Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Do we have a top 10 D-Line?

We didn't last year and the defense as a whole paid the price. We all now that we went into this off season trying to get younger and faster on that side of the ball, which we did. As I look right now the line can and should be very good, we traded for Sims to be a run stuffer and maybe get at the Qb a little bit, but what I'm most happy about is on passing downs the 2nd and 14 or the 3rd and 9's our line should look something like this... Rice, Wyms, Carter, Adams.

Now with this line I can also guarantee that our D will get off the field on 3rd downs and there will be no more 60,70, or 80 yard drives on us like last year.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Three Step Drop

yet to be convinced the line is any better overall than it was last year

the only plus could be Adams, Carter is getting on and Sims has a lot to prove IMO
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.

I'm not overly excited about the DL. We went into this offseason with cap room and draft picks in a year where we desperately needed DT help and it was a bad year for teams looking for DT help.

You shoudlnt even factor SIms into the equation yet. As of now he is no better than Jovan Haye or Julian Jenkins.

Hovan and Adams should be solid, real solid. I dont believe the rumors that Adams will be a situational pas srusher. Greg Spires was absolutely terrible last year, and we wont leave a guy like Adams on the bench so Spires can play. I'm not a fan of Rice anymore, I dont think he will contribute much. I dont want to get into that though, because I know tehre will be plent y of people who ilwl debate taht with me and with good arguments too. I simply dont have faith in Rice anymore to be anythign mroe than an average pass rusher who is decent against the run when he wants to be. I dont know what to think of Kevin Carter. Id prefer him to play LDE, but we are so short at UT that unless Greg Peterson or Ryan SIms really come out of nowhere we will be stuck with Carter at UT. I expect a Chidi Ahanotu of a couple of years ago, type of performance out of Carter for us. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 sacks, and an acnhor against the run.

Im not excited, I think Hovan will get no more than 3 sacks playing NT. Carter will get no mroe than 6-8 sacks at UT. Rice will struggle to get 10 sacks. And if Adams starts, which he should, I think he will get close to 10 sacks. It could be worse, but we desperately need a UT who can rush the pass
Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont see how anyone thinks we are DESPATE for an UT. I mean yeah we can improve, but our situation is not horrible there. It will be a fairly solid rotation. Will def look for a young guy to groom next year.

Rice will have a good bounce back year IMO

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We aren't a top 10 defensive line at the moment. But with the additions of Adams, Sims, Peterson and Carter we could be in for a welcome surprise.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First of all there is no such thing as a "top 10 defensive line". Teams are ranked as a unit based on categories such as run defense, pass rush, etc. "Top 10 DLine" is a vague basis for ranking and it's difficult to evaluate. Has our pass rush improved? Most likely. Has our run defense improved? Not really.

I agree with Black about our DT situation. Wyms & Hovan are intended to be our starters for the next 2-3 years at the minimum. We wouldn't have traded Booger if we were'nt comfortable with Ellis Wyms as our main UT. He's a quick pass rusher and well-versed in the system. His main weakness is his durability which is why we are grooming a replacement (Peterson) and we signed a high-profile backup (Carter). An upgrade at the position would be a nice luxury but it's far from necessary and far from our biggest need. We are more likely to target a LT, WR or LDE with our first selection next year (I know it's early).

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
First of all there is no such thing as a "top 10 defensive line". Teams are ranked as a unit based on categories such as run defense, pass rush, etc. "Top 10 DLine" is a vague basis for ranking and it's difficult to evaluate. Has our pass rush improved? Most likely. Has our run defense improved? Not really.

I agree with Black about our DT situation. Wyms & Hovan are intended to be our starters for the next 2-3 years at the minimum. We wouldn't have traded Booger if we were'nt comfortable with Ellis Wyms as our main UT. He's a quick pass rusher and well-versed in the system. His main weakness is his durability which is why we are grooming a replacement (Peterson) and we signed a high-profile backup (Carter). An upgrade at the position would be a nice luxury but it's far from necessary and far from our biggest need. We are more likely to target a LT, WR or LDE with our first selection next year (I know it's early).
Eww, just eww. Sure Hovan is a capable NT and I really have no problem with him starting for the next 2-3 years. Wyms on the other hand, is more of an impact player rather than a starting caliber guy. He will do for a while but if we have the option of improving that position via the draft next year, we should definitely take it.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Eww, just eww. Sure Hovan is a capable NT and I really have no problem with him starting for the next 2-3 years. Wyms on the other hand, is more of an impact player rather than a starting caliber guy. He will do for a while but if we have the option of improving that position via the draft next year, we should definitely take it.
More proof of how vastly underrated Wyms is. He outplayed Booger in limited action and was a dominant force in the 3 games after Booger's trade (4 sacks, 14 tackles). Injuries derailed the rest of his season but talent-wise he is far from an impact player and he has the tenacity that is needed at the position. My only worry is his health as he is entering his prime with durability concerns.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
More proof of how vastly underrated Wyms is. He outplayed Booger in limited action and was a dominant force in the 3 games after Booger's trade (4 sacks, 14 tackles). Injuries derailed the rest of his season but talent-wise he is far from an impact player and he has the tenacity that is needed at the position. My only worry is his health as he is entering his prime with durability concerns.
We all saw what Wyms could do and if he can recreate the form he had in those 3 games then hell, we may have ourselves a player. I feel he will be able to do the job for the next season with no problems, but I don't think he is the future at the position.

We obviously drafted Peterson to develop and if we are presented with a top DT in next years draft, we should have a really good look at picking him up.