Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Observations from the 1st half:

-In his limited action, DeMarco Murray looked great.
-Brandon Carr is the man. Great fit for the defense.
-Felix Jones is terrible. What a shame.
-Looks like Bruce Carter has won the job, if there was any previous doubt.
-Olawale better be on the 53. He won't make it to the practice squad.
-Claiborne looked smooth, and man he looks awesome in a Cowboys uni.
-Gotta give Ogletree credit, he has earned the 3rd WR job.
-OL was a lot better tonight. With Costa and Livings we should be OK.
-The Chris Jones play, hopefully that is a sign of good fortune for this season.
TheFlash (CDCB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
Observations from the 1st half:

-In his limited action, DeMarco Murray looked great.
-Brandon Carr is the man. Great fit for the defense.
-Felix Jones is terrible. What a shame.
-Looks like Bruce Carter has won the job, if there was any previous doubt.
-Olawale better be on the 53. He won't make it to the practice squad.
-Claiborne looked smooth, and man he looks awesome in a Cowboys uni.
-Gotta give Ogletree credit, he has earned the 3rd WR job.
-OL was a lot better tonight. With Costa and Livings we should be OK.
-The Chris Jones play, hopefully that is a sign of good fortune for this season.
Forgot to mention Arkin's 3 penalties.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's good to be back on the boards, I admit that I have been slacking all off season and am just getting back into the groove. My son was born last week and the last couple of months have been devoted to making his entrance into this world as smooth as possible. I have watched the two preseason games in their entirety though and this is my input so far:

- These injuries are getting ridiculous but it is an amazing opportunity for young players to get play time against top competition

-Arkin looks completely lost running with the first team

-I really hope Tyron or Free don't get injured, the reserve tackles have looked really bad. Parnell has been nicked up and is still extremely raw... Jeff Adams who received the workload at LT after the 1st half was simply man handled and Pat McQuistan wasn't much better on the other side.

- I wouldn't be surprised if the team shook down another vet O-lineman off the street or waiver wire as pre-season comes to a close.

-Looks like the young WR's made some nice strides... Holmes had a good game against the Raiders and displayed the ability to use his big frame to wall off defenders. Beasley looks the part of a solid slot WR, has the ability to change speeds in and out of breaks and sits in the soft areas of zone coverage. Harris has also impressed me with his route running and ability to catch the ball in traffic. It is going to be extremely difficult to get any of these guys to the practice squad. That being said Ogletree has been solid as well but the team probably has a feel for what his ceiling is. The rumors of Shipley would be a nice option on a 2 year deal as a slot WR while the youngin's can continue to develop.

-Safety play has impressed me thus far is preseason....Solid but I still feel as if Rob is running two SS's and the defense will be susceptible to shaky play in deep coverage.

- Mario Butler caught my attention as a guy who isn't afraid to help in against the run and is helping his cause by splitting reps at corner and safety. I can easily see him cracking the 53 man roster as a utility DB.

- Albright and Lemon have both looked solid running the second team defense and may force the team to keep 5 ILB on the roster.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
It's good to be back on the boards, I admit that I have been slacking all off season and am just getting back into the groove. My son was born last week and the last couple of months have been devoted to making his entrance into this world as smooth as possible. I have watched the two preseason games in their entirety though and this is my input so far:

- These injuries are getting ridiculous but it is an amazing opportunity for young players to get play time against top competition

-I really hope Tyron or Free don't get injured, the reserve tackles have looked really bad. Parnell has been nicked up and is still extremely raw... Jeff Adams who received the workload at LT after the 1st half was simply man handled and Pat McQuistan wasn't much better on the other side.

- I wouldn't be surprised if the team shook down another vet O-lineman off the street or waiver wire as pre-season comes to a close.

-Looks like the young WR's made some nice strides... Holmes had a good game against the Raiders and displayed the ability to use his big frame to wall off defenders. Beasley looks the part of a solid slot WR, has the ability to change speeds in and out of breaks and sits in the soft areas of zone coverage. Harris has also impressed me with his route running and ability to catch the ball in traffic. It is going to be extremely difficult to get any of these guys to the practice squad. That being said Ogletree has been solid as well but the team probably has a feel for what his ceiling is. The rumors of Shipley would be a nice option on a 2 year deal as a slot WR while the youngin's can continue to develop.

-Safety play has impressed me thus far is preseason....Solid but I still feel as if Rob is running two SS's and the defense will be susceptible to shaky play in deep coverage.

