Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
It's highly unlikely, with so many needs on D it's hard to justify a WR this high. However, Kendall Wright would look great in the slot here. Imagine that offense: Romo spreading it around to Dez, Miles, and Wright, Witten. Running the ball with Murray. Thats just scary. By all means I do not see this happening, but hey a guy can dream right?
It's very possible that come 14 all of the bigger targets are gone. Why not trade back to the mid 20's grad our defensive player or IL and then trade back into round 1 and give up one of our 2's and take a look see at Wright if he's there.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Here is the breakdown of Livings' contract:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ntract-details

That really isn't that expensive at all, especially in the first 2 years. I still think the organization should give DeCastro a hard look. I trust Callahan to get the most out of these guys, but they could still just end up being JAG's. They'll probably be better than Nagy, Holland, or Dockery and even Kosier at this point in his career, but if they end up being JAG's and DeCastro becomes a perennial all pro it will be a decision we regret.

To leroyisgod, posted this in draft thread not this one by accident:

As for taking a WR at 14, hell no. That would just be dumb. We already have 2 pro-bowl caliber guys, and you can win a super bowl with anyone at WR. As long as you have a QB wide receivers aren't that important. Look at what Brady has done his entire career besides that one super season with Randy Moss. Don't get me wrong great WR's are definitely an asset, but picking one in the top 15 with our current roster is just dumb.
I agree. this looks like a 2 year contract tops. I don't think they would let Livings get in teh way of DeCastro if he's there.

I just think it's becoming more and more unlikely that DeCastro is there at 14.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I agree. this looks like a 2 year contract tops. I don't think they would let Livings get in teh way of DeCastro if he's there.

I just think it's becoming more and more unlikely that DeCastro is there at 14.
I think DeCastro will be there. He's falling in mocks. Scott has him going to the Bengals. But forget him. We aren't going there. In a deep draft for Guard, it makes for a bad decision. I'll keep saying ... Zeitler is just as good if not better.

The Livings deal doesn't look bad salary wise (IF we cut him after 2 years). But if he doesn't play good, then it doesn't look good in any year. Just a waste of space and pushes back the playing time someone else could've gotten instead and also negatively affects OL cohesion.

I think the guy is no hidden gem. I think he's worse than a JAG and simply a bad signing. I think he's a downgrade from Montrae Holland too to be honest. Time will tell, but I'm putting this call on Callahan and he's going to be judged based off what he can do with Livings. That said... I don't need All-stars at every position. IF he can be decent and not make a habit of clogging holes by falling on his own ass and blocking out our RB (like he has been accussed of in Cincy) then that will be fine by me.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think DeCastro will be there. He's falling in mocks. Scott has him going to the Bengals. But forget him. We aren't going there. In a deep draft for Guard, it makes for a bad decision. I'll keep saying ... Zeitler is just as good if not better.
YOu know what, I'm gonna give you a hot sports opinion.

I think there might be 2 or 3 guys that might end up better than DeCastro in 3 years. Zeitler, Silatolu, Brooks & Washington all look like they could be beasts. And that's not even including Glenn. I've been saying for some time, it makes very little sense to draft a guard at 14 when this is the deepest draft for guard in years.

Quote:
The Livings deal doesn't look bad salary wise (IF we cut him after 2 years). But if he doesn't play good, then it doesn't look good in any year. Just a waste of space and pushes back the playing time someone else could've gotten instead and also negatively affects OL cohesion.

I think the guy is no hidden gem. I think he's worse than a JAG and simply a bad signing. I think he's a downgrade from Montrae Holland too to be honest. Time will tell, but I'm putting this call on Callahan and he's going to be judged based off what he can do with Livings. That said... I don't need All-stars at every position. IF he can be decent and not make a habit of clogging holes by falling on his own ass and blocking out our RB (like he has been accussed of in Cincy) then that will be fine by me.
I'm not going to argue with you too much.

However, I will say this. I think there are some things about these guys that everyone is overlooking. All are said to be good guy in the lockeroom and they all have been tagged as hard workers. I think this goes back to the type of guys JG is trying to put on this roster. Holland would never be mistaken for the hardest worker on the team.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
D-Ware Nightmare
Rookie

D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If the plan for Mack B is Center then I think OG does open up again on the draft boards. Obviously, it's hard to tell what Garrett's real intentions are for him, but yeah... that is one scenario that changes the need priority for OG. I'm really excited about Bernadeau and hope he rises to the opportunity that stands in front of him. He's been rated pretty highly in the limited amount of snaps that he's gotten and is a prime breakout candidate who could be a real FA gem/find.

