Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-anywhere-else

I like Brandon Carr more and more each day
You know, I think you should count you know, how many times he says "you know" in that article, you know?
D-Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
You know, I think you should count you know, how many times he says "you know" in that article, you know?
He's a you know, man of you know, few works, you know

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best part about having three solid ILBs? Rotation. If it's an obvious running down you put Lee and Connor. If it's an obvious passing down Lee and Carter. Hell you could see some crazy formations with all three on the field (putting Connor in the middle to minimize his play in space of course).

Having two top 30 safeties is nothing to scoff at either. With our revamped secondary we should be able to bring the heat and not get torched like last year.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My God. Look at these contract numbers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-cowboys-deals

Quote:
Here are the rest, minus Dan Connor, who recently agreed to terms:

Kyle Orton -- three years, $10.5 million, $5 million signing bonus
2012 -- $900,000
2013 -- $1.35 million
2014 -- $3.25 million

Mackenzy Bernadeau -- four years, $11 million, $3.25 million signing bonus
2012 -- $1 million
2013 -- $1.75 million
2014 -- $2.25 million
2015 -- $2.75 million

(Bernadeau has incentives that can take the deal to $14 million total.)

Lawrence Vickers -- two years, $2.4 million, $200,000 signing bonus
2012 -- $800,000
2013 -- $1.2 million

Brodney Pool -- one year, $1.2 million, $100,000 signing bonus
2012 -- $1.1 million
That is beautiful. All cheap as hell. Mackenzy didn't even get starters money that was a false report. He got a nice penny for a back-up, but it's still not that much. If he earns a starting spot that's a bargain.

Gotta hand it to Stephen Jones. Dude is a genius. Wow. I'm so happy right now. This is amazing.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post

That is beautiful. All cheap as hell. Mackenzy didn't even get starters money that was a false report. He got a nice penny for a back-up, but it's still not that much. If he earns a starting spot that's a bargain.

Gotta hand it to Stephen Jones. Dude is a genius. Wow. I'm so happy right now. This is amazing.
That's a thing of beauty! I was wondering what they were. Thanks for posting so I didn't have to look. +rep
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm sure this was posted already but Carr is only counting $1.2 million against the cap this season. When you add the numbers up, these 5 signings are only costing $5 million against the cap this season. They did a great job working these contracts. After we sign Connor, how much of the cap will we have left approximately?
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
I'm sure this was posted already but Carr is only counting $1.2 million against the cap this season. When you add the numbers up, these 5 signings are only costing $5 million against the cap this season. They did a great job working these contracts. After we sign Connor, how much of the cap will we have left approximately?
Hard to know exactly. We were expected to have about 20-23 million after restructures and BEFORE the penalty. We don't know if they took all 10 million this year or not. So best guess would be....

15 after Spencer
10 after all our signings

Draft normally takes about 5 million total. That looks like we decided to take the minimum this year (5 million). SJ has said a number of times that he chuckles every time someone asks him how much room we have. He said it's all a matter of moving money he said Dallas has no problems signing any player that they want and won't have any problems in the future.

<3
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a starting lineup for next season with some holes in it. I have plugged in the pretty much shoe-in starters, who do you guys think will be the starters in the blanks spots? Obviously put in starting rookies if you think there will be.

QB - Romo
HB - Murray
FB - Vickers
WR - Austin
WR - Bryant
TE - Witten
LT - Smith
LG -
C -
RG -
RT - Free

OLB - Spencer
DE -
NT - Ratliff
DE -
OLB - Ware
ILB - Lee
ILB - Carter
SS - Pool
FS - Sensabaugh
CB - Carr
CB - Jenkins

P -
K - Bailey
LS - the Frenchman
KR -
PR -
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone have any clue what Laron Landry is looking for in terms of a contract? I know the injuries are a big red flag right now, but I can't help looking at our safeties and still being sad. Don't get me wrong happy with the Pool signing, but I don't think he's as good as say Michael Huff who I thought we were going to have a shot at last year.

Landry is better then Pool and Sensy if healthy, so if he checked out and passed a physical I was curious what he would demand or if we could afford it. I just want an impact safety back there, at least he has the speed to have the range to make up for the all out blitz packages we like to run. Plus the Pats called him in for a visit so I know he'll probably blow up.