- Mario Butler caught my attention as a guy who isn't afraid to help in against the run and is helping his cause by splitting reps at corner and safety. I can easily see him cracking the 53 man roster as a utility DB.

- Albright and Lemon have both looked solid running the second team defense and may force the team to keep 5 ILB on the roster.
Congrats on the new bundle of joy.

I think last night's game was like most preseason games. There were some good things and bad things. The first half looked good while the second didn't. The line didn't play as terrible as game one, but there is still a lot of progress needed to be made there. They are the link to the offense being very effective. I think Romo is playing brilliant, and Dez is going to blow up this year. Murray is a beast in the making, but none of that matters if the line isn't shored up. I don't have faith in Costya, but if they can play like the first time did last night then it might not hamper the offense. Romo was getting some good looks out there, and with the third receiver battle looking good I have faith that the offense could work well if the line holds up.

The young guys on defense learned a good lesson. They weren't as good as against Oakland, but they still had the right type of hustle. I'm liking the corners. Lionel Smith and Mario Butler keep playing consistently well. Claiborne is taking his lumps now, but the talent is evident. Now I know I'm silly for this, but I keep hoping like hell that AOA makes something of himself. Every time I see him play I'm asking, "Holy hell. Who is that guy? He looks huge...oh that's just AOA." The guy has a great build, but he hasn't put it together yet. Such a shame. Oh well. Carr looked great, and there is plenty to build with behind him. They all took some lumps last night, but there is a lot to work with. I just hope that Rob doesn't start calling bad games like he did last year. Before that Philly game he was doing some nice things, but then he put up some Bizarro gameplan against Philly. Some how he went from being a heavy blitzer that was a bad match up for Vick to this guy who threw out some weird zones. I don't understand it.

The penalties still get me. That will continue to hold them back until it's fixed. It's been going on for too long now. We're talking about since the freaking Campo years.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the injury to Terrell Thomas, as long as we can protect Romo we should be able to pass on the Giants. I know Giants fans are in love with Hosley, but he'd get absolutely embarrassed by Miles and/or Dez, and the same goes for Amukamara. Hosley is 5'9'' 175 pounds and he's a rookie. Not to mention, Virginia Tech players usually never end up being as good as they were in college. Webster is good, but he can't covering Dez 1 on 1. Phillips and Rolle are overrated too. I remember one of Broaddus' reports last year talking about how overrated they are and that Rolle is pathetic in the slot. Witten out is going to be a big blow, but if we protect Romo there still should be guys open. The good thing is our tackles are our strength (if Free gets his head out of his ass), so that should hopefully keep JPP offf Romo's back. If anyone is tailor-made to block him, it's Tyron Smith. DeMarco Murray is going to be huge too. Sucks that Felix Jones is a bum now, but oh well. Hopefully Garrett has learned his lesson about drafting situation players that high.

Last edited by TheFlash (CDCB) : 08-19-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Congrats on the new bundle of joy.

I think last night's game was like most preseason games. There were some good things and bad things. The first half looked good while the second didn't. The line didn't play as terrible as game one, but there is still a lot of progress needed to be made there. They are the link to the offense being very effective. I think Romo is playing brilliant, and Dez is going to blow up this year. Murray is a beast in the making, but none of that matters if the line isn't shored up. I don't have faith in Costya, but if they can play like the first time did last night then it might not hamper the offense. Romo was getting some good looks out there, and with the third receiver battle looking good I have faith that the offense could work well if the line holds up.

The young guys on defense learned a good lesson. They weren't as good as against Oakland, but they still had the right type of hustle. I'm liking the corners. Lionel Smith and Mario Butler keep playing consistently well. Claiborne is taking his lumps now, but the talent is evident. Now I know I'm silly for this, but I keep hoping like hell that AOA makes something of himself. Every time I see him play I'm asking, "Holy hell. Who is that guy? He looks huge...oh that's just AOA." The guy has a great build, but he hasn't put it together yet. Such a shame. Oh well. Carr looked great, and there is plenty to build with behind him. They all took some lumps last night, but there is a lot to work with. I just hope that Rob doesn't start calling bad games like he did last year. Before that Philly game he was doing some nice things, but then he put up some Bizarro gameplan against Philly. Some how he went from being a heavy blitzer that was a bad match up for Vick to this guy who threw out some weird zones. I don't understand it.

The penalties still get me. That will continue to hold them back until it's fixed. It's been going on for too long now. We're talking about since the freaking Campo years.
AOA is garbage. It's surprising, but sometimes guys just don't have it. I'm shocked that guys are getting trimmed off the roster who actually have done something, yet he remains. It really is puzzling.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
AOA is garbage. It's surprising, but sometimes guys just don't have it. I'm shocked that guys are getting trimmed off the roster who actually have done something, yet he remains. It really is puzzling.
training camp bodies
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post

Congratulations on the newborn! Don't tell me you named him Witten. haha.

Been a slow offseason for me too but I've enjoyed not paying attention to football for a little while. You mentioned Mario Butler... he's caught my eye too. Took me a while to figure who that guy with the dreads was because his hair was always blocking his name.

The D as a whole has looked great so far...but I already see the media pumping them up already. Hey ESPN, PLEASE don't make them overrated too soon, ok?

Free has looked terrible to me, so I hope he gets back into 2010 form now that he's at RT again.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posting from my phone, just wanted to mention how god awful Felix Jones is. Just a complete waste in every sense of the word, and i wish very ill on him. That is all.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Posting from my phone, just wanted to mention how god awful Felix Jones is. Just a complete waste in every sense of the word, and i wish very ill on him. That is all.
first, what goes around comes around

second, felix jones has absolutely no blocking whenever he has run the ball, i'm in the minority i believe he going to have a productive season as the change of pace guy
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa Dez injured his knee...shocker. :/ Oh Miles is out too...ur joking :/

Anyone could have seen this coming.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Whoa Dez injured his knee...shocker. :/ Oh Miles is out too...ur joking :/

Anyone could have seen this coming.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU!@!!!!

... hopefully it's nothing but I'll be holding my breath until that MRI report comes back.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dez's knee injury seems to be minor. Patellar tendenitis. Unknown how long he'll be out. I'd say possibly a week.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I second beast mode. I think Felix is good.

Here are my thoughts so far-

I think Ogletree, Beasley and Harris look good. That would be my WR group, to pair with Dez and Miles.

Interior line is horrid. I sure do wish they would have addressed that. I know it's too late now, but I sure wish we would have taken Decastro and another guard or center in the second.

Brandon Carr looks pretty good, as doe Claiborn. Actually, the defense has had it's moments.

But that O line...I can't see us making the playoffs with them.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I second beast mode. I think Felix is good.

Here are my thoughts so far-

I think Ogletree, Beasley and Harris look good. That would be my WR group, to pair with Dez and Miles.

Interior line is horrid. I sure do wish they would have addressed that. I know it's too late now, but I sure wish we would have taken Decastro and another guard or center in the second.

Brandon Carr looks pretty good, as doe Claiborn. Actually, the defense has had it's moments.

But that O line...I can't see us making the playoffs with them.
Impossible to tell on the oline. We haven't had our starting lineup yet lol. Big Mac has solid anchor and Livings was excelling at camp prior to injury. I honestly think our interior line will be passable (better than last year) and the player that scares me the most so far on the line? Doug Free. He has looked very poor this offseason and NOTHING like the player playing RT two years ago.

I think 'Tree has locked up a roster spot although I don't see us using the same guy as the 3rd WR. Think we'll be platooning the spot based on play call/field position. Problem I see with 'Tree coming into his own is that it makes the back end of the WR depth VERY competitive. I think in the end Beasley, Harris, and Holmes will make the roster giving us six guys at the spot. Potentially at the expense of a 3rd QB or 4th OT.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

After reading a lot of reports, I think Dez's injury is actually a good thing, just like how Garrett said Jason Witten's injury is probably a good thing so he can get his legs back. A week to just sit on his a** is probably damn good for Dez's body right now. He had all of the OTA's and mini-camps, and he was in all of training camp up to this point, so he's definitely in football shape and has gotten enough work with Romo. He knows the offense now and he'll be fine. Witten's is a little different because he may miss the Giants game, but this Dez injury is probably a blessing in disguise. He plays so freakin' hard that a week to 10 days off before the start of the season is probably a good thing.

Now Miles, that's a different story. If he doesn't get back on the field soon and/or has a bad season, that contract could start to look bad real soon.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't over analyze the OL guys. I know it's not great, but at the end of the day, offense is determined by 1 thing: ppg.

The Cowboys, even with the horrible interior OL, is very effective on offense. You guys put up points. A lot of points. As long as you can continue to score at that rate, even if you have a slight drop in production offensively, along with the improvements with the defense, there's no reason to believe that this team won't be better (at least on paper) this year vs last year.

I can't guarantee that the record will show that, but I do think this team is better than last year's team.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Don't over analyze the OL guys. I know it's not great, but at the end of the day, offense is determined by 1 thing: ppg.

The Cowboys, even with the horrible interior OL, is very effective on offense. You guys put up points. A lot of points. As long as you can continue to score at that rate, even if you have a slight drop in production offensively, along with the improvements with the defense, there's no reason to believe that this team won't be better (at least on paper) this year vs last year.

I can't guarantee that the record will show that, but I do think this team is better than last year's team.
The only place on the OL that I can say we got better at was LT. The rest of the line...Livings, Costa, Mack and Free are dog poop. Absolute trash. I don't even know if we can score points with no QB protection and running lanes to go through. Not to mention our WR corps is the very definition of fragile. Even our rookies can't stay healthy. I'm not expecting an 8-8 season again. No way... not unless our defense is absolutely amazing. Only then will we have a chance.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

people here way over think our OL situation

Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

We scored less than 20 points 6 times in 2011 and were 1-5 in those games. The Packers and Saints combined for 1 game under 20 last year. We're not elite, nor consistent. We certainly have the potential with the skill position talent, but can't seem to get there. The crap interior offensive line had something to do w/ that.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
people here way over think our OL situation
Or underthink. :)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's actually both.

We don't need a world-class line to win football games. As BBD said we have proven we can be an excellent offense capable of being borderline dominant even with a makeshift line. We need a SOLID offensive line which we cannot grade our current crop since they haven't taken the field together yet.

Livings was solid during camp prior to injury. Big Mac has been solid in action thus far since returning. If Costa can fix his snaps last season and plays with even a semblance of anchor there is ZERO reason we can't better the production from last year.

However on the other side. You cannot have any exploitable holes on the offense line or it will completely demolish your gameplan. If Costa can't anchor expect a lot of bull rushes up the middle along with a lot of stunts. If Free continues to struggle with outside moves you can expect teams to exploit that and put a lot less bull-rushes and more finesse corner rushes on top of Free.

If we are forced to alter our gameplan to protect Romo from the offensive line it will hurt. A lot. Garrett loves play action and taking shots deep and provided our line can be adequate we'll be more than capable of being a dominant offense.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

The Giants did have a crappy OL last year and that gives me hope.

As they say.... let the games play out! :D
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The only place on the OL that I can say we got better at was LT. The rest of the line...Livings, Costa, Mack and Free are dog poop. Absolute trash. I don't even know if we can score points with no QB protection and running lanes to go through. Not to mention our WR corps is the very definition of fragile. Even our rookies can't stay healthy. I'm not expecting an 8-8 season again. No way... not unless our defense is absolutely amazing. Only then will we have a chance.
I'm sorry but I flat out disagree. Free is not trash. He had a few bad games last year... sue him. He'll be fine. I also refuse to believe that Bernadeau and Livings aren't atleast decent upgrades because they could have just kept/re-signed who they had for less money. Bernadeau is a serious upgrade over Kosier with the way Kosier played last year. Now you can attribute that to Kosier being old, hurt, and just not that good, but it's still an upgrade. And I doubt Montrae Holland is better than Livings. I'm not the biggest Livings supporter, but give the guy a chance first. Who cares about previous perceptions of players....? Doesn't mean they can't be good elsewhere. OoooOOoh PFF had Livings as one of the worst guards in football.. blah blah. Bengals fans don't miss him at all, blah blah. Well, obviously Garrett and Callahan saw something in him that they thought would make the team better, and until they are proven wrong I will trust their judgement. If Justin Tuck is making them look like school girls on Sept. 5th then i'll say I was wrong, but until then let's relax. I don't mean to sound like an eternal optimist, but by your logic then all UDFA's are trash and what's the point in signing them? Where would we be right now without Romo? Why do 1st round picks bust, they we're so dominant in college? Things change dude. Everyone hated the Leonard Davis signing, and he was dominant for 3 years. (Faded after that very quickly, but it was a good signing).

Besides, i'll say it again, the Giants and Patriots OL's were nothing special at all last year, and they were the 2 teams in the superbowl. The Giants OL is worse than our's right now. Look at it. Our tackles destroy theirs, and Costa and Baas are pretty much equal. They may have slightly better guards, but they're nothing special either. The thing is, somehow Eli can work his magic with almost no protection. But as pure OL's go, i'll take our's over the Giants anyday if both are healthy. List off their starters.. if you heard the players and didn't know what team they were on would you think that team is going to the playoffs? Probably not.

Chill out on the interior OL. They're not as bad as you think, and Romo and Callahan will make it work. Sheesh, someone likes to overreact. We're not even at the 3rd pre-season game yet...

Last edited by TheFlash (CDCB) : 08-21-2012 at 08:00 PM.