Not as hopeful on Livings, so I think Callahan is going to have to be a miracle worker with him. One thing about Livings is that I hear he was used the wrong way in Cincy??? What do they mean by that?
I have read a bit on Livings over at cowboyszone and essentially it says that he excels when left one on one to lock on a guy and that he has only given up 3.5 sacks the last two years as a starter, however they credit sacks given up kinda weird in my opinion. In cinci they made him pull and get out in space on tosses and screens. I guess he struggles with getting second level defenders as well. All in all I am semi optimistic about him being used correctly in our new scheme. Also I really dont want to labeled as the guy who wants to switch everyones position but after FA and the lack of a healthy, elite center prospect. Would it make sense if we land Decastro to give him a look at center in camp? I mean the guy is a highly probable stud wherever he lines up, and with the responsibilities of a center in making line calls and diagnosing the D, I want a smart guy manning that spot. Matt Birk was at one point top 3 centers in the NFL on mostly smarts, without Decastro's physical tools aside from similar size. Smith, Livings, Decastro, Bernedeau, Free is intriguing to me. I guess i am probably overreacting about that gaping hole at center, but if i am picking a guard at 14 I would like some versatility along the interior to come with that kind of investment. I just dont trust Bernedeau, Costa, or Arkin to man a spot on the line with the added responsibilities of a center. Prepared for the facepalm
D-Ware Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
D-Ware Nightmare
Rookie

D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the record i dont think we go Decastro at 14, just a hypothetical if we were to get him.
D-Ware Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ware Nightmare View Post
I have read a bit on Livings over at cowboyszone and essentially it says that he excels when left one on one to lock on a guy and that he has only given up 3.5 sacks the last two years as a starter, however they credit sacks given up kinda weird in my opinion. In cinci they made him pull and get out in space on tosses and screens. I guess he struggles with getting second level defenders as well. All in all I am semi optimistic about him being used correctly in our new scheme. Also I really dont want to labeled as the guy who wants to switch everyones position but after FA and the lack of a healthy, elite center prospect. Would it make sense if we land Decastro to give him a look at center in camp? I mean the guy is a highly probable stud wherever he lines up, and with the responsibilities of a center in making line calls and diagnosing the D, I want a smart guy manning that spot. Matt Birk was at one point top 3 centers in the NFL on mostly smarts, without Decastro's physical tools aside from similar size. Smith, Livings, Decastro, Bernedeau, Free is intriguing to me. I guess i am probably overreacting about that gaping hole at center, but if i am picking a guard at 14 I would like some versatility along the interior to come with that kind of investment. I just dont trust Bernedeau, Costa, or Arkin to man a spot on the line with the added responsibilities of a center. Prepared for the facepalm
Now, that's one I haven't heard of before and I'm definitely not one to bash anyone thinking out of the box. DeCastro at C??? Haha. Very interesting to say the least.

The way the OL has been shaping up (a youth movement), I really think the guy who will be starting at Center for us on opening day will be ...

David Arkin

Yup. Garrett had the balls to put Costa in there. So why would he be hesitant to put Arkin in if the dude has been told to practice the position all season long? Especially at a time when a youth movement is in place?

The only difference I see is that we are setting ourselves up with a better backup plan. Last year, after Costa we had nada. Kowalski... an UDFA who had to step in. Now, we have an added body in Bernadeau who could slide over in case Arkin can't handle it. Costa could even still be on the team too. Who knows.

This is what I see:

LT Smith / Parnell
LG Livings / Nagy
C Arkin / Bernadeau
RG Bernadeau / Draft Pick (Rnd 1-3)
RT Free / Parnell
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Now, that's one I haven't heard of before and I'm definitely not one to bash anyone thinking out of the box. DeCastro at C??? Haha. Very interesting to say the least.

The way the OL has been shaping up (a youth movement), I really think the guy who will be starting at Center for us on opening day will be ...

David Arkin

Yup. Garrett had the balls to put Costa in there. So why would he be hesitant to put Arkin in if the dude has been told to practice the position all season long? Especially at a time when a youth movement is in place?

The only difference I see is that we are setting ourselves up with a better backup plan. Last year, after Costa we had nada. Kowalski... an UDFA who had to step in. Now, we have an added body in Bernadeau who could slide over in case Arkin can't handle it. Costa could even still be on the team too. Who knows.

This is what I see:

LT Smith / Parnell
LG Livings / Nagy
C Arkin / Bernadeau
RG Bernadeau / Draft Pick (Rnd 1-3)
RT Free / Parnell
That's only 8 offensive lineman. We will carry at least 10.

I will throw out my hope for DeCastro now because we just gave a combined 30 million to two guards, although I think he should be still in consideration and the contracts seem to be non-binding but i'm not salary cap guru.

Anyway, my hope for the OL after final cuts would be as follows:

LT- Smith, Parnell
LG- Livings, Nagy/Arkin
C- Arkin, draft pick (round 2-4)
RG- Bernedeau, Nagy/Arkin
RT- Free, draft pick (rounds 3-5)

For center I would love Phillip Blake in the 3rd, but that pretty much says Arkin is a bust because we would be drafting Blake to start sooner rather than later and the two guards got long term deals.

Also, we need another tackle. I like Parnell but we definitely need another one. We got lucky this year than none of them got hurt. With one injury we wouldn't even have a back-up. I'd take another athletic project type in the mid rounds.

Thinking about it now, Arkin really is a mystery right now. If he isn't getting reps at center come OTA's, he will probably be labeled a bust and get cut during training camp. There is no way he is going to start at guard with the two contracts we just gave to Bernedeau and Livings. Maybe they don't think he can play. I guess we will find out in the coming months if he is at center or not during mini camps. If he's a guard he isn't seeing the field. Could be a good back-up, but I don't see how they could play him and put a guy like Livings on the bench with that contract.

I trust that Garrett and Callahan saw something in Livings and Bernedeau, because I doubt they would sign them and cut Kosier when Kosier was cheap and had the whole off-season to get healthy. I trust that they will both be an upgrade, because there was no reason to sign them and cut Kosier if they weren't upgrades.

I really do hate the Livings contract though. DeCastro at 14 was perfect and could have been a perennial all pro. Oh well, I guess we can focus on pass rush at least.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
That's only 8 offensive lineman. We will carry at least 10.

I will throw out my hope for DeCastro now because we just gave a combined 30 million to two guards, although I think he should be still in consideration and the contracts seem to be non-binding but i'm not salary cap guru.

Anyway, my hope for the OL after final cuts would be as follows:

LT- Smith, Parnell
LG- Livings, Nagy/Arkin
C- Arkin, draft pick (round 2-4)
RG- Bernedeau, Nagy/Arkin
RT- Free, draft pick (rounds 3-5)

For center I would love Phillip Blake in the 3rd, but that pretty much says Arkin is a bust because we would be drafting Blake to start sooner rather than later and the two guards got long term deals.

Also, we need another tackle. I like Parnell but we definitely need another one. We got lucky this year than none of them got hurt. With one injury we wouldn't even have a back-up. I'd take another athletic project type in the mid rounds.

Thinking about it now, Arkin really is a mystery right now. If he isn't getting reps at center come OTA's, he will probably be labeled a bust and get cut during training camp. There is no way he is going to start at guard with the two contracts we just gave to Bernedeau and Livings. Maybe they don't think he can play. I guess we will find out in the coming months if he is at center or not during mini camps. If he's a guard he isn't seeing the field. Could be a good back-up, but I don't see how they could play him and put a guy like Livings on the bench with that contract.

I trust that Garrett and Callahan saw something in Livings and Bernedeau, because I doubt they would sign them and cut Kosier when Kosier was cheap and had the whole off-season to get healthy. I trust that they will both be an upgrade, because there was no reason to sign them and cut Kosier if they weren't upgrades.

I really do hate the Livings contract though. DeCastro at 14 was perfect and could have been a perennial all pro. Oh well, I guess we can focus on pass rush at least.
Believe it or not our OL graded out better than good last season. We obviously are always harder on ourselves, but in comparison to the rest of the league, we weren't as bad as you think. They were in their prime during the Murray break out. The thing about Cowboys fans is we like to have a stud name at every position or we think the world is crumbling. Fact is... our OL only needed a slight upgrade in the interior, preferrably with guys who are young enough to establish a long term future with and build continuity. With what we did, I feel like did "enough". While not "fresh and sparkly", it's got more than a fighting chance to succeed.

The achilles heel of this team and the reason for our collapses can be pinpointed to our horrible secondary. No front 7 could've pressured opposing QBs with a secondary so porous. Yet, we were in the Top 3rd of the league in sacks. Carr should help out a lot, but the picks we have need to be focused on defense heavily in this year's draft.... because Safety is still being held together by duct tape, and we need a corner back who we can sick like a dog on opposing slot WRs.

Our front 7 was a strength of the team last year and I think we've put ourselves in a nice luxurious position to be able to improve them. Hatcher had a nice breakout season. Lissemore showed he deserves more playing time. Anthony Spencer has a chance to prove to the team that he can be better with a better supporting cast. Connor was a nice addition to our ILB unit. I like the direction we are going, but the secondary is far from "patched up".
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact you just called our interior offensive line "good" last year almost made me gag. Revisionist history at it's best there D.

Smith played very well. Romo did an EXTREMELY good job getting away from interior pressure. Our interior line was one of the worst in the league last season. Go back and watch pretty much any game and you can see how much it hamstrung the offense.

Compare Garrett's game-plans from early on in Dallas (when we had an interior offensive line worth a damn) and you will see a lot of DEEP play action pass. Now look at the middle of last season. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, of short and intermediate passes because otherwise Romo would get his collarbone broken again. Best example are the games I cannot bear to watch... focus on JPP having his way with our interior 3.

Carr is an IMMENSE improvement over Newman especially the last 8 games. Pool is a huge improvement in the passing game and to be completely honest a rather large decline in run support.

The interesting thing about our defense is that both Lisse and Hatcher could vie for more playing time this year and both MUCH more impactful at 5-tech than say Spears/Coleman etc.

Our draft is literally BPA at this point. And that's great considering where we normally sit going into the draft :D

-_- Tired of pointing out how little Livings is guaranteed in that contract. We have pretty much 2 years to make a decision on him before he makes "real" money. If one of the younger guys is ready to go he can be kicked to the curb without problems. He doesn't prevent you from drafting another guard.

He's guaranteed 6.2 million no matter what.

Base Salary by year:

2012: 1m
2013: 1.7m
2014: 3.4m
2015: 4.4m
2016: 4.75m

Pretty clear we made the contract fit what we are looking for. If he turns into an amazing starter then he stays. If he is just a stop-gap we cut him after 2013 and simply pay 3/5 of the guaranteed: ~3.5m.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...stro#storyjump

Quote:
Stanford offensive guard David DeCastro is one of the popular picks for the Dallas Cowboys in mock drafts across the nation. The Cowboys fan base absolutely loves the idea of drafting DeCastro. He is one of the safest picks in this year's draft class and one of the few blue chip prospects available. If he is available when the Cowboys go on the clock with the 14th overall pick, it would be a home run selection.

There is a possibility that he could be gone before the Cowboys pick. Guards typically don't go in the top fifteen anymore. Mike Iupati was the last guard to go high in the first round and the Cowboys were in love with him, willing to trade up for his services.

If DeCastro is gone before the 14th pick, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The sky won't come crashing down to the ground and it won't be all doom and gloom. Like wide receiver and cornerback, the guard position appears to be a pretty deep class. The talent at the guard position will be there in the later rounds. This is why we shouldn't break our remote if DeCastro is snatched up before the Cowboys have a chance to draft him.
With all that being said I will still claim that the sky is falling if they don't get DeCastro. That's just how I roll with the good ole panic attack button.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I'll take Bush as our 4th CB, but still draft someone in the top 4 rounds.
i'd rather just draft someone, whenever i watched green bay when he was on the field teams always went after him, he was the weakest link (which is why gb said goodbye). no need from scraps from someone else's secondary who was almost as bad as the cowboys
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/...stro#storyjump

With all that being said I will still claim that the sky is falling if they don't get DeCastro. That's just how I roll with the good ole panic attack button.
but a guard at 14, i think thats too high, he may be the best one but this a deep guard class, probably 6-8 guards gone by the middle of the third round, this team needs defense, defense, and defense
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Livings is a significant upgrade from Montrae Holland. The reason is simple. I don't care what PFF stats tell you, etc. etc.

The simple fact is this: Montrae Holland and Derrick Dockery could have been had for the veteran minimum. They gave Livings an average of 4 million per year, even if the first two years are cheaper. I find it hard to believe that the team would give 4 times as much money to Livings if they didn't think he was a significant upgrade.

I trust Garrett and Callahan. We still need to figure out center, and maybe they already have a plan for that with Arkin, but I trust that our interior will be improved. It's in the simple numbers of the contract. They wouldn't give Livings that much money when Holland or Dockery could be had for the vet minimum. Period.

Have a little faith in Callahan.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
The fact you just called our interior offensive line "good" last year almost made me gag. Revisionist history at it's best there D.

Smith played very well. Romo did an EXTREMELY good job getting away from interior pressure. Our interior line was one of the worst in the league last season. Go back and watch pretty much any game and you can see how much it hamstrung the offense.

Compare Garrett's game-plans from early on in Dallas (when we had an interior offensive line worth a damn) and you will see a lot of DEEP play action pass. Now look at the middle of last season. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, of short and intermediate passes because otherwise Romo would get his collarbone broken again. Best example are the games I cannot bear to watch... focus on JPP having his way with our interior 3.

Carr is an IMMENSE improvement over Newman especially the last 8 games. Pool is a huge improvement in the passing game and to be completely honest a rather large decline in run support.

The interesting thing about our defense is that both Lisse and Hatcher could vie for more playing time this year and both MUCH more impactful at 5-tech than say Spears/Coleman etc.

Our draft is literally BPA at this point. And that's great considering where we normally sit going into the draft :D

-_- Tired of pointing out how little Livings is guaranteed in that contract. We have pretty much 2 years to make a decision on him before he makes "real" money. If one of the younger guys is ready to go he can be kicked to the curb without problems. He doesn't prevent you from drafting another guard.

He's guaranteed 6.2 million no matter what.

Base Salary by year:

2012: 1m
2013: 1.7m
2014: 3.4m
2015: 4.4m
2016: 4.75m

Pretty clear we made the contract fit what we are looking for. If he turns into an amazing starter then he stays. If he is just a stop-gap we cut him after 2013 and simply pay 3/5 of the guaranteed: ~3.5m.
Using JPP as an example of why our OL sucked is laughable and you know why.

Some credit should be given to the OL for the mere fact that our offense thrived as one of the top scoring offenses in 2011. It's like I said... Cowboys fans have a panic attacks over no namers on their team. I'm guilty of this too.

Holland returned to the team and that helped a lot as he actually had a good year. PFF rated OL's in the league. We finished at 15. Avg, I thought it was higher (since I read this a while ago), that's why I made that earlier comment about them being better than good. Guess they were at league avg.

Quote:
15. Dallas Cowboys (9th in 2010)

Run Rank 16th, Pass Rank 15th, Penalties Rank 20th

It was a year of transition for the Cowboys, so they can feel somewhat relieved that they only dropped six spots from their 2010 Top 10 finish. You have to think that this process isn’t quite complete yet, with a rumored switch of tackles and a need to get better at left guard. How the 2012 offensive line performs could very well determine whether the Cowboys are able to challenge the Giants in the NFC East.

Best Player: He’s likely to play out at left tackle next year, but the play of Tyron Smith (+13.7) at right tackle was a joy to behold. If, of course, you ignore those performances against Jason Babin.

Worst Player: What happened to Doug Free (-11.9)? He looked tremendous in 2010, but really struggled with speed off the edge this year.
But look where they had the Giants OL.

Quote:
31. New York Giants (13th in 2010)

Run Rank 24th, Pass Rank 32nd, Penalties Rank 7th

Yes, they won the Super Bowl, but they did so in spite of a line that sieved pressure throughout the year. Our lowest-ranked pass protecting line had problems all over, but nowhere as bad as at the tackle positions (especially once Will Beatty was lost for the year). It wasn’t just the tackles however, with every member of the Giants’ line earning a negative grade. This explains the drop-off in the run game and makes the season that Eli Manning had all the more remarkable.

Best Player: Before his season was cut short, Will Beatty (-1.2) was having a good first year starting … outside of Trent Cole showing him what for in Week 11.

Worst Player: It’s hard to look past David Diehl (-48.1) who was terrible at guard, and even worse at tackle. His on field performance is simply unacceptable, giving up a ridiculous nine sacks, eight hits and 48 hurries during the regular season.
...and they won the SuperBowl. Any more questions on why we need to beef up the D???
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Using JPP as an example of why our OL sucked is laughable and you know why.

Some credit should be given to the OL for the mere fact that our offense thrived as one of the top scoring offenses in 2011. It's like I said... Cowboys fans have a panic attacks over no namers on their team. I'm guilty of this too.

Holland returned to the team and that helped a lot as he actually had a good year. PFF rated OL's in the league. We finished at 15. Avg, I thought it was higher (since I read this a while ago), that's why I made that earlier comment about them being better than good. Guess they were at league avg.

But look where they had the Giants OL.

...and they won the SuperBowl. Any more questions on why we need to beef up the D???
You can't go comparing things like PFF grades and use it as the end all be all. For one thing the Giants find a way to actually convert 3rd downs when we don't. They also had the luckiest streak of luck I have every seen and are the favorite child of the football gods. Some things are unexplainable.

I also look at situation football that isn't taken down in stats. The Giants made plays when they needed to, and we didn't period. And it's not because of leadership or any of that crap. They don't have any players that don't belong on an NFL field. We do. Don't even need to point out the obvious in Costa. You could argue our interior OL, both starters and back-ups don't belong in the NFL.

There's no way around that.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You can't go comparing things like PFF grades and use it as the end all be all. For one thing the Giants find a way to actually convert 3rd downs when we don't. They also had the luckiest streak of luck I have every seen and are the favorite child of the football gods. Some things are unexplainable.

I also look at situation football that isn't taken down in stats. The Giants made plays when they needed to, and we didn't period. And it's not because of leadership or any of that crap. They don't have any players that don't belong on an NFL field. We do. Don't even need to point out the obvious in Costa. You could argue our interior OL, both starters and back-ups don't belong in the NFL.

There's no way around that.
Actually, there is a way around that... as evidenced by the fact that our Offense put up a lot of points last year.

Many sources including ESPN, all the Dallas papers and BTB use PFF stats ALL THE TIME. I'm using them as example here, but you don't have to take them at face value to realize they are in the right ballpark.

The thing you aren't getting is that OL play is not neccessarily based of individual talent, but rather how they work as a group. Our guys played better as a group than their individual talent level would suggest. ...and this is not an odd occurance. That's just the way it is.

That's why even though I don't love the Livings signing, I think we've done "enough" on the OL to eliminate it as a pick 14 need.

I don't take a Guard early if it means making our defense DAMN TOUGH to score against.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just think DeCastro is good enough to trump any of the bargain bin lineman we have picked up. He's a big time prospect that should go top 10 and could instantly step in as one of the better guards in the NFL in as soon as a year, that's all I need to know. The thing is I don't think we expect him to be there, and it would be silly to plan for it.

If we were on the front end where we knew he was an option we may have opted to pass on some of those guys, but at 14 it's not likely so we need to be in a good situation(or as good as possible) because he's the only one there worth it, but I'd be willing to bet if he slid down even further no way we opt to pass. We would regret that for a long time.

As far as the PFF grades and stats, I like them. Don't use them as the 'be all end all' or anything, but it does help provide some credence to your argument. I tend to follow up with their stuff to see if the grades and scores come out to what I see with my own eyes, but again with stats for certain positions your never gonna get the whole story no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I just think DeCastro is good enough to trump any of the bargain bin lineman we have picked up. He's a big time prospect that should go top 10 and could instantly step in as one of the better guards in the NFL in as soon as a year, that's all I need to know. The thing is I don't think we expect him to be there, and it would be silly to plan for it.

If we were on the front end where we knew he was an option we may have opted to pass on some of those guys, but at 14 it's not likely so we need to be in a good situation(or as good as possible) because he's the only one there worth it, but I'd be willing to bet if he slid down even further no way we opt to pass. We would regret that for a long time.

As far as the PFF grades and stats, I like them. Don't use them as the 'be all end all' or anything, but it does help provide some credence to your argument. I tend to follow up with their stuff to see if the grades and scores come out to what I see with my own eyes, but again with stats for certain positions your never gonna get the whole story no matter what.
Very true... he's much better than what we got. I don't think anyone can argue that. But there are other factors that mitigate the need to go luxury there.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not sure that fortifying the o line is a luxury. DeCastro is a safe, top tier prospect in an area that we need help in. He would not be a bad pick, or a luxury pick... IMO.

However, I do see the point that D-Unit made a while back concerning the rookie salary cap. The smart money is to draft positions that command a higher salary earlier in the draft. If you hit on a great player at a skill position, you get him at a small price. The rookie salary cap has made high salary players more draftable-if that is even a word, in the early rounds.

Now that we signed a couple of O linemen early in FA, I am ok with drafting a DL or OLB. But the truth is no one will regret drafting a pro bowler in the first round, regardless of position. I am more comfortable with drafting a DL or OLB now. But I would rather get a a pro bowler at anything. We need players, not prospects.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I am not sure that fortifying the o line is a luxury. DeCastro is a safe, top tier prospect in an area that we need help in. He would not be a bad pick, or a luxury pick... IMO.

However, I do see the point that D-Unit made a while back concerning the rookie salary cap. The smart money is to draft positions that command a higher salary earlier in the draft. If you hit on a great player at a skill position, you get him at a small price. The rookie salary cap has made high salary players more draftable-if that is even a word, in the early rounds.

Now that we signed a couple of O linemen early in FA, I am ok with drafting a DL or OLB. But the truth is no one will regret drafting a pro bowler in the first round, regardless of position. I am more comfortable with drafting a DL or OLB now. But I would rather get a a pro bowler at anything. We need players, not prospects.
At this point I think it's more of a want than a need, but that said I'd be fine with drafting a Guard if we trade down in Round 1, and ADD A PICK, but at 14 I think that is just too high.

I think people are attracted to DeCastro (I feel like this too sometimes) mostly because the options at 14 are just not that great. The value of the pick is more valuable than the player you'd get at 14. There's no Earl Thomas type safety, no Demarcus Ware/Shawne Merriman type OLB, no JJ Watt type DE. That's why I think we hear DeCastro's name so common here. Sure, he's a good talent at OG... but damn... it's guard man. lol.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL D nice spin on your reply.

Our offense produced points and therefore our offensive line is great! Hyperbole is silly just like the JPP argument. Our interior offensive line got BULLIED and it prevented us from running our offense.

The fact we have ELITE talent at skill positions and still put up points with a ****** interior line doesn't mean we should expect Romo to houdini his way around interior pass rushers every time. Same with Murray it's a roll of the dice as to whether he'll have a running lane and most of the time he'll need to bounce outside because we have zero interior push. Scroll back to all of your posts diagramming our STRUGGLES with interior push and it was crippling our goal line and short-yardage ability.

As I said revisionist history at its finest. You complained all season about our interior line and now because PFF said so it's no longer a major need...:P Funny in that you criticized others on this board for using PFF to make decisions during the season O_o

As far as value I 100% agree. I see two prospect WORTH the #14 and fit a supposed "need".

1) DeCastro (I don't care if he's a guard he's an elite prospect and better than Iupati whom Dallas tried to trade up for)

2) Ingram

I think Coples, Brockers, Cox, Poe, and Kirkpatrick will all be drafted well above their values.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adam Caplan tweeted that the Titans and Kam Wimbley agree to a 5 yr 35 mil contract. Those numbers are pretty managable... Cowboys could have swung it if they renounced Spencers Tag and didn't sign Livings.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spencer is better than Wimbley. You're better off with Spencer.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Cowboys are not tied to them long term...yes, I agree... however, so long as they ARE paying them, they ARE paying them starter money. People like to say they aren't, and but they are.

I cannot think it's logical for us to believe that we will still target DeCastro at 14. Earliest I think we would address OL is in a trade down to the later part of Round 1 or Round 2. But at 14, there's no way I think we draft DeCastro after these signings. I'm not saying I'm right, but that's what I think.
Livings is getting less that 7m guaranteed over 5 years...that is not starting money...it's easy to see big numbers and say he's a starter...but starters are paid in guaranteed money. We could draft DeCastro and leave Livings on the team for 2 years as a ultility interior OL and cut him and only have to pay him 4 million over 2 years....we got younger and still kept experience...I am not a fan of the signing but all these reports seem over the top. We got a veteran interior OL that is 4 years younger and bigger for a little over a mill a year guaranteed. That is an upgrade no matter how you look at it. We need cohesion on our OL and last time I checked we didn't have a guy more than a year of starting experience...not sure what everyone really expected with our situation.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote