Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
This post makes me laugh. hahahaha. LOVE IT.

I hope everyone else sees what I see.
What are you talking about? You make garbage claims like that when you have lost an argument. Accepting defeat. Honorable at least.

Tell me, how is Rob Ryan good? What has he ever done? His defenses have been average to below average his entire career and he's never been on a winning team.

Don't make excuses about having no talent. People have done better with worse. And don't tell me he makes his players accountable. No he doesn't at all. Our defense was pathetic at times this year and he still raved about how they were great. He never called anyone out. If you don't have public accountability, there is no accountability. That's a major problem with this team. Sometimes people need to be called out in public. You can't fix everything in house.

It would be fine if we lost in ordinary fashion to great QB's. But the way we blew the lead against the Giants the 1st game? What the Eagles did to us? How we made Rex Grossman, Matt Moore, and Kevin Kolb look like 1st ballot HOFers? Come on now man. He's average. I'd almost venture to say he's below average.

So give me something that proves Rob Ryan is good. There is no evidence. He's living on his last name and being a good interview for the media. I hope i'm wrong because obviously I want the Cowboys to win, but he's just another guy bro.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 02-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To add to CDCB's point, it's been stated that Rob must have CBs and a good secondary to make his defense work. Right?

Well he had Joe Haden, who's been brilliant so far in his career, even as a rookie, Sheldon Brown who still had a solid year or 2 left in the tank as a #2, and TJ Ward at safety.

Hardly a terrible secondary. 22nd ranked defense in the league.

And his replacement, as CDCB's pointed out, took the same unit and made it the 10th ranked defense in the league. Sure, they added a player or 2, but that front 7 of the Browns is hardly intimidating.

Rob is not a great DC. I'm sorry, I just don't see it at all. That's why I think it's dumb to avoid a transition to a 4-3 defense with Mario Williams bc you have Rob Ryan and his scheme. His scheme is mediocre. Who cares about Rob, he's not a premier DC that you have to build your players around.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
What are you talking about? You make garbage claims like that when you have lost an argument. Accepting defeat. Honorable at least.

Tell me, how is Rob Ryan good? What has he ever done? His defenses have been average to below average his entire career and he's never been on a winning team.

Don't make excuses about having no talent. People have done better with worse. And don't tell me he makes his players accountable. No he doesn't at all. Our defense was pathetic at times this year and he still raved about how they were great.

It would be fine if we lost in ordinary fashion to great QB's. But the way we blew the lead against the Giants the 1st game? What the Eagles did to us? How we made Rex Grossman, Matt Moore, and Kevin Kolb look like 1st ballot HOFers? Come on now man. He's average. I'd almost venture to say he's below average.

So give me something that proves Rob Ryan is good. There is no evidence. He's living on his last name and being a good interview for the media. I hope i'm wrong because obviously I want the Cowboys to win, but he's just another guy bro.
You're trying so hard to disagree with me and be right about something (anything) that you're grasping on to straws and putting yourself in position to hate your own team. Classic.

What's sad is when this defense gets turned around with Rob, you're always going to be labeled the hater. Smooth move.

BTW, D'Qwell Jackson didn't play in 2010. If you tallied all the differences, it'd be staggering that's why comparing defenses against each other year to year is always a fickle argument. But I think it's kinda cute that you think the only difference is the DC with everything else staying constant. ^_^
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To add to CDCB's point, it's been stated that Rob must have CBs and a good secondary to make his defense work. Right?

Well he had Joe Haden, who's been brilliant so far in his career, even as a rookie, Sheldon Brown who still had a solid year or 2 left in the tank as a #2, and TJ Ward at safety.

And his replacement, as CDCB's pointed out, took the same unit and made it the 10th ranked defense in the league. Sure, they added a player or 2, but that front 7 of the Browns is hardly intimidating.

Rob is not a great DC. I'm sorry, I just don't see it at all. That's why I think it's dumb to avoid a transition to a 4-3 defense with Mario Williams bc you have Rob Ryan and his scheme. His scheme is mediocre. Who cares about Rob, he's not a premier DC that you have to build your players around.
I'm not too much into the labels of coaches being "great", "good", "awesome" or "fantastic".

I like what he brings to the team and I believe in him. I'll just leave it at that. It's just my opinion.

