Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Quote:
If you noticed in my list of needs I wanted a cheap safety to play some nickel when you don't want Roy back there. He would probably only play like 15 defensive plays in a game in very obvious pass situations and also for a changeup defensive formation.

The changeup formations would have Roy switch to a LB role in the nickel. He wouldn't be a true LB, but more like a moster back for those of you that are familiar with the role. He would be lined up a couple yards farther back than a LB and would be able to freelance quite a bit and maybe shadow certain players.
THANK YOU. OMG yes. Exactly. That's exactly what I want to do. I posted a while back that I think if we got a cheap safety who could play in Roy's place on passing downs that it could really benefit us. Also moving him to linebacker in that situation would be huge!

Watkins was probably 1 of 2 players I actually projected the Boys getting and we all wanted a guy with size who could be a ballhawk. Watkins can be, especially if we stick with him this next year.
Ya don't think Elam and Watkins at safety with Roy in Rover on 3rd gets it done?

How much cheaper can you go at the safety position? Curious ....
We mean somebody with actual talent. No offense but Elam isn't exactly what we are looking for. We mean somebody whose specialty is coverage but would be cheap.
If you want a cheap SS why not Elam? He looked pretty good pre-season and was a big time FL recruit. Miami, FSU, et al wanted him.

Unless you want to play Watkins and some other FS in a 2 Deep type alignment.

Interesting debate.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

First to 100.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I really hope we don't sit on our butts in FA, we have to be agressive, not to the point where we overpay marginal talent like Washington but we have to sign some really good FAs and have a really good draft. If we're successful in that regard I think we can legitimately compete for a super bowl next year.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
$KidCowboy$
Rookie

$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
First to 100.
nice.

What do you guys think about Michael Johnson if we were to go 2 deep and move Roy?

Thanks Tobzilla
$KidCowboy$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
I really hope we don't sit on our butts in FA, we have to be agressive, not to the point where we overpay marginal talent like Washington but we have to sign some really good FAs and have a really good draft. If we're successful in that regard I think we can legitimately compete for a super bowl next year.
I think Number 10 made light of it but it will be interesting to see how teams spend all the extra cap money and if you have Salary inflation and at what positions.

Lot so recent Cowboy contract may go from expensive to moderately ok in the matter of months.

We shall see.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
I want a new receiver as bad as the next but I feel like we are taking Crayton for granted. He is good. In fact I think he is great. Not only that but he probably has the best relationship with Romo out of all the receivers.

And another reason I don't think we go receiver is because Jerry already said TO is coming back so I don't even think the receiver position will get touched this off-season, which is unfortunate considering the draft class.
You don't think this is Jerry trying to find trade value for TO?

Can't throw him over board at this point and get something for him obviously.

Have a hard time believing this story for a variety of reasons one of which is that it hand cuffs any coach going into 2007.
That would be nice if you were right. That'd be sweet to get a pick out of him too. Ship him off to KC for like a second rounder.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
If you want a cheap SS why not Elam? He looked pretty good pre-season and was a big time FL recruit. Miami, FSU, et al wanted him.

Unless you want to play Watkins and some other FS in a 2 Deep type alignment.

Interesting debate.
I suppose Elam could work I was thinking of a veteran cover guy who wouln't make too many mistakes but doesn't have the stamina to be a fulltime starter and doesn't tackle well. But I suppose a guy like Elam could be a sleeper I am not thinking about.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I want a new receiver as bad as the next but I feel like we are taking Crayton for granted. He is good. In fact I think he is great. Not only that but he probably has the best relationship with Romo out of all the receivers.

And another reason I don't think we go receiver is because Jerry already said TO is coming back so I don't even think the receiver position will get touched this off-season, which is unfortunate considering the draft class.
You don't think this is Jerry trying to find trade value for TO?

Can't throw him over board at this point and get something for him obviously.

Have a hard time believing this story for a variety of reasons one of which is that it hand cuffs any coach going into 2007.
That would be nice if you were right. That'd be sweet to get a pick out of him too. Ship him off to KC for like a second rounder.
Given the TO soap opera just have a hard time believing the story as is. KC could certainly use him.

Overall, I do think the Cowboys have some bargainable chips for trades. Would be nice to see them be active. Give some young guys a chance to play somewhere else and use the extra picks to load up. Fasano and Burnett come to mind as being back-ups who need a shot but won't get it in Dallas.

O Line, FS, WR, RB, Backup QB and pass rushing OLB are all needs. All things being equal, I say go BPA given our talent level.

Have a great evening ladies.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Picked this from the DMN articel from Matt Mosley .... I came to BURY him not praise him ....

"Lions quarterback Jon Kitna told a Seattle radio station earlier this week that Cowboys linebacker Bradie James looked completely lost when he watched him on film. James got beat by Jerramy Stevens on the touchdown pass, but he did finish with 11 tackles Saturday."
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
If you noticed in my list of needs I wanted a cheap safety to play some nickel when you don't want Roy back there. He would probably only play like 15 defensive plays in a game in very obvious pass situations and also for a changeup defensive formation.

The changeup formations would have Roy switch to a LB role in the nickel. He wouldn't be a true LB, but more like a moster back for those of you that are familiar with the role. He would be lined up a couple yards farther back than a LB and would be able to freelance quite a bit and maybe shadow certain players.
THANK YOU. OMG yes. Exactly. That's exactly what I want to do. I posted a while back that I think if we got a cheap safety who could play in Roy's place on passing downs that it could really benefit us. Also moving him to linebacker in that situation would be huge!

Watkins was probably 1 of 2 players I actually projected the Boys getting and we all wanted a guy with size who could be a ballhawk. Watkins can be, especially if we stick with him this next year.
I wouldn't like him at a true nickel LB for more than say 5 plays a game. The monster back role which I think is very similar if not the same thing that cowboysforever's rover role is where I think he could excel.

The thing I struggle the most with Roy is that I'm not sure how much of a team player he is and how dedicated he is. He has the physical talent to be a lot better than he is, but doesn't always play within his role. The monster role could give him more freedom to make plays.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Picked this from the DMN articel from Matt Mosley .... I came to BURY him not praise him ....

"Lions quarterback Jon Kitna told a Seattle radio station earlier this week that Cowboys linebacker Bradie James looked completely lost when he watched him on film. James got beat by Jerramy Stevens on the touchdown pass, but he did finish with 11 tackles Saturday."
Just a note on the Stevens pass where it looks like Bradie is beat. Technically the coverage is designed to have a LB in zone underneath and a safety over the top. There is a hole in the zone between the two and the coverage is designed so that if the TE/Receiver is going up the field the LB can chase and force the QB to put more air under the ball to give the safety more time to react and create a more difficult pass. I'm not saying a faster LB wouldn't be better in that situation because it would, I'm just trying to explain it's more Roy's fault for being out of position than Bradie's. Bradie was performing the coverage correct to the best of his abilities, but Roy wasn't there over the top.

Like I said in my list of needs I think we need one more nickel LB. Bradie is perfect for our 3-4 and he needs his size to hold up against guards in the running game and he does a great job of that, but I never really understood why he also played in the nickel defense. He may be improved over when he came here, but he just doesn't have the physical ability to thrive in that role.

It's too bad that we didn't move Hoyte to FB earlier in the season. I think it's obvious he outplayed Polite in that role and should only get better with experience. I don't blame the coaching staff for not moving him in training camp and I actually think it's a credit to them that they did eventually move him, but if he would have been a FB in training camp we would have had one LB spot open which could have been filled by Shanle or Boiman who I think could have excelled playing in the nickel defense.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't like him at a true nickel LB for more than say 5 plays a game. The monster back role which I think is very similar if not the same thing that cowboysforever's rover role is where I think he could excel.

The thing I struggle the most with Roy is that I'm not sure how much of a team player he is and how dedicated he is. He has the physical talent to be a lot better than he is, but doesn't always play within his role. The monster role could give him more freedom to make plays.
Roy has been rewarded for mediocrity last few seasons. His best season was as a rookie behind a HOF FS.

The common comment on Roy is he is one of the most defensive players in the locker room and does not like to be critiqued. Is he selfish? Dunno.

I will say he needs to dedicate himself to being in tip top shape and getting himself back to 4.53 speed. Needs to work every day on playing SAFETY. Not LB.

Funny cuz I read his eval coming out of college and the Weaknesses listed on him coming out are EXACTLY the same he has today. As if he has not improved at all in 4 years.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Just a note on the Stevens pass where it looks like Bradie is beat. Technically the coverage is designed to have a LB in zone underneath and a safety over the top. There is a hole in the zone between the two and the coverage is designed so that if the TE/Receiver is going up the field the LB can chase and force the QB to put more air under the ball to give the safety more time to react and create a more difficult pass. I'm not saying a faster LB wouldn't be better in that situation because it would, I'm just trying to explain it's more Roy's fault for being out of position than Bradie's. Bradie was performing the coverage correct to the best of his abilities, but Roy wasn't there over the top.

Like I said in my list of needs I think we need one more nickel LB. Bradie is perfect for our 3-4 and he needs his size to hold up against guards in the running game and he does a great job of that, but I never really understood why he also played in the nickel defense. He may be improved over when he came here, but he just doesn't have the physical ability to thrive in that role.

It's too bad that we didn't move Hoyte to FB earlier in the season. I think it's obvious he outplayed Polite in that role and should only get better with experience. I don't blame the coaching staff for not moving him in training camp and I actually think it's a credit to them that they did eventually move him, but if he would have been a FB in training camp we would have had one LB spot open which could have been filled by Shanle or Boiman who I think could have excelled playing in the nickel defense.
Good point on Hoyte and the implications with Boiman or Shanle.

I strongly disagree with you argument over needing Bradie or Akin playing 250-260 to hold up versus the run.

No other 3-4 team has such big ILB. In addition plus 10 pounds don't mean much when guards are playing 310-330 pounds.

BP's vision of ILB's is very 80s when Guards ran 280 lbs and his ILBs where 240-245. Guards where not big and usually where not terribly athletic either. 40 lbs of difference does not make up for the athletics.

330 versus 250 is 80 pounds. DOUBLE is a huge difference and also Guards are more athletic today if you ask me.

Sorry but given the size disparity I would just as soon have guys who are fast and can play coverage.

With that said, I think we need a bigger, more powerful NT. All the good 3-4 play 325lbs plus at NT and Fergie is 310. Wilfork, Hampton, Williams are 325 to 345.

I know I am repeating but it seems so obvious to me. I fault BP for this misconfiguration.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I strongly disagree with you argument over needing Bradie or Akin playing 250-260 to hold up versus the run.

No other 3-4 team has such big ILB. In addition plus 10 pounds don't mean much when guards are playing 310-330 pounds.

BP's vision of ILB's is very 80s when Guards ran 280 lbs and his ILBs where 240-245. Guards where not big and usually where not terribly athletic either. 40 lbs of difference does not make up for the athletics.

330 versus 250 is 80 pounds. DOUBLE is a huge difference and also Guards are more athletic today if you ask me.

Sorry but given the size disparity I would just as soon have guys who are fast and can play coverage.

With that said, I think we need a bigger, more powerful NT. All the good 3-4 play 325lbs plus at NT and Fergie is 310. Wilfork, Hampton, Williams are 325 to 345.

I know I am repeating but it seems so obvious to me. I fault BP for this misconfiguration.
Well, something that I know you're absolutely wrong on is Fergie. He may not be the size of other DTs, but he does an outstanding job of defending the run. If you were to criticize him it would be that he isn't a pass rushing force like a Wilfork is, but I don't really expect that out of him. He is big enough and he dominates his opponent every week.

I'm not going to argue that a 230 pound LB can't go up against a 315 poung guard. We all saw Dat Nguyen do it last year and he was good at it. Being bigger allows you to not lose your stamina when doing it over the course of a game or a season. Bradie James is good enough at pass defense to do it when we're in the 3-4 and they pass, but I think we should get bring another guy in when we go to nickel or dime and are putting pass defense as a priority.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, if we want to talk about Free Agency, who do you guys want?

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, something that I know you're absolutely wrong on is Fergie. He may not be the size of other DTs, but he does an outstanding job of defending the run. If you were to criticize him it would be that he isn't a pass rushing force like a Wilfork is, but I don't really expect that out of him. He is big enough and he dominates his opponent every week.

I'm not going to argue that a 230 pound LB can't go up against a 315 poung guard. We all saw Dat Nguyen do it last year and he was good at it. Being bigger allows you to not lose your stamina when doing it over the course of a game or a season. Bradie James is good enough at pass defense to do it when we're in the 3-4 and they pass, but I think we should get bring another guy in when we go to nickel or dime and are putting pass defense as a priority.
I love Fergie. I have nothing but nice things to say of him. I think he is above average but he is not in Jamaal Williams, Hampton or Wilfork's class.

Well, Bradie may some day be good in coverage but according to Jon Kitna and my eye balls he is horrid.

I just don't see how you can keep Bradie James and Roy Williams on the field at the same time and expect to provide adequate pass coverage versus TE and RBs or WR in crossing routes.

One liability. OK, we can "scheme" that. But 2 liabilities at the same time in the same middle area of the field? It would be like playing two DTs at 250 lbs in a 4-3.

I just can not see it happening.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, if you haven't seen our opponents for next year, it's good news. We play N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Green Bay, Minnesota, St. Louis, New England, N.Y. Jets at Home. N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Buffalo, Miami Away. Wow. At this point, that looks very good.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
Well, if we want to talk about Free Agency, who do you guys want?
Well the hardest spot on the field to get rookies to play big time is OL so ...... I guess number 1 priority. My only problem is how can you justify spending AGAIN on a Guard. Jeez.

The second area is an edge rusher and young DT/NT. Adalius Thomas (big $$$$$) and Sands from Oakland (will draw some interest).
Old 01-07-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Also, if you haven't seen our opponents for next year, it's good news. We play N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Green Bay, Minnesota, St. Louis, New England, N.Y. Jets at Home. N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Carolina, Buffalo, Miami Away. Wow. At this point, that looks very good.
AFC East is fairly weak but Buf and Jets are vastly improved.

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St Louis, Carolina and GreenBay don't scare anybody. Only Greenbay looks to be much better next year.

I am going on a limb and predicting 13-3 if BP comes back.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Don't crap on Carolina because they underperformed this season. They're still a dangerous team, and I expect them to bounce back next season.

All I'll say about Saturday night is I came away from it with a new dent in the side of my car. Frustration will do that.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Petrino to ATL.

By the way on the TO, Marco Rivera, Kosier, Williams and James contracts etc...... if cut them or trade them ..... (I know we won't)

Before June 1 -- we would have dead cap of Vanderjerk (1.6) + TO (6.6MM) + Rivera (5.4MM) + Kosier (4MM) + Williams (7.75MM) + Bradie (6.4MM) = 31.4MM

After June 1 Dead Cap = 1.6 + 3.3 + 2.7 + 2 + 3.8 + 3.2 = 16.6

At least based on what is published on the internet about the contracts given. JBJ is a generous man with mediocre talent
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Petrino to ATL.

By the way on the TO, Marco Rivera, Kosier, Williams and James contracts etc...... if cut them or trade them ..... (I know we won't)

Before June 1 -- we would have dead cap of Vanderjerk (1.6) + TO (6.6MM) + Rivera (5.4MM) + Kosier (4MM) + Williams (7.75MM) + Bradie (6.4MM) = 31.4MM

After June 1 Dead Cap = 1.6 + 3.3 + 2.7 + 2 + 3.8 + 3.2 = 16.6

At least based on what is published on the internet about the contracts given. JBJ is a generous man with mediocre talent
Where did you find that info?

BoneKrusher
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX
Don't crap on Carolina because they underperformed this season. They're still a dangerous team, and I expect them to bounce back next season.

All I'll say about Saturday night is I came away from it with a new dent in the side of my car. Frustration will do that.
I'll crap on Carolina all I want until they get a real QB.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

I can't remember who pointed this guys out...but his name was mentioned about 10 pages ago.

Sabby Piscitelli (6'2", 221, 4.52)
He is a SS playing for Oregon State. He is at his best when playing in a zone. Has a mean streak. Possesses adequate top-end speed and shows adequate range. Possesses good athletic ability, can change directions quickly and flashes the ability to stay with tight ends in man coverage. Is tall, has good leaping ability and can compete for jump balls. Has good ball skills and flashes the ability to make the big play in coverage. Plays with a good motor and should make special teams' contributions early on.

He has trouble disengaging blocks and he won't be able to man up one on one with the slot reciever.

Anyways...this guy screams what your calling for to me. He is a second day pick at this point..and won't run a great time. He could do wonders playing deep middle with Watkins...plus we would have good size back their against the deep ball.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 AM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

V. Young hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Stupid romo, cut em cutem
V. Young is offline   Reply With Quote