I remember when Brian Waters got released and I figured he was a no brainer pick-up for us, then the Pats go and get him and he played great.

Love the Connor signing though, brilliant. Gives us competition in TC now so Carter can battle for the spot and I had been looking at ILB all along worried about the depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone heard anything about Livings? I really hope we don't sign him lol.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got home from work and first things I find out is we signed Dan Connor? SWEET!
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every NFL team always talks about wanting to take BPA in the draft, but year in and year out you see a lot of teams drafting by needs. I believe we've put ourselves in a position where we can go BPA. The only real NEED is DE at this point. But I believe in the 1st round at 14 one of the top DL's will come to us.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Anyone have any clue what Laron Landry is looking for in terms of a contract? I know the injuries are a big red flag right now, but I can't help looking at our safeties and still being sad. Don't get me wrong happy with the Pool signing, but I don't think he's as good as say Michael Huff who I thought we were going to have a shot at last year.

Landry is better then Pool and Sensy if healthy, so if he checked out and passed a physical I was curious what he would demand or if we could afford it. I just want an impact safety back there, at least he has the speed to have the range to make up for the all out blitz packages we like to run. Plus the Pats called him in for a visit so I know he'll probably blow up.

I remember when Brian Waters got released and I figured he was a no brainer pick-up for us, then the Pats go and get him and he played great.

Love the Connor signing though, brilliant. Gives us competition in TC now so Carter can battle for the spot and I had been looking at ILB all along worried about the depth.
I don't think we ever targeted him. I like him more than Pool, especially at SS, but it probably wasn't the money that disuaded us. Injuries have made him a huge question mark.

Huff actually had a really bad year last year... So I can see why we passed on him too.

I'm actually VERY surprised that we didn't go after Mike Adams... and half surprised that we didn't go after Jim Leonhard to be honest.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Every NFL team always talks about wanting to take BPA in the draft, but year in and year out you see a lot of teams drafting by needs. I believe we've put ourselves in a position where we can go BPA. The only real NEED is DE at this point. But I believe in the 1st round at 14 one of the top DL's will come to us.
Can't complain at all about what we did in the last 2 days.

But I still see C, LG, RB, WR3, TE, NT, DE, OLB, NCB, FS and SS as areas we need to look at.

C gets erased if Kosier/Arkin is the plan. We could probably find WR3 somewhere on the current team/practice squad (I'm hoping for Harris to emerge). The team probably isn't looking at NT and FS and maybe even NCB the way we are. But those other positions... heck yes, our job is far from over.

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think we ever targeted him. I like him more than Pool, especially at SS, but it probably wasn't the money that disuaded us. Injuries have made him a huge question mark.

Huff actually had a really bad year last year... So I can see why we passed on him too.

I'm actually VERY surprised that we didn't go after Mike Adams... and half surprised that we didn't go after Jim Leonhard to be honest.
Mike Adams signed in Denver, and will be replacing Rahim Moore at free safety.

Don't you guys find it odd that all of these "coverage" safeties who seem to go in the first 2 rounds of the draft always seem to bust?

Reggie Nelson, Rahim Moore, Michael Huff, Brandon Meriweather, even LaRon Landry and i'm sure there's many more I can't think of etc. Even Brodney Pool was probably supposed to be a lot better than he is. He was practically a first rounder. Now some may not suck, but they certainly aren't what people though they would be.

It really is a weird position to evaluate because the position itself does such weird things. Every other position really has a set in stone list of responsibilities. Safety is just like an enigma floating around back there. It's also weird how these guys can be pro-bowlers one year and garbage the next. (Landry, Meriweather, our own Roy Williams, etc.)

It goes to show that unless it's a prospect like Eric Berry or Sean Taylor, you really never know. That said, if there is an impact guy in the 1st round next year i'm all over it. It's time we got a stud back there.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would argue that Huff, Landry and Nelson were not less prospects than Berry and Taylor coming out of college. It is easy now to say they were not, but everyone wanted Huff and Landry. I also think the term "Bust" is a little harsh. While not as good as many thought they would be, they are all still in the league (except Roy Williams). And he played a long time, in the scope of things. I think the term "bust" is usually saved for people that could not play at all. All of those guys could play, maybe just not as good as advertised. I do realize that it is kind of splitting hairs, though...

I do agree it is a hard position to evaluate. But the days of the SS as we use to think of them are drying up. That I feel fairly confident about.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bill Parcells used to say, "you know" a lot, ya know.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nah, Michael Huff was more in the Earl Thomas mold as a safety. Great tackler for a guy his size, and was very good in coverage. Sean Taylor was an athletic beast, and Berry was a more polished cover safety. Reggie Nelson was never even close to their level as a prospect.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything about Livings? I really hope we don't sign him lol.
Left Dallas without a contract. Read the rams might take a look at him next. So think you're safe.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 AM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

I could see Dallas drafting a Safety and using Pool as a bridge gap while that player learns, especially if it's a college CB moving to FS (Kirkpatrick, Trumaine Johnson). I'm not saying i'm all for this, just something to think about.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Left Dallas without a contract. Read the rams might take a look at him next. So think you're safe.
Phew. Livings is terrible.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
I could see Dallas drafting a Safety and using Pool as a bridge gap while that player learns, especially if it's a college CB moving to FS (Kirkpatrick, Trumaine Johnson). I'm not saying i'm all for this, just something to think about.
Has there been any talk of Stephon Gilmore as a possible CB->FS candidate? I know there has been some talk about Kirkpatrick but Gilmore seems like a much more natural fit and could be had in the 2nd.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Also, here's an update on our salary cap situation.

Quote:
After restructuring the contracts of Orlando Scandrick, Doug Free and Dez Bryant; releasing Terence Newman and David Buehler; and "borrowing" $1.5 million from a future salary cap, we entered the free-agency period $11,386,689 under the salary cap. Newman was designated a "post June 1" cut, so we won't get that $6.016 million of cap relief until June 2 -- in fact, cutting him actually cost us $390,000 of cap room for now, because another player's base salary was added to our top 51 when Newman was released. For now, Newman counts as $8.016 million in dead money. On June 2, that will drop to $2 million. So, one way to look at it is that we entered free agency $17,402,689 under the cap -- we just can't use $6.016 million of it until June 2 or later.

None of our signings have been processed by the league yet (it can take a few days when things are busy), but if the initial contract breakdowns are correct, we were $3,657,522 under the cap before signing Dan Connor but after signing Carr, Orton, Pool, Vickers and Bernadeau. If you want to include the Newman savings after June 2, we're "really" $9,673,522 under the cap.

Other than releasing players, the two main ways that we could gain more cap room, if we need it, would be to restructure DeMarcus Ware's contract (saving about $2.75 million) and to sign Anthony Spencer to a contract extension, lowering his cap number from $8.856 million to something less than $5 million, most likely.

Also, keep in mind the Top 51 Rule when we sign or release players in the offseason. This rule states that the only base salaries (or tenders) that count against the cap during the offseason are those of the current players (including unsigned players who were tendered) with the 51 highest cap numbers on the team. Anyone else's base salary does not count against the cap until after the final preseason cutdown. This means that if we sign a player whose 2012 cap number is $2 million, it doesn't use up $2 million of our current cap room -- that player's $2 million gets added to our cap, but he knocks another player out of our Top 51, so that player's base salary no longer counts against the cap. Right now -- after our first five free-agent signings, that is -- our 50th and 51st players' base salaries are $390,000 each (as are those of players 52-57). Our 40th-49th players' base salaries are $465,000 each. So, whatever Connor's 2012 cap number is, subtract $390,000 to see how much cap room we lose. If we sign or cut someone after that, it either knocks someone else out of the Top 51 or puts someone else back into the Top 51, so their base salary gets added or subtracted as necessary.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

This might be stupid, but thoughts on bringing back Patrick Crayton to be the #3?

He's a free agent. He's turning 33, but speed was never his game so that really doesn't matter. He has a familiarity with Romo, he will run good routs and catch the football. He will probably come at the veteran minimum contract as well.

I'm all for giving our young guys a chance or drafting someone like Broyles in the mid rounds, but I wouldn't be opposed to Crayton if he can still play. He'll catch the ball and move the chains.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldn't the vet minimum for a guy like him be like 800k? **** paying 800k to Patrick Crayton.