Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, for the record, under the new CBA, the franchise tag is now the average of the last five years of salary for the highest paid player, which makes it significantly lower.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not sure anyone wants to draft a guard in the top half of the first round. But I feel that it is the weakest link on the team. I would much rather get a guard in free agency and draft a high dollar player. D Unit is right about that, 100 percent IMO.

The problem is I think many of us are not sure the Cowboys will address the guard position in Free agency to the extent they need to. They can't just go get one. They need multiple new interior linemen.

That is why I think guard might be a must come draft time.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the franchise tag is much lower then it doesn't anger me if they franchise Spencer. If they wanted to keep some stability there it makes sense because Anthony is nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. I only want an attitude change as a replacement, but his play is very good besides the overrated sack stats.

With Carr I'm a big fan. The guy really sticks to receivers and plays the ball well. I can see him being a very underrated FA pickup. If they get him and a guy like Boykin or Dennard after the first it could really change things in the secondary for the better. The price tag for Carr might be too high, so if that's the case Finnegan could be a good one. The thing to keep in mind is that the numbers for free agents keeps increasing, so what may seem like too much may not be the case now when the market is higher. At least they're looking at corners and acknowledging the problem. I wonder what they are thinking about with the safeties.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
IRVING, Texas -- Much has been made about the Cowboys thinking about the possibility of using the franchise tag on outside linebacker Anthony Spencer.

At $8.8 million, some (many?) believe that is too high of a price for a player who has never had more than six sacks in a season.

Now we point to Exhibit A why it might be the best wisest move the Cowboys can make: San Franciscos Ahmad Brooks signed a six-year deal with San Francisco worth $7 million a year.

Brooks has started 16 games in a season just once in his career. Spencer has done it in two of the last three seasons. He started 15 of 16 games in 2011.

Using the same press box stats for fairness to compare the players, Spencer has 266 tackles, 21.5 sacks, one interception, 10 pass deflections and 10 forced fumbles in 53 starts. Brooks has 139 tackles, 20 sacks, one interception, nine pass deflections and seven forced fumbles in 24 starts.

There is no doubt Spencer is the best outside linebacker in free agency, especially if you consider Mario Williams a defensive end.

Earlier in the morning I did more than wonder whether Spencer would get the franchise tag. Now Id almost guarantee Spencer will get the franchise tag.
Pretty much what I"ve been saying about Spencer...while I want him gone....we need to take a step back and REALLY take a look at how good(or bad) he's played. He's not half as bad as Boys fans would like to think. 8 Million a year is too much, I'm hoping they can settle on a 3 or 4 year deal around 5-7 million a year...but if they franchise him, go after Carr, Decastro in the 1st round, and DL/CB/QB in the later rounds....I'd be pretty happy with this offseason.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bart Scott anyone at a decent price? He will be 32 by the time the season starts, but he brings some good attitude and plays the run really well. He could be a good vet for Carter to learn behind for a year while he's gaining some reps. Not saying I want this, but just an option.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Pretty much what I"ve been saying about Spencer...while I want him gone....we need to take a step back and REALLY take a look at how good(or bad) he's played. He's not half as bad as Boys fans would like to think. 8 Million a year is too much, I'm hoping they can settle on a 3 or 4 year deal around 5-7 million a year...but if they franchise him, go after Carr, Decastro in the 1st round, and DL/CB/QB in the later rounds....I'd be pretty happy with this offseason.
5-7 I could deal with I think.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree here, but there is also the issue of people wanting to replace him with a pure pass rusher instead of thinking about the run game. No offense to Robert Mathis, but getting him would be a step back. While he is an excellent pass rusher, he would really hurt the running game. If Spencer is replaced I want him replaced with a guy that won't be a terrible liability against the run or pass. A strong side backer isn't a guy that's going to get double digit sacks outside of some exceptional cases. If they get Mario I'd be ultra happy because he is great all around, but people need to be really think about favoring one thing that creates a big hole somewhere else.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would much rather have Nicks than Carr. Sign Nicks and draft Phillip Blake in the 4th and our offensive is set for the next 5 years. Focus the rest of the funds on defense. Nicks would probably be a decent amount cheaper than Carr as well, and he's a better player at his position. Carl Nicks is the Darrelle Revis of offensive guards, Carr is not in that class.

But of course it makes too much sense, so it isn't going to happen.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...igh-draft-pick

Blogging the Boys reading our forum for their content? haha. jk. ironic though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I would much rather have Nicks than Carr. Sign Nicks and draft Phillip Blake in the 4th and our offensive is set for the next 5 years. Focus the rest of the funds on defense. Nicks would probably be a decent amount cheaper than Carr as well, and he's a better player at his position. Carl Nicks is the Darrelle Revis of offensive guards, Carr is not in that class.

But of course it makes too much sense, so it isn't going to happen.
I think you're stretching by calling him the Revis of guards.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's just funny to see all the different opinions on the right/wrong way to go. It's like...."IT HAS TO BE NICKS, IF NOT THE BOYS ARE DOOMED", and the same goes for the Carr/Mario/Etc camps.

All we can hope for is that Garrett and Co. have done their due diligence and attack this offseason in an appropriate manner. Let's not get our panties in a bunch if it's not how we would attack it. Too many holes to satisfy everyone, and I"m sure the front office knows that.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's just funny to see all the different opinions on the right/wrong way to go. It's like...."IT HAS TO BE NICKS, IF NOT THE BOYS ARE DOOMED", and the same goes for the Carr/Mario/Etc camps.

All we can hope for is that Garrett and Co. have done their due diligence and attack this offseason in an appropriate manner. Let's not get our panties in a bunch if it's not how we would attack it. Too many holes to satisfy everyone, and I"m sure the front office knows that.
Yeah, we should keep that in mind. Who knows what is happening behind the scenes? They could really be trying to make a deal to get someone we really like, but it doesn't go through for whatever reason. I have my preferences with what happens in the offseason, but I know that it won't happen exactly that way. I think what we all can agree on is that we want them to at least try to address the big issues.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think there's only one guy who's panicking about there only being a limited number of options out there for us to do or else we're doomed.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think there's only one guy who's panicking about there only being a limited number of options out there for us to do or else we're doomed.
Yea...I guess so...haha.

Just seems like the more I read, the more the consensus top Free Agents are looking to be unavailable. Texans are trying to create cap space to resign Mario, Carr can still get tagged, Nicks can still get tagged(if Brees finishes his deal). A lot of moving parts that the Boys have no control of...They just need to make smart moves at this point.

What are folks' thoughts on Tyvon Branch? Looks like a cap casualty of the Raiders.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yea...I guess so...haha.

Just seems like the more I read, the more the consensus top Free Agents are looking to be unavailable. Texans are trying to create cap space to resign Mario, Carr can still get tagged, Nicks can still get tagged(if Brees finishes his deal). A lot of moving parts that the Boys have no control of...They just need to make smart moves at this point.

What are folks' thoughts on Tyvon Branch? Looks like a cap casualty of the Raiders.
He's the best Safety FA this year imo. ...which is not really saying a lot, but still... Would welcome him with open arms. He's an excellent run stuffer and pass rusher, but he has some issues in coverage (improving though, and still young).
Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yea...I guess so...haha.

I'm hoping Wimbley is a cap casualty as well. I'd rather spend that money on him than Spencer.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Also, for Tyvon Branch, I did hear they could give either him or Michael Bush the Franchise Tag... :/

What do you think of Mike Adams? Did you see my mock post? :)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...7&#post2879457

I was looking at affordability there, but I also found several other pluses that make a lot of sense for us.

I like Michael Griffin too. I hope we have a chance there.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh hey everybody:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ct-sources-say

Quote:
The New Orleans Saints and quarterback Drew Brees still remain a ways apart in their efforts to produce a long-term contract, according to league sources.

If the two sides cannot make considerable progress from where they are today, the Saints will be forced to use their franchise tag on Brees by the Monday deadline.
So there you have it, 95% chance (like I have been saying) that Nicks hits the open market. The only way they can keep him is with the franchise tag, and they will have to use it on Brees. Nicks also just tweeted he doesn't want to be franchised either.

I never said we would land Nicks if he hits the market, I just said he would hit the market. I don't get where you had this idea in your head that they would sign Brees and franchise Nicks. It wasn't going to happen. For all you know they could franchise Colston instead even if they sign Brees.

I don't get why you make these assumptions without doing any research. It was obvious that they weren't going to reach a deal with Brees in time to franchise Nicks, if they even would franchise Nicks. I'm just being logical here.

Now, if it gets done I will say you were right and eat crow, but it's probably not going to happen and that is what I have been saying all along. And I was backing my statements up by league sources instead of just making assumptions with no substance.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Judging by Nicks' tweets, he's looking to get straight pizzaid, and he'll undoubtedly go to the highest bidder. I'm not sure i wanna get involved in that.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Oh hey everybody:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ct-sources-say

So there you have it, 95% chance (like I have been saying) that Nicks hits the open market. The only way they can keep him is with the franchise tag, and they will have to use it on Brees. Nicks also just tweeted he doesn't want to be franchised either.

I never said we would land Nicks if he hits the market, I just said he would hit the market. I don't get where you had this idea in your head that they would sign Brees and franchise Nicks. It wasn't going to happen. For all you know they could franchise Colston instead even if they sign Brees.

I don't get why you make these assumptions without doing any research. It was obvious that they weren't going to reach a deal with Brees in time to franchise Nicks, if they even would franchise Nicks. I'm just being logical here.

Now, if it gets done I will say you were right and eat crow, but it's probably not going to happen and that is what I have been saying all along. And I was backing my statements up by league sources instead of just making assumptions with no substance.
Get off your high horse, seriously. It's damn annoying!!! It was quoted on a reputable news outlet that if Brees got his deal done that it was likely Nicks would get the tag.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Judging by Nicks' tweets, he's looking to get straight pizzaid, and he'll undoubtedly go to the highest bidder. I'm not sure i wanna get involved in that.
I sure as hell don't. Let him get paid. He's not our saviour.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I'm with you. I don't think it's wise to make a guard the highest paid player at his position. Especially since there is so much interior OL depth in this draft.

If we are going to pay big money, it better be on defense. Period.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm with you. I don't think it's wise to make a guard the highest paid player at his position. Especially since there is so much interior OL depth in this draft.

Ya, but he's the Darrelle Revis of Guards!!! LOL

Let him go get paid elsewhere. I agree with you guys, let's spend the money on defense. Be smart in FA and get a few key contributors and then go at it in the draft. Let's start building this team from the draft and not buying overpriced players.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Haha @ the darrelle revis of guards.

Yea, I'll pass if he wants some ridiculous amount.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post

I really don't think you guys understand the situation as it applies to our team. If we sign Finnegan or Carr they will probably cost more than Nicks, even though Nicks is a much better player at his position. You guys need to stop getting caught up in the positional money crap. Carl Nicks is a stud. I don't care if he's a guard. He would make our team better than Carr or Finnegan would. Finnegan sucks so he shouldn't even be in this convo. I am all for building on strengths. Nicks along with a mid-round center like phillip blake would take our offense to the next level. Carr would help, but our defense would still have a good amount of holes. Nicks is the better option. It's not going to happen, but it is a better choice for this team.

I don't get why you guys keep saying no because he's a guard. Who cares. He's one of the 11 players on the field. He's a great player and would help the running and passing game immensely.

As for Leroyisgod.. have you ever even seen Nicks play? He pretty much is the Darrell Revis of guards. Do you even know how to evaluate on offensive lineman? Nicks is turning 27 and a key trench player. It would help build the team for the future, not just 2-3 years.

"FreshBoy!" do you even watch football?

I love how people just think C, G, ILB, and S don't matter. It's hilarious. They are the most important positions on a football team besides QB. That's the problem with football today. People want the flash instead of the substance. What's the fastest way from point A to point b? A straight line. Up the middle. That's all of those positions. Not some little baby like Cortland Finnegan. I mean, those positions aren't the exact reason we haven't gone deep into the playoffs over the past 10 years or anything... Look at the teams of the 90's. Sure they had Deion for 1 of the SB's, but could you name another CB? And don't even say larry brown. Look at the C,G, ILB's, and Safeties on those teams. Name a WR besides Michael Irvin? Harper was ok a for a few years but he wasn't great, Kevin Williams was a flash in the pan returner. Even add TE into the important positions list. Jay Novachek did wonders for that team. You guys just don't get it. I'm shocked.

I wish they would sign Nicks just to watch how much better it makes this offense and have you guys all eat crow. The ineptitude baffles me.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 02-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.