Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have fun with Livings.
I pray he pulls a Mathis (who EVERYONE but Paul Alexander wanted to start) for you guys and doesnt get Romo killed.

Oh yeah, don't run to the left. Ever.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We just gave a 5 year, 19 million dollar contract to Nate Livings.... wtf?

Wow, that really just put a bad taste in my mouth now about this free agency. Sure he has size, but he sucks. Forget DeCastro now. 14 is going to be a front 7 player for sure.

Damn.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post

Wow, that really just put a bad taste in my mouth now about this free agency. Sure he has size, but he sucks. Forget DeCastro now. 14 is going to be a front 7 player for sure.

Damn.
I'm not sure we could get worse guard play than we have the last 2 years, so even if he sucks, he would probably be an improvement. I'm not sold on DeCastro getting to 14 anyway, given his "once every 10 years" rep.

The one thing we haven't touched this free agency is upgrading our pass rush, which is a huge area of need. This signing frees us up a bit to concentrate on that in the draft.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I'm not sure we could get worse guard play than we have the last 2 years, so even if he sucks, he would probably be an improvement. I'm not sold on DeCastro getting to 14 anyway, given his "once every 10 years" rep.

The one thing we haven't touched this free agency is upgrading our pass rush, which is a huge area of need. This signing frees us up a bit to concentrate on that in the draft.
I do agree that he is probably better than Nagy regardless of what PFF says because of his size alone, buy I really don't get this. We got a veteran in Bernedeau. I'd rather draft a guy with talent and try to develop him.

I wonder what this means for Kosier.. I agree with D-Unit that he is cheap enough to keep around. We'll see. I think the draft will tell us what they plan to do on the OL. If they still pick an interior guy in the top 3 rounds then I guess this was basically for depth purposes, but Livings did get starter money.

Don't forget about OT either. That could easily be a 3rd round pick. I like Parnell but I wouldn't mind more depth.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post

Damn.
Way to ruin my day.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that was unexpected. But at least with these guys, maybe we'll actually be able to get a push in the running game. Romo makes our pass protection better than it actually is, and improving the running game was a huge concern for me. Looks like it was for the coaching staff as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not much good to say about Livings. His best attribute was having Whitworth or Cook bail his ass out.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Way to ruin my day.
In hindsight, it isn't a terrible deal. At least we are addressing the OL. I would rather have Livings than Nagy in there any day.

I am perplexed though. Livings got a 5 year deal and Bernedeau got a 4 year deal. That would probably make them the starters at guard for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't hate that, especially if Bernedeau reaches his potential and we get a real center.

I wonder what this means for Arkin. Maybe they will rent Kosier for one more year at center, and then let Arkin take over in 2013.

They probably realized that Costa, Nagy, and Kowalski are probably only back ups at best, and that is a good thing. At least they are being honest with themselves.

I hope Callahan is all he is cracked up to be because we are gonna need it.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 03-16-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

None of these guys got deals that would make them untouchable, so if we miss on one, or both of them, i'm pretty sure they're easily cuttable after this season.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
None of these guys got deals that would make them untouchable, so if we miss on one, or both of them, i'm pretty sure they're easily cuttable after this season.
Agreed. I'm sure they covered there bases. Besides, I trust Garrett and Callahan. They probably saw something on tape that gives them hope. I highly doubt they can be worse than what we've had at guard here lately. At least they bring size.

By the way, here are the new jersey numbers, subject to change of course:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ni...tId=b logDest

Quote:
25 – Brodney Poole, safety
39 – Brandon Carr, cornerback
18 – Kyle Orton, quarterback
47 – Lawrence Vickers, fullback
56 – Dan Connor, linebacker
73 – Mackenzy Bernadeau, guard

Last edited by CDCB14 : 03-16-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Livings is a big surprise. I don't know much about him and I'm going to reserve judgement until I see him play. We didn't give up a ton of cash for him, which is a good thing.

It's pretty much a certainty that we will be going defense early and often in this draft.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess you could say that the team doesn't believe in our youth movement anymore. Maybe they have a little hope for Arkin at center, but it appears not the others.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I'm sure Garrett saw what was going on in the line last year and said motherfuck a youth movement. And i agree.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like you ******* are spending your money wisely (for the most part). Carr will be a solid addition, at least an upgrade, and Orton should be a quality backup for you guys. Connor will come in and at least provide competition, if not, play a significant role in the defense. Him and Lee back together makes me jealous, since I'm a PSU fan. Poole is going to be interesting, as an Eagles fan, I like that signing, lol. The linemen are a little confusing. They fit schematically, just not sure if either will pan out like it seems the team is hoping for. Though you got most of your guys for relatively cheap, so not too bad. I'm just glad you're investing in OL with those guys now and not on a guy like DeCastro. Not sure he'd make it to 15 anyway, but if the Eagles can't bring back Mathis, I would love to add a guy like DeCastro, and having one more team that may not draft him won't hurt.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Tweet from Broaddus about Bernedeau is encouraging:

Quote:
They didn't sign these guys to sit around and be backups. I studied Bernadeau last night and he did some nice things run + pass
Then he said this about Livings:

Quote:
One man's trash is another's treasure...welcome to free agency. You shouldn't like the Pool signing either but it's for 1 yr.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

One more tweet. I asked Broaddus if he think Bernedeau can become a solid starter and he said this:

Quote:
I think he is better than anything they played with at left guard last season. Kid plays hard and with some power.
That has me optimistic at least.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sold on Livings or Bernadeau, but at least they are acknowledging the need. It's been years since they've spent this much emphasis on the OL.

If we can protect Romo a bit better, he can elevate his game a bit to the elite level, at least that's my hope.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Just read on dallascowboys.com that Livings only gave up 3.5 sacks over the last two seasons. I don't know much about him but less then 2 sacks a season is pretty good imo.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not overly excited about Livings but I'm confident enough that JG will approach the interior OL as an open competition in TC, and if Livings is one of the guys that rises to the top and starts week 1 then I'm okay with it. Can't argue too much with competition, and there's going to be a ton of it along the interior.

Besides, how can our running game not be better with this guy lead blocking:

how can you not love that signing?!

Last edited by TheFinisher : 03-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Love that Vickers video. He's an animal.

Here is a breakdown of all of our free agents contracts:

Quote:
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have deals with seven free agents, but their first six signings will account for $11.16 million in salary-cap space in 2012.

Brandon Carr has the highest number at $3.2 million as part of his six-year, $60 million contract that included a $10 million signing bonus. The final year of Carr’s contract can void, so the Cowboys will be able to turn Carr’s 2013 base salary of $14.3 million into signing bonus and prorate that through 2017.

Linebacker Dan Connor will count $2.15 against the cap, followed by quarterback Kyle Orton ($1.9 million), guard/center Mackenzy Bernadeau ($1.81 million), safety Brodney Pool ($1.2 million) and fullback Lawrence Vickers ($900,000).

The breakdown of Nate Livings' five-year contract is not yet known, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported it pays him $19 million over five years with $6.2 million guaranteed.

Before free agency started, the Cowboys cleared about $17 million in salary-cap space by restructuring the contracts of cornerback Orlando Scandrick, tackle Doug Free and wide receiver Dez Bryant. They also released cornerback Terence Newman and kicker David Buehler.

Those moves helped offset a $10 million hit against the Cowboys’ cap handed down by the NFL on Monday. The league took away $5 million from the Cowboys this year and will take away another $5 million in 2013 for the deal wide receiver Miles Austin signed in 2010, which was an uncapped year.
I love the Connor contract. Relatively cheap and it's two years. Great insurance for Bruce Carter, and if Carter pans out he's not making too much so he will be a great #3.

Man, I love Stephen Jones.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I'm not sold on Livings or Bernadeau, but at least they are acknowledging the need. It's been years since they've spent this much emphasis on the OL.
This.

Makes me feel good at least, let's get some competition going in there and address we need an upgrade. Also, call me crazy, but none of these guys are good enough that you say "well let's pass on DeCastro because we signed mid level FA's". I agree it's probably front 7 but I think we at least keep him on our board pretty high.

I just still can't get excited over our safeties. Is anyone really confident that Pool is an upgrade over Elam? Because he's not. He's different, so that at least gives us the optimism of him playing better which I like too, but the Jets need a safety just as bad as us, if not worse, and he's been on the bench there for 2 years or so and they gave him no considerations to win the starting job.

That says something to me. But we needed to make a move, just was maybe hoping we made a splash on Landry. I mean, if he gets hurt we aren't any worse off then we have been at Safety for years now but if healthy he has a chance to be a massive improvement in a terrible secondary. Can't say that about Pool.

I guess it'll just be one of the things where I keep an eye on where he goes and how he plays. But Stephen Jones has given me a lot of confidence this off-season with how he's handled things, we didn't have much money but we made it go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't Pool play for Rob in Cleveland?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

UGH, signed Ogletree to a 1 yr deal

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Didn't Pool play for Rob in Cleveland?
Yea he did, so did Elam also, wish I knew who played better during that time but regardless we didn't upgrade, it's a lateral move which is fine. Your not going to go into FA and expect to find a massive upgrade and your strapped for cash.

Maybe I need to see what Landry gets for his contract. I just don't see very many options in the draft to be a starter minus Barron and 14 is too soon, 2nd rd pick will be too late. Then were looking at another year of "Safety will be 1st rd pick next year" only for it to not happen lol.

We technically need 2 safeties, so maybe that's why I wanted to swing for the fences there and if we swing and miss we won't be any worse off.

I think Pool is better then Elam in coverage though, and Sensy does a good job covering TE's, so maybe we improve in that aspect.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
UGH, signed Ogletree to a 1 yr deal
Didn't know we were in the business of giving away money I should have tried out. I wanted to take a flier at WR this off-season but why not Eddie Royal? He fits beautifully in the slot, adds an impact punt returner(we still need a consistent one), and signed for 3 years 13 million, not bad.

I hate Ogletree now. He's dumb. I don't want to sit around and talk about your potential if you are a stupid football player. Same reason I wanted Choice and Marty B gone, but just when we get close he comes back.

Quote: