Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
I'm gonna start my new Cowboys Draft Campaign now.

No more promoting us to take offensive players in the first round for me. I say we should address Defense, Defense and more Defense.
So even if someone like Ginn is sitting there staring us in the face, you'd go defense?
The only sensible Defensive picks for the Cowboys in the first round are:

LaRon Landry - not going to get him
Reggie Nelson - possibility but not likely
Amobi Okoye - slim chance we could get him
Michael Griffin - If Blaylock or Brown are available along with Griffin Id Take one of them first.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbigbody
Limas Sweed go pro.
Get rid of T.O.
Trade down 7-10 spots, draft Sweed.
Usually when the draft is loaded at one spot tht perceived commodity goes slwo and the commodity that is short (DL) goes fast ... so I think a quality WR can be had 2nd and 3rd. Austin and Meachem's numbers will be similar. Folks say Rice is bigger with great hands but slower. Everyone has forgotten Smardjia.

But to me, if this draft is longer Offensive Talent than D (seems so) and we think we could upgrade O with young talent in the 2nd and 3rd then trade the 1 for a 2 and 3. Get younger and deep.

But if we have two 2s and two 3s and trade a Julius or Burnett for another 2 ...... can you imagine ......

Get a WR like Meacham or Rice or Smardjia or Sweed in 2 or 3.
Get a RB like a Michael Bush or Lorenzo Booker in 2 or 3.
Get an OG like a Grubbs or OT like Staley in 2. Ramerize 3
Get a S like a Weddle in 2 or Piscatelli in 3.
Get a OLB tweener like Moss or Francis or Woodley in 2 03.

I can easily see a mid-level 1 talent in a "Franchise Position" sliding to 22 and then trading that pick to help another team trade up to fill a critical need.

We aren't going to a get starter anyway at 22. so, one can dream anyway.......
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My New Big Board (for my new campaign):

1. Reggie Nelson
2. LaRon Landry
3. Michael Griffin
4. Anthony Spencer
5. Amobi Okoye
6. Adam Carriker
7. DeMarcus Tyler
8. Daymeion Hughes
9. Jarvis Moss
10. LaMarr Woodley

Do you guys think Charles Johnson would fit our schemes?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Peterson from OK coming out.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

1. Reggie Nelson
2. LaRon Landry
3. Michael Griffin
4. Anthony Spencer
5. Amobi Okoye
6. Adam Carriker
7. DeMarcus Tyler
8. Daymeion Hughes
9. Jarvis Moss
10. LaMarr Woodley

Anthony Spencer will drop. He's gonna be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. With Adams, Moses, Woodley, Abriamiri, and Jamal Andersen all rated above him by most people, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the 4th round.

Usually when youre rated as the 6th ranked person in your position, youre looking at the 3rd round at earliest.

I like Spencer though, and I think he's gonna be a later round gem for somebody.

I hope and pray we nab Reggie Nelson before you guys do. I do not want to see him in a Cowboy uniform. Anyway, it sounds like BP (if he stays) is big on Watkins, so I don't think youre drafting a FS in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that Dallas will either sign a CB, OG or BPA.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:

1. Reggie Nelson
2. LaRon Landry
3. Michael Griffin
4. Anthony Spencer
5. Amobi Okoye
6. Adam Carriker
7. DeMarcus Tyler
8. Daymeion Hughes
9. Jarvis Moss
10. LaMarr Woodley

Anthony Spencer will drop. He's gonna be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. With Adams, Moses, Woodley, Abriamiri, and Jamal Andersen all rated above him by most people, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the 4th round.

Usually when youre rated as the 6th ranked person in your position, youre looking at the 3rd round at earliest.

I like Spencer though, and I think he's gonna be a later round gem for somebody.

I hope and pray we nab Reggie Nelson before you guys do. I do not want to see him in a Cowboy uniform. Anyway, it sounds like BP (if he stays) is big on Watkins, so I don't think youre drafting a FS in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that Dallas will either sign a CB, OG or BPA.
LOL. I think the opposite... I think Spencer will rise... Hopefully not too much. heh.

Why do you say BP is high on Watkins?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Rumor on the DMN is Capers rebuffed Parcells. No source however. Kind of hard to believe given the coaching situation in Miami though. Too bad if true.

Parcells looks like he is back though. Apparently he is still working pretty hard.

Also, interesting article on DMN giving luke warm praise to Zimmer. Interesting article.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Reggie Nelson
2. LaRon Landry
3. Michael Griffin
4. Anthony Spencer
5. Amobi Okoye
6. Adam Carriker
7. DeMarcus Tyler
8. Daymeion Hughes
9. Jarvis Moss
10. LaMarr Woodley

LOL. I think the opposite... I think Spencer will rise... Hopefully not too much. heh.

Why do you say BP is high on Watkins?
BP said that he feels that Watkins will be a good player in this league. I think people are overreacting to Watkins play early in the year. Remember, he was a rookie playing alongside Roy Williams. Thats tough. Towards the end of the year, he played very well. And with an offseason under his belt, he'll be even better next year.

Physically, there isn't a single safety in this draft that is any better than Watkins. The ability is there. Now with gametime practice and an offseason, he'll be ready to make a bigger impact next year.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, the problem isn't FS, its SS. Roy must work on his coverage in the offseason. The SS is far too critical of a position in the 3-4 for Roy to be the way he is right now. A FS will not solve the problems in coverage, only Roy can.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heres a list of last years picks with ratings (1-10) and synopsis of each:

RD1 - Bobby Carpenter (6) - Although he wasn't given the chance to, he didn't make any considerably good plays until late. But since his last game was his best, it is pretty damn encouraging.

RD2 - Anthony Fasano (6) - A surprising pick when last year, and since Pierce and Hannam both went to IR early, it turned out to be a genius pick. I think he made just as many bonehead plays as he made good plays, but I guess a rookie is destined to make some mistakes. Glad to have the young guy in the system though.

RD3 - Jason Hatcher (9) - Easily the best of the 2006 draft for Dallas. I think he deserves a starting spot at DE next year, even if it means demoting Spears. The kid just seems alot faster, more natural talent, and(most importantly) more motivated.

RD4 - Skyler Green (2) - Only reason he gets a 2 is because he actually touched the ball 8 times in the regular season. Wasted pick.

RD5 - Patrick Watkins (7) - Im definetly not ready to give up on this kid. He definetly made more good plays than bad plays. The TD he gave up against Philly was a striaght up bonehead play though. Like I said before rookies are gonna make mistakes. I don't give him the FS job in 2007 by any means yet though. We bring in people make him compete for the job, then we;ll see what hes worth. Overall a good selection in my mind.

As far as Montavious Stanley, Pat McQuistan, and E.J. Whitley, they were ungradeable. Did not see them enough this season. Will have to see them through another training camp to truly see how good they are or can be.

Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076

RD1 - Bobby Carpenter (6) - Although he wasn't given the chance to, he didn't make any considerably good plays until late. But since his last game was his best, it is pretty damn encouraging.

RD2 - Anthony Fasano (6) - A surprising pick when last year, and since Pierce and Hannam both went to IR early, it turned out to be a genius pick. I think he made just as many bonehead plays as he made good plays, but I guess a rookie is destined to make some mistakes. Glad to have the young guy in the system though.

RD3 - Jason Hatcher (9) - Easily the best of the 2006 draft for Dallas. I think he deserves a starting spot at DE next year, even if it means demoting Spears. The kid just seems alot faster, more natural talent, and(most importantly) more motivated.

RD4 - Skyler Green (2) - Only reason he gets a 2 is because he actually touched the ball 8 times in the regular season. Wasted pick.

RD5 - Patrick Watkins (7) - Im definetly not ready to give up on this kid. He definetly made more good plays than bad plays. The TD he gave up against Philly was a striaght up bonehead play though. Like I said before rookies are gonna make mistakes. I don't give him the FS job in 2007 by any means yet though. We bring in people make him compete for the job, then we;ll see what hes worth. Overall a good selection in my mind.

As far as Montavious Stanley and Pat McQuistan go they were ungradeable. Did not see them enough this season. Will have to see them through another training camp to truly see how good they are or can be.

Thoughts?
One guy everyone has forgotten is E.J. Whitley, our second 7th round pick--OL from Texas Tech. He tore up a knee in rookie mini-camp and has been on IR all year. Assumably he'll be back with them, at least for mini-camps. While he probably only has an outside shot, I wouldn't dismiss him completely. One of the reasons they were interested in him is that he had played every position on the O-line except for center, and you know how BP loves versatile players. Also, he's had a year to work on his strength.

Just something to keep in mind.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

fixed it
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Depends how youre juding the grades. Right now, you can only grade their impact of this past year. You can't really project too accurately.

I think Carp is gonna be a big time player next year. The question is, where do you put him? Ellis will be back in the lineup. Burnett deserves playing time. It seems to me that youre a little too stacked at LB right now, and that will make for interesting TC discussion.

Fasano was disappointing quite honestly. He shouldve done a much better job blocking. He'll improve, but he mightve been a reach for the 2nd round.

Watkins and Hatcher will be great I think in their respective roles.

Green was a waste.

But the big question will be Carp. I think he deserves time on the field. But it leaves you with either Burnett or Ellis on the bench.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

As far as Montavious Stanley, Pat McQuistan, and E.J. Whitley, they were ungradeable. Did not see them enough this season. Will have to see them through another training camp to truly see how good they are or can be.

I got a Giants fans' opinion and someone's opinon on EJ Whitley. Anyone else?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Rumor on the DMN is Capers rebuffed Parcells. No source however. Kind of hard to believe given the coaching situation in Miami though. Too bad if true.

Parcells looks like he is back though. Apparently he is still working pretty hard.

Also, interesting article on DMN giving luke warm praise to Zimmer. Interesting article.
Funny, on the way to work today, ESPN Radio said BP needs more time to think about what he plans to do, whether he will return or not... and that he has until the end of the month to let Jerry know.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Depends how youre juding the grades. Right now, you can only grade their impact of this past year. You can't really project too accurately.

I think Carp is gonna be a big time player next year. The question is, where do you put him? Ellis will be back in the lineup. Burnett deserves playing time. It seems to me that youre a little too stacked at LB right now, and that will make for interesting TC discussion.

Fasano was disappointing quite honestly. He shouldve done a much better job blocking. He'll improve, but he mightve been a reach for the 2nd round.

Green was a waste.

But the big question will be Carp. I think he deserves time on the field. But it leaves you with either Burnett or Ellis on the bench.
I hate the booty licking BBD but you are right on with the draft, the FS situation and the SS situation. Can't find a word to differ on.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Funny, on the way to work today, ESPN Radio said BP needs more time to think about what he plans to do, whether he will return or not... and that he has until the end of the month to let Jerry know.
Maybe BP only comes back if he can bring in someone he wants for DC.

I think BP can live with the O not being to his standards but drives him nuts to see his 3-4 managed and played poorly.

I said Al Groh maybe a choice and that would take some time given his role at UVa.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Think about it

If BP comes back it probably be for one good run again. That being said you have to start asking yourself who would be next inline. I think next year would be at the very least BP last.........Urban Mayer....National Champ......he could come.... Bill Cowler think about it.......Lovie Smith if he doesn't get paid. JJ is not going to pick some no name........

As for the draft.....I would want a safety, but ...that is a lot of money back there. I think we coudl get a safety in round 2. I think Keith Davies is gone only because it would free some money...and why have him. I think OL is were we are going.......

my position big board is
1st OL
2nd S
3rd WR
4. DL

But if some RB or WR or Safety falls who has great value i think we jump at it....and I think we might trade down....this year. 22 is a pick were teams start moving up....a team that thinks it one player away.

