned sports car.

Da'Rick has the same physical talent as the other two, but is a different WR altogether. He doesn't have one or two things that make him exceptional. He can do it all. He's got the size at 6'3. He'll outmuscle every CB he'll face. He can jump high enough to highpoint the ball and pull it into the body with a defender draped all over him. He's a horse with the ball in his hand, and his size and strength make it hard for one tackler to take him down. He has the speed to get deep, and combined with his height, it makes him a good deep threat. His hands and willingness to make the catch are the best among the trio. Da'Rick can be smashed in twain and will still make the catch. He's can also catch it over his shoulder, and while his concentration can lapse at times, he can rebound with a circus catch. He's a big X WR that any team could use to great benefit. Despite all this, the guy compared to Calvin Johnson coming out of high school is looking at the 3rd Round right now. Da'Rick Rogers is a Bugatti Veyron with an elderly Vietnamese woman at the helm.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Hunter has a much higher ceiling than some people are giving him credit for. That dude is a freak athlete in his own right, and I agree completely with TH on this...any team that likes vertical receivers and alot of deep PA passing will covet Justin. Hell, I wouldn't be mad if we took him if he were there in the 2nd. The drops, in my opinion, are mental lapses more than anything, because he's got the hands to snatch passes cleanly out of the air. If the Texans draft him...I swear to god, I don't think I'll be able to handle it (although for his sake it might be his best landing spot).

Last edited by Pit Bull #53 : 03-31-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Titans sign WR Kevin Walter and G/C Chris Spencer to 1 year deals.

If this isn't the nail in the coffin for Amano, I don't know what is.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all these FA signings and lots of draft pics, looks like we are gonna be serious about depth competition this year. I like!
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently both signings are for the veteran minimum. Seems like decent veteran depth to me. No real risk involved.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Chris Spencer signing. Indifferent to Kevin Walter.

Although, he somehow always finds a way to get on my fantasy teams.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I wrong in thinking the following guys just need to go?

- Rusty Smith
- Jamie Harper
- Quinn Johnson (ugh ugh ugh)
- Lavelle Hawkins
- Eugene Amano
- Patrick Bailey
- Al Afalava
- Robert Johnson

I also don't see Marc Mariani with us this season, but might as well keep him through the preseason and training camp.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
Am I wrong in thinking the following guys just need to go?

- Rusty Smith
- Jamie Harper
- Quinn Johnson (ugh ugh ugh)
- Lavelle Hawkins
- Eugene Amano
- Patrick Bailey
- Al Afalava
- Robert Johnson

I also don't see Marc Mariani with us this season, but might as well keep him through the preseason and training camp.
We need a replacement for Smith and Harper will probably be beat out by an UDFA. Johnson is our true FB, although I expect Walker to have a much bigger role than Johnson. Hawkins needs cut, but I'm not sure what that looks like salary cap-wise, same with Amano - those two may need to be post june 1st cuts, which we can now cut not and designate as post June 1st. Bailey needs cut, too expensive for a backup LBer and STer. Afalava and Johnson might as well stay for now, they're inexpensive
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Walker will be especially helpful with his downfield blocking and blocking on the move. Stevens is a capable inline blocker, but Walker will be better in open space. With a RB like CJ, that'll be major when he gets to the second level.

Love adding all this veteran depth. That's a characteristic of a good team.

No DE or CB FA moves though. Thank goodness for Ansah, Jordan, Werner, Milliner, and Rhodes.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Does anyone know the consequences of cutting Stevens after this year? I was never a fan of his contract to begin with, but now with Walker he seems even less needed. It seems like Thompson has the potential to be a very good blocker as well.

I wouldn't mind getting a receiving TE to pair with Walker, sort of like the 49ers had Davis to pair with him (obviously I'm not expecting someone on the same level, but more the same style of play).
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Does anyone know the consequences of cutting Stevens after this year? I was never a fan of his contract to begin with, but now with Walker he seems even less needed. It seems like Thompson has the potential to be a very good blocker as well.

I wouldn't mind getting a receiving TE to pair with Walker, sort of like the 49ers had Davis to pair with him (obviously I'm not expecting someone on the same level, but more the same style of play).
I've wondered this myself. He actually was pretty decent this season, but he's getting older and always seems to be an injury concern.

Eifert or Ertz would be a good replacement.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I've wondered this myself. He actually was pretty decent this season, but he's getting older and always seems to be an injury concern.

Eifert or Ertz would be a good replacement.
Yeah, I don't think he's a bad player, but Walker seems to replicate a lot of the things Stevens does well and as you said he's no young pup and does have a tendency to get injured.

From what I can see he counts $4.4mil against the cap next year and $4.5mil the year after. If a good chunk of that can be saved by cutting him, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in the offseason.

Also add Escobar to the list of good receiving TEs in this year's class, though I could see them waiting on TE until next year being that we already have 3 on the roster this year.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I'm not great like some at figuring this out, but if he's cut after this year I think he'll count 3m against the cap instead of the 3.5m he would be scheduled to make. So he wouldn't save a ton in 2013 but the real benefit would be in 2014 where he'd save 4.4m and 2015 where he'd save 4.5m.

I like the idea of adding a different TE opposite of Walker, in fact, I would have been absolutely thrilled to have signed Dustin Keller AND Delanie Walker.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Right, I'm not talking about cutting him this offseason, but rather next offseason (2014).
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Stevens. I'd have to see how Walker plays before considering if one or the other should go after this year. Stevens blocking is important, but I think he's underutilized as a reciever. The guy actually has speed and can stretch the field. He's not an incredible receiving threat though, and just from what little we saw of Thompson last year, he doesn't seem to be either.

I'd like an all around athletic type TE (Cookie was more of a one dimensional straight line speed guy), but I wouldn't automatically point to Stevens as the odd man out. We really need to see how they will use Walker first. I imagine he takes most of the h-back roles that Thompson did more towards the later part of last season.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a list of prospects that we've either visited with or are scheduled to visit with. There may be other names that aren't listed here, but this is the best that I could find based on a few different sites.

Local Visits:
QB Jordan Rodgers (Vanderbilt)
RB Zac Stacy (Vanderbilt)
RB Trabis Ward (Tennessee State)
FB Ben Bartholomew (Tennessee)
WR Zach Rogers (Tennessee)
DE Collins Ukwu (Kentucky)
DT Rob Lohr (Vanderbilt)

Senior Bowl / Combine / PreDraft Visits:
OT Luke Joeckel (TX A&M)
OT Kyle Long (Oregon)
OG Chance Warmack (Alabama)
OG Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina)
OG Larry Warford (Kentucky)
OG Brian Winters (Kent St)
OG Justin Pugh (Syracuse)
OG/C Barrett Jones (Alabama)
OG/C Brian Schwenke (Cal)
WR Quinton Patton (LA Tech)
DE Barkevious Mingo (LSU)
DE/OLB Dion Jordan (Oregon)
DT Sharrif Floyd (Florida)
MLB Manti Te'o (Notre Dame)
CB Will Davis (Utah St)
CB Sanders Commings (Georgia)
SS Kenny Vaccaro (Texas)
SS Jonathan Cyprien (Florida International)

I also read on another site that someone said they saw Assistant Secondary Coach Steve Brown visiting with Florida State players. That could mean lots of different folks -- probably on the defensive side of the ball (possibly CB Xavier Rhodes?). But I couldn't find any verification of that, so it might just be heresay. Still...it's interesting to think about.

Anyway...we tend to draft players that we've visited with at some point in the process. Looking at the list, it's VERY interior OL heavy, which makes me think that OG is definitely an early-round consideration -- though it's unclear whether that means a 1st Rounder (Warmack or Cooper), a 2nd Rounder (Warford or Pugh), or a 3rd Rounder (Winters or Jones). In particular, Winters seems like an interesting fit for us because he's a former left-tackle who was originally projected to right-tackle in the NFL before being re-projected to OG/C. To me, that shows quite a bit of versatility; and, since Stewart's getting up there in age, I wonder if we might use Winters at OG with plans of kicking him out to RT in the next couple seasons. Just a thought...

To me, the other curious thing is the relative lack of WRs and CBs on this list, as those were two positions that people have been speculating on since we haven't really addressed those positions in FA (other than Walter, who is nothing more than a depth guy). If the FSU visit rumor is true, I wonder if the team is targetting Xavier Rhodes with that #10 pick and banking the local product, Quinton Patton, being there in the 2nd Round after other WRs like Patterson, Austin, Allen, and Hopkins are off the board?

If I had to make a guess right now, based on this current info, I'd mock draft us Xavier Rhodes (1st), Quinton Patton (2nd), & Brian Winters (3rd). Not saying that's what I hope they do -- only that it seems like a realistic possibility at this point...

Last edited by MicktheGreat : 04-04-2013 at 12:01 AM.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I find the Mingo and Jordan visits interesting. Both seem like 3-4 guys to me. Even if we thought they could fit in a 4-3, we already have Wimbley as an undersized DE and Ayers who can also fill that roll on passing downs.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I find the Mingo and Jordan visits interesting. Both seem like 3-4 guys to me. Even if we thought they could fit in a 4-3, we already have Wimbley as an undersized DE and Ayers who can also fill that roll on passing downs.
Yeah...I think Mingo and Jordan are good prospects, but I don't really see how they fit our system or needs. I suppose that our interest in them could mean that we want to play more 3-4 sets this season. However, in that set, we already have Wimbley, Ayers, and Brown -- all of whom can play as the outside pass-rush LB.

Ultimately, I think that we've got enough pass-rushers with those three, plus Morgan who can also provide pressure (even if he doesn't get sacks). I'd think that we'd be more interested in a bigger DE like Datone Jones who can play early-downs to keep Wimbley fresh; but I don't think we've shown any interest in Jones. (I don't see Pitoitua as anything more than a solid depth guy with DE/DT versatility right now.) Of course, Ansah would be a great fit for us as a bigger DE who is tough against the run, but it's looking more and more like he'll be gone by that #10 pick.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MOCK DRAFT:
Round 1 = CB Xavier Rhodes (Florida State)
Round 2 = WR Quinton Patton (LA Tech)
Round 3 = OG Brian Winters (Kent State)
Round 3 (Conditional) = FS/SS D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina)
Round 4 = DE Lavar Edwards (LSU)
Round 5 = RB Zac Stacy (Vanderbilt)
Round 6 (Conditional) = QB Sean Renfree (Duke)
Round 7 = CB Vernon Kearney (Lane)
Round 7 (Conditional) = WR Zach Rogers (Tennessee)

Comments: This is not necessarily how I hope for the draft to go; rather, this is how I could potentially see the draft going -- based on our FA signings, our predraft visits, our team needs, etc.

As I said in another thread, the relative lack of WR/CB visits suggests to me that either (a.) the team doesn't see WR/CB as a need, which would surprise me OR (b.) they are confident that one of the few WR/CB guys that they've spoken to will be available early on. Rhodes is a mid-1st talent, so he's not much of a reach at #10 -- especially considering that Milliner and Ansah will both almost certainly be gone; and Patton, while a small-school project, is a local TN kid with skills to play inside or outside who's more consistent than Justin Hunter, has more upside than Robert Woods, and is less risky than Da'Rick Rogers. In the 3rd Round, we finally look at interior OL, which has been the position we've been most interested in during predraft visits. Apparently, we've spoken to Winters on three different occasions, which makes me think he's the pick if available in the 3rd as predicted. With that late 3rd, we could go in a number of directions. Ultimately, Swearinger -- who could potentially replace Griffin at FS OR Wilson/Pollard at SS next year seems like the best player available there. Edwards gives us a bigger DE to rotate with Wimbley; and Stacy gives us a local, Javon Ringer type longterm backup at RB. In the bottom of the 6th Round, QB Sean Renfree's stock fell because of a late-season injury; however, he's a smart QB with decent talent, who would be a nice practice squad player to stash for next season (as Rusty's eventual replacement). At the end of the draft, we tend to look at positions like WR, CB, OL, DL depth. Kearney gives us our perennial late-round, small-school CB with potential; Rogers is a local guy who we've had visit and who tested OK recently. Both Kearney and Rogers give us some practice squad, developmental type players.

OPENING DAY ROSTER:
QB: Jake Locker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rusty Smith
Comments: Locker and Fitzpatrick are definitely at the top of the depth chart. The question is with Rusty, who has yet to establish himself as a longterm backup. I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans drafted a late-round QB to come in and compete. However, with Locker's injury concerns and because he already knows the system, I'll give Rusty the benefit of the doubt for one more year with the rookie going to the practice squad.

RB: Chris Johnson, Shonn Greene, Zac Stacy (5th), Darius Reynaud
Comments: I think we'll enter the season with four RBs again this season. Johnson and Greene are locks at the top of the depth chart, though it remains to be see how they'll split the workload. At the very least, Greene should mark the end of the Jamie Harper era as a "big-back." While he's prone to errors in judgement, Reynaud is an explosive returner and has RB/WR versatility, so I expect him to ultimately beat our Mariani for that returner spot. That said, Reynaud didn't show much as a ball carrier during the season, so I think he's primarily a returner and occasional gimmick-play type RB. Because of that and because of CJ's uncertainty next year, I think we'll draft a mid-round guy who can be our potential longterm backup to whoever is starting there next season.

FB: Quinn Johnson
Comments: I've never been impressed with Quinn, but the coaches seem to like him. There's a chance that he could be replaced by a younger, more versatile option (Mooney) or that the coaches go with a combination of Stevens/Walker at this spot. But I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I think Quinn's spot is safe.

WR: Kenny Britt, Kendall Wright, Damien Williams, Andrew Walter, Quinton Patton (2nd)
Comments: There's talent at the WR position but also uncertainty moving forward. I think we'll enter the season with five WRs because both Reynaud and Walker can play WR in a pinch. I also think that Washington's days are numbered and that he'll be cut sometime soon. Again, I expect Reynaud to beat out Mariani in camp; and the signing of Walter -- who has experience playing inside and outside -- makes Hawkins and Preston both expendable. After all, Walter is cheaper than Hawkins and has similar size as Preston with more experience.

TE: Craig Stevens, Delanie Walker, Taylor Thompson
Comments: I think our TEs are set for this season. Not a great group but a very solid group, in my opinion. While Stevens's familiarity with the system will likely make him the "starter" on opening day, I fully expect all three guys to get significant playing time this season.

OL: Michael Roos, Andy Levitre, Fernando Velasco, Brian Winters (3rd), David Stewart, Mike Otto, Rob Turner, Chris Spencer, Byron Stingily
Comments: With all the injuries and inconsistencies on the OL last season, I expect us to enter the year with nine OL on roster, even though 1-2 guys will be inactive on gameday. Roos, Levitre, Velasco, and Stewart are all locks; and even though Otto is a bit pricey for a backup, he's a versatile veteran who knows our system. I also like the versatility and experience of Turner and Spencer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an open competition in camp between Turner and the rookie; however, I expect the rookie to win that competition.

DE: Derrick Morgan, Lavar Edwards (4th), Kamerion Wimbley, Ropati Pitoitua, Scott Solomon
Comments: Morgan played better as the season progressed. While he's unlikely to ever become a dominant sack-artist, he's good against the run and racks up QB hurries. Wimbley had moments last season but seemed to wear down as things progressed. I think he'll be more effective splitting early-downs with another DE, while also sharing some pass-rushing opportunities all year with Ayers. Pitoitua has intriguing size and provides us with DE/DT versatility. Since we traded up last season for Solomon, I expect him to get one last chance to improve on last year's no-show season to see whether he can develop into a Dave Ball type depth DE.

DT: Jurrell Casey, Sammie Lee Hill, Mike Martin, Karl Klug
Comments: While none of these guys are true "gamechangers" at the DT position, they're all solid and should be able to open up opportunities for the DEs/LBs to make plays. I think we'll see a lot of the Casey, Hill, and Martin combination; and hopefully, Klug can recapture his rookie season as that interior pass rusher on passing downs.

OLB: Akeem Ayers, Zach Brown, Moise Foku, Patrick Bailey
Comments: Ayers and Brown were lights out last season and look like longterm stalwarts at their positions. Foku was brought in to compete with McCarthy and provide valuable versatility at both MLB and OLB; he's our new, younger version of Witherspoon. Bailey's another guy who seems to always stick on our roster -- even though he's a bit overpriced and doesn't offer much in the way of LB play. Again, until he's no longer on the roster, I'm going to guess that he's there.

MLB: Colin McCarthy, Tim Shaw
Comments: Obviously, I expect McCarthy to retain the starting MLB spot, though he'll have to prove that he can stay healthy all season long, which is a big obstacle for him. In the event of injury, I think Foku will be the primary MLB backup. However, Shaw provides veteran leadership in what is otherwise a young LB core. He's a good special teamer and he's an OK spot-player at MLB as well, if needed.

CB: Jason McCourty, Xavier Rhodes (1st), Alterraun Verner, Coty Sensabaugh, Tommie Campbell
Comments: I'm not convinced that either McCourty or Verner are true #1 caliber CBs in the NFL. In fact, it seems that Verner would benefit from being moved to the slot, where his quickness and fiesty play would be beneficial. (He's more quick than fast.) I'm intrigued to see how the coaches use Sensabaugh and Campbell this season, as both have potential. Depending on how Verner plays in this contract season, I think we could see Sensabaugh get more playing time in preparation for next year, where he very well might replace Verner on the inside.

FS: Michael Griffin, Markelle Martin
Comments: Whether we like it or not, Griffin is the starting FS again this year. Hopefully, he'll improve as the full-time FS rather than switching back and forth this year. After all, he's a better ballhawk than tackler. I'm interested to see what Martin can do -- whether he's a potential replacement for Griffin next year or whether he's just a backup FS in the NFL.

SS: George Wilson, Bernard Pollard, D.J. Swearinger (3rd)
Comments: With Gregg Williams in town, I expect us to play more 3-safety sets. So, even though Wilson is the "starter," I expect Pollard to get significant playing time as well. That said, Wilson is old and Pollard is only here on a short-term contract, so I expect the team to look to a mid-to-late round developmental FS/SS -- someone who could potential replace one of these guys next season.

ST: K Rob Bironas, P Bret Kern, Beau Brinkley
Comments: No surprises here. Kern and Brinkley played well last season; and even though he's on the downswing of his career, Bironas should be able to give us 1-2 more decent seasons.

Last edited by MicktheGreat : 04-04-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Right, I'm not talking about cutting him this offseason, but rather next offseason (2014).
Yeah I meaning after the 2013 season, since the contract doesn't actually start until the season starts that was just the easiest way to say it.

So basically, we're gonna keep Stevens this year. But next year he'd save 500k because he wouldn't be on the team for 2014 season
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicktheGreat View Post
Local Visits:
QB Jordan Rodgers (Vanderbilt)
RB Zac Stacy (Vanderbilt)
RB Trabis Ward (Tennessee State)
FB Ben Bartholomew (Tennessee)
WR Zach Rogers (Tennessee)
DE Collins Ukwu (Kentucky)
DT Rob Lohr (Vanderbilt)

Senior Bowl / Combine / PreDraft Visits:
OT Luke Joeckel (TX A&M)
OT Kyle Long (Oregon)
OG Chance Warmack (Alabama)
OG Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina)
OG Larry Warford (Kentucky)
OG Brian Winters (Kent St)
OG Justin Pugh (Syracuse)
OG/C Barrett Jones (Alabama)
OG/C Brian Schwenke (Cal)
WR Quinton Patton (LA Tech)
DE Barkevious Mingo (LSU)
DE/OLB Dion Jordan (Oregon)
DT Sharrif Floyd (Florida)
MLB Manti Te'o (Notre Dame)
CB Will Davis (Utah St)
CB Sanders Commings (Georgia)
SS Kenny Vaccaro (Texas)
SS Jonathan Cyprien (Florida International)
For me, the guy that sticks out the most in this list is Barkevious Mingo. It's the one position of the first round prospects that we haven't addressed yet and with Gregg Williams history of D-Lineman I think it's an obvious scheme fit.

With how it's looking right now, Mingo is going to be the selection. So we might as well start mocking him to us right now
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was flipping through a draft magazine from February the other day in the supermarket. This is what they had for the Titans in the first three rounds:

1. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
2. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
3. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

Obviously it won't happen now that stocks have changed but god damn I would have a rod for a week if it somehow did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Apparently Xavier Rhodes is coming in for a visit.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Apparently Xavier Rhodes is coming in for a visit.
At this point, I think it's relatively safe to say that, barring any surprise picks in front of us, our first-round pick will be either Xavier Rhodes, Barkevious Mingo, Chance Warmack, or Jonathan Cooper. All four guys have met with team representatives, and we almost always draft somebody that we meet with.

Honestly, I think you could potentially make an argument for any of those guys based on talent -- though I'm least interested in Mingo (as we already have two DE/OLB hybrid guys in Wimbley & Ayers) and I'm most interested in Warmack (who I've been a fan of for a long time on this board). But, as I said earlier today, if I had to make a bet, I'd bet on Rhodes being the pick when all is said and done.