Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I'm not understanding the problem with Scandrick's contract at all. We had one CB on the roster for this season and took an initial hit (when we had cap space) to minimize a hit later. His contract for a slot CB is not terrible and hardly cause for kicking and screaming.

Spears I'll hand you although the organization loves his ability against the run. I still don't believe 19.2 over 5 years (3.84/yr) is as terrible of a deal that you are making it out to be...

On the same token lets not be the fans that buy into media perception and regurgitate back here.
Scandrick's cost is not terrible from here on out if he can be more than an average CB (which he currently is not). But to say he earned the $7.7M he got last season is a joke. He was 96th out of 106 of all CBs in comp % against him.

Spears is the definition of "meh".

It's cool to disagree though. Makes the world round. :)
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think with Kosier? Should he make the move back to LG or stay at RG?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Scott has us taking Barron in his latest Mock today. Why do I have a feeling this will happen?
If it does, Im shooting myself in the face!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What do you guys think with Kosier? Should he make the move back to LG or stay at RG?
Depends entirely on if we draft/sign someone to start or if we rely on Nagy/Arkin/Holland to start. If we get a guy who is "thick" and more of a mauler then send Kosier to LG. If we get a technician or someone with high mobility then keep Kosier at RG.

:) I like having the LG mobile and the RG a mauler. Free and a mauler RG should give us running lanes. But eh to each their own on schemes.

I honestly think we're going to draft someone and slot them in at RG and kick Kosier to LG.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Depends entirely on if we draft/sign someone to start or if we rely on Nagy/Arkin/Holland to start. If we get a guy who is "thick" and more of a mauler then send Kosier to LG. If we get a technician or someone with high mobility then keep Kosier at RG.

:) I like having the LG mobile and the RG a mauler. Free and a mauler RG should give us running lanes. But eh to each their own on schemes.

I honestly think we're going to draft someone and slot them in at RG and kick Kosier to LG.
Same. I think Kosier is sliding to LG unless we get DeCastro.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know we were supposed to move on, but I didn't get my chance to weigh in on Spencer. I will only do so once.

I hate it. I would love to see a show of hands of the people that he impressed around here. I bet that he didn't impress anyone, except a guy named Anthony Spencer.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I know we were supposed to move on, but I didn't get my chance to weigh in on Spencer. I will only do so once.

I hate it. I would love to see a show of hands of the people that he impressed around here. I bet that he didn't impress anyone, except a guy named Anthony Spencer.
This is not exactly what I wanted either... now, I'm just trying to see the silver lining in it.

1) We know what we can expect.
2) We didn't make a long term commitment.
3) Our draft options are still wide open.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is not exactly what I wanted either... now, I'm just trying to see the silver lining in it.

1) We know what we can expect.
2) We didn't make a long term commitment.
3) Our draft options are still wide open.
1) He hasnt signed the contract ...yet
2) We can pull the offer at anytime before he signs
3) We could trade him, lol thats all ive got (sigh)

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think this is his last year a starter in the league.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that the Anthony Spencer drama is over, I've come up with my Free Agency and Draft plan for the Cowboys this year.

If Wimbley comes available, sign Wimbley and let Spencer walk.

-Restructure several contracts to free up some cash
-Release T-New

Free Agency

-Re-sign Laurent Robinson
-Sign Brandon Carr
-Sign Chris Meyers
-Re-sign Abram Elam to a one year contract

Draft

Round 1- Melvin Ingram- OLB- South Carolina
Round 2- Kelechi Osemele- G- Iowa St
Round 3- George Iloka- S- Boise St
Round 4- Jared Crick- DE- Nebraska
Round 5- Best Available CB
Round 6- Best Available ILB
Round 7- Best Available TE

I'ts probably a stretch to sign those FA's, but I'm hoping Stephen can work his magic. Crick might not slip to Round 4.

Last edited by leroyisgod : 03-05-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like most of your off season stuff, except I dont think signing meyers and drafting Osemele will be enough to fix our horrible interior Oline.

Your draft is ok. I am not really in love with any of those guys, but they are all solid.

Except Crick. I love that guy. not sure he will be there in round 4 though. That will be surprising

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 03-05-2012 at 10:58 PM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Now that the Anthony Spencer drama is over, I've come up with my Free Agency and Draft plan for the Cowboys this year.

-Release T-New

Free Agency

-Sign Brandon Carr
-Sign Chris Meyers

Draft

I'ts probably a stretch to sign those FA's, but I'm hoping Stephen can work his magic. Crick might not slip to Round 4.
Don't mind the free agency plan, but that draft is horrid. Don't think we will or should land Myers either. We need beef in the middle. Myers in a zone blocking center who is under 300 pounds and turning 31 years old, and he wants to stay with the Texans no matter what:

Quote:
Amid rumors of the Packers' interest in him, free agent C Chris Myers told 610 Sports Radio in Houston that he wants to re-sign with the Texans.
"I want to be here," he emphasized. "I want to see things through, and that’s the way it is. So that’s kind of the bottom line of my thinking." Myers has been a Texan since 2008. He has 80 straight starts and was a Pro Bowler in 2011.
As for the draft, it could be worse but I don't think either of Ingram or Osmele is worth #14 or #45. I want guys who I know are going to be studs. Give me DeCastro or a trade down in round 1 if we sign Carr, and give me the best available DE/OLB at 45 because one will still be there with how deep this class is.

I'll keep saying it, this team needs stars. Ingram and Osmele will be solid players, but they don't have potential to be game breakers. Osmele could be with development, but we already have enough projects on the OL. Guys like DeCastro, Kirkpatrick, Cox, etc. can be studs. That's what we need. This draft can't be full of just steady players. We don't need that anymore. I will be really disappointed if the team goes in that direction.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I kind of struggled with my first round pick. It was either DeCastro or Ingram. I wanted to go DeCastro, but then I wanted to go OLB in the 2nd round and I'm just not in love with anyone for that pick. I'm sure I will alter this again right before FA begins.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I kind of struggled with my first round pick. It was either DeCastro or Ingram. I wanted to go DeCastro, but then I wanted to go OLB in the 2nd round and I'm just not in love with anyone for that pick. I'm sure I will alter this again right before FA begins.
Agreed -_- The more I look at prospects at 14 the more warts I uncover. The only "safe" pick IMHO at this stage is DeCastro. If not him then I would take a REAAAAALLLYYY hard look at Jenkins (provided he passes the interviews). Last option for me would be Ingram although I only look at this option if the 'Boys are just taking a 1 year loan on Spencer (which I don't believe is the case).

Kirkpatrick scares me and I want no part of him at 14. If we trade down then a lot of doors open though. FA is going to make our board a little clearer :)

I think we'll wait a bit in the draft for targeting a future OLB and take someone like Jake Bequette in the 3rd or 4th. Although he's been slowly climbing boards since we first talked about him and his excellent combine will push him further I imagine.

Last edited by Trogdor : 03-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...tillo-interest

No thank you to Luis Castillo. We already had one bust FA pick-up from Sand Diego, no need for another.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Agreed -_- The more I look at prospects at 14 the more warts I uncover. The only "safe" pick IMHO at this stage is DeCastro. If not him then I would take a REAAAAALLLYYY hard look at Jenkins (provided he passes the interviews). Last option for me would be Ingram although I only look at this option if the 'Boys are just taking a 1 year loan on Spencer (which I don't believe is the case).

Kirkpatrick scares me and I want no part of him at 14. If we trade down then a lot of doors open though. FA is going to make our board a little clearer :)
Apparently Kirkpatrick didn't interview very well at the combine for many teams. I read he had a hard time explaining his last run in. If we do not go after Carr in FA or any other other #1 or #2 CB I'm almost thinking that we should trade back a few spots and take Jenkins.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...tillo-interest

No thank you to Luis Castillo. We already had one bust FA pick-up from Sand Diego, no need for another.
While I understand the dislike of Castillo he's a TOTALLY different player than the dancing Russian. He's much more in the mold of a pass rushing 5-tech than just a stout run stopper like Igor.

Too easy to peg players due to the team :)
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
While I understand the dislike of Castillo he's a TOTALLY different player than the dancing Russian. He's much more in the mold of a pass rushing 5-tech than just a stout run stopper like Igor.

Too easy to peg players due to the team :)
True, but he has been plagued with some injuries that are a concern as well. At best I'd give him a one year minimum deal.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

-Release T-New

Free Agency

-Sign Brandon Carr
-Sign Chris Meyers

Draft

Best rusher in the draft check.
Big athletic interior OL check
Not sure how Iioka fits at FS or if sensy would move.
Crick is hard to project right now...but I've seen him still rated as high as 30 and as low as 4th. I'd bet he falls somewhere in the 2nd round just because of his measurables and his tape. He's not really a guy you need to see run in the combine or do the drills because he has a lot of tape to back up his play. His frame should keep him in the top 2 rounds...but with the DTs emerging from this class maybe he falls another round.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
True, but he has been plagued with some injuries that are a concern as well. At best I'd give him a one year minimum deal.
Oh I agree 100% :) He has massive injury concerns and the only way I look at him is an incentive laden deal. I was just pointing out he's a pass rushing 5-tech not a run stuffer like Igor/Spears/etc.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Apparently Kirkpatrick didn't interview very well at the combine for many teams. I read he had a hard time explaining his last run in. If we do not go after Carr in FA or any other other #1 or #2 CB I'm almost thinking that we should trade back a few spots and take Jenkins.
Well the only good news about that is that it might cause some teams ahead of him to not take him. But on draft day if Kirkpatrick is on the board still we will go laughing all the way to the bank. Kirkpatrick will give us top value at a premium need position. Can't always say that about your first round pick. I don't think there is a very big chance we don't take him if he's on the board at 14...character concerns or not he's impact at a key position. Can't pass on guys like that.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Well the only good news about that is that it might cause some teams ahead of him to not take him. But on draft day if Kirkpatrick is on the board still we will go laughing all the way to the bank. Kirkpatrick will give us top value at a premium need position. Can't always say that about your first round pick. I don't think there is a very big chance we don't take him if he's on the board at 14...character concerns or not he's impact at a key position. Can't pass on guys like that.
If we land a CB in free agency, we aren't going CB at 14 unless Claiborne somehow falls which obviously isn't happening. We know Jerry doesn't build on strengths so picking a top 15 CB when we picked up a good one in free agency is not going to happen. Plus, Jenkins is in the last year of his deal and I bet they want to re-sign him. If you just signed a big free agent and picked a CB at 14 along with Scandrick's contract, they probably won't be able to extend Jenkins. I know people are mixed on Jenkins, but I think he is a stud and will prove a lot of people wrong this year. If we get a corner in free agency we will probably take a CB around round 3, which I would be fine with.

I think the best course of action at 14 if we land a CB in free agency is either take DeCastro if he is there, or trade down to the mid 20's, take Konz or Barron, and pick up and extra 3rd. It makes the most sense.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
If we land a CB in free agency, we aren't going CB at 14 unless Claiborne somehow falls which obviously isn't happening. We know Jerry doesn't build on strengths so picking a top 15 CB when we picked up a good one in free agency is not going to happen. Plus, Jenkins is in the last year of his deal and I bet they want to re-sign him. If you just signed a big free agent and picked a CB at 14 along with Scandrick's contract, they probably won't be able to extend Jenkins. I know people are mixed on Jenkins, but I think he is a stud and will prove a lot of people wrong this year. If we get a corner in free agency we will probably take a CB around round 3, which I would be fine with.

I think the best course of action at 14 if we land a CB in free agency is either take DeCastro if he is there, or trade down to the mid 20's, take Konz or Barron, and pick up and extra 3rd. It makes the most sense.
Are you a Barron fan? From what I read and see I don't know if he fits.

We will need at least one more CB in the draft if we take Carr or someone else. At least one more.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Are you a Barron fan? From what I read and see I don't know if he fits.

We will need at least one more CB in the draft if we take Carr or someone else. At least one more.
Barron is a good safety. I wouldn't hate the pick. I agree about CB if we land Carr, but not at 14. Look in the 3rd or 4th round for the best value. That should give us a quality #4 behind Scandrick.

By the way, Jeremy Zuttah was re-signed by the Bucs yesterday at 4 years for 16 million. Shame he didn't hid the open market, I would've done that in a heart beat. We should've tampered and told him we'd give him 20 million lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Are we even allowed to negotiate with Laurent Robinson right now or would that also be considered tampering