On the record....
Jarrett, Brown, landry, blaclock Griffin
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Green was a waste.

I don't think we're too stacked at LB. If Ellis comes back next year it should be about right, and if not we will be a little short handed, imo. I think the perfect fit would be to play Carpenter on the nickel, and then have him come in at SOLB on middling downs, like 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 4 - in packages where we don't want to leave our base package, but it is a little more of a pass oriented down. That and using him in relief at ILB should give him all that he can handle.

As for Burnett, he seems to be in about the right role for him. He is more of a 4-3 type guy, and will never be bulky enough to play as a regular in our base package, except maybe on the weakside, and we all know that that isn't going to happen. Even if it did, he probably isn't a good enough pass rusher to make that worthwile, either. He definately shouldn't be playing on the strong side.

As for Fasano, I would caution against being too harsh on him. Rookie TEs usually have their most difficulty with their blocking assignments. He was decent, though he made some really bad plays. Usually his problem, according to BP, is his first two steps. He doesn't start out at the correct angle to the play, and ends up just a tad out of position. That is the sort of thing that comes with practice and repitition. Overall, the position is not one that has seen a tremendous amount of success from first year players. Gates, Witten, Gonzalez, Heap, and now even Vernon Davis all had so-so rookie campaigns - and each of those vets went on to break out in the second year. If we see Fasano making the same mistakes next year, and not upping his production in the recieving game, then we can start to worry. Right now, though, I would put an 7.5 on his first year grade.

It's a difficult time right now with our position at both DE and FS, because we have young players that have star potential in place, but that have had some serious struggles this past season. So we are faced with a decision to either have faith in their future development and risk having them torpedo our defense the same way next year, or go for a vet and compromise their development, or give up on them entirely and draft a replacement. Bad times. This is going to be the most interesting aspect of the off season for me, personally, to watch. Our hopes rest upon it.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I think Parcells should transform Marcus Spears into a NT.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:

Green was a waste.

I don't think we're too stacked at LB. If Ellis comes back next year it should be about right, and if not we will be a little short handed, imo. I think the perfect fit would be to play Carpenter on the nickel, and then have him come in at SOLB on middling downs, like 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 4 - in packages where we don't want to leave our base package, but it is a little more of a pass oriented down. That and using him in relief at ILB should give him all that he can handle.

As for Burnett, he seems to be in about the right role for him. He is more of a 4-3 type guy, and will never be bulky enough to play as a regular in our base package, except maybe on the weakside, and we all know that that isn't going to happen. Even if it did, he probably isn't a good enough pass rusher to make that worthwile, either. He definately shouldn't be playing on the strong side.

As for Fasano, I would caution against being too harsh on him. Rookie TEs usually have their most difficulty with their blocking assignments. He was decent, though he made some really bad plays. Usually his problem, according to BP, is his first two steps. He doesn't start out at the correct angle to the play, and ends up just a tad out of position. That is the sort of thing that comes with practice and repitition. Overall, the position is not one that has seen a tremendous amount of success from first year players. Gates, Witten, Gonzalez, Heap, and now even Vernon Davis all had so-so rookie campaigns - and each of those vets went on to break out in the second year. If we see Fasano making the same mistakes next year, and not upping his production in the recieving game, then we can start to worry. Right now, though, I would put an 7.5 on his first year grade.

It's a difficult time right now with our position at both DE and FS, because we have young players that have star potential in place, but that have had some serious struggles this past season. So we are faced with a decision to either have faith in their future development and risk having them torpedo our defense the same way next year, or go for a vet and compromise their development, or give up on them entirely and draft a replacement. Bad times. This is going to be the most interesting aspect of the off season for me, personally, to watch. Our hopes rest upon it.
I think FS will be fine. Id sign a vet backup replacement just in case. But I wouldn't draft a replacement to hinder Watkins development. I think the DEs could use a 3-4 DC who can slam in their head the basic principles of their respective roles in the 3-4, because after watching that film Ive realized that most of the issues are mental issues for the DEs. You have good depth with Hatcher, Id maybe invest another later round DT to add some depth just in case.

SS will be decided by Roy. He needs to dedicate himself in the offseason. His contract puts the organization in a tough spot, all you could really do is hope that he improves in the offseason, and if not, hope the pass rush is maximized to help his defeciencies. If he comes back to TC in the same shape, Id consider drafting another LB/DE to improve the pass rush, and moving Ware to Strongside LB.

In regards to Carp. Your utilization of him works in theory, but one thing Ive learned from playing the game is you need consistent repitition from the same position. Its very difficult to get a groove into the game when youre being moved around in different positions in different situations. It takes you out of sink, and your play regresses. It works well with pass rushers because theyre able to attack different areas of the oline, but for guys who are asked to cover more often than rush, it becomes an issue. I think they tried some of that with him this year and he didn't excell in it. In fact, he started picking it up once they gave him SAM duties and stuck with him there.

Of course theres certain players who can do that, like Ware and Merriman as perfect examples. But not everyone is the same, and I don't know if Carp is at that stage in his development where you can move him around. He needs to get settled first, and it seems to me he's just starting to get settled in the SAM role. Now he can dedicate an offseason to improving as a SAM, instead of being confused about what his role is on the team. I think he's another year of development away from being able to interchange between MIKE and SAM with consistent success.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I admit I'm fishing here.... and it may not be a good idea...

But I'm convinced that we need a great NT if we want our Defense to get to that elite level.

Unfortunately the draft is weak at NT and the FA crop doesn't look very promising either.

Big Ferg is steady, but he simply does not even demand a double team.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I admit I'm fishing here.... and it may not be a good idea...

But I'm convinced that we need a great NT if we want our Defense to get to that elite level.

Unfortunately the draft is weak at NT and the FA crop doesn't look very promising either.

Big Ferg is steady, but he simply does not even demand a double team.
Ian Scott should hit the free agent market and I think he'd be a very solid NT in a 3-4. He'll obviously have to bulk up some, but he's a tremendous run-stopper, he just can't penetrate well which is why he's not a starter on our team anymore.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Are you fishing for a comment from me on this one? Okay, I'll take bait.

I think this idea has been murdered and mocked a few times.

BTW, I think he would make a good NT but it is not a major priority.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
I know I said I was done aknowledging you but...it just got to be too much..so hopefully I will show you were I'm coming from. I'm gonna go back in the archive a bit and show you why you opinions aren't respected.

Quote:
Also how about Spears to NT? Hatcher to RDE and Canty to LDE.

Use the Fergie money for something else?
You want to convert our underachieving DE to NT...at the time it didn't make alot of sense because Spears wasn't in such a slump...but now that idea doesn't seem so out of left field. But trading the most important player on our defense to get some money to spend on FA makes no sense to me and makes me laugh. Not only would we lose a true player...but we would be counting on a guy who has never played the nose in his life to come in and contribute at a high level...this idea is very farfetched.
So, I think Thule would have some ideas as to why not...... I think Spears body type if perfect for that spot.

I also think there are some name floating out there -- Jenkins (Car), Rogers (Det), Williams (Stl) -- as possible upgrades over an arguably stable position.

To me NT is not a priority but if you can get a stud or even keep Fergie while maybe grooming Spears as a back up / future starter .......

Big Blue???? You think Spears maybe a bust. How about NT?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Are you fishing for a comment from me on this one? Okay, I'll take bait.

I think this idea has been murdered and mocked a few times.

BTW, I think he would make a good NT but it is not a major priority.
Really? Who brought up the idea the other time?

..and I don't care if it was mocked, but I'm more interested in what were the main points of criticism that were made?

...and I disagree with you in that I think a dominant NT is the biggest area of concern on our defense.