Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'll assume that the lack of effort is due to the lack of anything that vaguely substantiates the theory that the two players are comparable. but whatever. i have no problem proclaiming that javon walker is clearly the best wideout in the AFC West, because i have evidence that supports that theory. you can proclaim that they're no different athletically with a single game as evidence. yippee.
No, I can claim they are no different athletically because I have eyes. Porter, for all the trouble he causes with his jawing, is one of the more athletically impressive wideouts in the AFC, especially after the catch.

If you want to go ahead and claim that a wideouts production doesn't hinge entirely on the offense he functions in, then I suppose your welcome to, but I see no evidence for that.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
absolutely. but i like reasoning =P

moreso when there's an odd argument being made (that gates is better/more important than bailey). it's more interesting to debate the idea behind it.

i'd submit champ was more important, given the 7 (? i may not remember right) interceptions inside the opponents 5 yard line (preventing scores). the argument could be made that denver was a 6-10 team without bailey. i'm not sure you could've made the same argument for gates last year (the chargers would've been worse, but i'm not sure they would've been worse to the same degree). further, champ is one of the best run defenders at the cornerback position, so he's not just taking one player out of the game, he's helping to prevent big gains in a division with two of the best running backs in the league, allowing the linebackers to play more aggressively or to protect inside better.
It is an interesting debate. I don't mean any disrespect to Champ, he's still in my top 3. Champ's red zone picks are a good stat (why the hell do teams throw at him near the goal line?), but you can't really put a number on the impact Gates has, unless you are just comparing him to other tight ends, in which case he is the best. Taking guys out of the box, takes another tight end or linebacker out of LT's way. He doesn't need any more help. Gates usually demands a double team too, to really be effectively stopped, especially in the red zone. He's a big reason LT was such a goal line monster last year.

Champ probably has a bigger impact on his defense than Gates, just because LT is such an 800 pound gorilla, but for my money there's no bigger matchup problem in the NFL than 85.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote