Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Terrell Thomas would be the best possible pick-up. He's easily better than Finnegan's overrated ass, and he's on the same level as Brandon Carr. He won't be that expensive because of his injury, and it hurts the Giants. It's a win on all levels.

He may need to be eased back a little bit, but it's worth it. I really hope he is on there radar. The fact that he hasn't just re-signed with the giants yet is a good sign.
I hear Finnegan asking for a huge pay day, and that keeps me away from wanting him a ton, but I think you're overexaggerating how bad or overrated you think he is. I can easily see why the Cowboys would want a player like him. He's one of the most physical CBs in the league and very versatile too. Last season the Titans had him covering the slot in nickel packages so that he could get more involved in the plays and be around the football more. He excelled in that role and he is at his best when he can get physical with receivers. He can play both man and zone, and work from the slot as well as out wide.

As for Terrell Thomas... he won't be at full strength next season even though he should be good enough to play. I believe it takes 2 years to return from ACL injury and then you still don't know if you'll get the same old player. ...and as for that old player... yes, it's true that TT had 5 picks and 12 pass deflections in 2010, which is good, but he also gave up 7 touchdowns and was beaten for 950 yards, 403 of which came after the catch. I know you like to stick to the side of optimism about players not being affected by injury, but TT has warts of his own too.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I understand that. I'm not saying Dallas will do what I would suggest, but that is what I would do in their shoes.

I have a feeling I'm not going to agree with some of their decisions they make this offseason, but who knows. We'll see.
I'm pretty much guaranteeing that I won't like what they will do. Not saying I'm more right than they are, but I'm bracing myself for some major *facepalm*
Old 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think NY will let TT go.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone like Tracy Porter.. He turns 26 In August and is probably going to be a cap casualty in NO. I put him in the same boat as Mike Jenkins as a guy who has the talent to be a number 1 but has been to nicked up to reach his potential .
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Anyone like Tracy Porter.. He turns 26 In August and is probably going to be a cap casualty in NO. I put him in the same boat as Mike Jenkins as a guy who has the talent to be a number 1 but has been to nicked up to reach his potential .
Hmmm.... haven't really considered cap casualty players still under contract. Mostly been looking at Free Agents.

Can't say that I know enough of Porter's career as a pro. As a prospect I do remember following him. I only remember him having that INT in the SB. Little undersized if I remember right.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Porter is someone we brought in during the draft I remember that...so we had interest back in the day. Porter is a guy who has the quick twitch like our other 2 corners. He'd be a nice veteran piece to add to replace newman. Get a little younger there. He'd be my pick at corner of all the corners that are available in FA.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Porter is someone we brought in during the draft I remember that...so we had interest back in the day. Porter is a guy who has the quick twitch like our other 2 corners. He'd be a nice veteran piece to add to replace newman. Get a little younger there. He'd be my pick at corner of all the corners that are available in FA.
I mentioned him a while back. I think he'd be a solid addition at a fraction the price.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default For anyone hoping for an upgrade at safety

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/01/raid...tag-to-branch/

Cross Branch off the list
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought this one was a bit of a surprise with all the cap issues they have right now.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How does everyone think about Rocky McIntosh as our veteran ILB? I love him out of the U and he shouldn't be that expensive. Athletic solid veteran to be our #3. We probably have no interest at all, but i'd like it.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I know I've been fairly animate against bringing Spencer back, but I'm warming to the idea of giving him a deal like Brooks got. I only want him back if we cannot land Mario Williams. And if we do bring him back, we need some additional help on the DL and secondary.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I know I've been fairly animate against bringing Spencer back, but I'm warming to the idea of giving him a deal like Brooks got. I only want him back if we cannot land Mario Williams. And if we do bring him back, we need some additional help on the DL and secondary.
I agree with this. I'm sorry but Anthony Spencer is a better football player than Ahmad Brooks. Spencer is not the problem. Give Spencer and DeMarcus a true NT and Justin Smith at DE and see how much better they look.

Every team has an anthony spencer or 2 at some position. Teams win superbowls with anthony spencer type players. Cant have a pro-bowler everywhere. No strong side OLB in a 3-4 is getting 12+ sacks. It just doesn't happen. The problem is our down 3 and our secondary. Until that gets fixed, nothing else is going to matter. We need a consistent disruptive force on the DL. I really hope Poe is there at 14 or Ta'amu in the 3rd and they have to seriously consider it. We need a push.

Love Kuechly though. What a tandem that would be.. and this is coming from a Bruce Carter supporter.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

(DE) Mario (DT) Poe (DT) Rat (DE) Ware
(LB) Spencer (LB) Lee (LB) Carter
(CB) Jenkins (CB) Boykin

(S) Sency (S) Adams

Mario (FA) Adams (FA) Resign spencer, Poe in the 1st, and Boykin in the 2nd

What do you guys think? Looks like a HUGE upgrade to me :)

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
(DE) Mario (DT) Poe (DT) Rat (DE) Ware
(LB) Spencer (LB) Lee (LB) Carter
(CB) Jenkins (CB) Boykin

(S) Sency (S) Adams

Mario (FA) Adams (FA) Resign spencer, Poe in the 1st, and Boykin in the 2nd

What do you guys think? Looks like a HUGE upgrade to me :)
There's no way we break the bank on mario, somehow bring spencer back to a nice contract or franchise tag, and spend 14 on poe. We all know Jerry isn't that smart. He doesn't build on strengths.

I'd love it though.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Archer said today that he can't say any way the cowboys don't franchise Spencer after the Brooks deal. I'm going to have to agree...if we wanted Spencer we would have inked him to a new deal. But unfortunetly for us we don't have the bodies behind him to be as good of a team without him. Not to mention we have quite a few starting positions that we need to influence some competition...ex) interior OL...ILB...S. We have too many holes not to franchise Spencer.

So while Mario would be nice...have you guys seen the type of cap space teams have this year. Mario is going to get paaaaaaaaaaaaid. We might be able to afford 10 million this year...but how about 5 years from now? Mario stuff is a pipe dream.

Just wanted to throw this out there...since Archer is pretty well informed when it comes to the cowboys. While I don't think spencer deserves 8.8 mill this year he gets it because there isn't any better options right now. Ingram has probably shown enough this offseason to warrant consideration to replace Spencer...but as the front office are you really going to take the chance of him sliding to you? I just don't see it

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Franchising Spencer wouldnt be the end of the the world especially if we can find someone to develop behind him. MacArthur brought up an interesting point on Sergio Kindle as a guy that might hit the open market. He would come fairly cheap and was a pass rushing monster at UT. Give him a year behind Spencer and at the very least he would add depth.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I doubt the Ravens would give up on Kindle if they have any inkling that he'll return to good health.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree with this. I'm sorry but Anthony Spencer is a better football player than Ahmad Brooks. Spencer is not the problem. Give Spencer and DeMarcus a true NT and Justin Smith at DE and see how much better they look.

Every team has an anthony spencer or 2 at some position. Teams win superbowls with anthony spencer type players. Cant have a pro-bowler everywhere. No strong side OLB in a 3-4 is getting 12+ sacks. It just doesn't happen. The problem is our down 3 and our secondary. Until that gets fixed, nothing else is going to matter. We need a consistent disruptive force on the DL. I really hope Poe is there at 14 or Ta'amu in the 3rd and they have to seriously consider it. We need a push.

Love Kuechly though. What a tandem that would be.. and this is coming from a Bruce Carter supporter.
Ummmm, really?

Quote:
San Francisco’s Ahmad Brooks signed a six-year deal with San Francisco worth $7 million a year... Using the same press box stats for fairness to compare the players, Spencer has 266 tackles, 21.5 sacks, one interception, 10 pass deflections and 10 forced fumbles in 53 starts. Brooks has 139 tackles, 20 sacks, one interception, nine pass deflections and seven forced fumbles in 24 starts....
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...-samson-satele

Brooks put up similiar numbers to Spencer in less than half the amount of starts. And he doesn't have the luxury of playing opposite Demarcus Ware.

Stop overrating Spencer. Dude is a JAG and it's time to move on. I don't need a Pro-Bowl player, a competent starter who doesn't "mail days in" would be more than enough.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 03-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'm a hard ass against giving Spencer the Franchise tag, but the Cowboys usually learn the hard way anyways.

If you're going to build up a case to keep him based off production, then give him a long term deal.

If he's not worth the production, then why bring him back at that cost? Use the $9M elsewhere and move on.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Terrell Thomas would be the best possible pick-up. He's easily better than Finnegan's overrated ***, and he's on the same level as Brandon Carr, or very close to it. He just turned 27. He won't be that expensive because of his injury, and it hurts the Giants. It's a win on all levels.

He may need to be eased back a little bit, but it's worth it. I really hope he is on there radar. The fact that he hasn't just re-signed with the giants yet is a good sign. I really just hope we don't sign Finnegan. For the money he will command it will be a terrible signing. He's not that good and he's 28. Pointless. If no one gives him that contract and his price comes down then ok, but he wants Nnamdi money. If we gave that to Cortland Finnegan instead of a Mario Williams or Carl Nicks.... enough said.

Terrell Thomas all the way.

Our TT? I think we are on our way to re-sign him, and let Ross go.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Just when I thought we were seeing eye to eye on something, then we don't. I don't feel Spencer was the problem, but I do not think a true NT will help the pass rush. Will it help the run defense, yes. My main issue with Spencer was always consistency. He just didn't give you that consistent play week in week out. Do you remember I believe it was his second season? He didn't have many sacks, but a ton of QB pressures and knockdowns. I'd take that all day long because of his consistent pass rush. Or maybe it was his 3rd season, I don't remember exactly. But you catch my drift.

With that being said, I'm still warming to the idea. We just need more consistency out of him. And we need another DE that will get more consistent pressure as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Ummmm, really?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...-samson-satele

Brooks put up similiar numbers to Spencer in less than half the amount of starts. And he doesn't have the luxury of playing opposite Demarcus Ware.

Stop overrating Spencer. Dude is a JAG and it's time to move on. I don't need a Pro-Bowl player, a competent starter who doesn't "mail days in" would be more than enough.
Those stats are completely flawed because of who Ahmad Brooks is playing with. Give Spencer Aubrayo Franklin at NT and Justin Smith at DE and see how he does. And don't give me the "he plays opposite Ware" crap. I hate when people say that. That has nothing to do with anything. What affects the linebackers are the down 3 to eat up blockers. The linebacker on the other side has minimal effect. Again, they are OLB's on opposite sides of the LOS. Spencer is a strong side linebacker. Ware's pass rushing dominance has no effect on the blocking spencer gets. Terribel misconception.

Either way, if Brooks is better than Spencer, it's pretty much splitting hairs. I really like Fletcher Cox as a potential DL at 14.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Just another thought on free agents Ladarius Webb is a RFA and Baltimore has Ray Rice and Grubbs to sign as UFAs. How high do you think the Ravens will tender Webb at ? If it is a second rounder or later I might consider it, I was impressed with how physical he was last season.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those stats are completely flawed because of who Ahmad Brooks is playing with. Give Spencer Aubrayo Franklin at NT and Justin Smith at DE and see how he does. And don't give me the "he plays opposite Ware" crap. I hate when people say that. That has nothing to do with anything. What affects the linebackers are the down 3 to eat up blockers. The linebacker on the other side has minimal effect. Again, they are OLB's on opposite sides of the LOS. Spencer is a strong side linebacker. Ware's pass rushing dominance has no effect on the blocking spencer gets. Terribel misconception.

Either way, if Brooks is better than Spencer, it's pretty much splitting hairs. I really like Fletcher Cox as a potential DL at 14.
I agree that we need to get better on the DL, but I disagree on the Ware point. Spencer virtually NEVER sees anything but single coverage. There have been numerous articles posted on this site that have documented with hard numbers just how ineffective Spencer has been. You can't reward the guy for being unproductive. Tagging him out of fear is not the right move either. You have to trust your scouts and devlopment. Go get someone better. SEveral teams found guys last year that were more productive; many of them after the first round.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Just another thought on free agents Ladarius Webb is a RFA and Baltimore has Ray Rice and Grubbs to sign as UFAs. How high do you think the Ravens will tender Webb at ? If it is a second rounder or later I might consider it, I was impressed with how physical he was last season.
I would go after Webb. The CB metrics posted on BTB the other day show that Webb was one of the best CBs in teh league the last couple of years. Even better than Carr. I would give serious consideration to making a play even if they tender him a first rounder. He's better than any CB you would get at 14.

-Douglas MacArthur