Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Quote:
heres my dream pick...trade our #1 and #3 and j.j to houston for their #1, 8 overall and draft ADRIAN PETTERSON. :D :D. our running back problems and our o-line problems would dissapear. i know its just a dream but that would make my day.
Ya, let's trade away two valueable draft picks and a solid RB for one that is coming off of a serious injury and is unproven in the nfl. We need help on the Oline and defensive side of the ball. Not in the backfield.
the injury was not serious and jj is solid at best. ummmm who is a proven nfl player in the draft? adrian would make our o-line better just like emmitt did.
How would adrian make our line better? Smith was a good back, but let's fac e the facts, w/o a strong line he never would've come close to that record.
There is compleing logic to moving up for a franchise skill position player. AP or Marshawn are potential stars and you can't expect a good team will keep all 7 draft choices. This is a good team and the days of 7th rounders starting should be over.

AP or Marshawn. Nice if you ask me. So many ways to go.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:54 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we address OG in FA...this whole draft can be BPA.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:03 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we'll move up it would be to pick Alan Branch...
Btw, I think we'll pick a free agent guard to be in better position on draft day.. And than we have to pick the BPA, no matter the position he play.
Right now at #22 I think we would able to pick Blalock, Brown, Griffin or Rice/Jarrett..

In which round do you think are going to get pick Carriker and Alama-Francis? Abd Ramirez?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish Dat Nguyen hadn't retired. Really big loss. I just have this feeling that he was very underrated. Plus Dexter Coakley. Those guys were both really good players.

Speaking of OL. We need an attitude on that line. Get some guys who are big and mean and aren't afraid to run over the over team when JJ's back there. Too many times this season we were taking 2-3 yard runs as satisfactory. This would really help our defense in terms of controlling the clock and keeping them off the field. Pretty much all the games where the opposition had more time of possession were losses.

Plus, it really never seems like we get in 3rd and 2-4 yard situations. I feel like when the offense isn't clicking there are a lot of 3rd and long scenarios and that begs Romo to throw into coverage.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
If we address OG in FA...this whole draft can be BPA.
I think we will address OG in FA. There's several out there that would work well. As far as the draft, I think we'll go BPA in rould one, and then let it go from there. If we go Guard in FA, I'd like to see this:

1.DeMarcus Tyler
2.Anthony Gonzalez
3.Jonathan Wade
4.Kevin Kolb
5.BPA
7.BPA
7.BPA
7.BPA

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

reigle9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reigle9
Assume the very best case scenario happens and you were in charge, how would your day one go?

1. LaRon Landry - Justin Blalock
2. Robert Meachum - Michael Griffin
3. Mason Crosby - Johnnie Lee Higgins
Griffin at 54....get real.
Way to just look past my qualifier.
reigle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Assume the very best case scenario happens and you were in charge, how would your day one go?

1. LaRon Landry - Justin Blalock
2. Robert Meachum - Michael Griffin
3. Mason Crosby - Johnnie Lee Higgins
Griffin at 54....get real.
Way to just look past my qualifier.
Meacham is being talked about as a first rounder. Odds not likely that he'll be there at 54 either.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
If we'll move up it would be to pick Alan Branch...
Btw, I think we'll pick a free agent guard to be in better position on draft day.. And than we have to pick the BPA, no matter the position he play.
Right now at #22 I think we would able to pick Blalock, Brown, Griffin or Rice/Jarrett..

In which round do you think are going to get pick Carriker and Alama-Francis? Abd Ramirez?
Carriker will be taken in round 1 by someone. Francis probably won't be there for us in the 3rd. Do you want to spend a 2nd rounder on him? I'm a Hawaii fan and I don't.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any thoughts on CB? I haven't done my homework on CBs this year, so any info on CBs in this draft would be appreciated.

Also, do any of you feel that CB may be what you take in Round 1? Considering you may be on a BPA round 1 pick, CB could make sense considering the age of your other 2 CBs outside of Newman.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Any thoughts on CB? I haven't done my homework on CBs this year, so any info on CBs in this draft would be appreciated.

Also, do any of you feel that CB may be what you take in Round 1? Considering you may be on a BPA round 1 pick, CB could make sense considering the age of your other 2 CBs outside of Newman.
My Rankings:
Small descriptions of what I think of them.
TOP 4

1. Josh Wilson-Very fast, athletic and phyical. Hes only downfall to me is his height but with with VJ(which I expect to be around 44) he should be ok. Just don't match him up against Plax in the redstone. Smart and I think he could develop into a leader. Good hands, terrific return man. Will probably run under 4.35 and maybe just maybe run in the 4.2's. I am for sure he atleast has legit 4.3X speed. I say Plax because we are getting him.

2. Leon Hall- Good fluid hips, is probably more quick than fast. Excellent intangibles actually reminds me alot of Rolle. Meaning he could move to safety and still do atleast decent. I will admit I only watched about 3 games but it seemed he never lined up on a speed guy. Could be a problem if you expect him to your #1 corner for years.

3.Marcus McCauley- Just a Great athlete all around but there's just something about him to me that I don't think is right. Needs to get his head on right or something.

4. Daymeion Hughes- I think he will surprise alot of people and run under a 4.5. He will probably go round 2. I think he would be a perfect fit for the Giants actually. Although he may not have that 4.4 flat speed he makes up for it in playmaking ability and excellent I mean excellent ball skills think of the way Henry played last seaonn, meaning 2005 pre-injury and I think you got what he will be his whole career. A playmaking corner with good but not great speed.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
heres my dream pick...trade our #1 and #3 and j.j to houston for their #1, 8 overall and draft ADRIAN PETTERSON. :D :D. our running back problems and our o-line problems would dissapear. i know its just a dream but that would make my day.
Ya, let's trade away two valueable draft picks and a solid RB for one that is coming off of a serious injury and is unproven in the nfl. We need help on the Oline and defensive side of the ball. Not in the backfield.
the injury was not serious and jj is solid at best. ummmm who is a proven nfl player in the draft? adrian would make our o-line better just like emmitt did.
How would adrian make our line better? Smith was a good back, but let's fac e the facts, w/o a strong line he never would've come close to that record.
the year before emmitt got here our line was considered one of the worst in the league. after emmitt newton, gogan, ect.. were going to probowls. when you have a great back the line doesnt have to open huge holes because he can find a crease and also pick up yards when nothing is there. he would make our defense better also because we could control the clock and the defense can rest. a great back can make things happen by himself at times ala l.t. i would gladly trade up for a.d. and it sounds like your in the minority for thinking otherwise.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So who are the top available guards in free agency (top 5)

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
So who are the top available guards in free agency (top 5)
eric steinbach is regarded as the best avaliable but i hope we go after kris dielman. he is exactly the kind of o-lineman we need. wont command as much money as steinbach but he is a great run blocker and hes only 26 i believe.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

heres all the o-line free agents i believe:

Starks RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is a starting tackle for a Super Bowl champion. That’s enough in itself to get some teams a little excited about the prospects of acquiring him. The fact that Starks is young, talented, and massive in stature—listed at 6’8”, 337 lbs.—just adds to the excitement pile. Another lineman that shouldn’t be going anywhere as the Steelers will not let Starks go without a fight. The best bet is that Starks will decide he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and sign an extension. If he hits the market, there will be a team or two willing to pay a big amount to entice the tackle to relocate.

Leonard Davis UFA Arizona Cardinals
Davis is a massive tackle that the Cardinals can’t afford to lose to free agency, but it seems likely that they will. The Arizona offensive line is already suspect, and losing Davis would be a huge step in the wrong direction, but the team may have to let him go and find a replacement. Davis has shown the ability to simply be a wall of protection for his quarterback and while teams might not line up for the chance to sign him, anyone looking for a tackle will have him high on the list.

Mike Gandy, UFA, Buffalo Bills
A relatively young starting left tackle, Gandy had been blocking for Willis McGahee over the past two seasons, and this season could go a long way in making Gandy an appealing free agent. He has talent, but isn’t considered among the league’s best linemen. However, a decent starting left tackle doesn’t just drop from the sky, so expect him to garner interest from a handful of teams, if Buffalo doesn’t re-sign him before the market opens.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen
Eric Steinbach, UFA, Bengals
Jordan Black, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos
Derrick Dockery, UFA, Washington Redskins
Nat Dorsey, RFA, Cleveland Browns
Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Norm Katnik, RFA, New York Jets
Ryan Lilja, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Sean Locklear, RFA, Seattle Seahawks
Roman Oben, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Brian Rimpf, RFA, Baltimore Ravens
Eric Steinbach, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Todd Steussie, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Kris Dielman, UFA, San Diego
Damion McIntosh, UFA, Miami Dolphins
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I've been having a debate with some friends so I pose the question to you guys: does Tony Romo suck? A simple yes/no answer will do.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
I've been having a debate with some friends so I pose the question to you guys: does Tony Romo suck? A simple yes/no answer will do.
no
Old 01-13-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Julius needs to keep his feet moving like Jammal Lewis.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone have any info on the search for a defensive coordinator? Who have we interviewed and who is likely to get the job?

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

ncbigbody hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Does anyone have any info on the search for a defensive coordinator? Who have we interviewed and who is likely to get the job?
Quote:
So with Zimmer now out of the mix, just where will the Cowboys turn?

It's likely Parcells will at least look to find a replacement with more experience in the 3-4 scheme. Zimmer has coached a 4-3 defense in the past before Parcells, and the Cowboys switched to the 3-4 before the 2005 season. It is expected Zimmer will return to a 4-3 defense with the Falcons next season.

There is a chance the Cowboys could promote from within to replace Zimmer.

If that happens, look for linebackers coach Paul Pasqualoni and secondary coach Todd Bowles to be the two leading candidates.

Pasqualoni certainly has the edge in coaching experience, having served the last two years here in Dallas as tight ends coach in 2005 and then overseeing the linebacker position this past season. Prior to arriving in Dallas, he finished an 18-year stint with the University of Syracuse that included 14 years as the head coach.

As for Bowles, who also has been on the staff for the last two years as the secondary coach, he brings a different coaching style that appears to be easily welcomed by the players. Bowles, 43, played eight years in the NFL as a defensive back, but has spent the last six years coaching in the league with the Jets, Browns and now the Cowboys.

While Zimmer went ahead to Atlanta, the contracts of four other assistant coaches - special teams coach Bruce DeHaven, offensive quality control coach David Lee, running backs coach Anthony Lynn and safeties coach Mike MacIntyre - are all expiring after this season.

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
January 11, 2007 6:00 PM

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan
ncbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

Safety Option

Jones also said during Friday's radio segment that the club might consider moving starting corner Anthony Henry to safety next year.

The Cowboys rotated multiple players at free safety alongside Roy Williams this past season, including rookie Pat Watkins and veterans Keith Davis and Marcus Coleman.

Henry, who signed a five-year, $25.2 million deal in 2005 that included a $10 million signing bonus, just recorded the most single-season pass breakups by a Cowboys defensive back (23) since Everson Walls in 1984.

Jones has said he'd like to see Williams move closer to the line of scrimmage at safety next year. The Cowboys' safeties struggled in pass coverage, and Henry played free safety his first three years at South Florida before moving to corner as a senior.

"We hope that either through the evolving of somebody that's on campus right now, on our roster, or bringing them on, certainly you've got to defend deep if you bring Roy up (closer)," Jones said.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Number-94

I really think you all are giving up on Watkins to quick. I mean if Nelson was there then you pick him. Maybe even Griffin. But as far as physical talent Watkins is every bit as talented as them. I'm not as high as I was on Nelson after watching Ginn run right by him. I thought he had that speed.

I'm actually pretty high on Ginn I don't care who you are, he will run faster then you. He is just that fast.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:39 PM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

reigle9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Haha, I give up. Forget it.
reigle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the year before emmitt got here our line was considered one of the worst in the league. after emmitt newton, gogan, ect.. were going to probowls. when you have a great back the line doesnt have to open huge holes because he can find a crease and also pick up yards when nothing is there. he would make our defense better also because we could control the clock and the defense can rest. a great back can make things happen by himself at times ala l.t. i would gladly trade up for a.d. and it sounds like your in the minority for thinking otherwise.
This is a very good observation. A franchise TB makes a huge difference.

Lynch or AP is a huge upgrade.

For example, look at how the pass blocking improved once Bledsoe sat.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Haha, I give up. Forget it.
I hear ya Reigle.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94
I really think you all are giving up on Watkins to quick. I mean if Nelson was there then you pick him. Maybe even Griffin. But as far as physical talent Watkins is every bit as talented as them. I'm not as high as I was on Nelson after watching Ginn run right by him. I thought he had that speed.

I'm actually pretty high on Ginn I don't care who you are, he will run faster then you. He is just that fast.
Ginn has Prime Time Speed so not fair to expect a FS to run with him, even Nelson.