I'm sure people have a general consensus that the Giants defense is more talented than the Cowboys. But we were better against the run than the Giants and it wasn't even close. If we can fix our secondary, I have great optimism for next season.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Middle linebacker D'Qwell Jackson will get the franchise tag if the Cleveland Browns are unable to sign him to a multiyear deal, The Plain Dealer of Cleveland reported Friday, citing a league source.
Always the likely scenario but pretty much puts a nail in the coffin. I wanted a cheaper vet to challenge Bruce Carter for the starting spot anyhow not one that eliminates the possibility of him starting.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not too much into the labels of coaches being "great", "good", "awesome" or "fantastic".

I like what he brings to the team and I believe in him. I'll just leave it at that. It's just my opinion.

I'm sure people have a general consensus that the Giants defense is more talented than the Cowboys. But we were better against the run than the Giants and it wasn't even close. If we can fix our secondary, I have great optimism for next season.
You should be optimistic. This is a good Cowboys team. The offense can put up points, the defense needs a couple of pieces to be fixed. I guess we just disagree on 2 things:

1. Rob Ryan
2. On how to fix the defense. You want players in the secondary, I think getting 2 guys up front (Mario and an interior pass rusher) would be the best fix.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thank you, I'll leave it at that.

We can win with Rob Ryan, but he is no prodigy of the 3-4 by any means. I mean really, give me a better pass rush, a CB or two, a safety with range, and a true NT and i'll coach a top 10 defense too.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Thank you, I'll leave it at that.

We can win with Rob Ryan, but he is no prodigy of the 3-4 by any means. I mean really, give me a better pass rush, a CB or two, a safety with range, and a true NT and i'll coach a top 10 defense too.
Did you expect him to improve a Wade Phillips defense with just Kenyon Coleman and Abram Elam? Because he did.

Why is Rob Ryan bad? You just admitted that we lacked talent to have a good pass rush, plus the need for 2 corners, a coverage safety and a NT. What exactly DID you want him to do WITHOUT all that???

The bashing seems unjustified. You don't like his resume??? He has 2 Super Bowl rings on that resume, btw.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any opinions on Cliff Avril as a FA option? Personally I'd rather keep Spencer because he is familiar with the system and has adjusted to standing up in the 3-4 but Avril is a better pass rusher imo. At 6'3 260 he has the size and athleticism that would potentially translate although it would be somewhat of a gamble to spend a good chunk of money on someone changing positions.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Any opinions on Cliff Avril as a FA option? Personally I'd rather keep Spencer because he is familiar with the system and has adjusted to standing up in the 3-4 but Avril is a better pass rusher imo. At 6'3 260 he has the size and athleticism that would potentially translate although it would be somewhat of a gamble to spend a good chunk of money on someone changing positions.
I've thought about this one too, but not sure about spending that kind of cash for a guy to move positions.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Cliff is a tough call. I always felt he's a little overrated. On a dline that lacks an elite edge guy, his best season was this season (contract year) where he got 11 sacks. Don't forget they play wide 9, which inflates sack numbers.

He just doesn't wow me. He's good, don't get me wrong, I just don't know if he's a difference maker. And if I'm Dallas, I don't want a guy opposite Ware that's just good. I want a difference maker.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cliff is a tough call. I always felt he's a little overrated. On a dline that lacks an elite edge guy, his best season was this season (contract year) where he got 11 sacks. Don't forget they play wide 9, which inflates sack numbers.

He just doesn't wow me. He's good, don't get me wrong, I just don't know if he's a difference maker. And if I'm Dallas, I don't want a guy opposite Ware that's just good. I want a difference maker.
Hence why Spencer doesn't fit. Mario is the only FA out there that fits the bill of difference maker.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...es-the-chiefs/

Looks like Carr might be there in FA.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, was about to come in to post the same. Chiefs chose Routt over Carr, who apparently wants a deal comparable to what Flowers has.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

If the Saints get a deal done with Brees prior to FA starting, it's likely Nicks will get the tag. Let's hope that deal doesn't get done.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
If the Saints get a deal done with Brees prior to FA starting, it's likely Nicks will get the tag. Let's hope that deal doesn't get done.
I admit... you guys suckered me into thinking Nicks would be available as of recently. This post reminds me of what I used to think and I think it sounds more realistic.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You should be optimistic. This is a good Cowboys team. The offense can put up points, the defense needs a couple of pieces to be fixed. I guess we just disagree on 2 things:

1. Rob Ryan
2. On how to fix the defense. You want players in the secondary, I think getting 2 guys up front (Mario and an interior pass rusher) would be the best fix.
I hate to agree with a Giant fan, but I do on this point. But saying the offense can score points? I don't think that is a good enough evaluation of them. Interior offensive line help is needed, bad.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Did you expect him to improve a Wade Phillips defense with just Kenyon Coleman and Abram Elam? Because he did.
He improved on the statistics of a unit that had given up on it's coordinator. He did not improve a Wade Phillips defence.

And even with those two additions they still improved the overall unit(squad's quality in depth). Given the strength of the unit(how good we have seen it in the past) there was nowhere near enough improvement. Not for someone so lippy to the media and who came in with the ego he has. Don't get me wrong. I'm a massive fan of confidence in one's ability. But you absolutely have to back that confidence up.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I admit... you guys suckered me into thinking Nicks would be available as of recently. This post reminds me of what I used to think and I think it sounds more realistic.
That's why he's been off my wish list for a while now. I've settled for the fact we can get a solid player out of the draft.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

The Redskins have a ton of cap room to play with. This could be scary knowing their past of overpricing the market and gobbling up players. I know they haven't as much in recent years, but that's because of all the spending they had done in years past.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
PrimeTime
Rookie

PrimeTime hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just don't see the justification for spending the money it will require to get Nicks out of FA. We can draft a guard.

Mario Williams is an intriguing FA target, but I feel he was at his best in a 4-3... but it's obvious he knows how to get after the passer.

Out of the two, I would have to go after Mario, as elite pass rushers are harder to acquire than great OL IMO... we'll see how it goes, however.
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
I just don't see the justification for spending the money it will require to get Nicks out of FA. We can draft a guard.

Mario Williams is an intriguing FA target, but I feel he was at his best in a 4-3... but it's obvious he knows how to get after the passer.

Out of the two, I would have to go after Mario, as elite pass rushers are harder to acquire than great OL IMO... we'll see how it goes, however.
I agree fully with you on Nicks. He'd be great to have, but not at the price we'd have to pay. I feel our secondary and along the D front seven are more important. Granted, we do need help in the IL, but not at that cost.

As for Mario, my only concern and it's not the money is how will he handle being in coverage some. I didn't see any Texans games last year when he was healthy, so I cannot comment on that. Because we won't have both Ware and Mario rushing all the time.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Super Mario is not a realistic target on soooo many levels.

1. Pass rushers demand massive contracts and by the time FA rolls around we'll be "average" in terms of cap space.

2. Super Mario wants to return to playing in his comfort zone (4-3) and back to point #1 someone will pay him handsomely to do so.

3. Houston has the inside track on ALL negotiations. They can give him the money he desires and end it with a long term deal. If unsuccessful they can tag him and prevent him from hitting the open market.

If Houston tags him then in order to grab Mario you have to give up a high pick or two PLUS sign him to a top of the line DE contract.

As has been mentioned 100 times here our targets are not going to be the top guy in any position more than likely we'll end up "spreading the love" across our needs and ending up with a bunch of mid-level guys.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Super Mario is not a realistic target on soooo many levels.

1. Pass rushers demand massive contracts and by the time FA rolls around we'll be "average" in terms of cap space.

2. Super Mario wants to return to playing in his comfort zone (4-3) and back to point #1 someone will pay him handsomely to do so.

3. Houston has the inside track on ALL negotiations. They can give him the money he desires and end it with a long term deal. If unsuccessful they can tag him and prevent him from hitting the open market.

If Houston tags him then in order to grab Mario you have to give up a high pick or two PLUS sign him to a top of the line DE contract.

As has been mentioned 100 times here our targets are not going to be the top guy in any position more than likely we'll end up "spreading the love" across our needs and ending up with a bunch of mid-level guys.
Right now Houston doesn't have enough cap room to sign their janitor. They have to free up some space to get him signed. And you say he wants to return to DE, I personally haven't seen or read anything that reflects that.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are two very good articles on why it's insane to franchise Spencer.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/02/...y-17th-choice/

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/02/...pencers-shoes/

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote